Official 2012-2013 Help Me Rank Megathread

Started by NoChanges
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys,

I am an IMG... i am interested in cardiology in future..... i want to rank my programs according to my chances of getting into cards... i am confused about my top 4 -5 choices....

1. William Beaumont
2. MCG, augusta
3. Westchester Medical center
4. NY hospital of queens
5. Advocate illinois masonic

thanks.
 
Hi guys,

I am an IMG... i am interested in cardiology in future..... i want to rank my programs according to my chances of getting into cards... i am confused about my top 4 -5 choices....

1. William Beaumont
2. MCG, augusta
3. Westchester Medical center
4. NY hospital of queens
5. Advocate illinois masonic

thanks.

Those are all IMG heavy programs and none of them are in any way well known for their cards matches. Rank them in the order you'll think you'll thrive in them because that will be your best chance for cards.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is not something one can find on their site... What about Monte, any better? It looks as a really tranquil and green place from satellite

And you'll notice I said "gangsters" rather than "gangstas." Jacobi is smack in the middle of classic Bronx mob territory.
 
Speak for yourself.

I had a chat with my wife, we sat down and ranked 14 programs, we went out for dinner at a Zagat Top 10 restaurant. I slept like a baby until July 1.

:laugh:

Likewise, I was promised a spot at my #2 (and no, not the vague "ranked to match" B.S.), and basically just had to play a waiting game on which 2 of my favorite places I would end up at. So I started drinking more.
 
:laugh:

Likewise, I was promised a spot at my #2 (and no, not the vague "ranked to match" B.S.), and basically just had to play a waiting game on which 2 of my favorite places I would end up at. So I started drinking more.

I decided as an M3 to stay at my home institution for residency so I wondered why everyone else was so obsessed with the match process. I got annoyed with my friends for talking about the match 24/7. I figured it was just three years...

Then I decided to aim for the opposite coast for fellowship and became obsessed with the process 🙂 I studied old sdn application threads dating back to 2005 and checked for updates q4 hrs. And I definitely told my wife "I think I've settled on my #1" at least 50 different times within 3 months.

It's a nervous process and I can definitely now empathize..
 
Hi guys,

I am an IMG... i am interested in cardiology in future..... i want to rank my programs according to my chances of getting into cards... i am confused about my top 4 -5 choices....

1. William Beaumont
2. MCG, augusta
3. Westchester Medical center
4. NY hospital of queens
5. Advocate illinois masonic

thanks.

I don't know about the others but Beaumont has a great cards fellowship program. It's not as research intensive as big name universities but it is well reputed. They tend to try and match in-house (or so that's what it looks like) so putting them #1 would be a no brainer if you liked the program too.
 
This is basically an unanswerable question, at least for any particular individual. Statistically speaking, going to a Uni program (and a "good" one) will give you a better chance to match in a competitive fellowship than from a community program. This is not a perfect correlation though and it's important to remember that it's an individual applicant that matches into fellowship, not the residency program. A program is the product of the sum of it's residents at least as much (if not more) than the resident is the product of the program. Don't make the mistake of thinking that coming from Program X (that routinely has an excellent fellowship match list) will insure that you match at an excellent program for fellowship...that's on you no matter where you go to residency.

So...to answer your question, using objective criteria (as objective as possible in this setting), I would rank:
Dartmouth
Brown
UMass
MMC
UConn
Lahey
(you could swap the last two)

But you're the one who has to live with the decision in both the short- (3y of residency) and long-term (fellowship and career opportunities, marital strife, etc) so ultimately, it doesn't matter what I (or anybody else here) thinks about your list.

Thanks for your input!
 
How do Michigan, Wash U, Vandy, and NW compare in terms of national reputation and fellowship placement?

Sorry for the double post... Screwed up the first one. I'm also interested in these programs and would like any insight as to how they are perceived throughout the country. Thanks!
 
Thanks for all of your help previously! 🙂 I've always found the input helpful, especially from gutonc, and I think this feedback helps me negate any regional biases I may encounter within my own program.

I've gotten confirmation from some programs that if matched, I would have a spot in the ABIM pathway. I was hoping you could help me rank the programs with regard to the cardiology and/or endocrinology fellowships.

1. Vanderbilt: great genetic database and EMR system, large VA database as well, strong basic science research, strong emphasis on teaching, overall a research power house
2. Emory: amazing clinical research faculty (some of the best in the nation for what I'm interested in), large number of clinical trials, unsure about the IM residency as it seemed very impersonal on my interview day and I think I can easily get lost within the large group
3. UPMC: super friendly and supportive, someone is doing EXACTLY the research I want to do, unsure about the strength of the cardiology fellowship
4. Michigan (non-fast track): not fast track but strong cardiology department with mentors who seem happy to work with you, residents seemed well trained and had enough time to learn
5. UTSW (non-fast track): cardiology research powerhouse, loved the faculty and residents, seemed a little cutthroat as the program ranks its residents (?, based on hearsay from other threads)

I'm pretty committed to research and if matched at #4 or #5, I'd still do research when possible. I've browsed the cardiology forum and it seems that Emory and UTSW offer more opportunities for Level 2's, but I'm so early in my career that I have no idea if it'll matter in the long run.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and good luck!

I also interviewed at some fast-track and non-fast track positions. I think your situation and final ROL will be highly personal-- especially if you are dead set on fast tracking. Personally, I think that the question you should really be asking yourself is whether or not you can find good resources and a good research mentor and if you fit in well with the residents for your IM training. I think your list and order look great and even if you somehow "fell" into your non-fast track places, your research resume was already strong enough to get you fast-tracking at great programs and I doubt you'd be at any disadvantage if you had to apply for fellowships normally.
 
Sorry for the double post... Screwed up the first one. I'm also interested in these programs and would like any insight as to how they are perceived throughout the country. Thanks!

So this is just my opinion as a fellow applicant, but comparing NW/Vandy/Mich/Wash U is like asking someone which car is more likely to impress the ladies: a Benz, a BMW, or a Lexus? They're all great places and shouldn't hold you back in any way.
 
So I am having a tough time deciding between how to rank the following programs... any suggestions or comments would be infinitely helpful.

1-4. Colorado, UPMC, Mayo Clinic, Michigan (no specific order)
5-6. USC vs. Baylor
7. Cincinnati
8. Jefferson

Thoughts?
 
So I am having a tough time deciding between how to rank the following programs... any suggestions or comments would be infinitely helpful.

1-4. Colorado, UPMC, Mayo Clinic, Michigan (no specific order)
5-6. USC vs. Baylor
7. Cincinnati
8. Jefferson

Thoughts?

What are you looking for?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are you looking for?

Sorry forgot to include all that important info. Most important is possibility for fellowship placement nationwide (looking at Cards vs Heme/Onc). All things being equal, location is somewhat important (i.e. city over small town). I would prefer program with some degree of rigor, autonomy, and diversity in pathology.
 
Thank you so much for ur valuable input torsades42 and gutonc.... i will be ranking beaumont #1 without a doubt...
 
I'm having trouble coming up with a rank list. I'm currently thinking pulmonary/critical care, but I'm open to everything from renal, cards, heme/onc, GI, geriatrics, and hospitalist. I'm looking for strong clinical training, outstanding mentorship, camaraderie, fellowship/education/clinical research opportunities. I'd prefer a city, but my main concern is a program with nice people who will support my future career plans. I have broken up my programs into 3 groups based on preference each with their own strengths and weakness. The rankings within groups are not absolute at this point. Unfortunately I haven't felt that "gut" feeling. Any insight from the SDN gurus? Here's my preliminary rank list. Sorry for the long post. Thanks a lot!!

Top Group
1. Pitt (Presby/Monte) – Geriatrics Track
-Pros: thought the program was organized with good mentorship and research opportunities. Has a lot of pathway opportunities and ability to work with underserved. Residents and faculty seem smart and personable. Strong focus on education.
-Cons: Doesn't have a county hospital system. Didn't really "click" with the residents.
2. UTSW
-Pros: Outstanding clinical training. Residents appeared content with the 4+1 system and new program director. People seemed really nice and approachable. Outstanding potpourri conference. Parkland hospital
-Cons: Appears to have a malignant rep and can sense it a little bit in their conference where they call interns, med students, and faculty down in front of everyone to discuss cases in front of everyone in a huge auditorium. Such a huge program – possible problems with finding a mentor? Hospitals spread out.
3. UC Denver
-Pros: Location! Outstanding facilities and lots of things to do. Residents seemed down-to-earth and very happy with 4+1. Good mentorship opportunities. Innovative noon conference.
-Cons: Huge program, easy to get lost in the fray going to 4 hospitals, which are spread out
4. Baylor (Houston)
-Pros: outstanding faculty, outstanding fellowship match, outstanding hospital system (Ben Taub very impressive and strong affiliation with Texas Heart Institute), impressive morning report, Texas Medical Center is awesome, excellent patient diversity
-Cons: poor resident turnout at pre-interview dinner, interview day a little disorganized (were left stranded at a location, but luckily a Baylor student knew how to get back to the office), finances reportedly improving but still worried, huge program (difficult to find mentorship?)

Middle Group
5. Iowa
-Pros: Super nice people, program director with a clear vision for his program and dedication to teaching, residents strongly advocated for their program
-Cons: Not much to do in Iowa City, wasn't really fond of the noon conference (residents seemed relatively weak compared to other programs) and hospital food was subpar
6. Virginia
-Pros: program director seems really supportive, residents seem intelligent and supportive, impressive interview day
-Cons: Charlottesville is pretty small, only go to 1 hospital (possible diminished clinical diversity)

Bottom Group
7. Wisconsin
-Pros: program director has a clear vision for the program and has infrastructure to help residents find research opportunities and mentorship
-Cons: hospital very confusing, interview day was very disorganized (escort got me lost to my interview, and interviewers refused to give me their business cards), Madison is pretty small.
8. Minnesota
-Pros: program director and interviewers were super nice, Minneapolis seems like a nice place, ultrasound curriculum
-Cons: few residents I met were not very friendly, multiple hospitals spread out, very cold
 
Hi, I've been a lurker for a while and don't really post much, but like everyone else, I'm hoping for some insight/advice about my rank list if you can spare some. Possibly interested in endocrine, GI or allergy, but I haven't ruled anything else out yet. This is what I've got if I were to rank today, based on fellowship match rates, happiness of residents, and just plain old gut feeling:

1. Cedars
2, USC
3. Kaiser LA
4. UC Irvine
5. UCLA- Olive View
6. Loma Linda
7. SCVMC

Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated 🙂 Thanks!
 
I also interviewed at some fast-track and non-fast track positions. I think your situation and final ROL will be highly personal-- especially if you are dead set on fast tracking. Personally, I think that the question you should really be asking yourself is whether or not you can find good resources and a good research mentor and if you fit in well with the residents for your IM training. I think your list and order look great and even if you somehow "fell" into your non-fast track places, your research resume was already strong enough to get you fast-tracking at great programs and I doubt you'd be at any disadvantage if you had to apply for fellowships normally.

Thanks, HoldTheCoffee!
 
Hi, I've been a lurker for a while and don't really post much, but like everyone else, I'm hoping for some insight/advice about my rank list if you can spare some. Possibly interested in endocrine, GI or allergy, but I haven't ruled anything else out yet. This is what I've got if I were to rank today, based on fellowship match rates, happiness of residents, and just plain old gut feeling:

1. Cedars
2, USC
3. Kaiser LA
4. UC Irvine
5. UCLA- Olive View
6. Loma Linda
7. SCVMC

Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated 🙂 Thanks!

id argue olive view is better than usc
 
I am interested in doing GI. Here is my order for my top 7 programs now - any thoughts?

1. BU
2. Cedars-Sinai
3. Miami - Jackson Memorial
4. Case Western
5. Montefiore
6. Temple
7. USC

I felt like BU has a great reputation, has a solid fellowship match list in the past few years, and has residents who were happy. The only downside I saw about the program is that they have a later sign out than any other program I've seen (7 pm). The 3+1 system makes up for it though. I see why it has a malignant reputation, but seeing residents happy says more to me than the rumors of a malignant rep.

It didn't seem like USC matched as well as Cedars for GI, which is why it's ranked so low. On the other hand, I'm not sure why the threads show that USC is better than Cedars. USC has made tons of changes to their program, but Cedars has a nationally ranked GI department, which I think would open up more opportunities for research with people who have connections all over the country.

Jackson Memorial is up there because their match for GI this year was impressive, although I know it's a county hospital and the hospital system isn't in the best financial state. This leaves employees over worked at the hospital. On the other hand, the residents seem happy and they definitely will see pathology that other programs can't offer. Coming out of a program fluent in medical spanish isn't a bad thing either.

I did not like Cleveland and when I went there for a second look, the residents even complained about the city, although the program is great and the PD is awesome.

I tried explaining my thought process for most programs here. I'm stressing over this list and would appreciate any advice/comments on what I've listed above.
 
I am interested in doing GI. Here is my order for my top 7 programs now - any thoughts?

1. BU
2. Cedars-Sinai
3. Miami - Jackson Memorial
4. Case Western
5. Montefiore
6. Temple
7. USC

I felt like BU has a great reputation, has a solid fellowship match list in the past few years, and has residents who were happy. The only downside I saw about the program is that they have a later sign out than any other program I've seen (7 pm). The 3+1 system makes up for it though. I see why it has a malignant reputation, but seeing residents happy says more to me than the rumors of a malignant rep.

How can you understand BU's malignant rep if you're convinced the residents are happy? Do they have signout at 7pm every night? I thought there was call (though I stopped writing that stuff down by the end because everyone seemed to have some elaborate call schedule that in the end wouldn't change my ROL).

You didn't comment on Monte... spend enough time talking to the residents and you get the unhappiness vibe through the insistence everything is super. IIRC, they have long and short call with long call signout at like 9 so that the night float intern can round in the AM.
 
id argue olive view is better than usc

Definitely not. Olive View is such a joke of a residency. They don't even have a cath lab. I would honestly rank USC number one as it is the only university program on your list. Cedars is such a kush program and their VA experience was very unimpressive. I don't know where all this non-love for USC stems from, but if you interview there, you will be pleasantly surprised. I know that one of the chiefs matched in Yale for GI and there were other big name GI fellowship matches as well.
 
I am interested in doing GI. Here is my order for my top 7 programs now - any thoughts?

1. BU
2. Cedars-Sinai
3. Miami - Jackson Memorial
4. Case Western
5. Montefiore
6. Temple
7. USC

I felt like BU has a great reputation, has a solid fellowship match list in the past few years, and has residents who were happy. The only downside I saw about the program is that they have a later sign out than any other program I've seen (7 pm). The 3+1 system makes up for it though. I see why it has a malignant reputation, but seeing residents happy says more to me than the rumors of a malignant rep.

It didn't seem like USC matched as well as Cedars for GI, which is why it's ranked so low. On the other hand, I'm not sure why the threads show that USC is better than Cedars. USC has made tons of changes to their program, but Cedars has a nationally ranked GI department, which I think would open up more opportunities for research with people who have connections all over the country.

Jackson Memorial is up there because their match for GI this year was impressive, although I know it's a county hospital and the hospital system isn't in the best financial state. This leaves employees over worked at the hospital. On the other hand, the residents seem happy and they definitely will see pathology that other programs can't offer. Coming out of a program fluent in medical spanish isn't a bad thing either.

I did not like Cleveland and when I went there for a second look, the residents even complained about the city, although the program is great and the PD is awesome.

I tried explaining my thought process for most programs here. I'm stressing over this list and would appreciate any advice/comments on what I've listed above.


You would seriously rank Miami, Temple, or Montefiore over USC?? Those programs are all in terrible locations in hospitals with crumbling infrastructure. My recs...

1-3. BU, Case Western, USC
4. Cedars (their actual fellowship match list was very unimpressive)
5+ The rest
 
Sorry for the repost, but I realized that my original post was incomplete and I would best be served just consolidating all the information in a single repost than trying to answer separates ones.

So I am having a tough time deciding between how to rank the following programs. Most important is possibility for fellowship placement nationwide (looking at Cards vs Heme/Onc). All things being equal, location is somewhat important (i.e. city over small town). I would prefer program with some degree of rigor, autonomy, and diversity in pathology.
Any suggestions or comments would be infinitely helpful.

1-4. Colorado, UPMC, Mayo Clinic, Michigan (no specific order)
5-6. USC vs. Baylor
7. Cincinnati
8. Jefferson

Thoughts?
 
You would seriously rank Miami, Temple, or Montefiore over USC?? Those programs are all in terrible locations in hospitals with crumbling infrastructure.

regarding monte are you talking about physical infrastructure? definitely got the opposite impression of "crumbling" when i visited. the hospital was way nicer than i would've expected. if you're talking more globally it is the only tertiary care center serving the bronx and the northern suburbs of NYC.
 
2. UTSW
-Pros: Outstanding clinical training. Residents appeared content with the 4+1 system and new program director. People seemed really nice and approachable. Outstanding potpourri conference. Parkland hospital
-Cons: Appears to have a malignant rep and can sense it a little bit in their conference where they call interns, med students, and faculty down in front of everyone to discuss cases in front of everyone in a huge auditorium. Such a huge program – possible problems with finding a mentor? Hospitals spread out.

solid list of programs

don't know how potpourri is an outstanding conference but also a con because it is malignant. anyways, if you are thinking pulm/crit care then you will get plenty of ICU exposure during your training at utsw but the fellowship program isn't at the level of upitt. also, as a resident at baylor, i don't think you'll really get too much time to work directly at st lukes/THI from what i remember having rotated through there as a medical student unless something has changed.
 
Hi guys,

I am an IMG... i am interested in cardiology in future..... i want to rank my programs according to my chances of getting into cards... i am confused about my top 4 -5 choices....

1. William Beaumont
2. MCG, augusta
3. Westchester Medical center
4. NY hospital of queens
5. Advocate illinois masonic

thanks.

Yes, MCG is mostly all FMG's.....however.....that being said....it is the ONLY one of the above programs that is a University program. All the others are community programs. (Don't let the "university affiliated" that they will claim distract you). MCG has its own cardiology fellowship and has lots of potential research and if location isn't an issue....always go with the university program over the community programs if you want a fellowship.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Definitely not. Olive View is such a joke of a residency. They don't even have a cath lab. I would honestly rank USC number one as it is the only university program on your list. Cedars is such a kush program and their VA experience was very unimpressive. I don't know where all this non-love for USC stems from, but if you interview there, you will be pleasantly surprised. I know that one of the chiefs matched in Yale for GI and there were other big name GI fellowship matches as well.

Do you have experience at cedars to support your "kush" description or are you just basing it on other posts? What about their VA experience is unimpressive? I specifically asked residents about the VA experience and they seemed to really like it (granted I only asked 2). I'm asking because I am considering them fairly high on my list right now.
I have nothing against USC, but I was very unimpressed on my IV there; could be the morning report or the couple snobbish residents at dinner the wrong way, but that was my experience. They did have a chief who matched at Yale in GI, and I think someone in the previous class matched there as well. Their match other than those was not very solid, which makes me wonder if the Yale matches were because of a connection there.
 
id argue olive view is better than usc

Thanks for your feedback. Why do you think Olive View is better? I think the teaching there is, but I've heard matching into fellowship might be harder coming from Olive View. On the other hand, USC's fellowship match is kind of questionable too...
 
And.... "kush" and ! = cush. One you smoke....

On another note. I absolutely loved Olive View. Any other thoughts on OV UCLA?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile
 
What do you guys think my chances are for MGH? I interviewed at the following places.

MGH
Northwestern
Duke/Wash U
Denver
UCLA
Emory
Case Western
UAB
KU
Hopkins Bayview
 
Yes, MCG is mostly all FMG's.....however.....that being said....it is the ONLY one of the above programs that is a University program. All the others are community programs. (Don't let the "university affiliated" that they will claim distract you). MCG has its own cardiology fellowship and has lots of potential research and if location isn't an issue....always go with the university program over the community programs if you want a fellowship.

Would you say this holds true if it is a pretty strong community program with all fellowships in house (i.e. Henry Ford) over small/"low tier" university programs?
 
Hey guys, this looks like it is an awesome forum!

I am incredibly confused! The interviews I felt most comfortable at were louisville, utmb, kentucky, san antonio and utah. But even still I honestly have no idea where I'd like to go and how I should rank!! How would you rank these programs? Im interested in either GI or Hem/Onc so fellowship placement is the most important thing for me! Any help at all would be sincerely appreciated

Here are the options(In no specific order):
1. University of Louisville
2. UTMB- Galveston
3. UTHSC-San Antonio
4. University of Kentucky
5. University of Utah
6. University of Arizona
7. West Virginia University
8. University of Oklahoma
9. Medical College of Georgia
10. Albany Medical Center
 
Hey all,

Great discussion and advice here on these forums! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am a native Californian (from LA) at an east coast school, and would like to go back west for residency. I am considering a career in primary care but haven't ruled out doing a subspecialty (especially ID). I am also interested in medical education. My number one is set, but I am still wrestling with the rest of my list, especially 2-6.

1) UCLA
2) OHSU - really enjoyed my interview day, atmosphere of the program, the residents are cool and the PD is amazing, Portland is a cool city and still close enough to home
3) UC Davis - great training and residents, good research/global health opportunities, strong primary care, living in Sac is a downside but it's affordable
4) Penn - obviously a great program, but would like a change of scene in terms of city
5) Mount Sinai - great program, nice new PD
6) NYU - liked the emphasis on the underserved here
7) Ceders
8) CPMC
9) USC
10) UCLA Harbor

Any thoughts on OHSU vs. UC Davis and putting them above my east coast programs? I know they do not have the same name recognition as Penn/Mount Sinai/NYU, but they are still considered pretty strong programs on the west coast (as far as I know). I am not opposed to living on the east coast, and I'm sure I could suck it up for the new few years, but I eventually see myself settling down back home.
 
They are all great programs, but you should live where you will be happy.
The long term professional differences will be minimal.

Hey all,

Great discussion and advice here on these forums! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am a native Californian (from LA) at an east coast school, and would like to go back west for residency. I am considering a career in primary care but haven't ruled out doing a subspecialty (especially ID). I am also interested in medical education. My number one is set, but I am still wrestling with the rest of my list, especially 2-6.

1) UCLA
2) OHSU - really enjoyed my interview day, atmosphere of the program, the residents are cool and the PD is amazing, Portland is a cool city and still close enough to home
3) UC Davis - great training and residents, good research/global health opportunities, strong primary care, living in Sac is a downside but it's affordable
4) Penn - obviously a great program, but would like a change of scene in terms of city
5) Mount Sinai - great program, nice new PD
6) NYU - liked the emphasis on the underserved here
7) Ceders
8) CPMC
9) USC
10) UCLA Harbor

Any thoughts on OHSU vs. UC Davis and putting them above my east coast programs? I know they do not have the same name recognition as Penn/Mount Sinai/NYU, but they are still considered pretty strong programs on the west coast (as far as I know). I am not opposed to living on the east coast, and I'm sure I could suck it up for the new few years, but I eventually see myself settling down back home.
 
Wow this thread is actually legit this year.

The year I applied, 75% of the "Is this list OK????!!11! :scared::scared: " posts looked something like this:

1.) Hopkins-Osler
2.) Brigham & Womens
3.) MGH
4.) MGH / Brigham & Women's bridge program
5.) UCSF :scared:
6.) UCLA / UCSF fast track (LASF program)
7.) UPenn
8.) Duke
9.) WashU
10.) UWash
11.) UWashU
12.) Columbia
13.) Cornell
14.) Columbornell
15.) NWern
16.) SWern
17.) SEern
18.) NEern
19.) Dermatology (back up plan)

:scared::scared::scared:
 
Current rank list. Interested in GI fellowship.

1. Baylor
2. Pitt
3. Cedars-Sinai
4. USC
5. UTSW
6. Emory
7. UAB
8. UVA
9. Cleveland Clinic
 
Hey guys, this looks like it is an awesome forum!

I am incredibly confused! The interviews I felt most comfortable at were louisville, utmb, kentucky, san antonio and utah. But even still I honestly have no idea where I'd like to go and how I should rank!! How would you rank these programs? Im interested in either GI or Hem/Onc so fellowship placement is the most important thing for me! Any help at all would be sincerely appreciated

Here are the options(In no specific order):

Nope. If you can't be bothered to rank your own programs, why should anybody else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

Great discussion and advice here on these forums! Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I am a native Californian (from LA) at an east coast school, and would like to go back west for residency. I am considering a career in primary care but haven't ruled out doing a subspecialty (especially ID). I am also interested in medical education. My number one is set, but I am still wrestling with the rest of my list, especially 2-6.

1) UCLA
2) OHSU - really enjoyed my interview day, atmosphere of the program, the residents are cool and the PD is amazing, Portland is a cool city and still close enough to home
3) UC Davis - great training and residents, good research/global health opportunities, strong primary care, living in Sac is a downside but it's affordable
4) Penn - obviously a great program, but would like a change of scene in terms of city
5) Mount Sinai - great program, nice new PD
6) NYU - liked the emphasis on the underserved here
7) Ceders
8) CPMC
9) USC
10) UCLA Harbor

Any thoughts on OHSU vs. UC Davis and putting them above my east coast programs? I know they do not have the same name recognition as Penn/Mount Sinai/NYU, but they are still considered pretty strong programs on the west coast (as far as I know). I am not opposed to living on the east coast, and I'm sure I could suck it up for the new few years, but I eventually see myself settling down back home.

I think Davis is a little out of place in that list. I think USC is probably a better program (at least from the national rep standpoint) and your East Coast programs are clearly stronger. that said, rank them how you like them and you'll be fine. Be sure you love your #1-3 though because that's more than likely (not 100% mind you) all that matters.
 
Hey everyone!
I am an IMG having a tough time deciding between these three programs..will really appreciate.
1. Cook county, Chicago
2. Maimonides Medical Center, New York
3. Baystate/tufts , Springfield, MA

All of them fulfill my visa requirements and have in house fellowships. Help!
 
Hello, am an active SDN member (IMG) since a few years but for the sake of anonymity, I created this new account. Very sure of Heme/Onc down the road. Highly appreciate the help in ranking following IM cateogrical residency programs (currently in order of my gut feeling and Heme/Onc prospects):

1) CCF Ohio (#6 Heme/Onc in the US)
2) SLR (access to MSKCC for 4-5 months in 3 years -> can work with notable Oncologists in their research projects; track record of decent Heme/Onc fellowships)
3) UMass (interested in IM residency research pathway in cancer biology)
4) Albert Einstein, Philadelphia (good track record of Heme/Onc fellowships- many into MD Anderson)
5) Henry Ford (excellent, dedicated clinicians; reputed hospital)
6) Lenox Hill (good reputation in the region; manhattan!)
7) SUNY Upstate (didn't like the city much; decent heme/onc placements)
8) Univ of Louisville
9) Southern Illinois University
10) New York Hospital Queens
11) MetroHealth Hospital/Case Western University
12) St. Elizabeth Medical Center, Boston

8 thru 12 are simply based on the feel on my interview day- have no idea how I can rationalize the order.

Thanks a lot!!!
 
Last edited:
Hello, am an active SDN member (IMG) since a few years but for the sake of anonymity, I created this new account. Very sure of Heme/Onc down the road. Highly appreciate the help in ranking following IM cateogrical residency programs (currently in order of my gut feeling and Heme/Onc prospects):

1) CCF Ohio (#6 Heme/Onc in the US)
2) SLR (access to MSKCC for 4-5 months in 3 years -> can work with notable Oncologists in their research projects; track record of decent Heme/Onc fellowships)
3) UMass (interested in IM residency research pathway in cancer biology)
4) Albert Einstein, Philadelphia (good track record of Heme/Onc fellowships- many into MD Anderson)
5) Henry Ford (excellent, dedicated clinicians; reputed hospital)
6) Lenox Hill (good reputation in the region; manhattan!)
7) SUNY Upstate (didn't like the city much; decent heme/onc placements)
8) Univ of Louisville
9) Southern Illinois University
10) New York Hospital Queens
11) MetroHealth Hospital/Case Western University
12) St. Elizabeth Medical Center, Boston

8 thru 12 are simply based on the feel on my interview day- have no idea how I can rationalize the order.

Thanks a lot!!!

I'd swap UMass and SLR but otherwise leave it alone.
 
I'd swap UMass and SLR but otherwise leave it alone.
Thanks for your suggestion! Any particular reason for the swap? Reputation? My impression was that UMass is a closed environment; people tend to get in-house fellowships, rather than having a chance to go to more reputed fellowship programs.