KCOM alternate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at KCOM and everything went well, I thought. Then I found out I'm on the alternate list! Just wondering if anyone else has found a similar fate and what you plan to do about it.

------------------
The Monkey Boy

Members don't see this ad.

I was in your shoes last summer. I didn't make it at that time. I just reapplied and I was accepted for this coming year. You may want to do the same

Yeah, if it doesn't happen, that's what I plan to do. When you applied again, did you do anything different? What was different on your app the second time?

Members don't see this ad :)
My biggest advice is to send $19.95 to supercity to be an official member of the super buddy club. The perks are too numerous to mention, but one worth mentioning is that adcoms love it! They see that you are a bona fide super buddy and it is pretty much a guaranteed admission. The interview is only a formality and a means to discuss the various missions I have sent you on. With that advice, let us now do the FREEDOM DANCE.....

They may take our lives, but they will never take our FFRRREEEEEEEDDDDDOOOOOOMMMMM!!!

Well, I did a couple things. I took a biology class on top of working another year at my lab. I think that extra year of medical experience really helped me. My boss knew me pretty well by then so I think he was able to give me a better recommendation. I also made sure to get my application in and complete a bit earlier. When I got the notice that I was not going to make it from the wait list, they did encourage me to reapply so I felt encouraged to stick with it. Basically, I wanted to show that I was sincerely interested in going to KCOM. Hope that helps

[This message has been edited by ChillyWill (edited 03-13-2000).]

I hear you man. I just got my alternate list letter from LECOM today. Actually I am surprised considering that is was my first interview and that one of them felt that I was not giving him enough attention and eye contact. Waiting to hear from KCOM. If antone knows anything about the LECOM alternate list please inform me.

That would really suck if your possible medical future came down to eye contact. They can only find out so much info. about you in an interview; its far from being flawless but i guess its the best schools can do :\

Hi everyone! I have a question....I interviewed at KCOM about 3 weeks ago and they said that they don't have a wait list!! They told me that you either get in or you don't and that the only alternative is that they will delay your entrance to next year's class. Now I am really confused. I wonder what the deal is. Let me know if you have any idea what is going on...........They said that they would not be able to tell me if I was in for 4-6 weeks. I am waiting patiently.

millen...

that is confusing, i interviewed there in jan. and was told you'll get accepted, rejected or put as an "alternate" which is really just their waitlist... it's not reasonable for any school not to have some kind of alternate/waitlist and kcom is no different.. who told you they don't??? an admissions counselor....i also suspect the class must now be full as before they said we could call two or three days after interview for their decision....not wait 4+wks... but hang in there as you never know who will back out of their acceptance at the last minute...or sooner...

I know for a fact that they do have a wait list as I was on it last year. I finally got my rejection letter last august after classes had started. I can't imagine that the class would be full already since I got that final letter in August. Maybe they keep the list until the very last minute

[This message has been edited by ChillyWill (edited 03-31-2000).]

schools usually will not formally reject until the school year is about to start, as assurance for an ample number waitlisted applicants if people back out at the last minute......

This is very true. They keep the list until they actually have the students in the class. This is to assure a full class. The year I was accepted one of my classmates was called and told he could have a seat in the class if he could make it there for the next day. He showed up with uhaul trailer still attached to his vehicle.

John DOe

I was told that there was not a waiting list by an admissions counselor. It was the one who took me into her office to go over my transcripts to make sure that everything was in order and to ask me a few questions in between my interviews with faculty. I asked her about the wait list and she said "well, we don't really have a wait list". She also told me that there were spaces left in the class, but that they were minimal. That didn't surprise me, but it did make me quite nervous. I really want to go to KCOM. The only thing that I can think was that A. she has no idea what she is talking about because she has only had the job for 3 days or B. there are already too many people on the wait list (is that possible??) Thanks for your feedback everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
The admissions people at KCOM are generally great. I would call back and ask them what the real story is. You don't have to tell them who you are if you don't want. Don't sit and worry just call and ask them.

Good luck

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Hi, I am sorry to bring this up again, I am just so confused!! I called KCOM again this morning and they said that no, they don't have an alternate list. That you either get in or you don't and if you don't get in, you (how nice) can reapply again next year. By the way, they still haven't made a decision on me. (I am getting so nervous). She also told me that they don't have an alternate list because they overfill the class because they know that people will "drop out" before classes begin. Will someone else call there and see what they tell you??

Millenium,
I think you are really getting messed with some how. I just spoke with admissions and what they told me is that they do have an alternate list but they do not give out the rank of students on that list.

As far as what you were told about KCOM admitting too many people I have heard that that is true. They have to do this because too many students will wait and call at the last minute and cancel leaving the school with open slots and other students not going to the school they want if any school at all.

I hope this was helpful.

Goodluck, and if KCOM is what you really want don't give up or get too frustrated because of this miscomunication, KCOM is really worth it.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Thank you so much Carrie. Maybe they just didn't understand what I was asking or
didn't want to answer me because I have not been accepted yet. I don't know.
That was definitely helpful of you. Thank you so much. Can you tell me anything
about KCOM? Why you chose it, how you feel about the town, etc.....I really want
to go there. I loved the school. I think that I will get a great education there.
Plus, the people in the town and at the school were so nice. (Except for this little
fiasco). I pray that I get in.

This whole situation is incredibly frustrating. I interviewed in Februrary. Two weeks later I was told (and received a letter) by an admissions counselor (Virginia) that I was placed on the "alternate list" and that I would receive notification of my ranking on said list sometime in April or May after they fill their class. If anyone is confused about their standing or what's going on, I suggest you call and specifically ask to speak to Virginia or Lori Haxton and ask for the straight story.

What a weird set of circumstances you were put through...

And by the way, if anyone out there that has been accepted to KCOM decides to back out, make sure you put a good word in for me, thanks...

(that was a joke...sort of)

Just to let all of those on the wait list now. With much regret, I have given up my spot at KCOM. I loved the school, but have decided to go to UNECOM because it is closer to home and easier to get to via airports and stuff. Good luck to all of those who are on the wait list.

Hi everyone. I still haven't heard anything from KCOM. I am almost scared to call. I know that might sound hilarious, but my "four weeks" was up on Monday, and I just can't get up the courage to pick up the phone and dial it. So now I am just waiting to either find some courage somewhere in myself or to get a letter in the mail. If I got in, will it be thick? Just wondering. By the way, thanks for the good word Bandit. I am sure that you will be missed, but that you made the best choice that you could. Monkey, I know how you must feel. Hang in there. I am trying to.

Millenium...

Buck up and get the backbone to make the call. They've either made a decision or they haven't...I'm sure they'll let you know which.

Someday you will be dealing with life and death and you will need to have this "backbone" when you're looking in the eyes of loved ones and have to deliver bad news.

Develope the fortitude now, with decisions in your own life, so that down the road you'll have the ability to have strength for others.

I know, because I've been there very recently, that making a phone call that carries so much importance to our future can be very hard. But you'll be glad you did.

Best of luck....

Eric J
UHS04

Flipper,

Settle down
frown.gif

Making a telephone call like that bears absolutely NO relation to making life and death decisions in the future.

Plus a very small percenatge of medical cases are life and death.

[This message has been edited by RAM#48 (edited 04-12-2000).]

I did not say making "life and death decisions."

Many, if not most,"life and death" decisions will have been made by a "higher" power. We're just the bearers, so to speak, of these decisions. If we can not face, or if we fear possible dissapointment in our own lives, how are we as 'healers' to help others in their time of need.

My only point, and a simple one at that, was that we all need to have the stength to deal with the possibly of disappointment as well as the possibility of jubilation so that we can convey our own strentgh to others.

If I need to lighten up, I certainly will, as I had no intention of stirring up a heated discussion tonight.

Sorry if I stepped on any toes....

Eric J
UHS04

Flipper, I did call. They (the admissions counsel) were not able to meet this week. They told me to call next
Thursday and that then there would probably be a decision made. Nothing like giving me a nervous ulcer. I know
that you did not mean to step on any toes, but please don't imply that I have no "back bone". That is so very
untrue. If I did not contain such an important anatomical part, I would not even be attempting to become a doctor.
Thank you for trying to give me words of wisdom anyhow, though. Thanks too, RAM for sticking up for me. I will
let you all know if anything new happens........

Well, once once again I'll apologize for a poor choice of words, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed and sayin' those prayers for you.

I can relate on the ulcer bit....checked the mail and answering machine daily for months just waiting to get an interview...finally got notification of an interview in February!!! It was a long winter!!!

Good Luck

Eric J
UHS04

Milleneum,

I got my KCOM-letter of acceptance on April 14 of last year. No, the envelope was not thick or large. The dead give away is that it will come as registered mail. As a general rule, although not set in stone, rejections and wait-listings come as regular mail.

Some friendly advice...call them. I work with many of those folks on nearly a daily basis...you will not find nicer, friendlier people!

Originally posted by milleniumhc:
Hi everyone. I still haven't heard anything from KCOM. I am almost scared to call. I know that might sound hilarious, but my "four weeks" was up on Monday, and I just can't get up the courage to pick up the phone and dial it. So now I am just waiting to either find some courage somewhere in myself or to get a letter in the mail. If I got in, will it be thick? Just wondering. By the way, thanks for the good word Bandit. I am sure that you will be missed, but that you made the best choice that you could. Monkey, I know how you must feel. Hang in there. I am trying to.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

Old Man Dave, Registered mail, huh? That is very interesting. You must have been ecstatic. The problem is that I don't live at home with my parents, but that is where all of my mail goes. (it is my legal address) My interview letter was opened by my Mom. She called me and said that a letter had come from KCOM and I told her that (as all letters prior to that had been) it was probably just more information. So I told her to open it. I was on the phone with her and there was this big pause and then she screamed so loud in my ear my hearing hasn't been the same since....Anyhow, now I might have some idea whether the news is good news or not and can brace myself. So thank you very much. Please tell me anything that you can about living in Kirksville and the school itself. I would love to hear your input. I visited the school before I ever interviewed there and I thought that the town was great. I grew up in a town with a population of 950, so Kirksville is much bigger than my hometown. Thanks again for your input.
mhc

i hate to throw a wrench in the gears, but my acceptance letter (to KCOM)was not certified... but rather an 8 by 11 inch packet with the contract, etc... in it....

Ok, I had my interview in the begining of march and they say that they have yet to evaluate those who interviewed with me. What is up with KCOM?!

I interviewd at KCOM on the March 23 2000 and am also playing the waiting game.

I talked with Lori Haxton this Morning. She told me that a decision would be made by tomorrow (Wednesday, 26 April) afternoon. She also said that there is an alternate list. It is not ranked until early summer. They call those people on the list before it is ranked to find out if they still hope to attend KCOM. If they do not they are removed from the list. After this is done everyone left is ranked and then more waiting occurs. The second year who I talked to before my interview didn't get his acceptance call until the late July/early August. There is always hope up until the first day of class.

I have called the office there three times since my interview and have been helped by very friendly people all three times. I don't think that they mind prospective students calling to check their status.

Good luck to everyone trying to get in.