MSTP at Univ Alabama Birmingham strange invite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JmanDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I received a request from UAB's MSTP program, based on a review of my MCAT scores (32, though I do have a lot of rsch exp-does that mean they've been scouring AMCAS apps of people who haven't indicated the slightest interest?) to please apply to their program. They tell me to go back to AMCAS, add their program and recertify and that I won't be charged. They then say you don't have to fill a secondary unless you are going to be invited to an interview.

I'm sorry but this sounds a bit fishy, like those business scam emails, b/c I have never contacted them, nor have I added any indication of interest on my AMCAS.
Is this legit and has anyone else received this type of email from them?

Members don't see this ad.

So today I received a request from UAB's MSTP program, based on a review of my MCAT scores (32, though I do have a lot of rsch exp-does that mean they've been scouring AMCAS apps of people who haven't indicated the slightest interest?) to please apply to their program. They tell me to go back to AMCAS, add their program and recertify and that I won't be charged. They then say you don't have to fill a secondary unless you are going to be invited to an interview.

I'm sorry but this sounds a bit fishy, like those business scam emails, b/c I have never contacted them, nor have I added any indication of interest on my AMCAS.
Is this legit and has anyone else received this type of email from them?

I got the same email, and I don't see why it would be a scam, but I would be interested in other opinions on this.

I have no research experience, and have a 34 MCAT. Maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part, because a school is contacting me instead of the other way around. I feel like I have been dumped by multiple girlfriends simultaneously this cycle, and Alabama is the rebound relationship. Whatever, I would totally go to Bama.

I am definitely going to investigate this further.

I got the same email earlier today as well. I think it's because when we signed up for the MCAT, there was an option to allow schools to contact us based on our scores (or something to that effect), and we checked it. I don't think they have access to AMCAS information without our allowing them. I don't think it's a scam or anything -- just a school looking to recruit those who they believe have a high enough MCAT score (not sure what their cutoff is; I got a 31).

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same email earlier today as well. I think it's because when we signed up for the MCAT, there was an option to allow schools to contact us based on our scores (or something to that effect), and we checked it. I don't think they have access to AMCAS information without our allowing them. I don't think it's a scam or anything -- just a school looking to recruit those who they believe have a high enough MCAT score (not sure what their cutoff is; I got a 31).

I think it is also tied to the fact that they are funded through the NIH, and checking that box on the test gives some agencies your info. The catch is that you will have to write another couple of essays in AMCAS unless you have already applied MD/PhD. From the looks of things thus far, the cutoff is a 30? What the hell, it sounds like a long-shot, but it can't hurt!

I think it is also tied to the fact that they are funded through the NIH, and checking that box on the test gives some agencies your info. The catch is that you will have to write another couple of essays in AMCAS unless you have already applied MD/PhD. From the looks of things thus far, the cutoff is a 30? What the hell, it sounds like a long-shot, but it can't hurt!

I wonder how competitive the MD/PhD program is. I have a minimal amount of research experience, but not what a lot of people actively seeking to gain admission to a combined degree program have, I'm sure. Not to mention it was six years ago (I'm a non-trad). From just poking around on their website a bit (they allude to it here: http://www.uasom.uab.edu/mdphd/process.html), it looks like they want you to have some background in research...

EDIT: Found this in the FAQs page (http://www.uasom.uab.edu/mdphd/faq.html):

What does the MSTP admissions committee look for?

Besides qualification for admission to the medical school itself, the single most important component of an MSTP application is (as above) a previous sustained and productive research experience.

I wonder how competitive the MD/PhD program is. I have a minimal amount of research experience, but not what a lot of people actively seeking to gain admission to a combined degree program have, I'm sure. Not to mention it was six years ago (I'm a non-trad). From just poking around on their website a bit (they allude to it here: http://www.uasom.uab.edu/mdphd/process.html), it looks like they want you to have some background in research...

Yeah, I am in the same boat. Non-traditional with minimal research experience.

I said earlier that my research experience is non-existent, but I did do a thesis for my psych degree that involved data collection, and presented a poster at a research symposium, but I certainly don't have any publications to my name.

So, are you gonna roll the dice? If you do it, I'll do it:thumbup:

Practically everyone with an MCAT over 30 gets this email. I got it in June or July this summer. Don't get excited, it's a really hard program to get into and the fact that they emailed you a brochure means absolutely nothing.

I got this email today too. No amount of money could make me live in Alabama for 8 years.

Seriously, this late in the game? I'm not up for re-certifying and then possibly flying out to Alabama. Is their school even well known/respected?

Seriously, this late in the game? I'm not up for re-certifying and then possibly flying out to Alabama. Is their school even well known/respected?

The MSTP definitely is. However, if you have little research experience, and more importantly, never planned on doing an MD/PhD to begin with, I don't see why you would do anything more with it than just feel delightfully flattered.

Practically everyone with an MCAT over 30 gets this email. I got it in June or July this summer. Don't get excited, it's a really hard program to get into and the fact that they emailed you a brochure means absolutely nothing.

I got this same advice three months ago about how I shouldn't apply to UC schools because I would never be considered...already have my first interview.

I got this same advice three months ago about how I shouldn't apply to UC schools because I would never be considered...already have my first interview.

The fact that you got a brochure from UAB's MSTP doesn't mean you would get an interview. If you're interested in the program itself apply but don't apply because you think they like you because you got the brochure.

The fact that you got a brochure from UAB's MSTP doesn't mean you would get an interview. If you're interested in the program itself apply but don't apply because you think they like you because you got the brochure.

Not sure when I said that I would get an interview at Alabama? I was simply remarking about how an applicant shouldn't try just because it is difficult to gain admission. If this advice were followed, then it would pointless to apply anywhere. I also said nothing about Alabama's interest in me as an applicant, just that it doesn't hurt to roll the dice. How did such an optimistic thread devolve into this?

Anybody still interested in the program, good luck! For those of your who aren't, good luck to you as well. Now back to my pointless secondaries:smuggrin:

Update: So, I applied on Wednesday, and today I received 2 updates. The first said that my application will soon undergo review, and the second one said that my application will be reviewed TODAY!

It is expected another email update will be available within one to two weeks.

So far they are the friendliest school through email. I like their approach.

I found this by searching and had to share!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=560954&highlight=alabama+mstp

Update: So, I applied on Wednesday, and today I received 2 updates. The first said that my application will soon undergo review, and the second one said that my application will be reviewed TODAY!

It is expected another email update will be available within one to two weeks.

So far they are the friendliest school through email. I like their approach.

I found this by searching and had to share!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=560954&highlight=alabama+mstp

wow it's really cool for them to keep you updated like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.