Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed late Nov. Waitlisted today. Hopefully there's movement :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

This may have been addressed, but does anyone know if LUCOM students get access to all of the amenities at the undergrad campus? Football games, the gym, all that good stuff?

This may have been addressed, but does anyone know if LUCOM students get access to all of the amenities at the undergrad campus? Football games, the gym, all that good stuff?

YES

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I have a question. How long would it take approximately to get all the immunizations and titers done? Im hoping to start soon but I am worried if there is enough time to finish them all by the deadline!

Interviewed 12/7, accepted 12/17. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting! :thumbup:

Anyone accepted on 12/17 not receive an acceptance email or letter yet?

For any Muslims who have been accepted, I would definitely look into how the environment is here! There have been some very questionable statements that have been made recently by the administration. I was considering applying but would not want to subject myself to that type of enviroment. Anyway, good luck to everyone and I hope you all get into your #1 choices!

For any Muslims who have been accepted, I would definitely look into how the environment is here! There have been some very questionable statements that have been made recently by the administration. I was considering applying but would not want to subject myself to that type of enviroment. Anyway, good luck to everyone and I hope you all get into your #1 choices!

I completely understand your concerns. However, I personally feel that all of the administration that I have met at LUCOM are at the very least tolerant of all cultures and religions. I think that at an institution that strives to increase and promote the well-being of society as a whole would not pick and choose who they help, especially when Christianity and its tenets are what fuels their passion. I am not a Christian but I can tell you that I was treated with respect the entire time I was in Lynchburg. I do not have any reservations against joining this program. Please don't be hesitant when applying! Any misplaced fear of not being accepted as part of the school's culture should be dropped.

I am not Christian and I applied despite the comments against Muslims. I would like to believe that those are views of the president of the undergraduate college and not the medical school. I do still worry though even though I felt comfortable at the interview. From the accepted students facebook page, I see at least three muslims in the list. Unless they accept other people of other faiths only to convert them, I'd like to believe they are tolerant and accepting of other faiths. I would still apply or at least visit the campus.

I am not Christian and I applied despite the comments against Muslims. I would like to believe that those are views of the president of the undergraduate college and not the medical school. I do still worry though even though I felt comfortable at the interview. From the accepted students facebook page, I see at least three muslims in the list. Unless they accept other people of other faiths only to convert them, I'd like to believe they are tolerant and accepting of other faiths. I would still apply or at least visit the campus.

I will say that there are more than a few of us students at the Med school who pretty much face palmed when we saw what Falwell Jr. said, however for the most part all of us were too busy dragging ourselves to the end of 1st semester and the beginning of Christmas break to give it too much thought.

Christian students make up the majority of our class, but there are other faiths like Islam and Judaism represented too, and I haven't witnessed any drive to convert students of other faiths. We are really too busy (like most other medical students) too focus on much else other than school and some limited social time.

Current students do get to interact with interviewees, and I have heard of a few cases where applicants who listed no religious preference and even self identified atheists have been interviewed, and I believe a few were given acceptances based on the merit of their application and interview. It wouldn't surprise me if they chose to go to another school (assuming they got other acceptances), but for what it's worth, my experience has been that the medical school is much less dogmatic and more open minded than the undergrad.

The last thing I will say is that our dean, Dr. Martin, sent out an e mail shortly after San Bernardino (also after Falwell's controversial comments during convocation) stating unequivocally that students attending the medical school would continue to be treated with respect, regardless of faith, and went on to encourage all of us to reach out to our fellow class mates, especially those of other faiths, and lift each other up, provide encouragement, and bring out the best in each other.

Dr. Martin's statement was much more appropriate in my opinion than what Dr. Falwell said. This is just my opinion though. I will also add that it isn't hard to figure out who I am by looking at my username here, and I have no fear of making this post, even though it expresses disagreement with what Dr. Falwell said. Dr. Martin has always been supportive of students right to speak freely, as long as it is done in a professional manner and in a tone that is becoming of a future physician.

Sorry for the long comment, but I wanted to take a moment to give my thoughts as a current student.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their drug screen done yet? I'm wondering if its just a urinalysis, or will they have to take my blood as well? I'm okay with blood, but I have a kind of a phobia with seeing my own blood :( If anyone knows please tell me so I can prepare myself mentally...

Has anyone gotten their drug screen done yet? I'm wondering if its just a urinalysis, or will they have to take my blood as well? I'm okay with blood, but I have a kind of a phobia with seeing my own blood :( If anyone knows please tell me so I can prepare myself mentally...
It was just urinalysis for me.

Sorry for the long comment, but I wanted to take a moment to give my thoughts as a current student.

Thanks for the reply! Any other thoughts or words of advice to us potential students??!?!?!?!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the reply! Any other thoughts or words of advice to us potential students??!?!?!?!
The class of 2019 is very diverse. Of those I personally know (aprox. 75 of the class) there are a significant number of Baptists, Evangelicals, Catholics, a half-a-dozen or so Mormons, and a few Muslims. I loved LUCOM's Christmas Devotional a few weeks ago where those interested could attend a recitation of Luke 2 and sing Christmas Hymns.

From what I have experienced everyone has been very respectful to each others religion. As a religious person myself I enjoy attending school where religion and spirituality are not taboo.

It would seem a bit bothersome to intertwine religious values with medical education. Are there any current students who can comment on this?

It would seem a bit bothersome to intertwine religious values with medical education. Are there any current students who can comment on this?
Multiple students have commented here about it being "not bothersome". They are just like any other medical school and students don't have much time to think about their religious affiliation when they are bothered about the upcoming exams. Aren't you headed to Burrell anyways? I wish you well!

Multiple students have commented here about it being "not bothersome". They are just like any other medical school and students don't have much time to think about their religious affiliation when they are bothered about the upcoming exams. Aren't you headed to Burrell anyways? I wish you well!
My acceptance is from Burrell, but that by no means means I am done looking around - I love Burrell, but I want what's best, therefore I plan to look around to make sure I get the best possible school for me, thank you for your prompt reply.

Maybe you should scroll through all the previous posts that discuss this over and over again.

I'm a current student and I will say that it does not get in the way. Also, I'm a liberal from California, so there.

I want to add to anyone else reading that LUCOM has both excellent leadership and also some amazing financial resources from liberty that they are going to continue to grow into a strong institution. I was hesitant before I came here since I only knew about liberty from watching CNN and reading Reddit, but I consider myself lucky they gave me a chance in their med school.

Maybe you should scroll through all the previous posts that discuss this over and over again.

I'm a current student and I will say that it does not get in the way. Also, I'm a liberal from California, so there.

I want to add to anyone else reading that LUCOM has both excellent leadership and also some amazing financial resources from liberty that they are going to continue to grow into a strong institution. I was hesitant before I came here since I only knew about liberty from watching CNN and reading Reddit, but I consider myself lucky they gave me a chance in their med school.

I have read this whole thread, but for the sake of thise who were newly accepted or contemplating this school I wanted to ask again. It just seems like they place a heavy emphasis on religious values, sometimes at the expense of medical knowledge.

I have read this whole thread, but for the sake of thise who were newly accepted or contemplating this school I wanted to ask again. It just seems like they place a heavy emphasis on religious values, sometimes at the expense of medical knowledge.

Well, I'm going to reassure you that is not the case. The only problems with the curriculum stemmed from LUCOM being a brand new school, and not for religious reasons. From what I've gathered, the curriculum presented to my class (2019) has been a lot clearer than last year's and you can expect it to only improve over time.

Well, I'm going to reassure you that is not the case. The only problems with the curriculum stemmed from LUCOM being a brand new school, and not for religious reasons. From what I've gathered, the curriculum presented to my class (2019) has been a lot clearer than last year's and you can expect it to only improve over time.
Has the residency situation changed for the better?

What I liked about the school was that they emphasized the importance of student comments and suggestions and used them for making improvements to the school and curriculum. My interviewer told me that they were going to possibly change the curriculum so that concepts learned biochemistry were also discussed in clinical settings so they weren't things you memorized and learned for no reason and there was a connection to what you learned in one course to the rest of your medical education. He told me that was a common student suggestion. I wasn't particularly bothered by any of the religious values emphasized by the school. I don't see the harm in praying before lunch or praying together. I am not religious or Christian but I think it is refreshing that the school is focusing on at least the positive values of the religion especially when you hear so many stories of doctors involved in malpractice and dishonest schemes. Even if the school has different views on creation or abortion, I think I can ignore/deal with that for the longer goal of being a doctor. (At least I hope I can.)

Also, on a scale of 0-10 of "liberalness", I would consider myself a 9.

Has the residency situation changed for the better?

What residency situation? The medical school is not responsible for setting up residencies, so I am not sure what you are asking.

If you are referring to clinical rotations, I am still not sure what you are talking about. There was never a "situation" other than the school trying to expand the number and location of sites available for students to rotate at.

It would qualify as a "situation" if there were not enough rotation spots for the number of students currently enrolled. That is not the case. There are currently spots for every student who is enrolled, and enough spots to cover for 3rd and 4th year rotations. Some students may rotate at sites remote from LUCOM, but in general it will be because the students chose to rotate at sites away from LUCOM, not because they were forced. The ultimate goal is to place students at sites where they want to be whenever possible, and to fairly place students at sites when there is no preference given by that student.

As far as religion entering into the classroom, other than most professors praying before the beginning of class and before exams, it really is non existent, especially in second year. I hate having things forced on me, and I don't feel like that is happening here.

Not trying to be terse or anything, just wanted to answer your questions directly. I am currently a second year.

Got an II here recently and have one question about the interview/day. One user on this thread said they were asked to pray with a faculty member before eating the lunch provided. Can anyone speak to this or have the same experience? That same user said they themselves brought up their religion a fair amount in the interview, which may have caused this request to pray with others.

I consider myself somewhat religious, but I would prefer not to have any unnecessary venues for them to evaluate me on that are outside of my application or personality. Should I expect this during my interview day, or is that kind of a one in a million experience that that student had?

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Got an II here recently and have one question about the interview/day. One user on this thread said they were asked to pray with a faculty member before eating the lunch provided. Can anyone speak to this or have the same experience? That same user said they themselves brought up their religion a fair amount in the interview, which may have caused this request to pray with others.

I consider myself somewhat religious, but I would prefer not to have any unnecessary venues for them to evaluate me on that are outside of my application or personality. Should I expect this during my interview day, or is that kind of a one in a million experience that that student had?

My interviewer wanted to pray at the end of our 30 minutes together, and I thought it was great. They won't ask about your religion unless you bring it up yourself.

I never had to pray with my interviewer. Also, they will ask ethical questions but I was never straight up asked what my religious views are.

What residency situation? The medical school is not responsible for setting up residencies, so I am not sure what you are asking.

If you are referring to clinical rotations, I am still not sure what you are talking about. There was never a "situation" other than the school trying to expand the number and location of sites available for students to rotate at.

It would qualify as a "situation" if there were not enough rotation spots for the number of students currently enrolled. That is not the case. There are currently spots for every student who is enrolled, and enough spots to cover for 3rd and 4th year rotations. Some students may rotate at sites remote from LUCOM, but in general it will be because the students chose to rotate at sites away from LUCOM, not because they were forced. The ultimate goal is to place students at sites where they want to be whenever possible, and to fairly place students at sites when there is no preference given by that student.

As far as religion entering into the classroom, other than most professors praying before the beginning of class and before exams, it really is non existent, especially in second year. I hate having things forced on me, and I don't feel like that is happening here.

Not trying to be terse or anything, just wanted to answer your questions directly. I am currently a second year.
My real worry for LUCOM is the opportunities during the clerkship years as well as the variety of electives. Could you elaborate on the clerkship process at LUCOM? Also I heard a rumor that clerkship sites first go to people who are married with kids, etc.

I never had to pray with my interviewer. Also, they will ask ethical questions but I was never straight up asked what my religious views are.
Could you please expand on how the interview went and what they asked? I could only find ~7 entries on SDN interview feedback for LUCOM. PM me if you'd like.

My real worry for LUCOM is the opportunities during the clerkship years as well as the variety of electives. Could you elaborate on the clerkship process at LUCOM? Also I heard a rumor that clerkship sites first go to people who are married with kids, etc.

I will start by saying this is just my understanding of the process. I do not speak for the school in any official capacity, and can only relate what I know or infer as a student, based on what I have been told or have heard from what I consider to be reliable sources.

3rd and 4th year clerkships are essentially the same as all other DO schools, with the same number of electives, selectives, and core rotations (this is driven by COCA, not individual institutions.)

The major rotation site is the Centra health system in Lynchburg, primarily Lynchburg General Hospital. My understanding is that half of our class (80) will be able to stay in Lynchburg if they so choose. The other rotation sites are spread around geographically, with multiple sites in southwest VA, a site in IL, and possibly one other site in east TX (this site has not been announced as an option yet, so I am not sure if it will come to fruition or not.) There are also ongoing negotiations with other health systems to expand the geographical area that students have the option of doing rotations in.

Sometime in February or March for c/o 2018 we will basically have a lottery to determine where we will do rotations for 3rd and 4th year. We get to make a wish list, with our choices listed in order, and there is preference given to certain students for a number of different reasons, all of which were made clear to me on my interview day, and others say this was made clear to them when they interviewed.

The reasons that a student may get preference for a site can generally be summed up as the more roots you have in the area, the more preference that student will be given to stay in Lynchburg, if that student wants to. These factors can include:

- A student who has children THAT ARE ENROLLED IN SCHOOL in the area
- A student with a spouse who has a full time job in the Lynchburg area
- A student with family in the area

Those 3 were the big reasons listed. In the c/o 2018, my general estimate is that maybe 30-40 students will qualify for some sort of preference. Since there are more total positions in Lynchburg than there are student who qualify for preference, you basically have to hit 1 out of 3 of those categories, and you can stay in Lynchburg, IF YOU WANT TO. Not all of the 30-40 students who qualify for preference will want to stay in Lynchburg. Some student may want to go to a site closer to home, and in that case, they will enter into the lottery and list whatever site they want to as their top pick.

This is just me speculating, but I actually think there will be more competition at some of the remote sites than there will be in Lynchburg, and anyone who wants to stay in Lynchburg will probably be able to. My best guess estimate is that 30% of the spots in Lynchburg will be taken by student who have been given preference, 50% will be taken by students who have no preference, but chose Lynchburg as their #1 spot (some overlap with the first category), and the other 20% will go to students who either have no preference (the majority of this category) and/or students who were not picked up for their number one choice of site.

Remote rotation sites are nothing new or dramatic, and I don't feel like it is a direct reflection of the quality of the school if they do not have a clinical site capable of taking 100% of the students enrolled. Texas Tech is a good example of a school that has remote sites all over west Texas, and is a pretty respectable school. Ideally, would every school like to have a clinical rotation site that could accommodate 100% of enrolled students? Absolutely, but then options for students who want to rotate closer to home would be limited. So there is a give and take both ways, and the pros/cons list will be different for every student.

3rd year rotations are all primary care core rotations, with either 2 or 4 weeks of electives at the end, I can't remember. Many students will use that time for vacation, some might use it for officer basic training, some may go on an international medical mission or stay and volunteer locally, and a few may actually schedule an elective, although if you have done any of your own research, you will see that a lot of places will not take 3rd year students on electives.

4th year is almost all electives or selectives, with the exception of emergency medicine. There are five 4 week blocks of elective (one can be used as vacation), two 4 week blocks of IM selective, and one 4 week block of surgery selective.

Most of the elective will be scheduled by the student at sites where they are interested in residency, and essentially used as audition rotations. If the student does not want to schedule electives at another program in order to audition for that program, then the electives can be scheduled at any of the core sites I am sure, but I don't know why a student would choose to do this. 4th year is the year that a student gets to go out and show other programs what they are made of, in hopes they can land a residency there.

Bottom line is this, there are enough rotations sites and spots to accommodate all students, LUCOM is trying to accommodate all students in order to disrupt their lives as little as possible and place them where they want to go, if they are unable to accommodate them, they are given enough notice so that they can make proper arrangements to relocate to their 3rd year site, what LUCOM is doing is any different than what many other schools do, 4th year electives and selectives seem to be more than adequate, and COCA has approved and signed off on everything that is going on, so at the least it meets their standards.

I know it can be stressful to not know where you will be doing 3rd year rotations, but at the end of the day, I really think everyone is going to end up where they want to be. I could end up being wrong though. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 6 users
Could you please expand on how the interview went and what they asked? I could only find ~7 entries on SDN interview feedback for LUCOM. PM me if you'd like.
I was not asked ethical questions or about my religion. I brought up my personal beleifs because I wanted to. The interviewer prayed with me so that I could have safe travels back and that I would have options to decide on for my future. We all as a group prayed before lunch. Nothing too overwhelming.

Gonna be declining my acceptance. Hopefully it goes to someone here.

Hey guys. I received a secondary but took more than 2 weeks to fill it out. It says that if I take more than two weeks, my application becomes inactive. Does that mean that I am no longer being considered or do I have to do something now to make it active again.

Hey, I wanted to see what ended up happening with your app status? I'm also in the same boat and not sure if I can do something to make my app "active" again.

For the drug screen do you fill out the form online and then they tell you where to go to get it done? Or do you get it done at your own doctors office?

For the drug screen do you fill out the form online and then they tell you where to go to get it done? Or do you get it done at your own doctors office?
You apply at a website and they will give you a list of places you can go to to give your sample. Make sure you check the "checklist" at myLU. It will give you a detailed instruction.

Just to comment on interview details: I was directly asked my religious beliefs and further direct questions about my religious practices in addition to an ethical scenario. That said, I was accepted so I guess they liked my answers haha

I declined my acceptances today. For the interview, be honest no matter what type of situation they may bring at you. Make sure you can explain why DO? why Liberty? the difference between DO and MD? "OMM", and no matter what your religion may be, you are there to make sure that your patients have all the information available to make their own decisions not to dispute them. Good luck everyone.

I declined my acceptances today. For the interview, be honest no matter what type of situation they may bring at you. Make sure you can explain why DO? why Liberty? the difference between DO and MD? "OMM", and no matter what your religion may be, you are there to make sure that your patients have all the information available to make their own decisions not to dispute them. Good luck everyone.

That is excellent advice, no matter where you interview.

The bottom line is, every school is looking for a student who will fit in with the culture of that institution, and be successful academically. They are also looking for students who will expand and challenge (in a positive way) the culture at the institution, and I feel like Liberty is doing this too. There is definitely evidence of this in the makeup of our class.

Medical school, I think in general, brings together a large number of people who are higher achieving by nature, with strong opinions and defined personalities. Sometimes this works out for the better, and sometimes not so much. I have met people in medical school that I will be friends with for the rest of my life most likely. I have also met people that I would never let treat my dog, let alone one of my human family members. Religion did not factor into my relationship with any of these people. I can't say that for everyone here, but I think it is true for the majority of other students.

Be honest in your interviews and try to find the school that you will fit in best at, and you will be well on your way to making the best out of what is an extremely tough 4 years of education.

Yes! We get to go to games for free, and you should look at LeHaye Fitness Center - we get free gym membership and it's the most beautiful gym I've ever been to!

I am also a class of 2019 LUCOM student, so if anyone has any questions, please feel free to message me. I may take a little bit to get back, but I will! And for accepted class of 2020 congrats! can't wait to meet y'all next year!

Question for those accepted:

When you went to get your shots/titers form filled out did you notice that it says the TB tests need to be done within 6 months of matriculation? They want these forms turned in by March 1, but if I get the test before that, it will be over 6 months before August. Confusing. I'm going to call Monday for clarification but I its was wondering if anyone else came across this issue.

Last edited:
Interviewing here in one week. What hotel is recommended and which one should I avoid? I didn't get any travel info in my itinerary email, so I was wondering which ones worked out best for other people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Hi! I currently go to LUCOM, and if you get a room at Hampton Inn or Comfort Inn on Wards Rd. in Lynchburg, it is about a mile from the school - just up the road. It will make it less stressful to get there in the morning! Good luck on your interview!!

congrats on your acceptance! my greatest piece of advice is to enjoy your time off and relax before you start the next great chapter of your life!!!! also, sign up for the mentor program! LUCOM will put you in touch with a current first-year student to answer all your questions, something I found very comforting when I was starting school.

Last edited:
Hey @positiveDOvibes or anyone else- I have a question about the health screen- Does the physician have to mail the immunization documents from the doctors office or once we get everything signed can the student mail it to school?

Any waitlisters know if there has been movement yet? I know most probably wont happen till after April, but I'm still hopeful =)