Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To everyone that had Feb 5th, 6th and 7th interviews...the word is we will not be getting calls or letters until at least the end of the week. This is the same thing I have been told the last 2 weeks so it is entirely possible we won't hear anything until after the March interviews are done...

Is this wait driving anyone else crazy?

This seems to be the theme this cycle, I wonder if anything has changed with their process. Do they still tell the interviewees it will be two weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

They told me anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks.

I just called Sarah and she said they will hopefully be making the calls for the Feb 6-8th group next week. Longest 5 weeks ever...

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I meant the Feb 5th-7th group.

Does anyone have any opinions as to why they would not be making the calls yet? I was told the decisions were made almost 2 weeks ago but illnesses kept the calls from going out. Next week there is another group of interviews and the following week is Spring Break. That makes me think it will be after the break before anyone else gets a call or letter. It just seems cruel to have made the decisions but be holding off on the calls unless they plan on reversing them or something. It would be so much easier to survive the wait if they just said it would be after the last round of interviews, etc. instead of 'hopefully by the end of the week'.

That's so weird. The decisions are made so all it takes is a two minute phone call to the accepted applicants and overnighting a packet--hypothetically. I was hoping to see some acceptances when this thread was bumped. Perhaps Sarah would be amenable to bribes to just tell you lol

I spoke with a professor that is one of the interviewers about my situation and they said 'no news is good news'. That is the 2nd interviewer/professor at OSU that has used that exact phrase, so that is encouraging. The professor also told me that it was weird we have not heard anything because the decisions have been made and also said that the decisions will not be reversed or influenced at all by the other interviews next week. They said that the reason is probably not that nuanced at all but that it could be as small as the person responsible for signing off on the admission committee's decisions could have been out the last week and a half because of the flu. It sounded like they were trying to tell me that was the actual reason without just coming out and saying it. I thought I would share what I found out with those that were curious.

Last edited:
Maybe the waitlist letters were sent when the decisions were made and those people know already, and the accepted students are the ones that haven't been notified because of the signing off part. Eh, that's the optimistic way to look at it for those who haven't heard back. It does seem kind of cruel though.

I was in the Feb 5-7 interview pool. Just got a notification email from Sarah that I had been waitlisted.

I've read through this thread, but am still a bit nervous despite the apparently high percentage of waitlisted people that are eventually accepted. Does anyone know if there is any way to determine relative positioning on the waitlist? Also, what is a rough estimate of time spent on the waitlist?

I just got the wait list notification as well. I'm a part of the 19th-21st interview pool. The waiting game goes on. But yes, of anyone could share their experience /knowledge of being wait listed please do!

I just got my wait list notification as well. The other graduate students at OSU-CHS that interviewed our week were also wait-listed (4 total). We were wondering if they just wait listed our entire group because they were tired of our calls and e-mails lol.

I don't think there is a relative positioning of the wait list. I think the way it works is every wait-listed candidate is re-considered when an opening is available. I could be wrong, but that is how I understood it. In terms of how long people have been on the wait-list it can be long and short. I have heard of people being taken off the wait lists a week or two before enrollment but I have also heard people only being on the wait list for 2 weeks.

I know several of the students at OSU-CHS that post on here were accepted off the wait list. Most of the D.O./M.S. students that I know were wait-listed for a month or two before being accepted.

There is only one more round of interviews next week and the following week is Spring Break. I would think that after the break they will probably take at least 2 weeks to make decisions on the lats round of interviews. After that, I imagine they will be able to start accepting from the wait list. Is OU done with their interviews? If not, does anyone know when they wrap up or a rough timeframe that they send out their last round of acceptances? I would imagine once OU sends out their offers there will be quite a few spots that open up for those that are wait-listed.

Apollo13 is correct about the wait list. It's not ranked, all candidates are considered equally for an open spot. Time spent on the wait list can vary greatly. I wasn't accepted until the summer, and I've heard of a person being accepted during orientation week.

Things must be abnormally busy in the admissions office the last month, I've never heard of them emailing a wait list notification. Apollo might be onto something suggesting they just waitlisted everyone--it seems odd to me that none of the 4 CHS grad students were accepted, nor the other posters on SDN. Either way, all hope is not lost.

I interviewed on February 6th, was accepted today. Got the phone call around noon. So excited to go to med school here next year! I never received a letter or an email indicating that I was wait listed, so this may indicate that there are still spots available? no idea. Good luck everyone still waiting to hear back!

I interviewed on February 6th, was accepted today. Got the phone call around noon. So excited to go to med school here next year! I never received a letter or an email indicating that I was wait listed, so this may indicate that there are still spots available? no idea. Good luck everyone still waiting to hear back!
Congrats! I see you were also accepted to North Dakota, are you in-state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! I guess they did end up sending out acceptances from our group after all. Does anyone know how many people are signed up on the official Facebook page? I'm trying to figure out how many spots are left for them to take from the wait list but don't have a Facebook account.

Congratulations! I guess they did end up sending out acceptances from our group after all. Does anyone know how many people are signed up on the official Facebook page? I'm trying to figure out how many spots are left for them to take from the wait list but don't have a Facebook account.
It was 72 as of yesterday, and a couple of those are current med students.

I know the wait list isn't fun. Keep in contact with the admissions office and keep doing your ECs. Not much else you can do.

So I am currently on the wait list, I have been for awhile. Is being on it for a couple months a bad sign? Also I was wondering if anyone had an idea if most of the wait list ends up getting accepted or if its a pretty even number of those who are accepted and those who aren't?

So I am currently on the wait list, I have been for awhile. Is being on it for a couple months a bad sign? Also I was wondering if anyone had an idea if most of the wait list ends up getting accepted or if its a pretty even number of those who are accepted and those who aren't?
I wouldn't take it as a bad sign. If they didn't like you, you would have already received a rejection letter. I don't know how many people are on the wait list but the figure I've always heard is that about half of the students were on the wait list at some point. I think sometime in May or June they cut it down to a final waitlist.

I interview on this last Thursday the 13th. I felt my interview was all about me being a good fit for the school as well as the school fitting me. Now for the 2-3 week waiting and anticipation.

The suspense is killing me. Interviewed in the Feb 5-7 group, waitlisted after a 4 week wait, and nothing heard in that time frame. I've sent in a letter of intent already.

Has anyone heard of any movement on the waitlist recently?

Does anyone think it is acceptable to also send in an updated activity letter?

Would it be OK to call Sarah or Lindsey and ask what I could do to improve my application?

I feel like I've bothered them enough and don't want to pester them anymore than I have to! (They're both awesome people!)

Stats:
MCAT: 31O
sGPA: 3.40
cGPA: 3.33

Last edited:
The suspense is killing me. Interviewed in the Feb 5-7 group, waitlisted after a 4 week wait, and nothing heard in that time frame. I've sent in a letter of intent already.

Has anyone heard of any movement on the waitlist recently?

Does anyone think it is acceptable to also send in an updated activity letter?

Would it be OK to call Sarah or Lindsey and ask what I could do to improve my application?

I feel like I've bothered them enough and don't want to pester them anymore than I have to! (They're both awesome people!)

Stats:
MCAT: 31O
sGPA: 3.40
cGPA: 3.33

By updated activity letter, I assume you mean something like more EC/volunteer hours since you interviewed? If so, go ahead and update them but calling or emailing is also acceptable so they can add that info to your file.

I wouldn't worry much about bothering them, as long as you have legitimate questions/concerns. Like you said, Lindsey, Sarah, and Maghin are all great to deal with. That's not to say you should call every day though, lol.

And although I haven't heard of recent waitlist activity, I think there is usually a little uptick in movement in the next couple of months when many other schools have decision deadlines.

I know waiting is the hardest part. Keep in contact with the admissions office and don't give up hope.

I had not thought about sending in a letter of intent-that is a good idea. How long would an appropriate letter of intent be? I imagine it doesn't need to be overly wordy and being straight and to the point would be fine- basically just making it clear that you are a sure thing for the school if offered a position, correct?

What are your all's opinions on contacting the people that gave me my interview? I have read that it is recommended to contact your interviewers to discuss your high/low points and really get them to advocate for you to the admissions committee. This advice tended to be on M.D. specific websites and I didn't know if the protocol was different with this school or not. Would it be wise to contact the interviewers?

Regarding letters of intent, I'm sure it varies by school but according to Goro (an adcom member on the main forums, if you don't look at those) they have no effect on decisions. So if you do send one I'd make it short and sweet...I can't imagine it hurting one's chances.

@Apollo13 That sounds like something that is school-dependent. For OSU, I don't know how involved in the process interviewers are after the actual interview. I can't remember if, while still on the waitlist, Lindsey can tell you what was a low point your interviewers made a remark about. You can get that info after a rejection, but I can't remember about while on the waitlist. You may want to ask about that if you think it would help.

So has anyone heard if there has been any movement off the waitlist yet this month?

So has anyone heard if there has been any movement off the waitlist yet this month?
I haven't heard of any but I really hope there's some movement here soon. I want in so bad!!

Reactions: 1 user
Dear Applicant:

The faculty and administration of the Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences and College of Osteopathic Medicine sincerely appreciates your interest in becoming a medical student within the entering class of 2014.

Each year, the competition is keen, and we regret more positions are not available to interested applicants. The Student Selection Committee has reviewed all applications submitted, and we must regrettably inform you we will not be able to offer you a position in the upcoming class.

Again, we appreciate your interest in the Oklahoma State University Center for Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine. Should you have any questions or if we may be of assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions at 918-561-8324.

Best wishes in pursuit of your goals.

8fc1ca3c719455b43670ca7dd37387a25605baf19b094da17b305685cd0f02ca.jpg

lol At least you've got a sense of humor about it. Do you know where you'll be attending?

Also, did they email this to you?

Yeah, I got to interview at my top 3 schools. I was WLed at 2 and accepted at one so I'm happy with the way this cycle turned out.

I knew I probably wouldn't get an interview since I have absolutely no ties to OK but it was worth a shot. I feel like I made a small donation to the school with my secondary.

It's a great school and I wish you guys all the best!

It was through email about 2-3 hours ago.

Yeah, I got to interview at my top 3 schools. I was WLed at 2 and accepted at one so I'm happy with the way this cycle turned out.

I knew I probably wouldn't get an interview since I have absolutely no ties to OK but it was worth a shot. It's a great school and I wish you guys all the best!
Did you just get that email today?
Also love the sense of humor!

I knew I probably wouldn't get an interview since I have absolutely no ties to OK but it was worth a shot. I feel like I made a small donation to the school with my secondary.

It's a great school and I wish you guys all the best!

It was through email about 2-3 hours ago.

Did you get this email after being put on the waitlist for a while or did they straight up reject you after you interviewed?

Did you get this email after being put on the waitlist for a while or did they straight up reject you after you interviewed?

I'm sorry I should have mentioned that I didn't get an interview. I was complete way back in September and didn't hear anything until this morning.

I just got the email too though I had called to withdraw after my first choice accepted me. Good thing I didn't spend a penny thanks to the fee waiver.

Just spoke with Sarah. She said that decisions towards another round of acceptances and finalizing the waitlist were made last week, but that correspondence had not gone out yet.

So fingers crossed!

I interviewed March 12th and this week will be 4 weeks of not hearing anything. I hope to hear sometime this week!

Just spoke with Sarah. She said that decisions towards another round of acceptances and finalizing the waitlist were made last week, but that correspondence had not gone out yet.

So fingers crossed!
This is scary! If we get accepted will we hear through mail?

This is scary! If we get accepted will we hear through mail?
If you get accepted, you will receive a phone call from Dr. Stewart and then a UPS the next day. If you make the final waitlist, you will receive an email notifying you (at least that's my experience). I'm not really sure about those who are on the waitlist that did not get on the final waitlist.

So fingers crossed!
Did Sarah happen to mention when we will be notified?

Hey guys I just wanted to say that I just rescinded my acceptance from OSU and wish you all the best on getting the position. On a hopeful note, the last day that the acceptance deposit is refundable is on the 15th on April, so I know that people are starting to pull out while they can get their money back. Here's to hoping we are all colleagues in the future!

Hey guys I just wanted to say that I just rescinded my acceptance from OSU and wish you all the best on getting the position. On a hopeful note, the last day that the acceptance deposit is refundable is on the 15th on April, so I know that people are starting to pull out while they can get their money back. Here's to hoping we are all colleagues in the future!
Too bad you won't be joining us. Best of luck to you wherever you end up!

I just heard from a fellow OSU graduate student that he and another grad student got their acceptance calls today around 2:30. I still haven't heard anything but I am hoping they make more calls Thursday and Friday. Anyone else hear anything today?

I just heard from a fellow OSU graduate student that he and another grad student got their acceptance calls today around 2:30. I still haven't heard anything but I am hoping they make more calls Thursday and Friday. Anyone else hear anything today?
Do you know when his interview was?

His interview was Feb 6th and the other OSU grad student accepted interviewed the same day as me, Feb 7th.

In case anyone was wondering, I spoke with Sarah about 30 minutes ago and she said all the decisions for this round were sent out yesterday and it would be next month before more notifications went out.

I emailed her and asked her when we would know about any decisions because I interviewed in March and still haven't heard. She just sent me that I will get a letter via regular mail next week at the latest wednesday. What does this mean? I thought we would find out on email?

After an interview you get one of three things (usually): acceptance phone call, waitlist letter, or invitation to re-apply letter. Letters are snail mail.
If you are wait listed it will tell you that further correspondence will be via email....I have heard it both ways though.