Mayo vs. VCU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which school?

• Mayo

Votes: 38 82.6%
  • VCU

Votes: 8 17.4%

• Total voters

vcu2018yay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Mayo it is! Thank you, all!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
VCU Pros:
  1. Close to home
  2. Lease signed, housing and all that is established. Peanuts in the grand scheme of things to break a lease. The 4k less at mayo will be more than enough to pay for it.
  3. A few of my closest friends will be in my class
  4. Maybe not as competitive an atmosphere?
VCU Cons:
  1. Not as prestigious as Mayo
  2. With 200+ students in my class, I can definitely see myself getting lost in the shuffle
Mayo Pros:
  1. Can’t beat the education that you will get there
  2. Students are very close to one another
  3. 50 students per class means that the deans know your name and who you are. After gaining acceptance, I actually emailed the general admissions email, asking to speak to someone about the curriculum. I ended up getting a call from the Dean of the med school.
Mayo Cons
  1. It’s in Rochester, MN
  2. Not as vibrant of a social life/scene
  3. I’d have to somehow find an apt and move halfway across the country Same reason, it's chump change compared to the loan you will take.
guys, please help.

How important is being close to your friends and family?

Did you just get off the waitlist today?

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you just get off the waitlist today?

No, just got the aid information today and they've given me a week to make a decision

Honestly, pretty important. I'm extremely close to my family. I can always make new friends!

Last edited:
I would say Mayo by a long shot, especially since cost isn't a factor.

I think it comes down to location vs. education. What do you value more? Being close to your family and in a more urban environment or having what is possibly a better and more focused educational experience?

You say you're an extrovert and crave friendships, so what's wrong with a large class size? I believe you can be successful from any allo US school as long as you work at it. If I were you I'd stay nice and warm at VCU among friends and family rather than freeze to death all alone in Rochester. F*ck Mayo. There, I said it.

This is dependent on the individual. I would not be able to survive med school without seeing my family and friends on a very regular basis (which might be why I'm biased towards VCU), but I have classmates who left their entire lives thousands of miles away to attend my school. Some are really happy, others are miserable. Think long and hard about this question.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
You say you're an extrovert and crave friendships, so what's wrong with a large class size? I believe you can be successful from any allo US school as long as you work at it. If I were you I'd stay nice and warm at VCU among friends and family rather than freeze to death all alone in Rochester. F*ck Mayo. There, I said it.
:eyebrow:

alrighty, guys. I've chosen Mayo! Could not be more ecstatic.

Reactions: 2 users
congrats. Now, priorities first. Change your sdn name.

Reactions: 1 user