Forum Members *~*~*~*~Official Pre-Allo Social Thread~*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if it's a sports club?

Depends. Sports can provide great leadership experience.

Members don't see this ad.

And I did not need to study that much. I study like 60 hours a week for med schoo
I am fairly comfortable with Monday through Friday 8-5 and 9-11 if needed, so that is right in the boat of 60 hours a week. If I have to study outside of that then I will, but not a bunch. If that ends with me getting a 210 step and only matching FM in Missoula Montana then meh I am still an MD lol
a LOT of it is rote memorization. There is just so much material that you really don’t have time to explore the intellectual depths of the material. You’d fail because while you were going deep dive into one topic, you’d get super behind on everything else. Literally the struggle every week is just to not fall behind because once that happens,
Not to come off arrogant, and this is GOING to come off arrogant, I read something and i just get it...like, knowing the words and what is what (then memorize part) kinda just...makes my brain click with the concepts, you know? I have never needed to dive more in to a topic because I just get it...not like a photographic memory kind of thing or a genius kind of thing and I know how arrogant this sounds...but I don’t know how to put it other than almost everything I learn...I kinda just get it.
I am having to use my Saturday night to catch up on lectures because I had a couple small appointments on Thursday and fell way behind.
This is something I am legitimately concerned about. Appointments for kids detracting from medical education. Granted, their well being is 100000X as important as mine, but still a concern.
LOVE immunology and path
Immunology was my favorite class ever. Worst grade too in all of undergrad (B-) because it was all of immuno In 3 days alongside field training excercise...but I loved it.
Usually I think, unless it meets the above.
Agreed

View attachment 280892

This was my schedule last week. In pharmacokinetics I and II we did basically an entire pharmacokinetics course in 90 mins. In inflammation and it’s mediators, we literally learned every mediator of inflammation, the physiology of inflammation, and the pathways for arachidonic acid into its various metabolites and their mechanisms in inflammation. In 90 minutes.
That looks and sounds awesome and I am genuinely excited. I am the person who stopped watching nickeodeon at 8 years old in favor of science, history, discovery, and nat geo...like when applicants write “I love learning” as a reason it is mostly a lie, but I like LEGIT LOVE learning. Everything. Whether concepts or names.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeeeah so I don't think I'll have leadership experiences on my app. Maybe I could get some from work but that's about it.

Lol “sneeze”
? Why the " "?
Kids sneezing in your face is awful ( I would wear a mask if I worked with sick infants, bonus points that it protects them from a stray cough/ potential exhaled germs from me). Babies spitting up in your mouth is also pretty gross ( I have a much younger brother).
Baby sneezes in general though ( when it's not in your face) are so cute tho :3 Like their whole body jerks for a teeny "Che!"

? Why the " "?
Kids sneezing in your face is awful ( I would wear a mask if I worked with sick infants, bonus points that it protects them from a stray cough/ potential exhaled germs from me). Babies spitting up in your mouth is also pretty gross ( I have a much younger brother).
Baby sneezes in general though ( when it's not in your face) are so cute tho :3 Like their whole body jerks for a teeny "Che!"
I didn't work with kids in a hospital setting. Kids sneeze regardless of whether they're sick or not.

Reactions: 1 users
I am fairly comfortable with Monday through Friday 8-5 and 9-11 if needed, so that is right in the boat of 60 hours a week. If I have to study outside of that then I will, but not a bunch. If that ends with me getting a 210 step and only matching FM in Missoula Montana then meh I am still an MD lol

That’s doable. That’s about what I do more or less. The weekend before an exam I study more.

Not to come off arrogant, and this is GOING to come off arrogant, I read something and i just get it...like, knowing the words and what is what (then memorize part) kinda just...makes my brain click with the concepts, you know? I have never needed to dive more in to a topic because I just get it...not like a photographic memory kind of thing or a genius kind of thing and I know how arrogant this sounds...but I don’t know how to put it other than almost everything I learn...I kinda just get it.

I get it. I’m the same way. It will help you but there is still an absurd amount of material. If you want to learn it all and ace everything, it is an overwhelming amount of stuff. It helps to have a P=MD attitude and then just try as hard as you’re willing to try. That’s what I did, and I am doing very well so far.

This is something I am legitimately concerned about. Appointments for kids detracting from medical education. Granted, their well being is 100000X as important as mine, but still a concern.

Basically everything that happens during a week day is time taken away from my learning and puts me behind lol.

Immunology was my favorite class ever. Worst grade too in all of undergrad (B-) because it was all of immuno In 3 days alongside field training excercise...but I loved it.

I took it in my grad year. It’s amazing that we are alive.

? Why the " "?
Sneezing IS NOT the worst thing kids can do to your face.

@Matthew9Thirtyfive Is the 60 hours a week including class/learning activities/labs?

Yes. It includes watching lectures and making anki cards, doing my anki reviews and new cards, watching boards and beyond videos and annotating first aid, and all the mandatory labs, small groups, and lectures. It does not include research, interest groups, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
That looks and sounds awesome and I am genuinely excited. I am the person who stopped watching nickeodeon at 8 years old in favor of science, history, discovery, and nat geo...like when applicants write “I love learning” as a reason it is mostly a lie, but I like LEGIT LOVE learning. Everything. Whether concepts or names.

Don’t get me wrong. I am very happy. I am smiling every day all day because I get to do this. But I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t stressful and a lot of stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don’t get me wrong. I am very happy. I am smiling every day all day because I get to do this. But I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t stressful and a lot of stuff.
Did not peg you as this sorta guy! XD

Agreed, what I am looking forward to. Doesn’t mean it is not stressful, as I am sure it is very.

If they spit I wipe their mouth and I let them clean up the spit. This is recommended for autistic kids but I make everybody do it. You spit, you wipe it up.

at work someone posted a sign by the kitchen sink area saying “please no spitting in the sink.” Which only means...people Are SPITTING IN THE SINK???!!!!! :dead:

at work someone posted a sign by the kitchen sink area saying “please no spitting in the sink.” Which only means...people Are SPITTING IN THE SINK???!!!!! :dead:

Your sign reminds me of this sign
Screenshot_2019-09-21-21-24-47(1).png

There have been many similar signs in the building where my lab used to be.

Kinda related: one time I was at a Waffle House and a man had his feet on the wall. A waitress yelled, “Sir, get your feet off the wall! This is not your house; this is the WAFFLE HOUSE!”
You joined sdn on my birthday!

• Wow
? Why the " "?
Call me psychic, but I don’t think you’ll be a pediatrician. I agree with everyone else who said poop/vomit are worse than sneezing.

There have been many similar signs in the building where my lab used to be.

Kinda related: one time I was at a Waffle House and a man had his feet on the wall. A waitress yelled, “Sir, get your feet off the wall! This is not your house; this is the WAFFLE HOUSE!”
Omg your warren pride avatar is everything

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
So, after the **** a couple weeks ago about @Jeremy Bearimy bringing up White Claw, I went ahead and bought one. It is like if an Alcoholic burped into a LaCroix...

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
I'm binge watching a TV series and one of the main characters just died :cryi: . He has a baby on the way too. The sad thing is we found out that he had a baby on the way in the same episode he was killed. The azzhole writer's wrote a kid into the episode they were gonna kill him in to play with viewers emotions!

not cool.gif

• Sad
I'm binge watching a TV series and one of the main characters just died :cryi: . He has a baby on the way too. The sad thing is we found out that he had a baby on the way in the same episode he was killed. The azzhole writer's wrote a kid into the episode they were gonna kill him in to play with viewers emotions!

Seems like lazy writing. That’s about as old a trope as being a day away from retirement and getting killed.

Seems like lazy writing. That’s about as old a trope as being a day away from retirement and getting killed.
He didn't find out about the kid in the episode, the viewers did. They started the new season with a time jump a year after the last season's finale but still :sendoff:. Can't imagine how hard it must be to have a baby a couple weeks after your boyfriend died. The actor had another job opportunity he wanted to pursue so can't be mad at that.

Last edited:
He didn't find out about the kid in the episode, the viewers did. They started the new season with a time jump a year after the last season's finale but still :sendoff:. Can't imagine how hard it must be to have a baby a couple weeks after your boyfriend died. The actor had another job opportunity he wanted to pursue so can't be mad at that.

Yeah still pretty common trope.

I don’t even know what they are. I just wanted to give them a hard time lol.
I don't even know what they taste like :lol:. It's some type of alcoholic beverage that people have become obsessed with. It's so popular they had a shortage the other day.

Besides this thread- pre-allo has been pretty dry. I hope they unban CPM. He was the #1 source of entertainment during the summer.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Besides this thread- pre-allo has been pretty dry. I hope they unban CPM. He was the #1 source of entertainment during the summer.
He was entertaining when he wasn’t mean or talking about drugs.

Reactions: 6 users
They’re like beer but don’t come with the negative side effect of having felt like you just ate a whole loaf of bread.
The only thing it has in common with beer is the ABV. The “whole loaf of bread” thing is what makes beer great *disclaimer - I come from Washington, producer of around 2/3 of the global hops supply and home to the highest breweries per capita, so I might be biased on beers*

The only thing it has in common with beer is the ABV. The “whole loaf of bread” thing is what makes beer great *disclaimer - I come from Washington, producer of around 2/3 of the global hops supply and home to the highest breweries per capita, so I might be biased on beers*
So you're a big Natty light fan is what you're saying?

• Haha
So you're a big Natty light fan is what you're saying?
No, nothing from Budweiser or anheuser-Busch. I don’t drink Bud, Pabst, Sam Adams, Blue Ribbon, Kokanee blah blah blah. I do local craft beers from across the inland northwest (and a few in the Seattle area). in my growler (I tend to have one 64 OZ growler and two 32 OZ growlers in the fridge at a time). I am a big dark brew guy, mostly stouts and porters, and there really isn’t much in the way of mass produced dark beers. At the eastern WA beer fest yesterday, there was this really gnarly porter brewed with count chocula AND jalapeños that was around 12% ABV. It was...interesting...