Ohio State c/o 2016- Attending only.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on choosing a place NStarz. Now for August to just be here already, j/k sorta. I'm gonna enjoy this summer, just hoping the warm weather comes back soon.

Thanks squirrels!! I AM SOOOO EXCITED.

Members don't see this ad.

Totally just applied for VIN :)

Did you look at Waters Edge at all? They seem nice and less expensive.

Members don't see this ad :)
Totally just applied for VIN :)

I applied for VIN maybe two years ago as a pre-vet student and vet hospital shadower when I was trying to figure out how to answer the "What vet issues are we facing in the world today" kind of application questions. And I was shot down.

So now I can reapply! Yay! (It's the little things in life, lol)

What is VIN?

Veterinary Information Network. (vin.com) It's a resource that vets use when they want to discuss issues facing the profession or have difficult cases that they want to bounce off of other vets (via a messageboard). There are also lots of other features as well. Only veterinarians are allowed to use it (and vet students).

Heyy all, I'm going to Columbus this Thursday and Friday to look at the apartments available. Anyone know which ones are already filled? Any insight?
Is there a facebook page already set up?

Heyy all, I'm going to Columbus this Thursday and Friday to look at the apartments available. Anyone know which ones are already filled? Any insight?
Is there a facebook page already set up?

I am not sure what places are already filled. I am still apartment hunting myself :( so I am not sure about insight, lol.
As far as the facebook group, search The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2016 and join us!

Here is the link to our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/364721033544139/

As for what apartments are full or not, I'm not sure, I am gonna be living at Heritage Apartments and they seemed great when I went and looked at apartments. They still have some availabilities I think because I just got a studio a few weeks ago and they said they had both studios and french one bedrooms (the only two I asked about). I've heard Fox and Hounds is full or nearly full and governours square is filling up fast too I think.

Hello all!

If you are not aware, OSU-CVM has an Open House every year. This year it will be held on Saturday, May 19th and we would love to see you there! If there is anyone you know who is pre-vet or might be interested in learning more about OSU CVM, please forward them the link below.

http://vet.osu.edu/AnnualOpenHouse

We will be having several new activities/clubs as well as self-guided tours of the animal hospitals. There will be a Food and Fiber Farm, a painted horse, police dogs and animals from the Columbus Zoo. This would be a great opportunity to explore the veterinary campus and you can meet many of the 1st & 2nd years as well as faculty/staff. The link also has pictures from last year's event so you can an idea of what to expect.

Hope you're enjoying your last few months of 'freedom'! O-H...

Hey guys,

Congrats on being accepted to OSU! Its a great school and great town.

I went to Med School at OSU and graduated this past year. While there, I lived in this building on Highland Ave. It is a 5 min walk to the dental school. I loved it there and miss it like hell. Anyway, the current landlord wants me to help fill my old apartment. The apartment in question is a large 1 bedroom or small 2 bedroom. Rent is $600 a month. Currently there are only graduate students living in the building, so its a very quiet and academic atmosphere. The address is 1441 highland. You can e-mail/ PM for more details. My e-mail is [email protected].

Thanks and go bucks!
-Bobby

Not gonna lie, just did a little happy dance at my desk at work while reading the "Welcome!" email from Dr. Lord. Orientation is 117 days away! :soexcited::soexcited:

Not gonna lie, just did a little happy dance at my desk at work while reading the "Welcome!" email from Dr. Lord. Orientation is 117 days away! :soexcited::soexcited:

Me too! Though I kind of wish it was something more substantial...like "here's the keys to the universe" sort of thing :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Me too! Though I kind of wish it was something more substantial...like "here's the keys to the universe" sort of thing :laugh:

Yeah, I know! Maybe the keys to the universe will be in the next one?!?

She did say more was to come. Would have been nice to have at least a little something new, but hopefully soon. Can't wait for fall!

I just got pulled off the waitlist!! Yeah class of 2016!!! :D

Now to just find somewhere to live...Anyone know where to start? I kind of want to live with other vet students.

CONGRATS! How exciting! Welcome! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

A lot of vet students live ~10 minutes north of campus. Governor's Square, Oltentangy Commons, Fox & Hound, Runaway Bay are some that are popular b/c they allow pets.

I would start your search ASAP b/c a lot of places fill quickly, or might be already full for fall.

Congratulations and welcome to class of 2016 at OSU, we're gonna rock!

I am staying at Heritage Apartments, just 2 miles from campus :D. Not sure if they have anymore openings. The packet they gave out at interviews has a couple pages of apartments recommended by vet students, I'd highly recommend picking one from that list (almost ended up in a scary part of town choosing on my own :eek:). Good luck in your apartment search, hopefully places still have openings.

I'm looking at the Governor's Square and Runaway Bay Apartments, which both have availability. Do you guys know if internet/cable is included with the apartment? I've never bought an apartment by myself before so I'm a bit new :)

I'm looking at the Governor's Square and Runaway Bay Apartments, which both have availability. Do you guys know if internet/cable is included with the apartment? I've never bought an apartment by myself before so I'm a bit new :)

YAY!!! Welcome to OSU! I actually just got my apartment assignment from Runaway Bay. I liked both of those complexes, but found Governor's Square to be a bit smaller for the same price (and Runaway Bay allowed me to get a 2 BR, 2 Bath, whereas Gov's square was only a 2 BR, 1.5 bath. I have a roomie :) ). My cable is separate and I think internet comes with it in the form of a package. Runaway Bay told me both would be around $80/month. Not sure about Governour's Square. HTH!

Hey! I just signed a lease a really nice house at The Lakes of Bethel Park but I want a roommate! The house is beautiful with 3 bedrooms, 3.5 baths, 3 floors and new stainless appliances. There is a pool and a clubhouse too! It's only 4 miles from school and in a nice location. $500 plus utilities. Pets allowed and encouraged! The address is 5414 Victoria Park Ct., Columbus OH 43235. Please contact me if you're interested!

ps. I don't need a copy of your financial aid package for you to sign the lease and live here and share the costs. If you can commit now, contact me and if we are compatible, your search is over. No more stress!

Thanks!

Margaux Dring
[email protected]

Last edited:
Just a question for anyone who might have some input...
I am starting to get a little nervous because I have applied to apartments and am on the waitlist, yet they all say that they will need to wait and see my financial aid package from OSU...although this might not be until late June.
Has anyone else experienced this? It is a little nerve wracking to think I might not get an apartment on time although I've applied and have been waiting. Is this normal?
My boyfriend and myself are not planning to have a cosigner right now.

Violet,
I don't what places you are looking at, but in my experience landlords are willing to wait until June. I just went and toured a place last week and the manager said she needed pay stubs and/or financial aid info when I put my hold on an apartment. I explained that I am only a few hours a week and my paystubs would be very small and that I would not receive my financial aid until the end of June. She was perfectly fine with it. When I told her that I would be a Vet student, she kind of laughed and said that she knew I would be able to pay the monthly rent. Now, I just have to email her the financial aid info when I get it!

I know this may not be the same for you, but I would relax and not worry about it. As long as they know that financial aid includes rent, etc and that you won't have the final amount until June, you should be okay.

I am in the exact same boat right now. She said it would not affect my wait list status, but she seemed to be confused when I was trying to explain that I would be paying in loans and rent would not be an issue.

I am just hoping this doesn't mean I can hold the apartment or be on the waitlist for it. Right now I am on the list but don't know when I should start to get worried and go elsewhere. I was shocked at how early you need to find housing.

Are you applying to multiple places? I am very interested in one apartment i am on the waitlist for, but don't know if I should apply more places just in case.

Also, does anyone have any input about looking a little further out...Craiglist, etc? I know people have warned to be wary of this, but there seem to be much larger and cheaper apartments a little further away. By further, I still mean within a twenty minute drive of the school. Is this a bad idea with traffic?

I am in the exact same boat right now. She said it would not affect my wait list status, but she seemed to be confused when I was trying to explain that I would be paying in loans and rent would not be an issue.

I am just hoping this doesn't mean I can hold the apartment or be on the waitlist for it. Right now I am on the list but don't know when I should start to get worried and go elsewhere. I was shocked at how early you need to find housing.

Are you applying to multiple places? I am very interested in one apartment i am on the waitlist for, but don't know if I should apply more places just in case.

Also, does anyone have any input about looking a little further out...Craiglist, etc? I know people have warned to be wary of this, but there seem to be much larger and cheaper apartments a little further away. By further, I still mean within a twenty minute drive of the school. Is this a bad idea with traffic?

My apartment place also placed me on a waitlist first (I have since gotten assigned an apt) because they weren't aware of how many units they would have for my timetable.

I gave them the numbers from the estimated budget for rent on OSU's page and they were okay with using those. Not sure if that's an option for you, but I would definitely look into it.

I applied, and am on, a waitlist at one of the apartment complexes suggested in the Why OSU booklet. They said that because I'm moving from another city that my current pay doesn't count, so I gave them the financial aid breakdown from last year and they were ok with it.

I would warn about living further out is that traffic can be absolutely horrendous from what I've heard. 315 is notoriously bad, and I've been told that the evening rush hour is worse than the morning. I'm planning on living ~10 minutes away and plan to take city streets to and from every day.But I've also been told that if you give yourself a little extra time then you should be fine. So I guess it just depends??

Yes- I am also moving from out of state and was surprised that my income didn't count at all. It seems that they were okay with the estimated budget breakdown of last year, but I was just worried it wouldn't be official until I got my financial info.
What do you think is a maximum rent amount that is reasonable to pay? I know it will vary for everyone. I will be sharing my rent, and we are looking around the price range that we have been paying at our old apartment. Everyone said Ohio would be much cheaper than New England, but downtown I think the prices are the same or more expensive!

Yes- I am also moving from out of state and was surprised that my income didn't count at all. It seems that they were okay with the estimated budget breakdown of last year, but I was just worried it wouldn't be official until I got my financial info.
What do you think is a maximum rent amount that is reasonable to pay? I know it will vary for everyone. I will be sharing my rent, and we are looking around the price range that we have been paying at our old apartment. Everyone said Ohio would be much cheaper than New England, but downtown I think the prices are the same or more expensive!

All of the current students I've talked to said that the Cost of Attendance is pretty accurate. I specifically asked some current students during the student forum at interviews and they said that they are not struggling financially, but they are still pretty strict with their budgets. Everyone I talked to said they live alone and have no problems.

I'm currently in Cleveland, and I expected Columbus apts to be a little cheaper, and they're actually a little more expensive. But the security deposits and utilities are less than I'm currently paying.

I've heard $600 a month is a decent price for a small apartment if you're living alone.

I'm gonna be staying in a studio just 2 miles from campus (Heritage) and rent is $699 but that includes gas, electric, cable, and internet, so not too bad at all. It is gonna be super tiny, but I don't need much space.

Only 84 more days til August first!

Is anyone familiar with the Worthington Area? It looks like it is not too far off Sawmill Road.
I am looking at a townhome there, it seems really nice but I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on that area.
The place I am looking at is about the same price/cheaper than some of the apartments downtown, but definitely much bigger. I kind of want to go for it, and secure a place to live instead of being on waitlists!
It is very stressful to pick somewhere that I won't be able to visit being from out of state.

Any advice?

I looked at one place in East Worthington and it was cheap, but a little sketchy (and rude/unfriendly staff). And I think Squirrels had similar opinions of a place that was nearby. If you want, I can PM my experience :)

Are you set on living by yourself? It seems there are still quite a few people on the fb group posting about looking for roommates.

Last edited:
Yes, I was going to get an apartment in East Worthington (area code 43229) and it seemed fine when I was there, there were stores nearby and it didn't seem sketchy to me, but I checked out the ratings at apartmentratings.com (I'd highly recommend checking the site out if you're not staying at one recommended by vet students) and :eek:. Drugs, guns, gangs, and to top it off someone was murdered near the dumpster in 2007 :eek:. The ratings were scary and I asked some current first years and the ones that knew the area all said that it wasn't the greatest and east-dublin grandville road near where I was was really bad on the side of the road I was on. Message a current student at OSU if you're unsure about an area, they can either help you or know someone who can. They are great. Jakesmom was able to give me a lot of info, including this website: http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/local/crimetracker10/database.html which has a lot of crime info. Be sure to check the dates on the crimes, when I first compared my east worthington apartment with my one recommended by vet students, they looked the same crimewise, then I checked the dates and Heritage apartments near campus crime dates went back several years and the east worthington apartment crimes were all from within the last 2 months :eek:

I have heard traffic is really bad and if it says 20 minutes (Worthington is about that far according to mapquest) your actually gonna be driving for 45 min. to an hour if traffic is bad, which I guess is most of the time.
http://www.10tv.com/content/sections/local/crimetracker10/database.html

Thanks for the link Squirrels! I just mapped my new place and there was a break in back in 2006, but nothing really recent (which is good!)

Also, I discovered I am closer to RR tracks than I thought. Poo.

Do we need to send in our final transcripts now that finals are ending?

Do we need to send in our final transcripts now that finals are ending?

Hmm, don't know? I know they wanted transcripts at the end of fall semester, but I don't remember hearing anything about spring. Was your acceptance conditional depending on if you passed certain classes? Or maybe call and ask? Or check the Checklist on Buckeyelink and see if you are missing anything.

Last edited:
No, nothing was conditional. Just wasn't sure if everyone was supposed to send their final transcripts. I might just to be sure.

I just got pulled off the waitlist today, so I finally joined SDN! So excited to be a part of OSU's CVM c/o 2016! :D

Well, my roommate and I went apartment shopping a few weeks ago (he will be going to Capital Law School). To be honest, there wasn't a bad place that we visited. We looked at Govorner's Square, The Quarry, Runaway Bay, Water's Edge, Olentangy Commons, and Worthington Meadows. Everywhere was pretty sweet. The Quarry had a ridiculous waitlist, and the Water's Edge was pretty large too. We decided on Runaway Bay, sent our application in, and are currently at the front of the waitlist!

I'm staying at Runaway Bay :D

It was really nice. I just hope we make it off the waitlist. I'm not totally sure about thedog thing, but they had a pond which was awesome. Lol

.Nstarz..
Did you officially get a room? Lake view or not?

It was really nice. I just hope we make it off the waitlist. I'm not totally sure about thedog thing, but they had a pond which was awesome. Lol

.Nstarz..
Did you officially get a room? Lake view or not?

Yep--my roomie and I are officially assigned a room! We got a lake view.

Anyone else get their big sib? I got mine :soexcited:. Mine is someone I've already chatted with and is staying in the same apartment complex as me, will be so nice when I have those last minute freak out moment questions before school starts in August, she won't be far away :).

I got mine too! She's a non-trad like me :) She was actually my tour guide from my interview day (of which I pulled her aside and asked her lots of non-trad-like questions).

Every step makes it a little more real!

No big sib for me yet :( BOOOO!!

Give it time NStarz, your big sib is probably super busy studying and wants to be able to chat once they introduce themselves. Mine sent the hi I'm your big sib and said to feel free to ask questions and that but she might not get to them til after finals.

Only 76 more days til orientation :thumbup:. I'm finishing up gathering all my stuff for my apartment and am getting really really excited about going to Columbus!