2021-2022 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Didn’t know the class was full until I interviewed today!! Hoping for provisional acceptance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Didn’t know the class was full until I interviewed today!! Hoping for provisional acceptance
That may change after December 15th, which is the first deadline for paying deposits. Spots usually free up after that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very impressed with the school, also hoping for that provisional acceptance! Anybody know what the post ii acceptance rate is here?

What did they tell you all about that? What does that mean for people still yet to interview?
If you are provisionally accepted, and you’re not offered a spot for the class of 2026, you’re guaranteed a spot in the class of 2027. Last year I heard they went through most of the provisional acceptances except for maybe 25 or so students.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are provisionally accepted, and you’re not offered a spot for the class of 2026, you’re guaranteed a spot in the class of 2027. Last year I heard they went through most of the provisional acceptances except for maybe 25 or so students.
So are they only offering provisional acceptances at this point or rejections?

So are they only offering provisional acceptances at this point or rejections?
Correct, the class is currently full for acceptances and they are offering only provisional acceptances or rejections. There is no waitlist anymore. As accepted students decide whether to commit to LUCOM or not (1st deposit deadline is 12/15), seats will become vacant and those on the provisional waitlist will be contacted, and interviews will continue to fill the provisional waitlist until the class of 2026 is full of committed students. I am not sure if there will be more outright acceptances given if lots of seats open up, but that’s a possibility.

At the point that all the c/o 2026 seats are paid and committed, the provisional waitlist becomes the starting point for the class of 2027, and when the new cycle begins in June they’ll finish filling the class and begin the provisional waitlist for the class of 2028. The benefit of a provisional waitlist is to maintain a higher standard for acceptance throughout the entire admissions cycle, rather than opting to admit less than optimal candidates in order to fill the class early, and potentially missing out on highly qualified students who maybe applied later. It’s also easier to fill the next year’s class if you have, say, 50 students already committed from the prior year’s cycle.

PROVISIONAL ACCEPTANCE!!! I'M GONNA BE A DOCTOR WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Congrats to all of you who have been accepted, provisional or otherwise...welcome to the LUCOM family! Here's the link to the class facebook page for anyone who has questions about housing, roommates, etc.

Hey does anyone know the attrition rate of LUCOM? The only info I could find were from really old threads

Hey does anyone know the attrition rate of LUCOM? The only info I could find were from really old threads
I do, but first I need you to define what you mean by attrition?

For the past 4 years or so, LUCOM has averaged 6-8 students in each first year class that either take a leave of absence for a myriad of reasons (medical, mental health, family, etc) or repeat the year due to grades. There were only two students outright dismissed last year, and only one the year before that. Very rarely someone will decide in first year that medicine is not for them and withdraw, but I know of only one situation where that has happened in the past 3 years.

There are also 3 anatomy fellowship positions and 3 OMM fellowship positions, and starting next year there will also be an option to take a research fellowship year…these 6-8 students would also drop down into the next class.

All that to say that in the past 4 years, I only know of three students who were dismissed outright, and this was after multiple attempts at remediation and/or repeated failures. LUCOM tries extremely hard to make sure that students are able to finish medical school once they start, and they are very accommodating when someone is struggling or has an issue that requires extended time in a semester to finish work or even needs to take a LOA.

But if you’re counting “attrition” as anyone who doesn’t graduate with their original class, you have to take into account LOAs and fellowship positions, which would total 20 at most, out of 160 per class (12.5%).

Edited for clarity and accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know if they email you for provisional acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I was wondering if there were any current LUCOM students on here? I had a few questions and was wondering if you would be available for me to ask?

When did you interview with them?
Dec 3rd, was super surprised to get a decision on the 8th. They met the morning of the 8th and called me in the afternoon.

Hi! I was wondering if there were any current LUCOM students on here? I had a few questions and was wondering if you would be available for me to ask?
Current 2nd year, feel free to ask here or PM me.

Just withdrew my acceptance offer as I received another offer from a school higher on my list. Best of luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

There’s a lot of hate for this school on sdn/Reddit - an immense amount of distaste regarding the school pushing religious ideologies onto their students. How accurate is this? How involved is the school with the personal lives of its students? Do people really receive fines for accidentally cursing? The school’s match rates seem fine… but does anyone know if there are any accounts of students being discriminated upon during rotations/in residency simply due to being associated with LUCOM? In general, I suppose I’m mainly asking how the perceptions posed on pre-med/medical forums on the internet actually translate to attitudes in the field (if anybody can actually offer insight here).

Accepted back in October but will be declining my acceptance offer to LUCOM to attend another program. To those waitlisted or currently waiting on an II, I hope my seat goes to one of you and wish you the best of luck during the ongoing application cycle! :)

There’s a lot of hate for this school on sdn/Reddit - an immense amount of distaste regarding the school pushing religious ideologies onto their students. How accurate is this? How involved is the school with the personal lives of its students? Do people really receive fines for accidentally cursing? The school’s match rates seem fine… but does anyone know if there are any accounts of students being discriminated upon during rotations/in residency simply due to being associated with LUCOM? In general, I suppose I’m mainly asking how the perceptions posed on pre-med/medical forums on the internet actually translate to attitudes in the field (if anybody can actually offer insight here).

False. The fines for cursing (or drinking, or whatever) are probably a reference to LU’s code of conduct, but there’s is nothing about fines for any type of behavior in our student handbook and I’ve never heard of a student being fined for anything at a medical school anywhere. We’re adults here…you won’t find LUCOM faculty and staff hiding in the bushes waiting to see if you drink a beer or kiss your so. They’re busy living their own lives. I have no idea what the undergrad university does because I didn’t go there, and we’re not on the main campus and are largely subject to our own set policies.

LUCOM is a Christian medical school…what does this mean in real life? It means the professors and admin pray for us before exams, we have convocation worship service once a week that’s 100% optional, and our faculty/staff are all Christian, and most of the students. We also have students who are of other faiths, and no faith at all. The only thing the school asks is that if you aren’t Christian, that you be respectful of those who are.

From what LUCOM alumni and 4th year rotating students tell me, there is no discrimination. We have to take the same boards, do away rotations and sub-is, and get letters of rec just like every other med student in the country. LUCOM students have been proven to be well-prepared, hardworking, and caring students…just like every other med school produces. They will occasionally have a bad apple or an awkward student…just like every other med school. See where I’m going with this? LUCOM is a medical school, it is designed to produce doctors and make money for the university…just like every other med school.

I will say that if anyone can’t handle being associated with a school who’s undergrad is under a lot scrutiny and is right now not looking so hot, you might want to take that into account. LU has been the center of a lot of scandal the past 3 years, largely due to the actions of the former president, but some new things have come to light involving several Title IX violations in the past. Again, this is at LU, not at LUCOM. I’m not saying that any of that is ok because it is definitely not, but LU isn’t the only school that has had these sorts of problems (DUKE, UCLA, MSU-COM, Stanford, etc). Bottom line: it’s a school, if it’s in existence any length of time it’s going to have problems eventually. No school is perfect.

Reactions: 4 users
Liberty is a christian school. If you dont feel comfortable about any kind of religious policies, maybe this school is not not for you. Liberty welcomes anyone regardless of their belief system but as it is based on christianity, I can imagine that it would be inevitable to encouter some kind of actions/policies that come in religious tones… I am okay with that as a christian but I see it may make other students uncomfortable. Choose your school wisely…. Know what you sign for.

It’s a medical school in the United States of America…for Gods sake people its not my first choice and honestly don’t recommend attending the school if you have other options, but at the end of the day this place will provide you with the necessary resources and guidance that will allow for you to practice medicine as a licensed physician. This isn’t the damn carribean program that will handicap you similarly to IMG‘s when searching for residency placement. The pre-clinical education and clinical rotations they provide you with will mirror just about every other DO program in the country. If you applied here and are forgoing attending when it’s you’re only option then I say this with the upmost sincerity…shame on you. Everyone just needs to take a step back and understand that these so called experts on this website like “Goro” and others I don‘t care enough to name are the FURTHEST thing from knowledgable individuals and im saying this because anyone and everyone on this site will headhunt schools like LUCOM, NSU-KPCOM, NYITCOM, etc…This website is the LAUGHING stock of the pre-med community bc so called experts will tell someone with 5 DO acceptances to reapply and forgo accepting any offer…WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN THAT?!!

It’s a medical school in the United States of America…for Gods sake people its not my first choice and honestly don’t recommend attending the school if you have other options, but at the end of the day this place will provide you with the necessary resources and guidance that will allow for you to practice medicine as a licensed physician. This isn’t the damn carribean program that will handicap you similarly to IMG‘s when searching for residency placement. The pre-clinical education and clinical rotations they provide you with will mirror just about every other DO program in the country. If you applied here and are forgoing attending when it’s you’re only option then I say this with the upmost sincerity…shame on you. Everyone just needs to take a step back and understand that these so called experts on this website like “Goro” and others I don‘t care enough to name are the FURTHEST thing from knowledgable individuals and im saying this because anyone and everyone on this site will headhunt schools like LUCOM, NSU-KPCOM, NYITCOM, etc…This website is the LAUGHING stock of the pre-med community bc so called experts will tell someone with 5 DO acceptances to reapply and forgo accepting any offer…WHERE IS THE LOGIC IN THAT?!!
Advice isn’t law and this is even more true in an anonymous format like sdn. That being said, never once in 5+ years on this site have I ever seen an ‘expert’ recommend what you just suggested. Only if the person accepted to those 5 DO programs provided something akin to ‘I would never be happy as a DO’ as additional information, would I suspect an ‘expert’ would recommend to them to decline those A’s and reapply. And even so, this recommendation would almost certainly be followed by ‘it’s an enormous gamble and you may never be able to get into US medical schools in years following if going this route’.

It would be interesting though to learn what’s built up your distrust in the ‘experts’ here. Based on what you wrote, it’s most likely you are conflating an ‘expert’ with someone who has not had their credentials validated or who is not sdn staff.

Reactions: 2 users
Advice isn’t law and this is even more true in an anonymous format like sdn. That being said, never once in 5+ years on this site have I ever seen an ‘expert’ recommend what you just suggested. Only if the person accepted to those 5 DO programs provided something akin to ‘I would never be happy as a DO’ as additional information, would I suspect an ‘expert’ would recommend to them to decline those A’s and reapply. And even so, this recommendation would almost certainly be followed by ‘it’s an enormous gamble and you may never be able to get into US medical schools in years following if going this route’.

It would be interesting though to learn what’s built up your distrust in the ‘experts’ here. Based on what you wrote, it’s most likely you are conflating an ‘expert’ with someone who has not had their credentials validated or who is not sdn staff.
Haha yes use a lot of big words just to tell me that I must be wrong because YOU haven’t read it, that’ll really add to the validity of your argument. Not once in my post did I state that advice should be deemed “law” and the student who asked for advice was actually very appreciative and proud to have received said acceptances. I quite literally referred to so called expert by their username in my comment if you simply ^^^see above. Being a member on this site for 5 years doesn’t lend to your credibility. In fact, your response to my post was essentially “I’ve been here longer so I know more than you and that means you’re wrong”. So while I would love to go search for said post from said expert I am referring to, along with countless other posts of the nature, I really just don’t care enough to add more than what I have already typed out. Go look on the “help me decide between school x and school y” page…maybe you’ll run into what I’m talking about over the next 5 years if you read carefully.

Haha yes use a lot of big words just to tell me that I must be wrong because YOU haven’t read it, that’ll really add to the validity of your argument. Not once in my post did I state that advice should be deemed “law” and the student who asked for advice was actually very appreciative and proud to have received said acceptances. I quite literally referred to so called expert by their username in my comment if you simply ^^^see above. Being a member on this site for 5 years doesn’t lend to your credibility. In fact, your response to my post was essentially “I’ve been here longer so I know more than you and that means you’re wrong”. So while I would love to go search for said post from said expert I am referring to, along with countless other posts of the nature, I really just don’t care enough to add more than what I have already typed out. Go look on the “help me decide between school x and school y” page…maybe you’ll run into what I’m talking about over the next 5 years if you read carefully.
Interesting interpretation of what I said. I won’t bother responding to anything you said or engage you further. It’s just not how I spend my time. Carry on with your opinions as you see fit.

Previously provisionally accepted and I got a call yesterday that I am finally accepted. Good luck everyone

Previously provisionally accepted and I got a call yesterday that I am finally accepted. Good luck everyone
Congrats! How long ago were you provisionally accepted? Also when do you have to pay your deposit by?

Congrats! How long ago were you provisionally accepted? Also when do you have to pay your deposit
I have been provisionally accepted for 2 weeks and deposit is due in a month (2k)

Provisional acceptance today. Interviewed 12/9. IS, 3.89, 506

I'm a little late to post but interviewed 12/3, got provisional 12/8, got the acceptance call 12/17!

Hey guys, I was accepted to LUCOM and had a question to any of the current students or anyone who might know the answer. On the website, there is a
Computer/Equipment Fee (1st Year Only) — $1750. Does it mean that LUCOm provides us with the laptop or do we need to purchase one that fits their qualification requirements? And if they provide a technology - is it a laptop or a tablet; what brand - Apple or Microsoft product? Thank you for your answer in advance!
Also, I was wondering if I can DM any current students as I have some additional questions?

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Last edited:
Hey guys, I am was accepted to LUCOM and had a Q to any of the current students or anyone who might know the answer. On the website, there is a
Computer/Equipment Fee (1st Year Only) — $1750. Does it mean that LUCOm provides us with the laptop or do we need to purchase one that fits their qualification requirements? And if they provide a technology - is it a laptop or a tablet; what brand - Apple or Microsoft product? Thank you for your answer in advance!
Also, I was wondering if I can DM any current students as I have some additional questions?

Happy Holidays Everyone!
They provide you with a laptop that must be used for all exams. My year got a Lenovo yoga L380 but last year’s incoming class got a Dell. They always choose something with a touchscreen, stylus and convertible (can be used as a tablet or laptop).

I really like our laptops and use mine all the time, but some of my classmates like their MacBooks too much to give them up, so they use them for class and use the school computer to take exams. That’s too much switching back and forth for me.

Hi all, I have an interview here next week and was wondering if it's closed/open file? SDN's interview tracker reports both types.

Hi all, I have an interview here next week and was wondering if it's closed/open file? SDN's interview tracker reports both types.
I believe it was open file but I'm not sure if the interviewer had access to grades/MCAT scores.

Based on my interview it appeared to be open to everything but MCATs and grades. They basically want to see if you are a good fit was by far the most conversational interview I had.

really dumb question but is accessing the liberty email just going to the liberty portal? i scheduled my interview but have not recieved a confirmation email, where is that supposed to go to? and is the class completely full already so i would be provisional anyways now?

really dumb question but is accessing the liberty email just going to the liberty portal? i scheduled my interview but have not recieved a confirmation email, where is that supposed to go to? and is the class completely full already so i would be provisional anyways now?

I believe the class is full at this point, but if you are provisionally accepted, and you’re not offered a spot for the class of 2026, you’re guaranteed a spot in the class of 2027. Last year I heard they went through most of the provisional acceptances except for maybe 25 or so students; as accepted students dropped their seats later in the cycle once they decided to go to other schools. So provisional doesn't necessarily mean you won't start in the fall.

Also, for anyone interested, the class of 2021's match results were just released.

Attachments

• LUCOM-Match-2021.pdf
    196.5 KB · Views: 255
For anyone currently attending this school (or has any knowledge about this phenomena for DO), are their low match numbers for surgery because of lack of student interest or because they wouldn’t match there from LUCOM?

I requested to be in the Facebook group for a while now. I was provisionally accepted and then accepted into the class of 2026. However, I have yet to be accepted to the group (it’s been at least 3 weeks). I’m not sure if it’s because I have not yet submitted my deposit? Does anyone have the same problem?

For anyone currently attending this school (or has any knowledge about this phenomena for DO), are their low match numbers for surgery because of lack of student interest or because they wouldn’t match there from LUCOM?
Some surgery programs require a traditional intern year in internal medicine, so some of those numbers are listed as IM. As to student interest vs matching, I couldn’t tell you, but here’s the link to the other match years if you’d like to look:

I do know that we have a very impressive match in optho at Walter Reed that was listed as IM for some reason.

I requested to be in the Facebook group for a while now. I was provisionally accepted and then accepted into the class of 2026. However, I have yet to be accepted to the group (it’s been at least 3 weeks). I’m not sure if it’s because I have not yet submitted my deposit? Does anyone have the same problem?
I have the same issue with trying to join the group, but I'm only provisionally accepted at this point.

I am in the same boat as you. My guess is that they are waiting until the deposit deadline to accept more people to the group.