This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Board pass rates can be googled. The other stuff can be gleaned when you interview

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current med school student and was looking at different IM residences. While I was reading about Orlando Health's IM residency, I noticed their website says applicants must receive an MD degree, and that none of their residents are DO students. I was just wondering if anyone has heard if this program isn't DO friendly?

I am a current med school student and was looking at different IM residences. While I was reading about Orlando Health's IM residency, I noticed their website says applicants must receive an MD degree, and that none of their residents are DO students. I was just wondering if anyone has heard if this program isn't DO friendly?
as stated on their website, it is not DO friendly

Members don't see this ad :)

If their roster has no DOs, has never graduated DOs, and their FAQ states they only want applicant from LCME accredited school it's essentially them saying "absolutely not DO friendly". A few other places had a policy of the sort like NYU Langone which changed (but they still more than likely won't consider DOs).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If their roster has no DOs, has never graduated DOs, and their FAQ states they only want applicant from LCME accredited school it's essentially them saying "absolutely not DO friendly". A few other places had a policy of the sort like NYU Langone which changed (but they still more than likely won't consider DOs).

I'm really not sure why they don't take DOs, this program is clearly not of the NYU ilk as far as reputation, research opportunities, etc. It's not crazy to think they would take DOs despite the somewhat passively worded line in the FAQ, which if I remember correctly says something like you have to "have received your MD degree." Having no DOs on the current resident list is pretty telling, though. A few of my classmates and I applied here against our better judgment and we didn't get interview invites. We all got university IM invites. Oh well.

Reactions: 1 user

I wouldn't apply there. It's bound to be a waste of money when their residents are predominantly from FSU, UCF, and Ross/SGU + some FMGs.

Take a look at Florida Hospital instead. I don't remember seeing any DOs as current residents, but they don't flat out say MD degree only on their website like Orlando Health does.

GL

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I matched into CaseWestern MetroHealth Internal Medicine residency program this year. I couldn't find much info about the program. I used the search option above and came across so many negative posts. Anyone who is a current resident or who did electives there, please share your experience. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not find much info about the program. Anyone who is a current resident there or who did electives please share your opinion. I matched into the IM program there and hoping for a good experience. Thank you!
Note than this question is about Case MetroHealth...title got lost in the merge)

I don't have too much information on the IM program directly. I was rotating in the dermatology department there from a different hospital system as a fellow. The rheumatology department (a subspecialty of IM) shares clinical space with the derm department. The rheum attending was an excellent teaching attending. They were both very knowledgeable and approachable.

Cleveland itself is a hidden gem. Many great museums, theater district second to broadway, cost of living is unbelievably cheap (especially compared to Boston), the blend of urban and country this part of Ohio offers is exceptional. Tremont area would be a great place to look for housing as it's close to MetroHealth.

The patient population is mostly from poor socioeconomic status. You will see a great variety.

Constant grey skies in Cleveland can make it challenging if you're not used to it.

I hope this helps. It's all I can offer. I can't speak for the IM program itself.

Hi I'm an MS3 interested in GIM/Primary Care. Is there a real advantage in going to a program with a PC track versus one that lumps everyone together into a traditional pathway? Any recs on how to choose programs best suited for this career path? Thanks!

Hi I'm an MS3 interested in GIM/Primary Care. Is there a real advantage in going to a program with a PC track versus one that lumps everyone together into a traditional pathway? Any recs on how to choose programs best suited for this career path? Thanks!

If you're interested in primary care, you should look into the primary care tracks. The problem with doing the traditional path is it doesn't prepare you to be efficient after residency is done, but a good primary care focused program should help with that.

If you're interested in primary care, you should look into the primary care tracks. The problem with doing the traditional path is it doesn't prepare you to be efficient after residency is done, but a good primary care focused program should help with that.

Thanks, UncommonVariable. Are there any particular problems that you know of that have solid tracks? Mostly interested in urban primary care.

The main benefit of a primary care track is you will get more outpatient time.

The main drawback is that if you end up hating primary care (a real possibility), then it is a little more awkward when you apply for a fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
I matched into CaseWestern MetroHealth Internal Medicine residency program this year. I couldn't find much info about the program. I used the search option above and came across so many negative posts. Anyone who is a current resident or who did electives there, please share your experience. Thank you!

We'd love to see your match results in the match results page as well now that you've gotten advice from another member!

which of the above programmes are best guys for internal medicine residency? can't find too much on them from the search engine, at least no recent posts. thaks

which of the above programmes are best guys for internal medicine residency? can't find too much on them from the search engine, at least no recent posts. thaks
Note that the OP was asking about UMass, UConn and Baystate. That got lost in the merge with the appropriate thread.

UMass = UConn > Baystate

Individual people may give reasons for ranking UMass > UConn or vice versa, but basically they are both low-to-mid tier university programs in undesirable (but relatively close to desirable) locations. Both are filled with a mix of USMDs, DOs, Caribbean grads, FMGs. Both will provide good clinical exposure and training. Both have basically all IM fellowships in-house and will set you up well to match elsewhere.

Baystate, even though I think they now host a UMass medical school track, is not a university program. That said, it also has most IM fellowships in-house and will provide good clinical exposure and training. The main reason I would place it below UMass/UConn is because it will not provide the same name recognition after leaving that a large, state university program would.

They have many IMG so not sure why they don't take DO... It seems strange that they have no DO. I guess they are probably not DO friendly. You should give them a call if you are interested.

Can someone comment on the case variety at CCF on medicine wards? Is there enough "bread and butter" (COPDE, CHF, DKA, hepatic encephalopathy, etc.) or do complex referral cases overburden the service?

Can someone comment on the case variety at CCF on medicine wards? Is there enough "bread and butter" (COPDE, CHF, DKA, hepatic encephalopathy, etc.) or do complex referral cases overburden the service?

I'm not training there, but my understanding is that it's a consult-heavy program where you're expected to consult first, make an actual medical plan later.

any current thoughts on University of Florida? Seems to have a busy VA and quarternary referral center in Shands. But really how busy does it get in Gainesville? Is the medicine training and fellowship placement above par, par, or subpar?

Vaguely and generally speaking, what is the opinion of IM at Lenox Hill in NY, NY and its IM sub-specialties?

Last edited:
Are there any current residents or people with knowledge of the program that can comment on it? I'm interested and haven't found a lot of info on SDN. Doximity has resident reviews which seem to be very positive, but I wanted further feedback from others if possible.

Thanks so much in advance!

so I have heard that UCLA-harbor is no longer part of UCLA system anymore and quality of training is not good as used to be? looked like they have pretty good fellowship matches before. i am not sure how it's going to to be in the future. any thoughts on ucla-harbor?

Not a program-specific question but I didn't want to make a whole new thread (mods if I've messed up please feel free to move/delete)

For fellow DO applicants-- anyone know of IM interview invites going out yet? I know a few people who have gotten one for FM but I don't know if many have gone out for IM yet.

You'll more than enough bread and butter stuff but will also see lots of very complex and rare stuff.

The medicine experience and subspecialty rotations are awesome (many services are too Fellow-driven), but the big problems lie with the program leadership, which is truly terrible at present.

Getting a sense of how competitive their program is would help. As much as I'd like to go to Hawaii, that would blow my whole interview budget.

so I have heard that UCLA-harbor is no longer part of UCLA system anymore and quality of training is not good as used to be? looked like they have pretty good fellowship matches before. i am not sure how it's going to to be in the future. any thoughts on ucla-harbor?
Harbor's always been a strong program in my mind. Every couple years there seems to be a new controversy that emerges that center around the questions of "Is this hospital economically stable?" or "Is this hospital truly UCLA?" This honestly strikes me as an absurd loop of inquiry because A. the hospital is a county hospital so it will never be economically stable but it's better than most, and B. yes, as long as students, residents, and fellows rotate through it, Harbor will always be UCLA affiliated. Don't worry about reputation or fellowship match, it's traditionally been pretty solid and the training has a good reputation for building solid residents. The question you should be asking yourself during interviews is whether you'll be happy at the program or not. I think that's the more important one to consider.

There is definitely enough bread and butter at CCF, but also at any semi-reputable academic institution in an actual city (Mistake on the Lake does count as a city). When I interviewed there, the PD made a big point to stress how internal medicine training was more about "rare presentations of common diseases" rather than "common presentation of rare diseases." While that may be true 95% of the time, as a trainee, you'll want exposure to uncommon presentations and/or rare diseases so that you can at least recognize it and expedite the diagnosis. Perhaps that is one of the reasons why CCF is so fellow-driven and totally rubbed me the wrong way.

Also, complex referral cases are only a "burden" if you literally do not talk to or learn from consultants and are just putting in their orders and doing their scut work. Most good academic institutions have excellent consultant-teachers and you learn a lot on subspecialty services. I must admit though, cystic fibrosis admissions are painful and I just do whatever the CF attending tells me to and move on :)

Vaguely and generally speaking, what is the opinion of IM at Lenox Hill in NY, NY and its IM sub-specialties?

It is a small community program with a new academic affiliation in Hofstra after the NSLIJ system bought it a few years ago. Ok volume, not too clinically vigorous. Probably a tier below Mt. Sinai Beth Israel and Jacobi in terms of overall IM training in NYC hierarchy.

Any info on NYU- traditional vs NYU-Tisch-Kimmel? I'm more interested in the Tisch-Kimmel track, but NYU itself is already a reach for me, so should I just apply categorical as it has more slots or can I apply to both?

Any info on NYU- traditional vs NYU-Tisch-Kimmel? I'm more interested in the Tisch-Kimmel track, but NYU itself is already a reach for me, so should I just apply categorical as it has more slots or can I apply to both?

According to their website, it appears that you can/should apply to both tracks and ultimately rank both if you interview.
Frequently Asked Questions | Department of Medicine

Cleveland itself is a hidden gem. Many great museums, theater district second to broadway, cost of living is unbelievably cheap (especially compared to Boston), the blend of urban and country this part of Ohio offers is exceptional. Tremont area would be a great place to look for housing as it's close to MetroHealth.

The patient population is mostly from poor socioeconomic status. You will see a great variety.

Constant grey skies in Cleveland can make it challenging if you're not used to it.

Cleveland is very nice and has a surprising amt of culture. As others have said the cost of living is incredible; you can get a 4 bedroom house in a reasonable area for under 200k!

The grey skies are only during the winter (which granted lasts 5+ months). The spring and summer are beautiful and temperate and much more pleasant than the summers on the east coast, whitch are often sweltering.

What is up with Jacobi asking applicants about future plans?

They can't use other metrics to screen out applicants.

Guys what is the word out about St. John's Hospital and Medical center program in Detroit for Internal Medicine? It looks like they have 4 fellowships: Hem/onc, cardio, nephro, ID and it seems like there are research opportunities there. There's just not much on forums about IM (mostly Emergency and Surgery)

Guys what is the word out about St. John's Hospital and Medical center program in Detroit for Internal Medicine? It looks like they have 4 fellowships: Hem/onc, cardio, nephro, ID and it seems like there are research opportunities there. There's just not much on forums about IM (mostly Emergency and Surgery)

I did my clinical rotations at St. John and think it is a solid program, as long as you recognize its limitations. The majority of residents are a mix of FMGs and IMGs with the rest DOs and a few scattered USMDs. The pay is pretty bad and it is in Detroit, but to be fair both those are true of any hospital in Detroit. It gets the most penetrating trauma out of any hospital in Detroit, which is why you see the EM and Surgery threads, but you do see pretty decent medical pathology from the city. The hospital sits on the border of Detroit and decent suburbs, so anything east of the hospital is pretty safe. The residents who wanted fellowships seemed to get them, though I don't know about quality or if anyone gave up early. EMR was Cerner. Free hot "buffet" lunches Monday through Friday which ranges from terrible to pretty decent, though there is always salad. A good number of attendings partake even though they have real money to buy real food, which perplexes me. Decent call money for the cafeteria and lounge is decently stocked otherwise.

I don't want to just throw out a lot of randomness, so feel free to PM me with specific questions as I know the website is pretty bare. Just remember that anything would be from a student's perspective a year or so old.

Anyone know much about Beth Israel in Manhattan? Or Hofstra? Are they good programs for fellowship?

Can anyone tell me about NYC Columbia? Clinical rigor? Autonomy? Patient and pathology diversity? There isn't much on website

I am a 3rd year DO Student and I am curious will Mayo Rochester consider DO students for their IM program? If yes what type of board scores would make me competitive? Would you recommend applying for an audition rotation as a Sub-I or would you recommend applying to one of their specialty's like Gastroenterology? How many research projects do they like to see? What else do they look at heavily when picking Residents? I Would like to hear from a Mayo Resident or someone who works with the program, but would also like input from whoever feels that they can share good advise.

Last edited:
I am a current resident. New account to remain anonymous.

Mayo IM has had DO's in the past. There are no DO's in our current class (there are a few medicine prelims who are are at mayo for advanced positions). I can't speak to the board scores, the FREIDA average step 1 is >240 as of last year. Having some extra padding in terms of score is always helpful for applying. While away rotations aren't required in IM, in my experience I have seen away rotations be really helpful for students here (both so you make sure you like the program, but also so the program can have some experience with you). If I were going to do an away, I would try to do something like hospital medicine (sometimes you will be on the teaching service with residents, other times on the hospitalist service--many of the hospitalists work on both and may be involved with residency selection). Could also do a consult service -- may be more variable. I would probably pick something with more consultant (read: attending) contact i.e. endocrine, rheum etc.

Can't comment on research projects specifically. Obviously, the more the better, but not a hard and fast requirement. Impact factor probably matters more than volume (i.e. 1 first author manuscript vs many case reports), but that said I certainly didn't have a lot of high impact first author manuscripts (being involved with research at any level as a med student is a bonus). Aside from scores and research, Mayo definitely looks heavily at 'fit'. They want to make sure that you will be happy here for three years and that you will work well with the program/culture.

The program is great--my coresidents are fun and friendly. Lots of cool bars/restaurants recently opened or opening in Rochester. Consider coming to check the place out with an away.

Mayo IM has had DO's in the past. There are no DO's in our current class (there are a few medicine prelims who are are at mayo for advanced positions). I can't speak to the board scores, the FREIDA average step 1 is >240 as of last year. Having some extra padding in terms of score is always helpful for applying. While away rotations aren't required in IM, in my experience I have seen away rotations be really helpful for students here (both so you make sure you like the program, but also so the program can have some experience with you). If I were going to do an away, I would try to do something like hospital medicine (sometimes you will be on the teaching service with residents, other times on the hospitalist service--many of the hospitalists work on both and may be involved with residency selection). Could also do a consult service -- may be more variable. I would probably pick something with more consultant (read: attending) contact i.e. endocrine, rheum etc.

Can't comment on research projects specifically. Obviously, the more the better, but not a hard and fast requirement. Impact factor probably matters more than volume (i.e. 1 first author manuscript vs many case reports), but that said I certainly didn't have a lot of high impact first author manuscripts (being involved with research at any level as a med student is a bonus). Aside from scores and research, Mayo definitely looks heavily at 'fit'. They want to make sure that you will be happy here for three years and that you will work well with the program/culture.

The program is great--my coresidents are fun and friendly. Lots of cool bars/restaurants recently opened or opening in Rochester. Consider coming to check the place out with an away.
Thanks Dr RochLYFE, that was very

The program is great--my coresidents are fun and friendly. Lots of cool bars/restaurants recently opened or opening in Rochester. Consider coming to check the place out with an away.[/QUOTWas very helpful!

According to this document (warning...PDF), there are no programs at Drexel on probation for the current academic year.

But perhaps there's additional information out there.

I'm having difficulty finding why a particular program is on probation, do you know where I may look? Thank you.

Guys looking for some information on Sinai-Grace (DMC/Wayne State) program in Detroit. How are interviews conducted there? Is it a panel? A group or a one-on-one? Do they ask medical questions? I've gotten vastly different responses and posts on forums...Please help!