Penn vs Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NNukibw77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So so tough.

Members don't see this ad.

Not as tough as Carribean vs. regular job.

I am waitlisted at both, would pick Penn just based on the city

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, location + dual degree opportunities = Penn.

same boat, for MSTP--not really sure how this is going to end up.

Pick Hopkins so I can take your spot at Penn? :)

But seriously, I think Philly is a superior city to Baltimore by far. I didn't apply to JHU...but I've worked at both HUP and JHH and Johns Hopkins is a better hospital. It's just awesome...end of story. Can't be beat. JHU has a new medical school building I think? Penn's medical school shares a campus with the undergrad school and all the graduate programs...JHH is separate from JHU main campus. Personally, I'd choose Penn, but its your call. If you're at all interested in pediatrics I'd also pick Penn for it's affiliation with CHOP...best pediatric center in the US and also the place that signs my paychecks.

for MSTP, id look at the kind of research you wanna do and go accordingly.

city terms, philly is more fun. theres just something about the students at penn as well. even undergrad there, everyone is SO happy. ive always heard this school referred to as the "fun ivy"

also the finances could swing you easily. penn gives those scholarships which could be the deal breaker

I am actually in the same boat (if I get into Hopkins in late April). I think that I like everything about Hopkins better except the location, but location is a huge factor. Plus my sister actually goes to dental school at Penn (dental school chicks are surprisingly hot). Decisions decisions. :confused:

speaking of not-so-awesome-cities...im currently debating hopkins vs yale...thoughts?

speaking of not-so-awesome-cities...im currently debating hopkins vs yale...thoughts?

hm tough. im assuming you're fine with the yale grading system.

ive never been to new haven but from what i hear, i think baltimore is probably better. not really sure how much there is to do in new haven. Baltimore has stuff here and there, but can be really expensive (most places in the inner harbor are pretty pricey). if you can give me a sense of new haven, i can compare it with bmore

hm tough. im assuming you're fine with the yale grading system.

ive never been to new haven but from what i hear, i think baltimore is probably better. not really sure how much there is to do in new haven. Baltimore has stuff here and there, but can be really expensive (most places in the inner harbor are pretty pricey). if you can give me a sense of new haven, i can compare it with bmore

the part of new haven immediately around yale is sort of college-towny...lots of little cafes, some bars, coffee shops. also yales campus is pretty big so it covers a lot of space. im guessing most students dont venture too far out into new haven, but i could be wrong. the plus side to new haven for me is that most of my friends live in new england, and the train system there is great (40mins or so to nyc, 2 hours to boston) so id be able to get around and see people.

i really don't know what to do though....im hoping financial aid packages might make this decision easier.

the part of new haven immediately around yale is sort of college-towny...lots of little cafes, some bars, coffee shops. also yales campus is pretty big so it covers a lot of space. im guessing most students dont venture too far out into new haven, but i could be wrong. the plus side to new haven for me is that most of my friends live in new england, and the train system there is great (40mins or so to nyc, 2 hours to boston) so id be able to get around and see people.

i really don't know what to do though....im hoping financial aid packages might make this decision easier.

well i can tell you the area surrounding jhmi is pretty ghetto. not much around, although there is a market you can get food from (gets kind of tiring and isnt too healthy). to really enjoy baltimore, you need a car imo. city has lots of bars/restaurants, but tons of the restaurants are pretty pricey and the bars are full of weird locals (no college students around other than jhu students).

bmore is very close to both philly and DC. easy to get to by train, but again, expensive. its kind of a toss up, but i guess id go with new haven if its more college-towny. thats just me though. i suppose i just flopped but i dont know new haven at all.

if you have any specific questions about bmore or hopkins, feel free to pm me. i can give you a non-sugar coated honest opinion, something hard to get from current med students!

Wow. What about the full tuition scholarship to Sinai?

oh wow thats nuts. id take that and run. living in NYC with spending money!

so hard to turn down the prestige though.

yeah. that too. in all honesty i was set to withdraw from sinai before the $$ offer, im definitely not in love with the place (but i certainly didn't hate it either)....like i said, i have no idea what to do.

yeah. that too. in all honesty i was set to withdraw from sinai before the $$ offer, im definitely not in love with the place (but i certainly didn't hate it either)....like i said, i have no idea what to do.

not sure what you will need to take out in loans. if it ends up being significant, i think 10 years down the road you would probably thank yourself for taking the full-ride. at least thats how i think

Status
Not open for further replies.