Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm saying that if I didn't have to stay in NY, I would've applied more broadly. If I had applied more broadly and received invites to other top tier programs, I would feel that matching at a program like Columbia isn't such a crapshoot bcs clearly other top tier programs saw something in my app and were interested.

Why are you SDNers so quick to jump down someone's throat? Geeze.

welcome to the passive aggressive gunner **** show
 
I'm saying that if I didn't have to stay in NY, I would've applied more broadly. If I had applied more broadly and received invites to other top tier programs, I would feel that matching at a program like Columbia isn't such a crapshoot bcs clearly other top tier programs saw something in my app and were interested.

Why are you SDNers so quick to jump down someone's throat? Geeze.

Wow, yikes. Sorry. Didn't mean to offend at all, just confused by your post. FWIW, it's probably not a complete crapshoot if you got the invite, I doubt Columbia would just randomly invite random schmoes. You have some pretty good programs on that list and personally I'd take that as validation that you're generally an attractive candidate. Sure, it'd have been nice to have other "top" programs to fall back on, but as you said, you have personal reasons for wanting to stay local...
 
Last edited:
Help me rank pls! Interested in GI and very geographically restricted to NY due to certain family issues. In rough order, here is what I was thinking:

Columbia
Sinai
Cornell
Nyu
Yale
Einstein
Nslij
Rwj
Stony
Downstate
Njms
Winthrop
Ny hospital queens
Queens hospital
Nassau university hospital

Any help would be much appreciated!

I like how you have Queens Hospital Center above Nassau lol
I couldnt even rank Nassau after my interview but I thought Queens Hospital Center was just as bad (if not worse)
Your list is fine you won't fall below NSLIJ
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Looking for some help with my list. I applied only in the northeast. Looking to possibly go into GI or pulm/cc, but openminded. My spouse and I live near one of the community programs and love the area. I really like the program and my spouse has a good job within driving distance. Just wondering if staying at the community program would hamper my fellowship opportunities.

University programs
Brown
Dartmouth
UMass
UConn

Community
Lahey
Maine Medical Center

This is basically an unanswerable question, at least for any particular individual. Statistically speaking, going to a Uni program (and a "good" one) will give you a better chance to match in a competitive fellowship than from a community program. This is not a perfect correlation though and it's important to remember that it's an individual applicant that matches into fellowship, not the residency program. A program is the product of the sum of it's residents at least as much (if not more) than the resident is the product of the program. Don't make the mistake of thinking that coming from Program X (that routinely has an excellent fellowship match list) will insure that you match at an excellent program for fellowship...that's on you no matter where you go to residency.

So...to answer your question, using objective criteria (as objective as possible in this setting), I would rank:
Dartmouth
Brown
UMass
MMC
UConn
Lahey
(you could swap the last two)

But you're the one who has to live with the decision in both the short- (3y of residency) and long-term (fellowship and career opportunities, marital strife, etc) so ultimately, it doesn't matter what I (or anybody else here) thinks about your list.
 
Interested in general/primary care IM programs with a not-so-subtle geographic preference for California; not currently interested in pursuing fellowship, but don't want to close any doors either. With a newborn on the way, also looking for some semblance of work/life balance...

Would appreciate feedback on my current ranking:

1. UCLA (incl. PC track)
2. UCSF (incl. PC track)
3. Northwestern
4. Scripps (great interview day experience)
5. Cedars-Sinai
6. UCI
7. UCSD (too research-heavy for me)
8. CPMC
9. Kaiser LA
 
Last edited:
Interested in general/primary care IM programs with a not-so-subtle geographic preference for California; not currently interested in pursuing fellowship, but don't want to close any doors either. With a newborn on the way, also looking for some semblance of work/life balance...

Would appreciate feedback on my current ranking:

1. UCLA (incl. PC track)
2. UCSF (incl. PC track)
3. Northwestern
4. Scripps (great interview day experience)
5. Cedars-Sinai
6. UCI
7. UCSD (too research-heavy for me)
8. CPMC
9. Kaiser LA

Nothing wrong with your list. I'd personally move CPMC a lot higher on your list (and UCLA further down, but that's based on my own geographic biases so isn't relevant to you). But if you left it alone, you'd be fine. Be sure you love you #1-3 because you're going there.
 
I already posted on this, but still looking for some additional help (from gutonc or others). I am interested in knowing the relative difference in cards/GI fellowship opportunities in the northeast with my top 3 programs. While I really liked the University of Minnesota, I don't know whether I'd be sacrificing future fellowship opportunities in ranking it higher than Baylor College of Medicine.

Currently, the rank list is:
1. NYU
2. University of Minnesota
3. Baylor College of Medicine

Thanks!
 
How would you rank these? Im interested in Hem/Onc. Would prefer to be in midwest but open. Right now my list is:

-Case UH
-MCW in Milwaukee
-Drexel
-Case Metro
-Emory
-Loyola
-Downstate in NY
-Jacobi in NY
-Winthrop in NY
-Lehigh Valley in PA
-Cinci
-Allegheny


Thank you!!
 
Last edited:
How would you rank these? Im interested in Hem/Onc. Would prefer to be in midwest but open. Right now my list is:

-Case UH
-MCW in Milwaukee
-Drexel
-Case Metro
-Emory
-Loyola
-Downstate in NY
-Jacobi in NY
-Winthrop in NY
-Lehigh Valley in PA
-Cinci
-Allegheny


Thank you!!

I'd move Emory and Loyola to 3 and 4 and otherwise leave it alone.
 
I already posted on this, but still looking for some additional help (from gutonc or others). I am interested in knowing the relative difference in cards/GI fellowship opportunities in the northeast with my top 3 programs. While I really liked the University of Minnesota, I don't know whether I'd be sacrificing future fellowship opportunities in ranking it higher than Baylor College of Medicine.

Currently, the rank list is:
1. NYU
2. University of Minnesota
3. Baylor College of Medicine

Thanks!

It's fine. Relax. And stop re-posting.
 
is case uh much better than mcw? (more academic, better hem/onc?)
what are the opinions on jacobi vs. downstate?
winthrop vs. lehigh valley? i think winthrop is better pay and benefits while lehigh is more cushy

thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
is case uh much better than mcw? (more academic, better hem/onc?)
what are the opinions on jacobi vs. downstate?
winthrop vs. lehigh valley? i think winthrop is better pay and benefits while lehigh is more cushy

thanks

Downstate is a university program. Jacobi is community. On that alone, I'd put Downstate above. Patient population (poor/underserved) quite similar between the two.
 
Last edited:
No please fact check first.

Downstate is a university program.

Jacobi is a community program w/ university affiliation (Einstein).

Kinda different things ya know.

Please fact check. According to Freida Jacobi IS a university program. But it seems not getting much love here for some unclear reason. People who want to stay in NY interview from all the way down to Winthrop, but not at Jacobi...

Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacobi) Program
Bronx, New York 140-35-31-521
Yes Yes 3yrs 38 64hrs 16hrs Yes $55858 1
 
Please fact check. According to Freida Jacobi IS a university program. But it seems not getting much love here for some unclear reason. People who want to stay in NY interview from all the way down to Winthrop, but not at Jacobi...

Albert Einstein College of Medicine (Jacobi) Program
Bronx, New York 140-35-31-521
Yes Yes 3yrs 38 64hrs 16hrs Yes $55858 1

Just because it says AECOM... doesn't mean its a true university affiliation. If that is the case, Beth Israel is a university program (also affiliated with AECOM). St Luke's-Roosevelt is a university program (affil w/ Columbia) etc etc.

Anyway, the REAL AECOM university program is Montefiore Moses/Weiler campus ... Neither Jacobi nor Wakefield are true university programs of AECOM.
 
Last edited:
I am SURE Jacobi is a U program. Monte is the most prestigious one of the 3, but Jacobi is still a U program, with full time Einstein faculty and full access to all Einstein resources.
I think they are very similar, Jacobi and Downstate that is. I interviewed at both, have a hard time ranking them.

So you Gutonc, or anyone else, have an opinion on differences between the 2?
 
I am SURE Jacobi is a U program. Monte is the most prestigious one of the 3, but Jacobi is still a U program, with full time Einstein faculty and full access to all Einstein resources.
I think they are very similar, Jacobi and Downstate that is. I interviewed at both, have a hard time ranking them.

So you Gutonc, or anyone else, have an opinion on differences between the 2?

I don't think this is true. No matter how hard you wish this to be, the Moses/Weiler Campus is the REAL Monte program. As stated by an above post, this is very similar to say UCLA having affiliated programs such as Harbor, Olive, and Cedars... But only REAGAN Medical center is true UCLA. And guess what, those other hospitals have full-time UCLA faculty too! Surprise surprise...

Don't be fooled.

PS we're quibbling over 7 and 8 on your list....
 
Again, type of program "1" means a University Program. University affiliated programs, such as SLR or Hopkins Bayview, are of type "5" on Freida.

Just because it says AECOM... doesn't mean its a true university affiliation. If that is the case, Beth Israel is a university program (also affiliated with AECOM). St Luke's-Roosevelt is a university program (affil w/ Columbia) etc etc.

Anyway, the REAL AECOM university program is Montefiore Moses/Weiler campus ... Neither Jacobi nor Wakefield are true university programs of AECOM.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I'm having trouble with the certain aspects of my list. I have narrowed down top 3, next 3 and next 4 but I'm having trouble ranking them more than that. I am interested in medical education and a fellowship in cards or pulm/crit care. I don't have any pressing geographic ties.

1-3 (Having trouble figuring out what order I should put these in) MGH (Worried about the malignant reputation, although the residents seemed nice enough in my interview), UPenn, WashU (Probably felt that I would fit in most here, have some friends in St Louis. I am worried though that the fellowship match is not as strong as MGH or Penn)

4-6 UTSW (I have alot of friends in the Dallas area but I am worried about the reputation), University of Washington (Liked the city but have trouble seeing my self living there for some reason and it takes forever to get anywhere from the west coast), U Mich (liked the program but seems a bit cold and far away)

7-10 Northwestern, U Chicago, BID, Stanford
 
I interviewed at almost all the same places. I think your list looks good.
Felt something was off at Penn. Personally, I felt too stupid to be at Penn and didn't feel like I fit in. You may feel challenged by the opportunities there and thrive there. Great focus on med education though.

WashU seemed amazing and they kept throwing money at you to do stuff. You can do med ed projects with MinM. Don't think you will have any trouble with fellowship coming out of there. St. Louis would be the only negative.

UTSW seemed very intense to me. If you wanna do Cards, they would be a good fit.

UMich seemed to have great opportunities for fellowship and the people I interviewed with were all amazing. Great focus on professional development and getting you to the next step. Cold and expensive. Nice sandwiches.

Northwestern was amazing! It was definitely more relaxed atmosphere. The PD was very charismatic and residents were all happy.

BIDMC also seemed to have happy residents and a very enthusiastic PD with a track in education. Concerned about overshadow by other Boston programs. Met a lot of residents that were doing prelims there then going on to do rads at Brigham or MGH.

Stanford seemed very chill with a moderate sized class. The leadership seemed to be a very cohesive group. One of the chiefs was going on do med ed in the future.

Cancelled UWash and Uchicago so I can't comment on those. Didn't interview at Man's Greatest.
 
Hey guys..would love and appreciate any feedback. This is how I would rank currently.

1. Baylor COM
2. NSLIJ
3. USC
4. Case Western UH
5. USF
6. Wake Forest (I think WF is a GREAT program..but I'm just not sure about living in Winston Salem)
7. UT Houston
8. UMiami/Jackson
9. William Beaumont/Oakland Univ
10. UTMB
11. Washington Hospital Center
12. Henry Ford
13. UArizona

Depending on your career plans (which I have no idea of), is there a specific reason Ford isn't higher than Beaumont? Of course your gut trumps all, don't get me wrong. I interviewed at both places as well, it seemed you work a lot more at Ford but have more opportunities later on as well. I just wanted to know what other people are thinking about these two head to head.
 
Last edited:
Hi, I'm having trouble with the certain aspects of my list. I have narrowed down top 3, next 3 and next 4 but I'm having trouble ranking them more than that. I am interested in medical education and a fellowship in cards or pulm/crit care. I don't have any pressing geographic ties.

1-3 (Having trouble figuring out what order I should put these in) MGH (Worried about the malignant reputation, although the residents seemed nice enough in my interview), UPenn, WashU (Probably felt that I would fit in most here, have some friends in St Louis. I am worried though that the fellowship match is not as strong as MGH or Penn)

4-6 UTSW (I have alot of friends in the Dallas area but I am worried about the reputation), University of Washington (Liked the city but have trouble seeing my self living there for some reason and it takes forever to get anywhere from the west coast), U Mich (liked the program but seems a bit cold and far away)

7-10 Northwestern, U Chicago, BID, Stanford

#whitepeopleproblems

You've got 10 awesome programs on your list. Flip a coin 20 times. Put them all on a dartboard, drink a half case of PBR and go to work on it. Whatever.

And if you're seriously stressing that WashU doesn't have "as strong a match list" as Penn and MGH then...you know what...I got nothing. Your issues with programs are either misguided or irrelevant.

Now that I've had my fun though...based on your stated concerns:
WU
MGH
Penn
UTSW
UW (how often do you anticipate being able to fly anywhere...for anything during residency? ...2 more hours are meaningless)
UMich
Whatever from here on out. You're going to match your Top 3-5 so choose wisely.
 
I am SURE Jacobi is a U program. Monte is the most prestigious one of the 3, but Jacobi is still a U program, with full time Einstein faculty and full access to all Einstein resources.
I think they are very similar, Jacobi and Downstate that is. I interviewed at both, have a hard time ranking them.

So you Gutonc, or anyone else, have an opinion on differences between the 2?

The whole Jacobi/Monte conversation is ridiculous. Monte is the "university program" and Jacobi is the county program. But everybody rotates at both hospitals and frankly it doesn't really matter all that much.

I don't have any actual experience with Jacobi. But one HHC program is pretty much the same as another. You'll have more research opportunities at Jacobi (if you play your cards right) than you will at Downstate.

Flip a coin. Choose hipsters or gangsters as your neighbors.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Choose hipsters or gangsters as your neighbors.

not to nitpick but there aren't any hipsters in either neighborhood. gangsters (downstate) and guidos (jacobi) maybe

...granted there will be plenty of gangsters to go around at either
 
Lol @ #whitepeopleproblems. I almost fell outta my chair laughing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile
 
have been perusing this thread as I try to make up my own rank list with the hopes that i'd get some insight. my top 3 are in constant flux; however, for the past few days, the following order seems to be what I'm content with. ...i think?

about me: california native with the goal of hem/onc

1/2. cornell - have friends in NY, MSK affiliation, but wasn't completely blown away on interview day
1/2. usc - don't mind the large class size, slightly concerned about board pass rates, lots of opportunities for hem/onc research, totally don't mind the county experience
3. cedars - medicine at its "ideal" (with minimal social issues), too "cush" of a program?, maybe not as many big hem/onc people as usc.
4. harbor ucla - county experience, smaller program, fewer resources
5. mayo - love everything about it except for that it's in rochester

for the record, i do plan to rank more than 5. thanks for the help!
 
have been perusing this thread as I try to make up my own rank list with the hopes that i'd get some insight. my top 3 are in constant flux; however, for the past few days, the following order seems to be what I'm content with. ...i think?

about me: california native with the goal of hem/onc

1/2. cornell - have friends in NY, MSK affiliation, but wasn't completely blown away on interview day
1/2. usc - don't mind the large class size, slightly concerned about board pass rates, lots of opportunities for hem/onc research, totally don't mind the county experience
3. cedars - medicine at its "ideal" (with minimal social issues), too "cush" of a program?, maybe not as many big hem/onc people as usc.
4. harbor ucla - county experience, smaller program, fewer resources
5. mayo - love everything about it except for that it's in rochester

for the record, i do plan to rank more than 5. thanks for the help!

Location aside, Cornell and Mayo should be 1 and 2 (in some order) and USC should be 3. The rest as you like them keeping in mind that it probably won't matter at all.
 
not to nitpick but there aren't any hipsters in either neighborhood. gangsters (downstate) and guidos (jacobi) maybe

...granted there will be plenty of gangsters to go around at either

How many Downstate residents do you think actually live in East Flatbush?

And you'll notice I said "gangsters" rather than "gangstas." Jacobi is smack in the middle of classic Bronx mob territory.
 
Alright I wasn't going to post but I'm really struggling between my top 3. I think each program has their own pros and cons and I can't really seem to find anything to really bump any of them definitively up or down. I'm considering either ID (HIV medicine) or Heme/Onc. Geography isn't a huge deal to me either though I tend towards wanting a city/underserved patient population. Any thoughts?

1-3 (in random order): Maryland, Mt. Sinai, UPMC
4 Jeff
5 Temple
6 UVA (GREAT program, but the location is not ideal)
7 Monte
8 BU
9 Tufts
10 NS-LIJ
11 Lenox Hill
12 BI
13 SLR (got the worst vibe the day I was there...)
 
Alright I wasn't going to post but I'm really struggling between my top 3. I think each program has their own pros and cons and I can't really seem to find anything to really bump any of them definitively up or down. I'm considering either ID (HIV medicine) or Heme/Onc. Geography isn't a huge deal to me either though I tend towards wanting a city/underserved patient population. Any thoughts?

1-3 (in random order): Maryland, Mt. Sinai, UPMC
4 Jeff
5 Temple
6 UVA (GREAT program, but the location is not ideal)
7 Monte
8 BU
9 Tufts
10 NS-LIJ
11 Lenox Hill
12 BI
13 SLR (got the worst vibe the day I was there...)

I'm only going to bother with your Top 3.

MSSM has better ID, Pitt has (arguably) better hem/onc. They both have good IM. Choose based on location or just flip a coin. Maryland should be 3rd.
 
Thanks for all of your help previously! 🙂 I've always found the input helpful, especially from gutonc, and I think this feedback helps me negate any regional biases I may encounter within my own program.

I've gotten confirmation from some programs that if matched, I would have a spot in the ABIM pathway. I was hoping you could help me rank the programs with regard to the cardiology and/or endocrinology fellowships.

1. Vanderbilt: great genetic database and EMR system, large VA database as well, strong basic science research, strong emphasis on teaching, overall a research power house
2. Emory: amazing clinical research faculty (some of the best in the nation for what I'm interested in), large number of clinical trials, unsure about the IM residency as it seemed very impersonal on my interview day and I think I can easily get lost within the large group
3. UPMC: super friendly and supportive, someone is doing EXACTLY the research I want to do, unsure about the strength of the cardiology fellowship
4. Michigan (non-fast track): not fast track but strong cardiology department with mentors who seem happy to work with you, residents seemed well trained and had enough time to learn
5. UTSW (non-fast track): cardiology research powerhouse, loved the faculty and residents, seemed a little cutthroat as the program ranks its residents (?, based on hearsay from other threads)

I'm pretty committed to research and if matched at #4 or #5, I'd still do research when possible. I've browsed the cardiology forum and it seems that Emory and UTSW offer more opportunities for Level 2's, but I'm so early in my career that I have no idea if it'll matter in the long run.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and good luck!
 
Hello everyone. could you please help me rank these places for categorical IM:


Emory
CCF
UTH
Washington Hospital center
UF-Jacksonville
University of New Mexico
MCG
 
Last edited:
How do Michigan, Wash U, Vandy, and NW compare in terms of national reputation and fellowship placement?
 
Hello everyone. could you please help me rank these places for categorical IM:


Emory
CCF
UTH
Washington Hospital center
UF-Jacksonville
University of New Mexico
MCG

I would rank the first 4 the same as you. The last 3 are pretty interchangeable
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone know why cedars-Sinai doesn't get much love on here? Their match list looks pretty solid and they have location and faculty and facilities going for them. Most people have lists ranking USC ahead of cedars and I'm baffled. I think 1st yr med students would run/contribute to morning report better than I saw on my USC interview. I'll chalk that up to being their presumed worst session of the year, but still. Out of curiosity, what did people not like about cedars?
 
Really? Math can be hard but 13x4=52 is pretty simple.



Some places go by months and will have 12 blocks. Some places go by weeks and will have 13 blocks. Just got a little confused but yes it is simple now that you wrote the problem on the board.