2020-2021 Mayo Clinic (Alix), Arizona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It looks good, but not as good as MN's :
Will it improve after few(2to3) years

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It looks good, but not as good as MN's :/
idk to me they seem pretty comparable just given the really small class size. That is, since the number of students is so small, small differences between a couple of residency spots may appear more magnified than they are, when really these differences are just due to the individual students rather than the Az vs Mn campus.

I do agree that its interesting that there were only 38 matches. My gut tells me that this is due to ppl taking years off, but Its def a good thing to ask about.

Reactions: 3 users
First class had it rough. Even if Mayo tried to connect them with the MN campus, there were still a lot of logistical kinks to work out, which translated into times wasted. Also, it’s just hard to get any small advice from upperclassmen at the MN campus. Lastly, advising happened virtually this year so I wonder if they played a role too, especially because this is AZ’s first match.

I think it might be better to treat this first match list as a lower bound for Mayo AZ, which certainly isn’t bad (assuming not as many 12 failed to match).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It looks good, but not as good as MN's :/
I think interpreting this match list has a lot to do with your career goals in terms of geography. Mayo AZ seems to be a great choice for anyone seeking to match into an excellent residency on the west coast or specifically into a Mayo residency. If your goal is to go to an elite east coast institution like an ivy for residency, it's likely better to go to a great medical school in the east. Obviously there are exceptions to this, even on this match list, but I think that is probably a good rule of thumb. It really follows the conventional wisdom that we already knew.

Last edited:
a friend recently shared that AZ's ms4 class had fewer students -- they said 40ish

Reactions: 2 users
I'm on the waitlist for Mayo. Does anyone when orientation starts for M1 students? My current choice starts in August, and I want to plan a trip in July, but I'm unsure if I could potentially get off the waitlist for Mayo.

I'm on the waitlist for Mayo. Does anyone when orientation starts for M1 students? My current choice starts in August, and I want to plan a trip in July, but I'm unsure if I could potentially get off the waitlist for Mayo.
I’m also on the WL, but it still gives us dates on the WL part of the portal. It says the orientation/first day of class is July 6. Sorry, that may not be the best news for your trip.

Does anyone know how the odds are looking this year for off the WL?

Does anyone know how the odds are looking this year for off the WL?
I really don’t think there’s anyway of knowing. We only have historical data and don’t really know what effect COVID-19 will have. Based on the “help me decide X vs. Y” forum, it seems like there are a decent amount of Mayo AZ acceptees that also have offers to other fantastic institutions though. So I think it is realistic to be optimistic about WL movement.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I need your advice! I was thinking about applying to NJMS (state school) through the Early Decision process but wasn't sure if I should. With my stats, do you think it would be better for me to apply broadly and hope to get into a "Top 20"? Or do you think a Top 20 isn't a legit possibility and should just apply ED? I love NJMS but I wouldn't mind attending a more prestigious school like Mayo Clinic. Please help me out! Do you think a top 20 shouldn't be a realistic goal with my stats? I'm ORM.

GPA: 3.82 cGPA, 3.71 sGPA
MCAT: 518 (128,129,130,131)

Freshman: 3.57/3.4
Sophomore: 3.93/3.94
Senior: 3.89/3.89

Clinical Volunteering: 1,200 Hours

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 2,300 Hours

Shadowing: 240 Hours

Research: 6,300 Hours

3 Posters

*21 Publications (10 First Authors)*

Music Teacher (700+ Hours)

Hey everyone, I need your advice! I was thinking about applying to NJMS (state school) through the Early Decision process but wasn't sure if I should. With my stats, do you think it would be better for me to apply broadly and hope to get into a "Top 20"? Or do you think a Top 20 isn't a legit possibility and should just apply ED? I love NJMS but I wouldn't mind attending a more prestigious school like Mayo Clinic. Please help me out! Do you think a top 20 shouldn't be a realistic goal with my stats? I'm ORM.

3 Posters

This isn't the type of thread for these sorts of posts. You would get better responses and insight if you post over in the What Are My Chances (WAMC) forum.

3 Posters

For what it’s worth, with those stats and your research experience I think you have a good shot at a lot of Top 20’s!

Members don't see this ad :)
when do we think WL movement will begin?
Mostly at the end of the month I'm guessing. Some potentially after the 15th, but when everyone narrows to 1 on April 30th, early May might bring some movement.

Did you email admissions when uploading a LOI, or did you just upload it to the portal?

Did you email admissions when uploading a LOI, or did you just upload it to the portal?
I uploaded to the portal - I believe they say somewhere (I can't remember where) that is their preference.

I uploaded to the portal - I believe they say somewhere (I can't remember where) that is their preference.
Yeah, I agree. They said just uploading to the portal was their preference. And they also said in the WL email that "We look for your updates."

Did anyone on the waitlist get an email today inquiring about continued interest in Mayo AZ? Not sure if it means anything

Did anyone on the waitlist get an email today inquiring about continued interest in Mayo AZ? Not sure if it means anything
Did you get one? Historical precedent shows that that is a really good sign!

Also, did the email say you were highly ranked on the waitlist or anything? And had you already sent a LOI before getting this email?

Last edited:
I also received one! but I was curious to why mayo sends these emails out! I'm probably overthinking it but I was wondering why mayo does this and other schools don't?

I also received one! but I was curious to why mayo sends these emails out! I'm probably overthinking it but I was wondering why mayo does this and other schools don't?
I think it’s really just to maximize their admission yield. Same reason why they so strongly solicit letters of intent. They want the closest thing to a guarantee that if they give out an acceptance, the student will absolutely enroll.

congrats!! can I ask if you sent a LOI in before getting this email?

Would you mind elaborating on if the email came from admissions or your interviewers? Did you provide any update after receiving your WL decision? :)

it came from admissions and i provided updates after my WL decision! also sent a LOI :)

I also received a "still interested?" email this morning. I sent a LOI + update after being placed on the waitlist.

I also received a "still interested?" email this morning. I sent a LOI + update after being placed on the waitlist.
Also, my email did not say anything about being highly ranked, just asking about my interest.

Did you get one? Historical precedent shows that that is a really good sign!

Also, did the email say you were highly ranked on the waitlist or anything? And had you already sent a LOI before getting this email?
Yep I got one! I sent in a LOI and the email didn't mention anything about highly ranked just gauging interest

Anyone who did not send a letter of intent receive this email?

Are all these specifically for the AZ campus, or are there any MN mixed in as well?

Mine was AZ campus specific
Thank you for the hope! :) -MN Mayo Fam ❤️

edit: added a heart because the sigh of relief I just did justifies 2 emojis.

Last edited:
A little late but also +1 on the interest email (specific to AZ)! Sent a LOI a while ago. Did everyone on the WL receive this email?

+1 on interest email. Didn't think they were still coming out. Sent an update to them earlier in the year before the waitlist

Last edited:
+1 on interest email. Didn't think they were still coming out. Sent an update to them earlier in the year.
Did you get it today?

And also was it soliciting your interest or did it say they were interested/you were highly ranked?

Last edited:
Did you get it today?

And also was it soliciting your interest or did it say they were interested/you were highly ranked?
Yeah it came today, they seem to be gauging my interest. No mention of my ranking
Was it specifically for AZ or was it for both campuses?
I'm not sure if it was for both, but I think it's for AZ where I interviewed

Yeah it came today, they seem to be gauging my interest. No mention of my ranking

I'm not sure if it was for both, but I think it's for AZ where I interviewed
Thanks so much for your answers!

Had you communicated with them frequently/recently before receiving it?

got an email yesterday as well gaging my interest, no mention of my ranking, can't tell if the person is associated with AZ or MN.

note that the email said that the decisions will be coming out over the next couple of months

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
got an email yesterday as well gaging my interest, no mention of my ranking, can't tell if the person is associated with AZ or MN.

note that the email said that the decisions will be coming out over the next couple of months
+1 Interviewed for Arizona, but nothing specific in the email. Sent a letter of continued interest with updates a few days earlier

+1 Interviewed for Arizona, but nothing specific in the email. Sent a letter of continued interest with updates a few days earlier
Congrats!!!

This makes me nervous as someone who also sent something in though!

trying to stay calm... good luck this week to everyone on the WL!

• Care
  • Love
Looks like Arizona has had some movement, we’ve had three new people join the Facebook group in the past ~12 hours.
If there are any SDN-lurkers out there who have gotten A's recently, there are many of us who would REALLY appreciate it if you let us know 🙏 This silence is nerve-racking.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi from a lurker! I was accepted yesterday for the AZ/FL 2+2 program. I had sent a letter of intent in January and update in April. Good luck to you all, I really hope As are coming your way too :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users