2020-2021 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For anyone attending OHSU next year... can you please volunteer to help the admissions office with data entry next April?? :D
Seriously...I'd love to.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For anyone attending OHSU next year... can you please volunteer to help the admissions office with data entry next April?? :D

If by "data entry" you mean overhauling the entire process, count me in!

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do people think more As are coming out, or just waitlists and Rs? It's so hard to know what to expect! ugh

Do people think more As are coming out, or just waitlists and Rs? It's so hard to know what to expect! ugh
I feel like logically at this point it'll only be a sprinkle of A's and mostly WL and R's. When I was stalking last years thread though there was someone who received an A after their friend already got their WL rank. You'd think OHSU would update portals by groups of A, WL, or R but it seems like they're going by some other system.

Edit: I've also tried to find a pattern to their updates but I've ruled out interview date and hold date. Maybe they're going by our scores. I doubt it's alphabetical.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 users
I feel like logically at this point it'll only be a sprinkle of A's and mostly WL and R's. When I was stalking last years thread though there was someone who received an A after their friend already got their WL rank. You'd think OHSU would update portals by groups of A, WL, or R but it seems like they're going by some other system.
OHSU has a very unique system. I have heard from several others OHSU puts all of our names in a blue and pin-striped cowboy hat, then the names drawn are put into a generic algorithm to produce a number from 1-100. If the person's birthday, who is pulling from the hat, sees a number that is in accordance to their DOB then the person who's name is pulled is accepted.

If not, they are rejected. The WL is obviously just a prank though. (Not Adcom, just heard from a friend of a friend's mother-in-law's great aunt).

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
maybe each person who’s responsible for updating the portals goes off what their horoscope tells them

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Or maybe they throw darts at a giant list of us and update the portal of whoever the dart lands on!

• Haha
Or maybe they throw darts at a giant list of us and update the portal of whoever the dart lands on!
horoscope is a bit too regimented. I'm thinking they go off ~the vibe~ they feel when they enter each of our (identical) portals
OHSU has a very unique system. I have heard from several others OHSU puts all of our names in a blue and pin-striped cowboy hat, then the names drawn are put into a generic algorithm to produce a number from 1-100. If the person's birthday, who is pulling from the hat, sees a number that is in accordance to their DOB then the person who's name is pulled is accepted.

If not, they are rejected. The WL is obviously just a prank though. (Not Adcom, just heard from a friend of a friend's mother-in-law's great aunt).
At least we can all laugh through the pain 😂😂

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
horoscope is a bit too regimented. I'm thinking they go off ~the vibe~ they feel when they enter each of our (identical) portals
okay...no joke...but my parents did consult an astrologer.

and after all of this, I FIRMLY DO NOT believe. But to be fair, he just said that mid-April on would be favorable. He was probably referring to meme crypto and not med school.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is the alternate list the same as the waitlist?
I got a portal update. Sorry I deleted the og post since I was kinda in shock at the moment. But is alternate WL?

Reactions: 1 users
In state, Wait List, high number but would have gotten in last year, just updated.
Not sure if I should be happy or sad. I have a chance, but it is not great.

Just got put on the alternate list, but can't see the number (biggest tease after refreshing 25/8 ugh), is there someone I call to ask as an MD/MPH applicant?

Thank you! Do you think it'd be too early to call today, I feel like I still have no idea whether I have a chance or no without my number 😭
You can try! My portal hasn’t updated yet but if I end up waitlisted, I’ll be in the same situation. I can’t imagine having to wait until Monday!

Just got put on the alternate list, but can't see the number (biggest tease after refreshing 25/8 ugh), is there someone I call to ask as an MD/MPH applicant?
I’m an MD/MPH applicant too and I just got put on the alternate list. I can’t see my rank either. 😭

• Care
Do you think if you're still on hold at this point, it means rejection?

• Sad
I was accepted today! I'm super excited but am confused about a couple of things. I have an acceptance to another school and I know they are not checking for PTE for another week and do not require CTE until the end of June. The OHSU portal says acceptance emails will be sent in 4-6 weeks and that we do not have to do anything until then. Am I understanding that correctly? Essentially, we just wait to accept the offer of acceptance until we receive this email? I guess I'm looking for verification that I do not have to make an immediate decision today and will be able to take a week or two to consider the pros and cons of both schools before withdrawing/committing to one. Thanks for any help that can be offered!

I got ranked a number that will almost positively get an acceptance but I'm slightly bummed it's not an A yet but also overwhelmed that I have gotten so close!!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Waitlist today, IS reapplicant. Hoping the motion through the waitlist is comparable to prior years, though 2020-21 has been a unique year for the application process. Closer than ever before! Cheers to you all.

Are other md/mph folks still waiting for an update at all? I’m still on hold ughhh

Got on waitlist at a rank past like 80 lmfao that's basically like a rejection right? Idk how the waitlist movement works at OHSU.

Just emailed to withdraw my MD/MPH acceptance. I’m super confused because OHSU popped up on the choose my medical school tool so I felt pressured to narrow down to 1 today but I think I’m making the right decision. Really wish I had more time but so long, I hope the spot goes to one of y’all :)

• Care
Got on waitlist at a rank past like 80 lmfao that's basically like a rejection right? Idk how the waitlist movement works at OHSU.
Last year 48 were accepted off the list, but back in 2011 (I think), 106 were accepted off the list.

Just emailed to withdraw my MD/MPH acceptance. I’m super confused because OHSU popped up on the choose my medical school tool so I felt pressured to narrow down to 1 today but I think I’m making the right decision. Really wish I had more time but so long, I hope the spot goes to one of y’all :)
Thank you so much! I truly wish you all the best!

• Love
Waitlisted in the low 20s about an hour ago. I actually got an email notification before I was able to see it in the portal. Sad that it wasn't a solid A, but also glad it wasn't a straight R.

I've attached an excel sheet of trends of the waitlist movement that I found in last years thread. It's not mine!! I tried to go back to find the original poster to give credit where it's due but I still couldn't after 10 minutes of scrolling so I apologize!! If I understand correctly the number under each year indicated the movement at each particular date for that cycle.

Attachments

• OHSU Waitlist Trends 2019.xlsx
    11.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited by a moderator:
How do y'all think covid is going to affect the waitlist movement? I'm ranked at a number that's just barely at the cusp of getting accepted... >.> :rolleyes::(:confused::1poop:🙃🤪🥴

Ok but like... did they forget about me ☹️
Edit: Nosebleed waitlist. My heart is broken, it’s fine.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
In the email for alternates it says "Dual degree applicants will see notification of their portal status, but not the rank number". but I see a rank and I am a MD/MPH applicant...? Is that supposed to mean something?

In the email for alternates it says "Dual degree applicants will see notification of their portal status, but not the rank number". but I see a rank and I am a MD/MPH applicant...? Is that supposed to mean something?
Interesting! I got the same email. My portal just says “you’ve been selected to the alternate list.” There isn’t a ranking on mine.

MD/MPH alternate, will be withdrawing. Good luck everybody :)

• Care