-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Marian University (MU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014
Started by BB8730
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I also received an Open House invitation for September 6 and was wondering if any of the current students have any insight on this. I just completed my secondaries and submitted them. Is it worth going?
We haven't heard anything about it (slash I'm not even sure if they had one last year since there was no building yet hahaha). I'm sure it's worth going to. People here that make the decisions on whether or not you're getting in here seem very involved in everything. It's a good way to put your name and face out there. If the drive isn't horrendous, totally go!
Meows rather than writing that novel, you coulda been using your time to take advantage of those free copy privileges at your apartment complex and hookin a Jedi up with some anatomy review sheets![]()
#jedimooch
For those that were not completed on or before august 4th (i was complete august 8th) will the next batch of II be the following friday? seems like II's will be given every friday? thanks.
I think they're delayed.
oh :/ thats to bad. well the wait continues. thanks.I think they're delayed.
On the website it says that 3.2 is considered "minimum" for being competitive. Is there anyone who has that and was still rejected?
I am so frustrated with Marian right now. I interviewed late last year and was rejected. I improved my application and reapplied. To date, I haven't received a secondary application, and I submitted my primary on the first day it was open. All my recommendations have been in for weeks now. Brian Moody (albeit very busy) has been largely unreachable and with every day that passes is another opportunity lost for them to review my application and reconsider me.
For as much as I liked the school when I visited, I badly want another opportunity to show them why they should accept me. From my point of view, they don't seem to have it together like they did last year. Or, they're intentionally ignoring me because they don't like what I have to offer as a candidate.
Anyone else in the same boat?
For as much as I liked the school when I visited, I badly want another opportunity to show them why they should accept me. From my point of view, they don't seem to have it together like they did last year. Or, they're intentionally ignoring me because they don't like what I have to offer as a candidate.
Anyone else in the same boat?
oh :/ thats to bad. well the wait continues. thanks.
Actually, they may just be sending out stuff on Fridays. Explaining the complete lack of info so far lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
awesome reviews guys!
As for the admissions I agree they are a bit unreachable compared to other schools, but I'd say its pretty understandable as they are just starting their first year and still getting into the rhythm of what works and what doesn't.
^that and we were just informed today that applications are up >40% from where they were this time last year. Bryan Moody and his team are fantastic...I am sure they will catch up to the high volume soon enough.
Patience kids. This school is worth the wait.
I am so frustrated with Marian right now. I interviewed late last year and was rejected. I improved my application and reapplied. To date, I haven't received a secondary application, and I submitted my primary on the first day it was open. All my recommendations have been in for weeks now. Brian Moody (albeit very busy) has been largely unreachable and with every day that passes is another opportunity lost for them to review my application and reconsider me.
For as much as I liked the school when I visited, I badly want another opportunity to show them why they should accept me. From my point of view, they don't seem to have it together like they did last year. Or, they're intentionally ignoring me because they don't like what I have to offer as a candidate.
Anyone else in the same boat?
Sorry you're frustrated. Maybe there is a technology glitch!?! Sent you a PM to connect.
MU-COM
awesome reviews guys!
As for the admissions I agree they are a bit unreachable compared to other schools, but I'd say its pretty understandable as they are just starting their first year and still getting into the rhythm of what works and what doesn't.
At least its better than KCUMB, nearly everyone is still waiting on a secondary let alone an interview.
Unreachable is not a word that we use at MU-COM even though only one person answers the phone. Sent you a PM. At the same time, we appreciate your patience with this highly competitive process. As a matter of fact, I would defer to our current students who are in this forum so they can relate their experience now--and during admissions process last year.
MU-COM
^that and we were just informed today that applications are up >40% from where they were this time last year. Bryan Moody and his team are fantastic...I am sure they will catch up to the high volume soon enough.
Patience kids. This school is worth the wait.
Thanks, Mr. Kenobi. We are caught up with processing--even with the extra apps. Working on interview invites now.
MU-COM
Thanks MU COM for the updates.
Still on track for the august 23rd interview invite date? and perhaps once a week after that for more interview invitations? Thanks again!
Yes, we are on track for August 23 interview invites. After that it will be at least once a week, but likely more frequently. Remember, we ask for 2 weeks to screen--3 weeks at most.
MU-COM
MU COMYes, we are on track for August 23 interview invites. After that it will be at least once a week, but likely more frequently. Remember, we ask for 2 weeks to screen--3 weeks at most.
MU-COM
Great thanks!
So is an LOR from a science professor absolutely required here? I have a prehealth committee letter and a DO letter, both of which my portal says they have received. But it still says that I am missing a science letter. I had to get 2 science LORs for my committee letter but don't have access to those. Plus I graduated more than a year ago so I no longer speak to any of my science professors...
Got an "Open house" invite for sept 6th....probably the week before they start conducting interviews for which i am hopeful to get. Is it worth going if you are applying this cycle? was wondering what the thinking is behind this from everyone. thanks.
I also received an Open House invitation for September 6 and was wondering if any of the current students have any insight on this. I just completed my secondaries and submitted them. Is it worth going?
If it's not too far of a drive for you, definitely attend! It'll get you that much more excited about this school 🙂 But if you have to fly to get here or spend a lot of $$$, I would say it's definitely not something you have to do.
We haven't heard anything about it, yet. We'll give you info when we hear it!
I am so frustrated with Marian right now. I interviewed late last year and was rejected. I improved my application and reapplied. To date, I haven't received a secondary application, and I submitted my primary on the first day it was open. All my recommendations have been in for weeks now. Brian Moody (albeit very busy) has been largely unreachable and with every day that passes is another opportunity lost for them to review my application and reconsider me.
For as much as I liked the school when I visited, I badly want another opportunity to show them why they should accept me. From my point of view, they don't seem to have it together like they did last year. Or, they're intentionally ignoring me because they don't like what I have to offer as a candidate.
Anyone else in the same boat?
This shocks me! MU-COM is #1 when it comes to being reachable. I see they responded to you on here, so hopefully you made contact. As Kenobi said, they already have over 2,000 applications! Woohoo! So be patient, relax, and know that they'll get to you! We've all been in your shoes and it's tough. Good luck this cycle!

I'm going to the open house. It's a four hour drive from my neck of the woods in Michigan and I really wanna see the campus. I'm looking forward to meetin anyone else who's going down :0
a little over 24 hours remaining 😱
On the website it says that 3.2 is considered "minimum" for being competitive. Is there anyone who has that and was still rejected?
I'm sure. I personally know people last cycle who were well above that mark and never even got an interview invite here. Just because they post a minimum GPA, doesn't guarantee that you are in if you have that GPA (or even above)…this is a competitive process...3.2 as a minimum for competitivness is just that; a minimum benchmark/cutoff. I think they mention something about competitiveness increasing the higher you are over 3.4…I could be remembering that wrong though, it has been a while since I looked at that stuff on the website. GPA is only one piece of the app as well…albeit a large part.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if I'm the only one who never received the open house invitation.
Is there anyone else who didn't receive it?
Is there anyone else who didn't receive it?
Just wondering if I'm the only one who never received the open house invitation.
Is there anyone else who didn't receive it?
Didn't either. Perhaps we are too far away?
Didn't either. Perhaps we are too far away?
That's what I thought. Perhaps they realized that it would make no sense to invite someone who needs to fly in order to make it to their school. I think that's very thoughtful of them.
That's what I thought. Perhaps they realized that it would make no sense to invite someone who needs to fly in order to make it to their school. I think that's very thoughtful of them.
This school seems to be very aware and technologically savvy. I like it.
This school seems to be very aware and technologically savvy. I like it.
👍
Just wanted to pop in and say good luck to everyone this cycle...
To anyone contemplating a visit to MU-COM, I would strongly suggest doing it. Visit any school you are interested and try to get a feel for the atmosphere of the place you will be spending some of the more significant years of life in.
From my experience, I was lucky enough last cycle to visit many different schools and when all was said and done, MU-COM stood out above all the others. If you see the facilities, meet the faculty/administration, learn about the curriculum and hospital networks, and hopefully even meet some of the doc's from the community, you'll see how unique Marian is.
This place is awesome
To anyone contemplating a visit to MU-COM, I would strongly suggest doing it. Visit any school you are interested and try to get a feel for the atmosphere of the place you will be spending some of the more significant years of life in.
From my experience, I was lucky enough last cycle to visit many different schools and when all was said and done, MU-COM stood out above all the others. If you see the facilities, meet the faculty/administration, learn about the curriculum and hospital networks, and hopefully even meet some of the doc's from the community, you'll see how unique Marian is.
This place is awesome
Unreachable is not a word that we use at MU-COM even though only one person answers the phone. Sent you a PM. At the same time, we appreciate your patience with this highly competitive process. As a matter of fact, I would defer to our current students who are in this forum so they can relate their experience now--and during admissions process last year.
MU-COM
I like this! And I especially like how MUCOM gets on here to ensure no one has a bad application experience. Really is the mark of a good school!
lol it's not happening at midnight
Oh, yea i know, but wouldn't that be nice. 🙂
just counting down until the 23rd.
lol it's not happening at midnight
Hahaha hey you never know! I got one of my interview invites last cycle at 3 am lol
Hopefully we get some good news in the next 12 hours.
How long after you received your "aacomas application received" email did you get an interview invite?
No one has a recieved an ii yet
No one has a recieved an ii yet
What I wanted to say was how long till you got your secondary invite after your primary was acknowledged?
couple weeks, maybe less..middle of cylce right now so they might be backed up a touchWhat I wanted to say was how long till you got your secondary invite after your primary was acknowledged?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
via email? no phone call correct?
Email!
The anticipation is nerve wrecking!! Btw if we did complete before August 4th and didn't receive an ii does that mean its most likely a rejection or hold?
I'm pretty sure you will have an idea of where you stand fairly quickly. Last year I know MU-COM was all about giving you a response in 2-3 weeks (vs other schools that love to keep you waiting for months). Don't quote me on that because I don't know if they changed anything, but you should have an idea at some point in the near future probably.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 187
- Views
- 48K
D
- Replies
- 338
- Views
- 89K
- Replies
- 447
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 200
- Views
- 58K
- Replies
- 502
- Views
- 131K