This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got invited to a program's "let's kick off this recruitment season" party. Is this unusual? Do many programs have these? This shool is probably #1 on my list, so should I make sure to attend?

Members don't see this ad.

Got invited to a program's "let's kick off this recruitment season" party. Is this unusual? Do many programs have these? This shool is probably #1 on my list, so should I make sure to attend?
I've never heard of this. But presumably it's a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone give me some idea how the training is like in this program? Any input would be highly appreciated.

marginally better than not matching at all. program is a ****show. old as sin hospital, crappy ancillary staff, attendings don't care, crazy volume with insanely sick patients with zero health literacy.

Reactions: 1 user
marginally better than not matching at all. program is a ****show. old as sin hospital, crappy ancillary staff, attendings don't care, crazy volume with insanely sick patients with zero health literacy.

Thank you. This doesn't sound good at all. I read the neighborhood is dangerous? As you mentioned too, the only positive thing I heard was the high flow of patients. But 'attendings don't care' phrase suggests there is no training to accompany the high patient exposure. That sounds like just work, but no organized education.

Baystate IM is a highly malignant program made of nut-jobs in leadership positions. They put up a show on the day of the interview to sell their program. Springfield is a ghetto and is a very unsafe place. You are isolated from the rest of the country. The residents struggle to pass boards and get into fellowships. Do I need to say more?
You can contact me with questions.

Baystate IM is a highly malignant program made of nut-jobs in leadership positions. They put up a show on the day of the interview to sell their program. Springfield is a ghetto and is a very unsafe place. You are isolated from the rest of the country. The residents struggle to pass boards and get into fellowships. Do I need to say more?
You can contact me with questions.
Something tells me you've never been to "the rest of the country." Springfield is within 3 hours drive to NYC and 2 hours to Boston. It's 30 minutes from the 2nd largest airport in New England. I know nothing about the Baystate IM program, or even Springfield MA in general, but if you think it's "isolated" then you obviously haven't been to most of the US.

Something tells me you've never been to "the rest of the country." Springfield is within 3 hours drive to NYC and 2 hours to Boston. It's 30 minutes from the 2nd largest airport in New England. I know nothing about the Baystate IM program, or even Springfield MA in general, but if you think it's "isolated" then you obviously haven't been to most of the US.
I have been to most of the US in fact, all the big metros and most of the mid-west. Springfield is a ghetto, the roads are horrible and unless you are willing to drive up and down from Boston, there is nothing to do there. Even Kalamazoo in Michigan is a better town!

What are the thoughts on Uni. of Louisville? Some classmates have mentioned that it appears to have financial problems and that according to doximity, has some other bad signs as well?

Was invited to interview for the IM residency at CCF. Even though it's one of the FINEST medical institutions in the world, I've been hearing a variety of opinions about the program. What do you all think? What have you heard?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on what tier you are competitive for.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. See the program, look at the match list, talk to people there, and decide for yourself. There are pros and cons to every program. CCF is no different. From what people have said on here before:

Pros include:
1) Access to many of the leaders of many IM specialties. Most IM specialties seem very highly ranked by US news
2) Access to rare pathology you won't see many places
3) A compassionate/caring program leadership
4) dedication to teaching

Cons include:
1) Less procedural volume compared to many top programs
2) Somewhat less autonomy compared to many top programs
3) variable skill of co-residents
4) Things are very compartamentalized. GI issues end up on the GI services, Heart issues end up on the various cardiology services, pulm on pulm ETC. Residents seem to rotate through many of these varied services, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
not this thread again!

It's best to go check it out yourself and then come back to listen (maybe) to other people. It's one of those programs that people tend to have strong feelings about (from the worst program out there to the finest thing on earth). The truth lies somewhere in the middle. Good luck finding it

Was invited to interview for the IM residency at CCF. Even though it's one of the FINEST medical institutions in the world, I've been hearing a variety of opinions about the program. What do you all think? What have you heard?
there have been threads ad nauseum about this...did you even attempt a search?

how about you read them and then ask more specific questions...or just go to the interview and see what the places is like....

there have been threads ad nauseum about this...did you even attempt a search?

how about you read them and then ask more specific questions...or just go to the interview and see what the places is like....

I will go to the interview - very hard to turn them down! I have researched the program, HOWEVER, even though it's a wonderful institution and appears to offer a lot, I heard about some negatives such as lots of IMG's and there being too many residents. Figured someone who would have an idea...

1. It's a not too shabby hospital.
2. There's a thread for this...I moved it for you.

It depends on what tier you are competitive for.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. See the program, look at the match list, talk to people there, and decide for yourself. There are pros and cons to every program. CCF is no different. From what people have said on here before:

Pros include:
1) Access to many of the leaders of many IM specialties. Most IM specialties seem very highly ranked by US news
2) Access to rare pathology you won't see many places
3) A compassionate/caring program leadership
4) dedication to teaching

Cons include:
1) Less procedural volume compared to many top programs
2) Somewhat less autonomy compared to many top programs
3) variable skill of co-residents
4) Things are very compartamentalized. GI issues end up on the GI services, Heart issues end up on the various cardiology services, pulm on pulm ETC. Residents seem to rotate through many of these varied services, though.

From what I hear it's a fellow-run hospital since everything is so compartmentalized as you say. That's definitely not the kind of training environment you want to be in as a resident because it erodes your autonomy to the point where you're essentially just following directions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Has anyone worked with graduates of Jackson memorial IM? They have a 4+2+2 block schedule (inpatient/ambulatory/vacation-elective-nights) so I would appreciate any thoughts on that as well, as im not familiar with it.

I'm interested in P/CC, where they have matched residents mostly into their own program, but also South Carolina, Mayo Minn, and Cornell.

Here are their 13/14/15/16 match lists if anyone is curious http://www.jmhmedicine.com/fellowship-match/

Bump. Im really surprised by the lack of discussion about this program.

Would also appreciate anything about Mt Sinai- miami beach.

What are the thoughts on Uni. of Louisville? Some classmates have mentioned that it appears to have financial problems and that according to doximity, has some other bad signs as well?
It's a decent program, based on my interviews there for both residency and fellowship and from friends. It is apparently having some monetary issues, which may or may not affect your training. Sick patient population though, which is good for training. Overall, again from impressions on residency/fellowship interview and from friends, it seems that you would be well trained there but the other Kentucky program is the stronger program in the state.

Hi guys,

Any thoughts about Rochester General Hospital? It is mentioned in Freida that it is affiliated with a university but which one? No info.

I want to know also about the work environment there and the educational activities.

Looking for any information on West Virginia (Morgantown) program, Nebraska, Mississippi, Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou), UT-Nashville, South Alabama. Any one know anything about any of these? Thx.

Any info on Hopkins Bayview: is it a community program with the hopkins name, or is it solid training with good career prospects (fellowships, academics, vs community vs primary care)

Hopkins bayview is a community program and is thus structured more like a community program, but as the faculty and fellows are all from jhh you get amazing exposure to top didactics and research opportunities are abound on the hopkins bayview campus(a lot of hopkins's nih funding are actually from the bayview campus). I think it is more primarily driven to train internists and pcp but they have a decent amount of people who match in to fellowship and im pretty sure for a community program prob also has one of the most recent impressive matches especially as they are consiDered internal to jhh fellowships. That said imo if youre considering fellowship, academic centers should be ur first choice

Hopkins bayview is a community program and is thus structured more like a community program, but as the faculty and fellows are all from jhh you get amazing exposure to top didactics and research opportunities are abound on the hopkins bayview campus(a lot of hopkins's nih funding are actually from the bayview campus). I think it is more primarily driven to train internists and pcp but they have a decent amount of people who match in to fellowship and im pretty sure for a community program prob also has one of the most recent impressive matches especially as they are consiDered internal to jhh fellowships. That said imo if youre considering fellowship, academic centers should be ur first choice

So This may be stupid but what is the difference structure/education wise between a community and academic center outside of research?

Could someone talk a bit about Kaiser San Francisco? I threw them a random application because of location (am considering SF since it would be a good place for my BF to find a job), but the mentors I spoke to at my home institution weren't at all familiar with it (I'm not anywhere near the west coast for school). I'm at a well regarded academic institution, would like to keep my options open for fellowship, and mostly applied to academic programs.

My main question would be about environment --I'm wary of malignant or not very supportive programs, but any perspective would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Seems like this thread has been a little quiet as far as responses, but I figure it's worth a shot asking. I need to cut 2-3 interviews and was looking for any thoughts people have about the following programs:

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Indiana University
Case Western
Wake Forest

Any obvious ones to cut/keep?

No location preference between these. Things that are important to me are good support for residents interested in teaching/education and ensuring good autonomy/opportunity for hands on experiences (resident vs fellow run). Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Seems like this thread has been a little quiet as far as responses, but I figure it's worth a shot asking. I need to cut 2-3 interviews and was looking for any thoughts people have about the following programs:

Ohio State
University of Cincinnati
Indiana University
Case Western
Wake Forest

Any obvious ones to cut/keep?

No location preference between these. Things that are important to me are good support for residents interested in teaching/education and ensuring good autonomy/opportunity for hands on experiences (resident vs fellow run). Any thoughts greatly appreciated!
Cut 2 programs in Ohio. You choose which ones.

Need to cancel a few interviews. On the chopping block are Minnesota, Albert Einstein/Montefiore, Boston U, Tulane, Hopkins-Bayview, and U Maryland. No regional preference. Looking for a program with strong teaching, resident autonomy, good GI fellowship matches (ideally not just in-house) and hopefully time at a hospital w/ underserved population. Any thoughts on which to keep/cancel? Any hidden gems in this bunch that deserve a visit? I'm sad to cancel any, but for $$ reasons, it has to happen.

Need to cancel a few interviews. On the chopping block are Minnesota, Albert Einstein/Montefiore, Boston U, Tulane, Hopkins-Bayview, and U Maryland. No regional preference. Looking for a program with strong teaching, resident autonomy, good GI fellowship matches (ideally not just in-house) and hopefully time at a hospital w/ underserved population. Any thoughts on which to keep/cancel? Any hidden gems in this bunch that deserve a visit? I'm sad to cancel any, but for $$ reasons, it has to happen.
What are the ones you're keeping? It might help us decide which ones you should ditch.

If you are interested in underserved then you should keep monte, BU and UMD. The rest you can get rid of.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
What are the ones you're keeping? It might help us decide which ones you should ditch.
West: OHSU, UCSD, UCLA, Colorado
Midwest: Northwestern, Michigan
East: UPMC, Cornell, Yale
South: UTSW, Vanderbilt, UAB

If you are interested in underserved then you should keep monte, BU and UMD. The rest you can get rid of.
Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards BU>Tufts and UMD>Bayview.

West: OHSU, UCSD, UCLA, Colorado
Midwest: Northwestern, Michigan
East: UPMC, Cornell, Yale
South: UTSW, Vanderbilt, UAB

Thanks for the advice! I was leaning towards BU>Tufts and UMD>Bayview.

I'd agree with MeatTornado here. I'd definitely at least keep BU and Monte. If I were you I'd honestly keep Minnesota too. The program's really very strong and Minneapolis/St. Paul is a great place (plus they pay for your hotel so you've got that going too). Strong record sending GI fellows to Mayo, which I hear is a pretty decent place for GI (sarcasm).

I also need to cut out about 2 interviews due to time and money reasons, and would like some help. I know I haven't even been here yet, but as of right now, I could see myself being happy at any of these places. I'd like to especially ask about Medical College of Wisconsin, as that is my furthest interview, is going to be a 4-day venture, and would cost me a $750 flight. The rest I'll be driving to. Thanks for the help!

Home State:
1) Drexel
2) Temple
3) Penn State
4) Albert Einstein Medical Center (Philly)

East:
1) Rutgers RWJ
2) Virginia Commonwealth University
3) Stony Brook University
4) Dartmouth

Midwest:
1) Henry Ford Hospital
2) Case Western MetroHealth
3) Medical College of Wisconsin
4) University of Cincinnati

I also need to cut out about 2 interviews due to time and money reasons, and would like some help. I know I haven't even been here yet, but as of right now, I could see myself being happy at any of these places. I'd like to especially ask about Medical College of Wisconsin, as that is my furthest interview, is going to be a 4-day venture, and would cost me a $750 flight. The rest I'll be driving to. Thanks for the help!

Home State:
1) Drexel
2) Temple
3) Penn State
4) Albert Einstein Medical Center (Philly)

East:
1) Rutgers RWJ
2) Virginia Commonwealth University
3) Stony Brook University
4) Dartmouth

Midwest:
1) Henry Ford Hospital
2) Case Western MetroHealth
3) Medical College of Wisconsin
4) University of Cincinnati
I'd personally choose MCW over Einstiein, Henry Ford and Stony Brook. Possibly over Case.

Any input on the IM program at Baystate Medical Center, Springfield MA?
Current Baystate Resident: DO NOT COME TO THIS PROGRAM IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OPTIONS! The program puts up a show on the day of the interview and does not have resources to back it up. The program leadership is corrupt. Residents have shown up drunk for work. There was a shooting outside the resident clinic a couple of months ago. This is Springfield guys- the Biggest Ghetto in New England. I am ashamed to call these people my colleagues. The program has run out of money, their GME budget is gone and residents are being fired or forced to resign by the leadership. Do Not trust Mike Rosenblum and Mike Picchioni, you will get harassed if you match here.

I didn't like it. They spent a lot of time on my interview day trying to dispel the "myth" that the program is fellow driven, but the fact is that there have been grads from there who have come to my program's MICU without putting in a single central line. Impossible as a grad of my program, so totally weird.

Large dogs

What are the benefits of doing a residency at any one of the medical center IM residencies? UT-houston, Baylor, or Methodist? Any all programs pretty solid? What's cost of living like around Houston?

I'd personally choose MCW over Einstiein, Henry Ford and Stony Brook. Possibly over Case.

Thanks for the insight! Can I ask one more thing? Just based purely on reputation, is Doximity's ranking correct in putting these 3 at the lowest of my list: Stony Brook, then Penn State, then Case Western MetroHealth?

I know a ton of factors come into play here (including my stats, what I'm looking for, etc), but if the above is correct then I'm considering dropping those 3 interviews. I'm a slightly-above average candidate, and would still have 13 interviews total if I did that. Including 3 that already went very well.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any insight into the above. I know Doximity's ranking can be skewed, so that's why I'd like a second opinion.

Thanks for the insight! Can I ask one more thing? Just based purely on reputation, is Doximity's ranking correct in putting these 3 at the lowest of my list: Stony Brook, then Penn State, then Case Western MetroHealth?

I know a ton of factors come into play here (including my stats, what I'm looking for, etc), but if the above is correct then I'm considering dropping those 3 interviews. I'm a slightly-above average candidate, and would still have 13 interviews total if I did that. Including 3 that already went very well.

Anyway, I'd really appreciate any insight into the above. I know Doximity's ranking can be skewed, so that's why I'd like a second opinion.
Mark this as the first time I've ever agreed with that dumpster fire of a website. But yes. If you're dropping interviews, that's a good order to do so.

What are the benefits of doing a residency at any one of the medical center IM residencies? UT-houston, Baylor, or Methodist? Any all programs pretty solid? What's cost of living like around Houston?
Benefits? They're in Houston.
Risks? They're in Houston.

Mark this as the first time I've ever agreed with that dumpster fire of a website. But yes. If you're dropping interviews, that's a good order to do so.

Duly marked (since I couldn't find any other sort of rankings, it's all I had to go off of). Thanks again!

Benefits? They're in Houston.
Risks? They're in Houston.

Consider that the pathology seen and academic and research opportunities are not equaled anywhere else (go watch a heart transplant during lunch), with world-class physicians and some of the smartest people in medicine and the life sciences. The medical center treats over 1.5 million patients per year with revenues for all Texas Medical Center facilities over $20 billion annually. (For those at Baylor, they will have a new hospital opening along side their new outpatient center.)

The Texas Medical Center is a sprawling city in its-self with a daily population of 200,000, and its own zip-code. There has been an increase in nearby housing available specifically to students, residents, and fellows-- one can live around the medical center and shuttle or walk to work. Local moonlighting. Houston has the lowest cost of living in any of the growing Southern/Western US cities. A large, varied, growing immigrant population (like Los Angeles, Atlanta, Miami,... etc.) with their cultural interests, languages, and foods. No state income taxes. No snow in winter. Plenty of air-conditioning in summer.

Negatives: sweaty summer weather, heavy vehicle traffic, Austin is 180 miles away.

Last edited:
Current Baystate Resident: DO NOT COME TO THIS PROGRAM IF YOU HAVE ANY OTHER OPTIONS! The program puts up a show on the day of the interview and does not have resources to back it up. The program leadership is corrupt. Residents have shown up drunk for work. There was a shooting outside the resident clinic a couple of months ago. This is Springfield guys- the Biggest Ghetto in New England. I am ashamed to call these people my colleagues. The program has run out of money, their GME budget is gone and residents are being fired or forced to resign by the leadership. Do Not trust Mike Rosenblum and Mike Picchioni, you will get harassed if you match here.
Wow! This comment is shockingly melodramatic and full of inaccuracies and exaggerations. You're probably being "harassed" by the leadership because you're not meeting expectations. On the rare occasion that a resident's contract has not been renewed, it was because he/she was unable to meet milestones despite intervention. I have never had any issues with the program or the leadership at Baystate. I've had a wonderful experience there. Maybe you need to reflect on your own personal struggles. Also, the program's budget is not "gone." They had a primary care grant that covered extra residents, which expired. All that means is that the program can except less residents in the future. Admittedly, Springfield is a rough area. There was not a shooting outside of the clinic. It was several blocks away, but everyone got a page to let us know to be careful. However, I find it rewarding to care for the disadvantaged and enjoy working in this area. That's one of the reasons I chose Baystate. Finally, residents do not show up drunk to work--no one would condone that kind of behavior. I'm sorry Baystate has not been a good fit for you, but I think there are many more of us who are happy with our program. I would recommend seeking assistance from your advisor.

Last edited:
Wow! This comment is shockingly melodramatic and full of inaccuracies and exaggerations. You're probably being "harassed" by the leadership because you're not meeting expectations. On the rare occasion that a resident's contract has not been renewed, it was because he/she was unable to meet milestones despite intervention. I have never had any issues with the program or the leadership at Baystate. I've had a wonderful experience there. Maybe you need to reflect on your own personal struggles. Also, the program's budget is not "gone." They had a primary care grant that covered extra residents, which expired. All that means is that the program can except less residents in the future. Admittedly, Springfield is a rough area. There was not a shooting outside of the clinic. It was several blocks away, but everyone got a page to let us know to be careful. However, I find it rewarding to care for the disadvantaged and enjoy working in this area. That's one of the reasons I chose Baystate. Finally, residents do not show up drunk to work--no one would condone that kind of behavior. I'm sorry Baystate has not been a good fit for you, but I think there are many more of us who are happy with our program. I would recommend seeking assistance from EAP and consider not staying on the extra year you volunteered for.

Nice try PD.