2019-2020 Oregon Health and Science University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that's all she wrote for the rest of us. See y'all next year. I'm going thoughts-of-medicine free for the week, and will get back at it mid-May for the reapplication.

I just feel like my feedback is going to be "needs more clinical experience" even though I told my interviewer that I had been working full-time as an MA for 4 months since II. But my 1 on 1 interviewer seemed tired and didn't even know who I was, he spent 3-4 minutes looking at my app as soon as I walked in. I just wonder how much of this process is what kind of personality and energy level your interviewer is and how they present you to the committee.

I don't know. I'm disappointed and mad I had to wait 10 months to hear this.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 10 users
I just feel like my feedback is going to be "needs more clinical experience" even though I told my interviewer that I had been working full-time as an MA for 4 months since II. But my 1 on 1 interviewer seemed tired and didn't even know who I was, he spent 3-4 minutes looking at my app as soon as I walked in. I just wonder how much of this process is what kind of personality and energy level your interviewer is and how they present you to the committee.

Same situation. I was teaching abroad when I applied and started working as an MA when I got back, so I went from having little clinical experience to loads in between II and the interview. I'm sure it's why I won't be getting in.

My interviewer had a cold and didn't have a voice when I went it. She clearly wanted to go home and rushed it a lot. A big bummer, kind of wish it was a panel interview so if one person was having a bad day it didn't ruin your shot.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted MD/MPH today as an OOS. This is my dreem school so I am very excited. I just need to evaluate financial aid.

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was on hold, interviewed January!! Have you reached out to the program director? He had mentioned you could reach out for your position of where you are at, so you could try.
I reached out in March and was told that the committee had yet to review my file. I really want to email him today but feel like maybe I should just wait

Has anyone with a waitlist position <40 withdrawn? Please give this anxiety filled girl some hope that the waitlist will move soon :)

Reactions: 1 users
Officially withdrawn. Good luck, you guys!

ahhh, I'll miss seeing Dolly Parton on this page ;) Fun fact I was in a Dolly Parton music video called Welcome Home when I was like 8 hahaha. She's the nicest.

So happy that you got what you wanted!! I'll take over the role of using a female singer as an icon on this thread hahaha

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
Has anyone with a waitlist position <40 withdrawn? Please give this anxiety filled girl some hope that the waitlist will move soon :)
The waitlist is definitely going to move, there's people withdrawing their acceptances and a few who said they're withdrawing from the waitlist.

Reactions: 2 users
ahhh, I'll miss seeing Dolly Parton on this page ;) Fun fact I was in a Dolly Parton music video called Welcome Home when I was like 8 hahaha. She's the nicest.

So happy that you got what you wanted!! I'll take over the role of using a female singer as an icon on this thread hahaha

An actually Dolly Parton music video!?!?!? I hope that's what you wrote your personal statement about. :lol: A peak life experience, for sure.

Anyway, good luck to all of you! I know that this whole process has been incredibly stressful and I really feel for everyone still in the waiting game.

Edited b/c I initially wrote interview instead of music video, lol.

Last edited:
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone read house of god? I feel like Roy when he was saying “they can’t hurt me anymore” and the fat man kept reminding him, “they can always hurt you more”. Just instead of gomers it’s the OHSU admissions team lmao

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Alternate #137 y'all. Unless an apocalypse kills everyone that's a big fat R lol

Alternate #137 y'all. Unless an apocalypse kills everyone that's a big fat R lol
We are in a global pandemic, you never know:dead:

I'm sorry, i know that's not what you were hoping for.

Last edited:
We are in a global pandemic, you never know:dead:

I'm sorry, i know that's what you were hoping for.

it is what it is. I'll survive, I'm just f*cking tired of the waiting game. Another year of living with my parents and cleaning exam rooms, yay!

Are there usually this many people on the alternate list?? I feel like the numbers are strangely high

Are there usually this many people on the alternate list?? I feel like the numbers are strangely high

I agree. It seems weird, but I don’t know what they usually do. Have they had many people withdraw this year? Maybe this is good news for those ranked 50 - 70.

I'm not sure how it has been in other years, but they did tell me on the phone a while back that they rank the top 120-200 students on the alternate list.

I agree. It seems weird, but I don’t know what they usually do. Have they had many people withdraw this year? Maybe this is good news for those ranked 50 - 70.

Highest number I can see from the thread last year is 98. Really strange.
It will be interesting how the current world situation is gonna affect is, wonder if people are gonna change their minds because of everything happening or choose to wait in case it's just Zoom University Medical School for the upcoming year.

I'm not sure how it has been in other years, but they did tell me on the phone a while back that they rank the top 120-200 students on the alternate list.

they appear to have done almost double that at this point. It's a little weird

Someone had posted here that the highest number they have historically pulled from their waitlist was 106, so it would make sense that OHSU waitlists a ton of people just based on precedent. If they only waitlisted 100 people and (conversatively) 10% withdraw from the waitlist, they would not have filled their class that year they needed to pull 106 people. While it definitely sucks to be stuck on a waitlist, I guess you can't really blame OHSU for covering their bases.

Highest number I can see from the thread last year is 98. Really strange.
It will be interesting how the current world situation is gonna affect is, wonder if people are gonna change their minds because of everything happening or choose to wait in case it's just Zoom University Medical School for the upcoming year.
Someone I knew last year was in the 180's

On hold since 3/11 still nothing. I’m either getting a 200 spot on the WL or an R just f*cking click the button guys

• Sad
I think you should email him... he's super helpful and is really open to communicating with applicants!
I emailed him--no response yet, but my portal was just updated with alternate.

MD/MPH reapplicant, nontrad, IS, waitlisted last year. interviewed mid-feb. will update with alternate list number when I receive it.

edit: rank #166. poop.

Last edited:
Finally got my reply. Mid 170s on alternate list. See y’all next year

• Sad
Just got my waitlist, 150-170+. Pretty bummed out since it was my top choice. Congrats to all though!

Last edited:
  • Sad
The e-mail just came through for me, about 2.5 hours after my portal was updated. Just FYI for people waiting/future applicants

Future applicants, this year was WACK. that's all. Hope the memes entertain you along the way.

Reactions: 7 users
Just got the email about 30 minutes ago, was put on alternate list yesterday

Just got the email about 30 minutes ago, was put on alternate list yesterday

Same, I was placed on the alternate list yesterday afternoon and got the email a few minutes ago, almost 24 hours later. Since I applied MD/MPH, my rank wasn't put on the portal and it didn't come in the email either so I just replied asking if they can give me any more information!

Edit, I'm not sure if this will be useful to anyone future years, but I am #58

Last edited:
  • Wow
Was placed on alternate list (#4) yesterday! Here's to being extremely close, but not yet there

• Love
For all those upset about their result, I just wanted to put in my two cents. I got in this cycle but I've wanted to be a doctor since I was a kid, and I'm just now getting into med school in my mid 30's. I've spent time in the military and working as an engineer. Life is not a linear progression of milestones. It's OK to wander for awhile. Just always make sure you're moving forward. From my perspective, what OHSU wants is someone who really knows they want to be a physician. They understand the downsides, but they still want to spend their life helping those in need. Also, I think OHSU wants someone who really understands themselves, both their strengths and their weaknesses. It's more than just clinical experience or academic stats. But I also know it's harder to stand out as younger applicants. Don't be afraid to do something bold for a few years. If you really want it, anything is possible.

Reactions: 12 users
Hi everyone! Congrats to everyone who’s been admitted and good luck to the rank list gang (I’ve been there, you can do it!). Current OHSU MS4 here, wanted to make myself available if anybody has any questions about the school - classes, rotations, or anything in between! I don’t have a ton of insight into the admissions committee, but can give it my best shot. Feel free to DM me or ask on here. Congrats again and good luck to everyone gearing it up to give it another go :happy:

Do they start accepting off the alternate list on May 8th once they receive replies? Or are they starting today?

Do they start accepting off the alternate list on May 8th once they receive replies? Or are they starting today?

no one knows, they’ve started letting people know different days the last three years according to SDN. In 2019 it looks like people found out starting the 7th. In 2018 it was the first, and in 2017 it was the 5th. This is all based on previous forums though.

i hope they let us know soon though. I’m really not looking forward to moving across the country last minute during a global pandemic. However if this cycle has told us anything they are gonna go at their own pace..

Reactions: 4 users
I asked for feedback from OHSU on my application and they asked me this below. Would a bullet point format or paragraph be best suited to answer this? Feel like they will get a lot of requests for feedback and bullet points may be easier to digest.

"Include a self-assessment and reapplication plan. Please briefly share with us what you feel your strengths and areas for improvement are, and if you are planning to reapply. If you are reapplying, what is your plan at this point?"

I asked for feedback from OHSU on my application and they asked me this below. Would a bullet point format or paragraph be best suited to answer this? Feel like they will get a lot of requests for feedback and bullet points may be easier to digest.

"Include a self-assessment and reapplication plan. Please briefly share with us what you feel your strengths and areas for improvement are, and if you are planning to reapply. If you are reapplying, what is your plan at this point?"

From my perspective (as another applicant), I feel like either would be fine, depending on what feels more comfortable to you and best conveys what you want to write.

With either bullet points or paragraphs, maybe have sub-section titles? E.g.,

“Strengths”
“Areas for Improvement”
“Plans for reapplying”

Good luck and best wishes!!