2021-2022 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does this school have dedicated time for step studying?
The schedule is undergoing some changes currently. In past years they have given 6 weeks of dedicated, but starting with the current OMS-2 class they are moving up our clinical start date to July instead of august, so we can get in an extra away rotation in 4th year. This is causing the current 2nd year class a bit of a squeeze in dedicated time, but we still get at least 4 weeks and can request to start clinical rotations in august if we need extra time. Future classes will have a different dedicated time frame, and I’m not sure what that will look like yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Did this school mention having a waitlist or only rejection/acceptance/provisional acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone from 2/18 get a call today ? Dont know if anyone did yet or if im just getting an R 🤣

No, LUCOM is a private school so they don’t have to adhere to any in-state quotas in their classes. Virginia does have a large representation in each class (probably 40-ish percent), followed by California, and many other states. I’m from nowhere near Virginia, and I know lots of students from Pennsylvania and the surrounding states, and have even met some from Hawaii and Alaska in classes above me. Good luck with your app cycle!
Please read this before intending to go to LUCOM. this is a letter addressed to aacomas from students who actually go .

Dear AACOMAS,

This is a letter addressing the institution Liberty University College of Osteopathic medicine (LUCOM). I am going to write this in an efficient way for you to read. Please bear with me as there is a lot to unfold. I request that you look deeply into this letter. It is truly a last resort to reach out to you as the college will not listen to anyone. I apologize if the letter is sloppy. The things that happen at this school are nearly impossible to prove. Please give the letter the time it deserves. The time we students and faculty deserve and have deserved for a long time.

Table of Contents

• Student affairs and Policy
  • Administration affairs
  • Discrimination
  • Faculty
Student affairs and Policy

There are a lot of policies in which the students and faculty are placed in a position to be dehumanized. If you investigate the school, a decent amount of faculty is resigning, leaving the school scrambling to find someone credible to teach the courses. There are people not qualified to teach certain subjects and they are anyway because there is no one left. Faculty are leaving because of the working conditions within the school. There are no policies in place to realistically support and protect faculty and students from a tyrannical administration. Policy for attendance is hardly written, but we’ve had students completely dismissed from LUCOM due to them. LUCOM changes their procedures almost monthly because there is no policy in place. Real world human considerations are never taken into account. Being pulled over by a police officer or having your car break down among many other reasonable events are not accepted as excusable to missing a class or being late. Subsequently they take two percent off your course grade which has resulted in people needing to remediate courses, the whole year, or worst case scenario be dismissed. There is a doctor shortage…They have changed from giving ten minutes to arrive to five to one to about 45 seconds although they will tell you it is one minute. They set expectations for us and then change them on the fly and expect perfect compliance with no room to adjust. There are a lot of things this school does to put down the students and faculty that is nearly impossible to prove. A student with a broken leg didn’t walk fast enough to their seat and had 2% taken off their grade for it. At another time, the school released a schedule of exams and changed the date of the final exam without telling students. This caused flight conflicts to go back home to family. Instead of LUCOM admitting to the mistake they gaslighted the students by saying there was never a change. In a fireside chat, Dr. Raleigh inappropriately compared missing one class to missing a surgery. Something that may involve life or death. LUCOM is also a health hazard. In person attendance at the school is required without enforcing the wearing of face masks as well as no option to social distance. We have had many cases of covid and covid exposures at our school. One student had a child that got covid and Liberty told this student to expose a babysitter to covid and expose the school by forcing her to come. She didn’t come and was forced to leave with the option to repeat. Many other schools are exercising discretionary days and the ability to manage life, so this very thing doesn’t happen. This school has more than not done nothing but hurt the mental state of their students. Dehumanizing them and creating a compete lack of empathy. After attending LUCOM I can finally understand why the suicidal rate among medical students is so high. It’s not the coursework it’s the dehumanization by institutions such as LUCOM. Many students started health care medication without ever needing it before. This next thing is extremely important. LUCOM is NOT following AACOMAS policies. LUCOM has not made their policy clear, and wrongfully accused many students of cheating. When a student spoke out about it, he was almost dismissed. The ONLY reason he was not dismissed was to avoid your attention. LUCOM essentially used their policy in an already stressful environment to trick their students. All the people accused of this cheating did not get equal treatment. Some got more harsh punishment than others for no other reason than discrimination and popularity. You risk dismissal if you have a grievance with the school proven by the person who stood up to the school. The moral of the class has plummeted, and students are wanting to quit due to the mental anguish of the school. Many students have said they would have never attended if they knew they were going to be treated this way regardless of the dream of healing people as a physician. Becoming a physician is not worth becoming a robot, dehumanized to the nth degree. There are so many more examples that could be given, but there are too many to write.

Administration Affairs

There is one thing I want to talk about with administration, which has caused there to be all the other issues stated in this letter. There are no checks and balances within the school. Faculty to hold positions that look like checks and balanced are in place, are dismissed to “mind their business” and forced to shut their mouth. There is no way to support students and faculty to prevent the tyranny the administration has been placing on the faculty and students. The last dean who attempted to stand up for students and faculty was swiftly fired and replaced in less than half an hour with no explanation to faculty. You can be fired for not treating faculty and students subhuman. Their practice has caused more faculty than can be counted by one person to resign putting the College in a bad place. They are only given one year contracts and are also treated subhuman. Faculty can resign without giving up their dream. Students really can’t.

Discrimination

There is very obvious discrimination that occurs at the school. Faculty will not be hired UNLESS THEY ARE CREATIONIST CHRISTIAN. No exceptions. Many speakers have tried to be brought in to speak at the College about healthcare but were denied for being homosexual or a different religion (muslim) due to the fear of CONVERSION OF STUDENTS. This is extremely outrageous and unacceptable of an institution that is meant to create empathetic physicians all people.

Furthermore, students who speak up against the injustices done to them will be labeled as unprofessional on their record given to all residencies that they apply to without their knowledge. Faculty have revealed this to a few select students in confidence trying to save them from never being matched.

Faculty

There are some faculty that reside here that actively teach misogynistic and incorrect medicine. For example. Dr Swanson, head of the anatomy department stated, “period sex is medically unsafe “on more than one occasion inappropriately described climax, made molestation jokes over cadaver bodies, and has actively taught WRONG information which can be proven in the lecture PowerPoints. In fact, there is more than one faculty member that has taught objectively wrong information to people who will one day oversee people’s lives. All of the faculty that provide what little positive impact this school can have on a student have resigned and are in the process of leaving or already have left.

We a professor leaving because LUCOM disrespected them so much to hire someone unqualified to do their job and tell them it can be learned in less than a year when they have PhD in their field and took all first year medical courses.

EVERYONE QUALIFIED TO RUN THIS MEDICAL SCHOOL IS LEAVING. ALL THE STUDENTS ARE BEING TREATED LIKE GARBAGE AND NONE OF US HAVE THE POWER TO DO A SINGLE THING ABOUT IT PLEASE HELP US.

All I can say to end this letter is that LUCOM is a school that needs to be changed or not be a medical school at all. I would recommend every single premedical student to avoid going to LUCOM at all costs. Even if LUCOM is the only school to accept a student, it is not worth going. I understand that a lot of people may feel differently, however, these are objective events that have occurred and are blatantly wrong. Please help the faculty and students of LUCOM in whatever way you can. This is a last cry for help. I am planning on applying to a different program in a few years. One that won’t abuse me.

Thank you.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Anyone from 2/18 get a call today ? Dont know if anyone did yet or if im just getting an R 🤣
I would call admissions on Monday to check if the decisions for everyone from that interview date has been made. My friend interviewed last week and didn't get a callback either. But I have heard of people getting provisionally accepted weeks later so there's still some hope..

Have any other accepted students received emails about course registration or the academic calendar? I'm working on the admissions requirements checklist, but I haven't received any word on when to register for courses, when the white coat ceremony is, etc, so I'm making assumptions based on previous academic calendars.

Hi all, current LUCOM student here! A very long disgruntled post was made in this forum earlier that describes LUCOM in a very bad light. As someone that attends LUCOM, I can assure you that all of the claims in the post are either very over exaggerated or just flat out untrue. The individual that made the post had failed out of LUCOM recently and as a result is trying to bash the schools reputation. If you go directly to the posts thread, there are several LUCOM students who gave detailed responses refuting the entire post. If you all have any questions about it please feel free to message me! :)

Have any other accepted students received emails about course registration or the academic calendar? I'm working on the admissions requirements checklist, but I haven't received any word on when to register for courses, when the white coat ceremony is, etc, so I'm making assumptions based on previous academic calendars.
You won’t register for classes, the school registers everyone at the same time. The general academic calendar, info about orientation, the white coat ceremony, etc will be posted on the main page towards the end of may or into the summer once those dates are determined. Don’t expect to have access to a detailed academic calendar until the start of orientation. It won’t be published before then.

Reactions: 1 user
Please read this before intending to go to LUCOM. this is a letter addressed to aacomas from students who actually go .

Dear AACOMAS,

This is a letter addressing the institution Liberty University College of Osteopathic medicine (LUCOM). I am going to write this in an efficient way for you to read. Please bear with me as there is a lot to unfold. I request that you look deeply into this letter. It is truly a last resort to reach out to you as the college will not listen to anyone. I apologize if the letter is sloppy. The things that happen at this school are nearly impossible to prove. Please give the letter the time it deserves. The time we students and faculty deserve and have deserved for a long time.

Table of Contents

• Student affairs and Policy
  • Administration affairs
  • Discrimination
  • Faculty
Student affairs and Policy

There are a lot of policies in which the students and faculty are placed in a position to be dehumanized. If you investigate the school, a decent amount of faculty is resigning, leaving the school scrambling to find someone credible to teach the courses. There are people not qualified to teach certain subjects and they are anyway because there is no one left. Faculty are leaving because of the working conditions within the school. There are no policies in place to realistically support and protect faculty and students from a tyrannical administration. Policy for attendance is hardly written, but we’ve had students completely dismissed from LUCOM due to them. LUCOM changes their procedures almost monthly because there is no policy in place. Real world human considerations are never taken into account. Being pulled over by a police officer or having your car break down among many other reasonable events are not accepted as excusable to missing a class or being late. Subsequently they take two percent off your course grade which has resulted in people needing to remediate courses, the whole year, or worst case scenario be dismissed. There is a doctor shortage…They have changed from giving ten minutes to arrive to five to one to about 45 seconds although they will tell you it is one minute. They set expectations for us and then change them on the fly and expect perfect compliance with no room to adjust. There are a lot of things this school does to put down the students and faculty that is nearly impossible to prove. A student with a broken leg didn’t walk fast enough to their seat and had 2% taken off their grade for it. At another time, the school released a schedule of exams and changed the date of the final exam without telling students. This caused flight conflicts to go back home to family. Instead of LUCOM admitting to the mistake they gaslighted the students by saying there was never a change. In a fireside chat, Dr. Raleigh inappropriately compared missing one class to missing a surgery. Something that may involve life or death. LUCOM is also a health hazard. In person attendance at the school is required without enforcing the wearing of face masks as well as no option to social distance. We have had many cases of covid and covid exposures at our school. One student had a child that got covid and Liberty told this student to expose a babysitter to covid and expose the school by forcing her to come. She didn’t come and was forced to leave with the option to repeat. Many other schools are exercising discretionary days and the ability to manage life, so this very thing doesn’t happen. This school has more than not done nothing but hurt the mental state of their students. Dehumanizing them and creating a compete lack of empathy. After attending LUCOM I can finally understand why the suicidal rate among medical students is so high. It’s not the coursework it’s the dehumanization by institutions such as LUCOM. Many students started health care medication without ever needing it before. This next thing is extremely important. LUCOM is NOT following AACOMAS policies. LUCOM has not made their policy clear, and wrongfully accused many students of cheating. When a student spoke out about it, he was almost dismissed. The ONLY reason he was not dismissed was to avoid your attention. LUCOM essentially used their policy in an already stressful environment to trick their students. All the people accused of this cheating did not get equal treatment. Some got more harsh punishment than others for no other reason than discrimination and popularity. You risk dismissal if you have a grievance with the school proven by the person who stood up to the school. The moral of the class has plummeted, and students are wanting to quit due to the mental anguish of the school. Many students have said they would have never attended if they knew they were going to be treated this way regardless of the dream of healing people as a physician. Becoming a physician is not worth becoming a robot, dehumanized to the nth degree. There are so many more examples that could be given, but there are too many to write.

Administration Affairs

There is one thing I want to talk about with administration, which has caused there to be all the other issues stated in this letter. There are no checks and balances within the school. Faculty to hold positions that look like checks and balanced are in place, are dismissed to “mind their business” and forced to shut their mouth. There is no way to support students and faculty to prevent the tyranny the administration has been placing on the faculty and students. The last dean who attempted to stand up for students and faculty was swiftly fired and replaced in less than half an hour with no explanation to faculty. You can be fired for not treating faculty and students subhuman. Their practice has caused more faculty than can be counted by one person to resign putting the College in a bad place. They are only given one year contracts and are also treated subhuman. Faculty can resign without giving up their dream. Students really can’t.

Discrimination

There is very obvious discrimination that occurs at the school. Faculty will not be hired UNLESS THEY ARE CREATIONIST CHRISTIAN. No exceptions. Many speakers have tried to be brought in to speak at the College about healthcare but were denied for being homosexual or a different religion (muslim) due to the fear of CONVERSION OF STUDENTS. This is extremely outrageous and unacceptable of an institution that is meant to create empathetic physicians all people.

Furthermore, students who speak up against the injustices done to them will be labeled as unprofessional on their record given to all residencies that they apply to without their knowledge. Faculty have revealed this to a few select students in confidence trying to save them from never being matched.

Faculty

There are some faculty that reside here that actively teach misogynistic and incorrect medicine. For example. Dr Swanson, head of the anatomy department stated, “period sex is medically unsafe “on more than one occasion inappropriately described climax, made molestation jokes over cadaver bodies, and has actively taught WRONG information which can be proven in the lecture PowerPoints. In fact, there is more than one faculty member that has taught objectively wrong information to people who will one day oversee people’s lives. All of the faculty that provide what little positive impact this school can have on a student have resigned and are in the process of leaving or already have left.

We a professor leaving because LUCOM disrespected them so much to hire someone unqualified to do their job and tell them it can be learned in less than a year when they have PhD in their field and took all first year medical courses.

EVERYONE QUALIFIED TO RUN THIS MEDICAL SCHOOL IS LEAVING. ALL THE STUDENTS ARE BEING TREATED LIKE GARBAGE AND NONE OF US HAVE THE POWER TO DO A SINGLE THING ABOUT IT PLEASE HELP US.

All I can say to end this letter is that LUCOM is a school that needs to be changed or not be a medical school at all. I would recommend every single premedical student to avoid going to LUCOM at all costs. Even if LUCOM is the only school to accept a student, it is not worth going. I understand that a lot of people may feel differently, however, these are objective events that have occurred and are blatantly wrong. Please help the faculty and students of LUCOM in whatever way you can. This is a last cry for help. I am planning on applying to a different program in a few years. One that won’t abuse me.

Thank you.
Not sure why this was directed at me, I was simply answering a question a potential student had about whether LUCOM had quotas of in state vs out of state students to enroll, which they do not because they are a private institution.

I see that your concerns have been addressed elsewhere, so I’ll leave it at that.

Just got the full acceptance call today, see y’all in the fall!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed in 02/18 and got a rejection letter yesterday (03/03). Is that rare?

Interview: 1/28
Provo: 2/09
Full A: 03/03
Interesting, I got the provisional on December 8th and still waiting on the full acceptance. Did you write a LOI? Might have to give them a call today.

Interesting, I got the provisional on December 8th and still waiting on the full acceptance. Did you write a LOI? Might have to give them a call today.
I toured the campus ASAP (Provo was 02/09 and then emailed 02/10 to tour campus, toured 02/18, emailed them after thanking for the tour, and then also writing an email a week later saying LUCOM is my top school (it is) and that I would accept a seat at any point even the first day of class. That’s what got me the A I think, they knew I really wanted to go there. I would schedule a tour if you haven’t, reach out and contact them weekly expressing interest etc if you really wanna go there. For me, not going to LUCOM wasn’t an option. :)

I toured the campus ASAP (Provo was 02/09 and then emailed 02/10 to tour campus, toured 02/18, emailed them after thanking for the tour, and then also writing an email a week later saying LUCOM is my top school (it is) and that I would accept a seat at any point even the first day of class. That’s what got me the A I think, they knew I really wanted to go there. I would schedule a tour if you haven’t, reach out and contact them weekly expressing interest etc if you really wanna go there. For me, not going to LUCOM wasn’t an option. :)
Thanks for the detailed response, and congratulations again!

I interviewed in 02/18 and got a rejection letter yesterday (03/03). Is that rare?
It's not rare to receive decisions fairly quickly after an interview, it just depends on where your interview date fell in relation to when the admissions committee met to make final recommendations to the Dean. I received my decision 8 days after my interview, for example, but others wait 3 weeks or more. The school does try to have decisions out within 14 days, but sometimes that's just not possible.

Good luck with the rest of your application cycle!

Interviewed 1/20, provisional 1/28, full acceptance 3/2! The Admissions Office said during our interview day that they look at interest so emailing/ calling/ sending LOIs will increase your chances of getting a seat. Good luck everyone!

Hey all,
I’m an incoming first year, and am looking for a potential roommate(s). I tried using the Facebook group, but to no avail, so I apologize if this isn’t the right place for this. If anyone’s interested, please message me,
Thanks,
Zack

Sent in my LOI! Hope to join you all in the fall!

• Love
Anyone know any fun activities or things to do in the area? I was accepted and my fiance and I are trying to find out some more info about the area since we're both from Illinois!

• Love
Anyone know any fun activities or things to do in the area? I was accepted and my fiance and I are trying to find out some more info about the area since we're both from Illinois!
Pretty sure there are a lot of cool hiking spots, they have two lakes near campus as well for kayaking, plus downtown Lynchburg is really cool for restaurants and coffee shops. Plus that ski slope they have on campus!

Hey all, new member here. LUCOM is my top choice by far and I have a provisional acceptance. I have written a LOI and took a tour last week. Does anybody know if there is a lot of movement on waitlists in the coming months? Just wondering if I have good chances of getting off the provisional. Also any advice as far as contacting them regularly? I feel like weekly letters would be too much but what do I know. I plan on emailing them 1 or 2x a month from here on out.

Hey all, new member here. LUCOM is my top choice by far and I have a provisional acceptance. I have written a LOI and took a tour last week. Does anybody know if there is a lot of movement on waitlists in the coming months? Just wondering if I have good chances of getting off the provisional. Also any advice as far as contacting them regularly? I feel like weekly letters would be too much but what do I know. I plan on emailing them 1 or 2x a month from here on out.
There is something called an “admissions melt” that occurs sometime in the late spring (May I believe) where you can’t hold onto more than one DO acceptance at a time. Most people, like me, who had more than one acceptance will have to commit to one school (to allow other waitlisted people access) at this point. Most people accepted will withdraw their acceptance and free up seats at this point, to go to their top schools. Not 100% sure on this date, someone correct me if I’m wrong lol.

There is something called an “admissions melt” that occurs sometime in the late spring (May I believe) where you can’t hold onto more than one DO acceptance at a time. Most people, like me, who had more than one acceptance will have to commit to one school (to allow other waitlisted people access) at this point. Most people accepted will withdraw their acceptance and free up seats at this point, to go to their top schools. Not 100% sure on this date, someone correct me if I’m wrong lol.
Yep! May 15th is decision day. Hoping I get a spot here before then though so I can better plan my life lol!

Yep! May 15th is decision day. Hoping I get a spot here before then though so I can better plan my life lol!
From looking at other threads it seems like there are still quite a few acceptances going out. Im even still waiting for a decision from another interview and probably wont hear back for another few weeks. Could be a lot of movement even before May 15th.

From looking at other threads it seems like there are still quite a few acceptances going out. Im even still waiting for a decision from another interview and probably wont hear back for another few weeks. Could be a lot of movement even before May 15th.
Yes there will be quite a bit of movement. Around April 1st I think we'll see a good bit based on a few conversations i've had!

Does anyone know the full details of a provisional acceptance? When do they take a seat deposit from you? Do you eventually get an official email? Are you allowed to apply to other schools again or do you have to “commit” to this school or sign something? Am provisionally accepted as of now and just have so many questions!

Does anyone know the full details of a provisional acceptance? When do they take a seat deposit from you? Do you eventually get an official email? Are you allowed to apply to other schools again or do you have to “commit” to this school or sign something? Am provisionally accepted as of now and just have so many questions!
I never got an email when provisionally accepted and they didnt take a deposit until I was fully accepted. I am not sure how it works with applying to other schools next year if you dont get fully accepted this year, but I imagine its like a regular acceptance for next year so I dont see why you wouldnt be able to apply to other schools.

I never got an email when provisionally accepted and they didnt take a deposit until I was fully accepted. I am not sure how it works with applying to other schools next year if you dont get fully accepted this year, but I imagine its like a regular acceptance for next year so I dont see why you wouldnt be able to apply to other schools.
My understanding is that if we don't get the full A this year, next cycle when they begin offering acceptances they offer them to us first. So there's no commitment until then. I myself am not putting myself through applications again, so LUCOM's my place, whether this year or next.

Did anyone get sent the affidavit today? It says due may 13th and if you accept, all other waitlists are withdrawn, currently on others and don’t know what to do. I was told it would be sent out in june

Yes, I also received the affidavit. I was also under the impression that it was coming more so late May. This is only my speculation, but I've heard that there might be movement on other waitlists after next week as that is the MD final decision date. If you are waiting to hear back from other schools, the deadline might afford that. Again, this is all something I heard from word of mouth, so take it with a grain of salt. It is a tough decision so I hope you hear good news to make it easier. Good luck!
Did anyone get sent the affidavit today? It says due may 13th and if you accept, all other waitlists are withdrawn, currently on others and don’t know what to do. I was told it would be sent out in june

Withdrawing my acceptance here. Hope it goes to someone waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm waiting to do the Financial-Check-In because I am hoping to get off the waitlist for my in-state school. Does anyone know what happens if I distribute my funds to LUCOM but then get into my in-state school after? Or does anyone know the last day to withdraw from school and get a refund?

Hoping to get into my in-state, and then my spot can go to one of you guys!

I'm waiting to do the Financial-Check-In because I am hoping to get off the waitlist for my in-state school. Does anyone know what happens if I distribute my funds to LUCOM but then get into my in-state school after? Or does anyone know the last day to withdraw from school and get a refund?

Hoping to get into my in-state, and then my spot can go to one of you guys!
[email protected] can answer these questions for you, they also can be reached at 434-592-7669

Well, I thought I wasn't going to get the call after the "melt", but after finding work and settling in for another year, I got the call for a full A this morning. Can't even believe it. See you all in Lynchburg. Gonna be a busy few weeks.

Reactions: 4 users