This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone have any updated information on mount sinai st luke's roosevelt? Most of the information in the forums is a couple of years old, from the days when it was affiliated with columbia. I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any input on these programs? I am undecided about fellowship at this point but could definitely see myself doing one down the road. Also curious to others' opinions on how they would rank these programs based on prestige/how good of IM programs they are. I am especially confused about Cleveland Clinic and Dartmouth - I have tried doing my research, on SDN included, but am having a hard time gaging whether these are good programs or not. Thank you!

-Mayo in Rochester
-Rush
-UPMC
-U of Iowa
-Baylor
-Loyola
-Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland
-Dartmouth
-U of Minnesota
-U of Cincinnati
-U of Indiana

Heard negative things about Loyola, it's pretty scut heavy based on what a med student who did a subI there told me. Large class.

U of Cincinnati I liked a lot. Seemed like PD was really commited to making things better in program and resident feedback. Cin is a WAAY cooler city than you might expect from a state like Ohio. Some of my best friends are doing IM there.

U of Indiana I also had quite a positive opinion of, nothing specific just interview gut feel and I know rep is that's it's a non-descript but solid program. Indianaoplis is starting to catch on food culture-wise.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have any insight on these 2 Baltimore programs:

Sinai Hospital of Baltimore
MedStar Franklin Square/Union Memorial/Good Samaritan

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
indiana is not "non-descript". It is one of the better university based programs in the midwest, with solid clinical training, with a better rep than u of cinn. saying this as someone with no affiliation to IU

indiana is not "non-descript". It is one of the better university based programs in the midwest, with solid clinical training, with a better rep than u of cinn. saying this as someone with no affiliation to IU

I did not directly compare IU to U of Cinn

a "good" or "solid" uni program in the midwest (but not Mayo or the like) is by definition non-descript compared to the same on the coasts
sorry. I'm basing non-descript on not just my perceptions but that of.. well, anyone I talk to.

midwest = non-descript in the minds of everyone not in or familiar with the midwest... which unfortunately most of the US population as is the case in most countries is coastally clustered, so bascially most of the US population

This is not meant as a slam... in fact, I encourage people to use this to their advantage. Hidden jewels in the cornfields. While all your douchey friends are trying to match to a county program in LA and yakking about the club scene (don't even ask yes I heard this on the trail) that they'll never have time for, you can apply and be courted by solid non-descript uni program in the Midwest, match with ease with the down home crew, there will be everything you need from work and everything you might otherwise miss outside of work you won't have time for so it won't matter.

Anywhere you go where you or someone else has to put away the ego is going to make your life easier. Trust me on this.

Anyone have UVA's fellowship match from last year? Or interview day impressions?

How is Rosalind Franklin up in Chicago? I just got an offer for an IV from them.

Unless you're an IMG, probably not the best residency to take. If you are, solid training. The residency program isn't in Chicago; it's about an hour north in Waukegan, IL.

I'm an IMG, so I'd have to take it ;).

Members don't see this ad :)
@aafisahar thanks for the inside scoop! How many of those have you been at/ care to share which ones? Also any specific insight into specific specialties better at each of the places? I know GT is great for GI, MUSC for cards.... I like a lot of specialties right now but probably heme/onc is my favorite at the moment.

Thanks so much for the replies

Last edited:
@aafisahar thanks for the inside scoop! How many of those have you been at/ care to share which ones? Also any specific insight into specific specialties better at each of the places? I know GT is great for GI, MUSC for cards.... I like a lot of specialties right now but probably heme/onc is my favorite at the moment.

Thanks so much for the replies
Hey, so I've interviewed at osu, uminn, Brown, vcu from that list. For h/o, I felt osu was the strongest because of their fancy cancer center and the fact that they are the major referral center for a 100 mile radius. UMinn isn't too far behind either, but Mayo does cannibalize a fair amount. For cards, osu and UMinn had a more diverse match list, but Brown had more impressive matches even though lots of people stayed at Brown. Didn't really pay attention to GI, sorry.

They are all pretty great programs and to be honest, it's more about what you are looking for. I just finished an interview at a top 10 program that I'm probably not going to rank in my top 5 because you can get fairly equivalent training without killing yourself and being thrust into a crazy competitive environment. Internal medicine training is pretty similar across the board and if you're at a major referral center, you'll see the vast majority of pathology you need to see in order to be well trained.

That said, the resources this program had dwarf anything I've seen before by far and if you have a desire to laser focus your career, you can hardly do better than this program.

Laughing at the discussion about Roslind-Franklin/Chicago Medical/Whatever they're calling it now. No, North Chicago is not in or even particularly close to Chicago. The difference between Chicago itself and the growing amorphous blob we call "Chicagoland" is a big distinction to city folks.

For those of you who are finding this a "frustrating" process... the reason programs aren't distinguishing themselves is that - in general terms - U.S. IM residencies, especially in the world of academia, tend to be more similar than they are different. Have fun with this!

Anyone know about St Mary's in San Francisco? There website doesn't even work, and it seems like last year they only filled one of their spots?
Feel like I wasted money applying there.

Can anyone please comment on Columbia's program with regards to strengths/weaknesses/resident life/camaderie/support. Much appreciated. Thank You!

Can anyone please comment on Columbia's program with regards to strengths/weaknesses/resident life/camaderie/support. Much appreciated. Thank You!

Based on discussion with a student there, it's a trial by fire / volume based learning environment with little nursing support and not much desire to improve because the admin thinks the program is great where it's at.

n = 1 for that insight though

Midtier applicant here, can anyone speak to training/experience at nslij?

I got a sense on interview day that the program was growing, patients ranged from poor(Queens) to rich(Long Island). Edit: Im under the impression that system plans to have transplant medicine in future, not sure how much of reality that is.

Was nervous about match list but residents told me that they were interviewing at great places and that many people from the class choose to stay in house for money and because many of them started families and liked the location.

If any current residents can help that would be appreciated (pm or post)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Laughing at the discussion about Roslind-Franklin/Chicago Medical/Whatever they're calling it now. No, North Chicago is not in or even particularly close to Chicago. The difference between Chicago itself and the growing amorphous blob we call "Chicagoland" is a big distinction to city folks.

For those of you who are finding this a "frustrating" process... the reason programs aren't distinguishing themselves is that - in general terms - U.S. IM residencies, especially in the world of academia, tend to be more similar than they are different. Have fun with this!

Lol, how is Rosalind-Franklin anyways? SDN seems pretty down on the program but how is it really? I thought I'd get some background info before my IV there next week.

Most important to me: friendly/warm program w/minimal egos, sharp/hard-working/chill co-residents, primarily resident-driven services, fellowship match possibly to GI (but maybe Card or ID)

Rank pls: Stanford, NW, UofChicago, UNC, UVA, UWashington, UWisconsin, Vandy, Baylor, Yale, BIDMC, UCLA, UMichigan, Duke, UCSD, Wash U

Thanks!
Ugh, I don't know, you're gonna have a tough time matching well into GI from any of those.

....sorry. Couldn't help it.

@gutonc can you please start the help me rank megathread already so there can be one thread where we can gather all these ranking questions so we can ignore them?

Trying to find out more about Brown vs Tufts. Any insight?

Last edited:
St Marys in San Francisco is it mainly DO/Carib/FMGs ?

And if someone could please respond, I would love to give up my interview spot to someone.

Last edited:
Any opinions on UMass Medical Center. I have seen older opinions but none in the past 5 years. Thanks

Does anyone have Emorys fellowship match list? Can't seem to find it anywhere!

Thanks

Does anyone have info about Woodhull Hospital or Flushing Hospital? I can't seem to find much info anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Anybody have updates on cedars Sinai in LA? I know of old reputation of being Cush. Wondering about their teaching, autonomy, and how well trained one would be after completing a residency there.

Anybody who interviewed there this season mind commenting on their experience and how they felt about the program ?

Anyone know what transplants UChicago does? I know liver and BMT, do they also do heart and lungs?

Anyone know what transplants UChicago does? I know liver and BMT, do they also do heart and lungs?

They do (I think) the most hearts in Chicago, and 20-30 lungs a year. They will also do combined transplants (heart-liver, heart-kidney).

Hi.
Any opinions on the IM residency program at Mount Auburn Hospital, Cambridge vs Baystate Medical Center, Springfield?
Thanks.

Any strong feelings about Wake from those who have interviewed there? I have mid-teen interviews and, because I am fatigued and broke, I am strongly considering dropping that interview. I haven't been there so of course my opinion could change, but based on where I have interviewed and my feelings for those programs, I can't see Wake cracking my top 10.

Any input on the IM program at Baystate Medical Center, Springfield MA?

Not necessarily. But if you're sitting under 12 or so interviews at this point, might as well take it.
Why 12 specifically? Is that the statistical number of interviews needed to match this year?

Anybody have updates on cedars Sinai in LA? I know of old reputation of being Cush. Wondering about their teaching, autonomy, and how well trained one would be after completing a residency there.

Anybody who interviewed there this season mind commenting on their experience and how they felt about the program ?

I too, would like this answered if anyone has any input. Also was wondering about Montefiore. I really enjoyed my experience there and am really looking to rank it highly but heard horror stories of 6am-11pm shifts being the norm (any current residents able to comment?)

I too, would like this answered if anyone has any input. Also was wondering about Montefiore. I really enjoyed my experience there and am really looking to rank it highly but heard horror stories of 6am-11pm shifts being the norm (any current residents able to comment?)

Current monte resident. Floor schedule is 7-5 alternating with 7-8. There is no pre rounding before 7. Some people on their own decide to come in earlier but that is by far not the norm. Also on their own people on occasion stay later than 5 on a short day or 8pm on a long day but the vast majority of interns and nearly all residents get out by those times. Monte has a unique floor schedule which means that you work more nights than most other programs esp intern year but there is no "night float" and many residents (not me lol) actually like the nights because you get Saturday morning-Monday night off during those weeks, as opposed to only having one day off a week when you're on days. PM me if you have any more questions

Reactions: 2 users
Monte has a unique floor schedule which means that you work more nights than most other programs esp intern year but there is no "night float" and many residents (not me lol) actually like the nights because you get Saturday morning-Monday night off during those weeks, as opposed to only having one day off a week when you're on days.
Can you explain what you mean by this? You do a lot of nights, but there's no night float. I don't understand that.

Can you explain what you mean by this? You do a lot of nights, but there's no night float. I don't understand that.

I should have been more specific. By night float I meant no cross covering. When you're on nights you generally cover and admit to only one team. There are roughly 16 patients per team and as an intern you can admit up to 4 new patients