This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bump

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. I am a third year who is interested in both of these programs. I was curious how people perceived these two programs currently? Thanks for your answers

Members don't see this ad.

Bump

Sorry for bringing back an old thread. I am a third year who is interested in both of these programs. I was curious how people perceived these two programs currently? Thanks for your answers

Like this guy.

From someone who isn't in the South, I think both are similar. When good candidate outside the South apply for residency, I most often hear of Duke followed by Emory/Vandy.

You don't have to make any choices right now. If you get interviews, interview at both.

The reputations (and probably overall training) are similar. However how the hospitals are set up is a major difference. At UAB everything is centralized so one never has to leave the hospital. At Emory one has to drive from place to place, or so I've been told.

Members don't see this ad :)
People might perceive Emory as bit more prestigious than UAB; however, both are big powerhouses and can't go wrong training in either. However, Atlanta offers much more than Birmingham.

It depends on the city. Both are excellent programs for sure. Birmingham metro is like 1.2 million, not too big and not too small which equals cheap housing and less traffic. Atlanta is known for its traffic, and you would have to drive around a lot. UAB has the VA right next to the main hospital. Atlanta is <2 hours from Birmingham and Nashville is <3 hours away. I loved UAB - apply and see what happens and have fun traveling for interviews. Lots to do in either city.

Last edited:
Personally, I think UAB for IM, Emory for Cards.

Does anyone have any insight about UF Jacksonville as far as avg Step Scores and how competitive the IM program is there?

Anyone know anything about the University of Nebraska Medical Center internal medicine residency program?

Last edited:
Doing my research for applying, and trying to see if anyone can recommend a good prog. in the south or southwest USA. I am from the midwest, but would like to move. My stats are basically average.

Doing my research for applying, and trying to see if anyone can recommend a good prog. in the south or southwest USA. I am from the midwest, but would like to move. My stats are basically average.
I figured you'd get the hint after I moved your last thread.

But since you didn't...there's a whole (currently 25 page, >1200 post) thread just for asking these kinds of questions. In fact, I bet if you spent 10 minutes in here, you'd find answers to the questions you've already asked.

But since you didn't...there's a whole (currently 25 page, >1200 post) thread just for asking these kinds of questions. In fact, I bet if you spent 10 minutes in here, you'd find answers to the questions you've already asked.
Have you lost your passion for this work? ;)
Do you ever feel like you're caught in a time loop?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know anything about the University of Nebraska Medical Center internal medicine residency program?

I interviewed there this last cycle, and I was surprised with how much I liked their program. Not the same reputation-wise as some of the other midwestern schools (Iowa, OSU, Indiana, Wisconsin, etc...), but still a solid program. I definitely got the impression that their program was very close knit, the residents loved the program, and that administration was receptive to any/all concerns. Their PD has been there for a long time (not as long as Vogelman at UW Madison, but pretty close if I remember correctly).

Their fellowship match was mostly in house, which was a slight concern for me. They still made it up into the top half of my ROL though, and I'm sure I would have been happy had I matched there.

Reactions: 1 users
So apparently this place recently became a 'university' IM program with a new Dell medical school starting this June and new faculty (mostly from SF). Any thoughts, experiences or views about the strength/promise of this program compared to the other UT programs? Also, how competitive is this place in terms of fellowship match?

i interviewed there years ago. It was "university" in name. Really a community program, but a good one. My only con at the time was publications. They did not publish much and when i brought it up at my interview, they talked about posters. Also, while everybody was transitioning to EMR they were still using paper charts (hopefully that has changed). Looking, back I am not sure. I had a few friends that went their and all of them matched (N=3) into the specialty they applied for.

Pros: you live in Austin, tx

Cons: you have to live in a place that is not Austin, tx

Fully EMR. The program has been around since 1972, and was "community" until UTMB/then UTSW came ten years-ago and made it more academic. UT-Austin Dell residencies started two years-ago. Spots are competitive, you're in Austin-- but so far medical school pedigree hasn't mattered. Probably the least angry medical staff you'll ever be around, only Maxwell raises his voice, then rarely. PD Miller is well liked. Generally, IM staff is experienced: Huth, Douglass, Salib, several others, are really good. Wealthy program, new hospital; pathology is varied, but not overly complex (this ain't Baltimore); resident run outpatient clinic.

Last edited:
Any idea on the specific EMRs used at uams (arkansas) and scott&white?

If that's going to influence whether or not you apply to them, you're doing it wrong.
Haha no I'm planning on doing some 4th year rotations there, so I just wanted to get acquainted beforehand if possible

How are you going to get acquainted with an EMR you don't have access to already?
Was planning to search online for emr orientation videos. Found some for cerner and others but no cigar on epic.

My whole reason for asking was so that I wouldn't waste time the first couple of days on a new rotation fiddling around with the basics of using a different emr system.

Was planning to search online for emr orientation videos. Found some for cerner and others but no cigar on epic.

My whole reason for asking was so that I wouldn't waste time the first couple of days on a new rotation fiddling around with the basics of using a different emr system.
Cerner is trash. Epic is easy to use if you were born after 1975.

Reactions: 1 user
EMR should take at most 1-2 days to learn at least the basics. it really isnt that hard unless your computer illiterate

Every in house EMR is slightly different even within the same EMR structure (EPIC, Cerner, etc) so it probably will make no difference if you YouTube it before or not. Also EPIC has its own training thing usually as part of the orientation.

I'd like to know if after becoming UT Austin/Dell Medical School, does this program become comparable to the the other UTs (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio)? How easy will it be to get a cards or a GI fellowship after residency here, provided they don't (yet) have their own fellowships.

I'd like to know if after becoming UT Austin/Dell Medical School, does this program become comparable to the the other UTs (Houston, Dallas, San Antonio)? How easy will it be to get a cards or a GI fellowship after residency here, provided they don't (yet) have their own fellowships.

I think it will take some time before the program will start getting traction and turning itself from what is a community based program that is predominantly FMG into more of a competitive traditional program comparable to some of the other UT programs. Places like UTSW have been around for decades and to build that reputation as a top tier training program requires the time to establish research/faculty etc etc. I know the medical school itself will be competitive to get into since the location is highly sought after.

Does anyone go to one of these programs? I was hoping to ask a couple questions about them, but can't find any information on these forums that are recent. If you don't want to respond in the thread, would you mind messaging me?

Does anybody know anything about this special Baylor/MDA combined IM program? Sounds like the program is to train you to be a hospitalist for cancer patients. But, would they welcome people intending on a heme/onc fellowship? Would you have any inside track to getting a fellowship at MDA?

Thanks!

Commenting since I'm interested in the answer

Why not just email the program and ask? Seems like an easier way to get a definitive answer than posting on SDN, and probably would take about the same amount of time.

Why not just email the program and ask? Seems like an easier way to get a definitive answer than posting on SDN, and probably would take about the same amount of time.

I did email the program. I also asked on sdn for the same reason that journalists investigating a story don't just rely on statements from official spokespeople.

I did email the program. I also asked on sdn for the same reason that journalists investigating a story don't just rely on statements from official spokespeople.
Except you're not an investigative journalist exposing corruption at the highest level. Your asking if a specific residency program would "welcome people intending on a heme/onc fellowship?" Why would any program lie about that or give misleading information? And who possibly would know the answer to that question other than the actual program?

Anyway, good luck with your residency applications!

I guess I'll weigh in here. I actually spoke with a few of the dept chairs from MD Anderson at a party I went to a few years back. They were talking about how yes, it is indeed intended to train hospitalists who can work at large academic cancer centers but even so, it's not like they're going to discourage you from applying to fellowship. Don't be paranoid they just want to see you succeed. I know it's probably a black box right now because there isn't any match data for the program just yet, but I have a sneakingly high suspicion that the graduates will all do incredibly well. MDA already usually takes one or two a year from BCM and one or two from UTH, so why not take from the BCM-MDA track?

Except you're not an investigative journalist exposing corruption at the highest level. Your asking if a specific residency program would "welcome people intending on a heme/onc fellowship?" Why would any program lie about that or give misleading information? And who possibly would know the answer to that question other than the actual program?

Anyway, good luck with your residency applications!

It's an analogy, not statement of literal equivalence. The point is not that they would lie or mislead, but that you get different flavors of information from an official representative than you get from anonymous sources on a message board. Who could possibly know? This forum is filled with threads of information addressing this exact type of question about programs that does not come from the actual program.

Hi
I had a question about picking my LORs
I have 3 US letters ( from an observership, elective and externship each)
and 2 from India.
I am expecting one/two good US LORs in October from an externship in Sep-Oct.

Do I select 4 LORs (from those I already have) for now ?

I would like to send 4 now and then send two recent (waived) LORs in October later. Could I do that after using all the four slots?

Thank you!

Hi
I had a question about picking my LORs
I have 3 US letters ( from an observership, elective and externship each)
and 2 from India.
I am expecting one/two good US LORs in October from an externship in Sep-Oct.

Do I select 4 LORs (from those I already have) for now ?

I would like to send 4 now and then send two recent (waived) LORs in October later. Could I do that after using all the four slots?

Thank you!
No. You can upload as many LORs to ERAS as you like, but you can only transmit 4 to each program. Nobody cares about your LORs from India, so just forget they exist. Use the 3 you have now to make sure that your app appears "complete" to programs that require that to be reviewed, then upload one from the externship if/when it is available.

Is there a way to search for keywords within a thread? I see the search at the top hand corner, but I want to limit the search in this thread, but don't know how.

Is there a way to search for keywords within a thread? I see the search at the top hand corner, but I want to limit the search in this thread, but don't know how.
When you click that, you get a drop down box. In the drop down is a checkbox for "search this thread only".

Hi guys,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question but I was wondering if someone could advise on assigning LORs.

I have 2 from my Sub-I at the MICU from pulm/CC (one strong and the other probably mediocre but from a much bigger name), one from peds (probably very strong), and one from a medicine attending who was my continuity clinic preceptor (probably mediocre). I do have one from my general medicine rotation as a MS3 but that won't be coming in for another week (also probably mediocre). I also have the standard chairman letter coming as well.

I've searched the forums and it seems that if you're applying to medicine, it makes sense to include one from your IM rotation. However, this won't be coming in for another week and it won't be as strong as maybe my peds and MICU letters. Regardless, should I wait for it and use it? Which 3 LORs would you recommend using?

Thanks for your time.

Can someone give me some idea how the training is like in this program? Any input would be highly appreciated.

Can someone give me some idea how the training is like in this program? Any input would be highly appreciated.
User is asking about Mt. Sinai in Chicago. Title of post lost when it was merged with the Program-Specific Questions thread where it belongs.

Has anyone worked with graduates of Jackson memorial IM? They have a 4+2+2 block schedule (inpatient/ambulatory/vacation-elective-nights) so I would appreciate any thoughts on that as well, as im not familiar with it.

I'm interested in P/CC, where they have matched residents mostly into their own program, but also South Carolina, Mayo Minn, and Cornell.

Here are their 13/14/15/16 match lists if anyone is curious http://www.jmhmedicine.com/fellowship-match/