Lake Erie - Seton Hill (LECOM-Seton Hill) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Portal finally changed today. Interviewed 9/2016. I just put down a deposit at Bradenton campus earlier this week. Does anyone know how this would affect the decision at SH or are the admissions processes completely separate?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Portal finally changed today. Interviewed 9/2016. I just put down a deposit at Bradenton campus earlier this week. Does anyone know how this would affect the decision at SH or are the admissions processes completely separate?

I remember hearing last year that accepting a spot at one LECOM branch will take you out of consideration for the other branches. Which is a total bummer if that's true, since no one in their right mind would turn down one LECOM in order to stay in the running for another branch.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does seton hill have housing on campus for medical students??

For those who have interviewed - was there an option for a personal interview at the end? It looks like they have done this in the past.

Also, if anyone else is interviewing on 2/17 and would like to get dinner either the night before or after the interview let me know.

For those who have interviewed - was there an option for a personal interview at the end? It looks like they have done this in the past.

Also, if anyone else is interviewing on 2/17 and would like to get dinner either the night before or after the interview let me know.

Nope, just the group interview

If i got an II for the seton hill campus, does this mean i am interviewing for the erie/brandenton campuses as well? or only for the seton hill campus??

Interviewed 2/1/17: I was in the 2nd of 2 groups. There were 4-6 questions asked by 2 faculty professor interviewers to the group of 7 students and they were pretty standard starting off with an introduction question. There was no order for us to answer the questions so I believe going first or second is key during the group interview since it gives you the best opportunity to flesh an answer out and because I noticed that other interviewees didn't repeat things that were already said to answer the existing question. Also not sounding cliché and rehearsed is extremely important because you will not likely stand out and frankly, no one really cares how you did poorly on the MCAT. Rather treat this opportunity to tell stories about your experiences you had instead of making general remarks about the things you've done. Honestly, there is very little need to prep for this interview and it was very laid back.

If accepted, I will likely attend LECOM over ACOM simply due to the less constraining curriculum and strong board scores/first pass. However, ACOM has significantly better student camaraderie and possibly staff hospitality. At LECOM, I was surprised that we didn't have lunch before doing the student-led campus tours. Therefore no one stayed around together at the very end for lunch. Also the tours were very brief and the presentations had very little to offer in terms of insight into the school. ACOM put together a much cleaner and detailed presentation of their school and did a much better job trying to impress me.

Reactions: 4 users
II at Seton Hill!
Super grateful -- anyone else interviewing in March?

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed 2/1/17: I was in the 2nd of 2 groups. There were 4-6 questions asked by 2 faculty professor interviewers to the group of 7 students and they were pretty standard starting off with an introduction question. There was no order for us to answer the questions so I believe going first or second is key during the group interview since it gives you the best opportunity to flesh an answer out and because I noticed that other interviewees didn't repeat things that were already said to answer the existing question. Also not sounding cliché and rehearsed is extremely important because you will not likely stand out and frankly, no one really cares how you did poorly on the MCAT. Rather treat this opportunity to tell stories about your experiences you had instead of making general remarks about the things you've done. Honestly, there is very little need to prep for this interview and it was very laid back.

I agree with this for the most part, but make sure you don't look pushy trying to always be first! I think the group interview is as much to show that you can "play nice" with others as it is about your answers; PBL is a team sport. And sometimes chiming in later actually gives you a chance to collect your thoughts a bit.

Edited: grammar

Last edited:
Did anyone that interviewed at SH on 1/12/17 hear anything yet??

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing on Monday! Is the interview just group based or are there any individual interviews?

Thanks

While I agree that speaking sooner rather than later allows you to give a more personal answer, I would argue that you should not push to be the first to answer. As long as you contribute in a meaningful way, you should be fine. In my interview, a few people seemed really pushy. If I was an admissions officer, I would immediately push them to the bottom of my list. I came in with the impression that they want to see how well you work in a group, rather than how well you present yourself.

To answer another common question, there was no individual interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviewing on Monday! Is the interview just group based or are there any individual interviews?

Thanks
No individual interviews, only group. It was super laid back too. Don't stress! :)

I was accepted today! Apparently the letter came on Saturday and I haven't checked. Thrilled after 2 months of waiting. My interview day was 12/6. I thought the interview did not go well-we had 9 people in my interview group and pretty much everyone answered the same 4 questions. It was hard to stand out so I think this was a definite rejection or wait list so I was definitely surprised. So excited I can't even sleep.

Reactions: 3 users
I was accepted today! Apparently the letter came on Saturday and I haven't checked. Thrilled after 2 months of waiting. My interview day was 12/6. I thought the interview did not go well-we had 9 people in my interview group and pretty much everyone answered the same 4 questions. It was hard to stand out so I think this was a definite rejection or wait list so I was definitely surprised. So excited I can't even sleep.
Congradulations!!!!
Did you get a portal change? If you did, whenwas it?

Congradulations!!!!
Did you get a portal change? If you did, whenwas it?
Portal changed around January 25...I was sure it was a rejection or waitlist b/c there were a few people who interviewed same day that go accepted in early January but I guess the process isn't really this transparent or predictable.

Portal changed around January 25...I was sure it was a rejection or waitlist b/c there were a few people who interviewed same day that go accepted in early January but I guess the process isn't really this transparent or predictable.
Yeah... the process requires a lot of patience. I think I was in the same group as you were. havent had a portal change yet....

Yeah... the process requires a lot of patience. I think I was in the same group as you were. havent had a portal change yet....
Which one are you:)? I'm the dog lover.

Accepted today. Not attending. Best of luck to everyone on waitlist !

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone have any input they can offer about LECOM SH not having an anatomy lab with cadavers or patient simulaiton labs? kind of worried about that

Patient simulation labs are a gimmick. You get a perfectly fine medical education with human standardized patients in your pre-clinical years and actual patients in your clinical years.

Not having an anatomy lab is a big drawback, I'll admit. I'm not a fan of the PBL anatomy course. Having said that, it's only ten weeks. Don't make a decision about four years based on that ten weeks. Also, my friends and I-- including future surgeon friends-- have done just fine on surgery rotations without having had the cadaver experience.

Does anyone know if Seton Hill has an indoor pool? During the tour we saw the school fitness center but I forgot to ask if there was a pool at the school

Does anyone know if Seton Hill has an indoor pool? During the tour we saw the school fitness center but I forgot to ask if there was a pool at the school

I'm not sure about the Seton Hill campus but it looks like the YMCA and LA Fitness in Greensburg have pools. Most students primarily use one of the gyms off campus but can supplement the Seton Hill gym for convenience

3.2, 500 --not the best, but I tried to make up for it with a lot of clinical experience! And thank you :)

II at Seton Hill!
Super grateful -- anyone else interviewing in March?

Does seton hall have dsp? Can a student that wants to do DSP get in it easily if accepted in march/april? Thanks

Does seton hall have dsp? Can a student that wants to do DSP get in it easily if accepted in march/april? Thanks
Only PBL at Seton Hill

Saw you were accepted! How long after your interview did it take for you to get a portal change? Thanks!
My situation was different because I was in the first interview group. I chose Early Decision- which told us exactly when they'd send letters out. Once the portal changes you'll get a letter within a week. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long!

My situation was different because I was in the first interview group. I chose Early Decision- which told us exactly when they'd send letters out. Once the portal changes you'll get a letter within a week. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long!
Thanks for your response! I interviewed on 1/12 so hopefully I'm not waiting much longer haha

Received II for early march. does anyone know how many spots are left? am I interviewing for a spot on the waitlist at this point? what's the chance of acceptance interviewing this late in the cycle??

Received II for early march. does anyone know how many spots are left? am I interviewing for a spot on the waitlist at this point? what's the chance of acceptance interviewing this late in the cycle??
I'm on the same boat as you

interviewed 1/13 and no portal change yet. Anyone else from this day get a portal change?

Interviewed 2/1/17 ( see earlier post). Accepted 2/18/17 via regular size snail mail letter, envelop dated 2/8/17.

Because of my average stats and how poorly the group interview went as a whole, I expected a waitlist at best. I'm 2/2 for interviews/acceptance and will be going for 3/3 at ATSU-SOMA in a few days.

However, at this moment I will be attending LECOM over ACOM. Good luck to upcoming interviewees and let me know if you have any questions.

Interviewed 2/1/17 ( see earlier post). Accepted 2/18/17 via regular size snail mail letter, envelop dated 2/8/17.

Because of my average stats and how poorly the group interview went as a whole, I expected a waitlist at best. I'm 2/2 for interviews/acceptance and will be going for 3/3 at ATSU-SOMA in a few days.

However, at this moment I will be attending LECOM over ACOM. Good luck to upcoming interviewees and let me know if you have any questions.
Hi what were your stats if you don't mind me asking