Jefferson vs. UMich vs. Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jefferson vs. UMich vs. Missouri

• Total voters

FutahDoctah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first time posting and I am hoping for some advice. I have been fortunate enough to receive multiple MD acceptances and am having trouble choosing between three schools. I am a Missouri resident and am not exactly sure what I am interested in re my future career path. I am somewhat interest in ENT and would like to have the option to shoot for a competitive specialty.

Jefferson:
  • For me, the biggest perk of Jeff is the QOL/location/Jeff community. I got a great vibe at my interview day and could easily see myself fitting in as a student. Furthermore, I see both the larger student body and the great location in center city as big pluses. Because Jeff does not have an undergraduate component, it seems like the administration has more time and resources to devote solely to the medical school and to the well being of the students.
  • Students seem very very happy hear and not really that stressed out.
  • The curriculum seemed to be pretty standard. No problems with it.
  • COA would be about $80,000 a year.
  • Students seem to match pretty well, especially on the East Coast. I am not sure where I want to live/work in the long run.

Michigan:

• More prestigious name in medicine (?).
  • Better research opportunities and the option of a dual degree or additional classes through other highly ranked schools/programs.
  • I went to U of M and have already spent four years in AA. I really like Ann Arbor but it is a bit small. I was looking forward to spending the next four years in a bigger city with more going on and a better social scene.
  • COA would be about $80,000 a year.
  • I got a pretty good vibe on interview day. I liked the kids but seemed to click better with the kids at Jeff.
  • Great match list, although a lot of kids seem to stay in Michigan.
  • Almost all the students really seem to like the P/F for the first two years.
  • I know the curriculum has been going through some changes in the last year, including the addition of the MHome. Some students seem to be unhappy with the changes. It's a little scary going to a school with a newly revamped but untested curriculum.

Missouri:

• I am a Missouri resident, so the total cost of attendance is about $30,ooo a year cheaper. This is the biggest draw for me.
  • I feel like the student body (about 80% from Missouri) would be less diverse than it might be at UMich or Jeff.
  • I am not interested in rural medicine or family practice at the moment, and Mizzou seems to have a big focus on this.
  • Closest option to my home in St. Louis but this is not really an important factor for me. I have lived at least a flight away from home for the last 6 years and it has been fine.
  • Seems like a good option if I would like to stay in the Midwest and practice - I would not like to restrict myself geographically.

One of my biggest concerns is the difference in the cost of attendance between Missouri and the other two schools. I also think my own mental health and well being. Should also mention that if I go to Michigan, my SO will move to Chicago and if I go to Jeff my SO will move to Philly.

For those of you who vote, it would be really helpful to get some sort of explanation. Thanks a lot everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The increased COA is justified for UMich (very high ranking school, incredible research opportunities with top faculty). Not sure it is for Jeff. I vote Michigan. Otherwise go for the cheapest option.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you!! This is what I have been thinking but still was not totally sure. It's just so scary to commit to spending an extra 120,000 or so with the possibility of ending up with the same career either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO Jefferson seems to be a great option for you. It has the location that you're looking for, your SO can live in the same city instead of being a drive/flight away, and most importantly it seems like you really clicked with their student body. Overall it seems like life would be the best there. $120k isn't really that much considering how much you'll make over your career, and pretty much every physician I've talked to has said to not let money be a deciding factor. And Michigan's prestige/dual degree options only matter if you're interested in academic medicine or a dual degree (which, let's remember, will run you another year's tuition). I don't think it's worth it to save some money to go to a school whose interests and student body don't align with your aspirations (Mizzou), and at worst it will handicap your goals to specialize and end up in a bigger city.

Overall fit of the school should be one of the most important factors when deciding a school - you'll be spending four years there. Additionally, you'll do your best work when in an environment that you truly love to be in and which works to your strengths. Michigan still seems like a pretty good option if the curriculum works out (there will always be people unhappy with changes) and you're okay with more years in Ann Arbor. Just don't choose it because it's more prestigious, if you've looked at the other schools' match lists and are happy with them.

tl;dr Go where you'll be happiest

If you are thinking about going down the academic medicine route or matching into some more competitive specialties, Michigan will hand down provide you the best educational and research opportunities+the name brand to pursue that path. But like you said, you have other personal factors that are swaying you towards Jefferson and that is totally a valid reason to want to go there. I guess at the end of the day you just have to figure out what your career aspirations are and which of these schools will help you achieve those gaols and also allow you to be happy while doing that. My personal vote is on Michigan.

Go to Michigan. It's a top 10 school, with an absolutely exceptional reputation. Even if you don't want to do academic medicine, coming from a top tier school helps with connections, research, LORs, etc. Do yourself a favor, go to UM. It's worth the investment in your future.

But if you can't stomach the cost of UM, go to Mizzou. Jefferson is a great school, but I don't think it's worth the extra $30k/year, plus the much higher cost of living in Philly vs. Columbia.