This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any recent thoughts on Case Western University Hospitals vs Cleveland Clinic in terms of IM residency training? I know both are solid programs but which is stronger and gets you the better advantage in terms of fellowship placement? Old threads regarding this topic were 10+ years old.

Members don't see this ad.

What do you guys think of Hackensack University Medical centers new INternal medicine program. It looks like it will probably be a really decent program in 5-10 years but just wondering if its good to rank high now as being the starting class.

Curious about this program as well. I know its the first year so I'm curious what it will be like, but i'm guessing no one can really know that. I know they had IM residents at the hospital before this program started, but I think they were part of Rutgers at that time? Now that Seton Hall is opening its first medical school class, its going to be part of the Seton Hall Medical School. Anyone have any info? Also curious how this will work if there will only be an intern class with no seniors?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how the program is broken down (DO/MD), program specifics? I can't seem to find much information online.

Any idea which is a better program? Lenox Hill Vs Mt Sinai St Lukes/Roosevelt Vs NYMC Westchester?

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA harbor, UCLA olive view, Scripps green, CPMC, and scvmc are pretty much equivalent? Any of these significantly better than others?

UCLA harbor, UCLA olive view, Scripps green, CPMC, and scvmc are pretty much equivalent? Any of these significantly better than others?
UCLA has higher recognition across country but Scripps green is probably highest out of those in California

Regarding UPMC (University of Pittsburgh), does anyone know if the strength of the Pulm/Critical Care department and fellowship translates to strong critical care training for the residents? Looking at the last few years of fellowship placements, it seems like few of the residents go into Pulm/CC (though the ones that do go to strong programs). I realize this could also be due to residents wanting to do other things instead, but was wondering if anyone else had insight into the program. Thank you!

I think if there is a difference it is not significant at all in terms of fellowship placement . they are all community based programs with great training.

Reactions: 1 user
can anyone provide information on IM program at Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia?

can anyone provide information on IM program at Pennsylvania Hospital in Philadelphia?

Solid clinical training. Hospital is technically in the Penn system, however separate residency program (more of a community program) from that of UPenn. Many DOs in the residency class. Access to most of the same research resources as the UPenn residents.

Anyone have any thoughts on UT-Houston? I'm interested in possibly moving to Texas for residency and wondering what it's like there.
go on your interview and be aggressive probing during your visit albeit staying polite to find out

Does anyone know anything about Hackensack University Medical Center? (in New Jersey)

This will be their inaugural class for Internal Medicine. I have an interview there, but I'm not from the area, so I don't know anything about it.

It is affiliated with Seton Hall-Meridian School of Medicine.

I've read a few other posts on SDN, about the pros/cons of new programs. But does anyone have specific information (good or bad) about Hackensack? i.e. how is the ancillary staff, how is the nearby city/area, etc.

Last edited:
Hello,

I interviewed at Rush recently for Internal, and due to family reasons I have to stay in Chicago/Wisconsin/Mich area for residency. I had a great interview day experience and really want to rank it #1. However, I am worried the program is too "cush." It is often cited as such on boards, but I wonder if other programs are also just as "cush," but they aren't talked about as much because they aren't in Chicago.

Could any current Rush residents, faculty, or students weigh in on how much autonomy they get? I know they have an earlier sign out time, and often get off early, but do residents still see a decent patient load?

Honest advice is much appreciated. Thank you so much.

Hello,

I interviewed at Rush recently for Internal, and due to family reasons I have to stay in Chicago/Wisconsin/Mich area for residency. I had a great interview day experience and really want to rank it #1. However, I am worried the program is too "cush." It is often cited as such on boards, but I wonder if other programs are also just as "cush," but they aren't talked about as much because they aren't in Chicago.

Could any current Rush residents, faculty, or students weigh in on how much autonomy they get? I know they have an earlier sign out time, and often get off early, but do residents still see a decent patient load?

Honest advice is much appreciated. Thank you so much.

I didn't train at Rush, but I do know people who did. They didn't outright say it was cush themselves but when I objectively compare the clinical exposure they get versus my residency and others...they definitely have it too easy.

Obviously 'easier' and 'cushier' residencies will always be detrimental to you in the long run. The fewer patients and pathology you see in training simply means fewer opportunities to make mistakes and learn from them when you have 3 years of people watching your back. That means when you eventually become the attending of record, you're going to be one of those people who constantly second guess themselves, panconsult everyone, frequently order unnecessary tests, etc. These poorly trained attendings who work in hospital medicine basically become midlevels with a MD.

Hi everyone ---

Looking for candid input on some NYC programs, specifically comparing Sinai to Cornell. I enjoyed both pretty similarly on interview days and am having trouble ranking them. I want to stay in NYC long term, and my fellowship interests are varied (on one end ID on the other Cards/Heme Onc; I'm not going into GI/Endo/Rheum) but I plan on specializing. I like research (clinical > basic), but I'm still clinically focused, and I want to be at a program with real patient (and faculty!) diversity and real opportunities at autonomy. Both places I'm sure have their comparable rich upper-east-side patients, but I'm wondering if anyone has specific opinions on the two programs beyond the generic reputations of each that are years/decades old.

Thanks again everyone.

Anyone have any thoughts on UT-Houston? I'm interested in possibly moving to Texas for residency and wondering what it's like there.

I was really impressed with UT Houston. Program director is my favorite I've seen! Particularly good if you're interested in Hospitalist/Cardiology/Heme-Onc. Not the best for primary care.

any thoughts on Maryland vs. Hopkins Bayview?

Bayview has a stronger connection to Hopkins and gives you an inside track if you want to stay in Baltimore and match at Hopkins for fellowships. Otherwise, similar programs in terms of clinical training and regional/national academic prestige. Bayview is in East Baltimore and in a more meh area, whereas east of Maryland is within walking distance to Inner Harbor. However, west of Maryland is a danger zone and employees at the medical center occasionally get robbed (rare, but happens).

Hi everyone ---

Looking for candid input on some NYC programs, specifically comparing Sinai to Cornell. I enjoyed both pretty similarly on interview days and am having trouble ranking them. I want to stay in NYC long term, and my fellowship interests are varied (on one end ID on the other Cards/Heme Onc; I'm not going into GI/Endo/Rheum) but I plan on specializing. I like research (clinical > basic), but I'm still clinically focused, and I want to be at a program with real patient (and faculty!) diversity and real opportunities at autonomy. Both places I'm sure have their comparable rich upper-east-side patients, but I'm wondering if anyone has specific opinions on the two programs beyond the generic reputations of each that are years/decades old.

Thanks again everyone.

Interviewed at both for residency a few years ago. Overall, both programs are good clinically and neither came across as malignant. Personally, I thought Sinai was a bit more rigorous and more well-rounded across multiple specialties, whereas the Cornell residents were extra cool. I did get the feeling that you see more of the wealthy UES patients at Cornell though; their VIP floor was a bit ridiculous. Can't go wrong with either.

Some things to consider:
- For cardiology, Sinai is probably better. Strong department with a lot of clinical research opportunities and faculty mentors who have many connections in the field
- For hem/onc, Cornell is probably better. MSK is their next door neighbor after all
- Despite those differences, it matters less for you since you want to stay in NYC. Both institutions are well connected within NYC circles and you will match at an NYC institution if you do well in residency.

UT Houston vs Houston Methodist?
Planning to pursue cardiology. Both interview days were pretty nice.
Pros of UT Houston to me were that they match really well into cards, 6+2 schedule
Cons of UT Houston were that they rotate between three hospitals and LBJ seems a bit far away, they use Cerner instead of epic
Pros of Methodist: smaller program, similar opportunities to UT in terms of research it seemed and high ABIM pass rate (97%)
Cons: traditional scheduling
Can anyone provide additional insight? Really appreciate it!

Bayview has a stronger connection to Hopkins and gives you an inside track if you want to stay in Baltimore and match at Hopkins for fellowships. Otherwise, similar programs in terms of clinical training and regional/national academic prestige. Bayview is in East Baltimore and in a more meh area, whereas east of Maryland is within walking distance to Inner Harbor. However, west of Maryland is a danger zone and employees at the medical center occasionally get robbed (rare, but happens).

I agree with the first part, Bayview has stronger ties to JHH, thus maybe facilitating fellowship placement. The program, however, could not be more different in terms of emphasis in clinical training. University of Maryland is by far the bigger program and you may see more pathology there. Bayview has a unique emphasis on primary care and community medicine. They do see some zebras as its Hopkins. Maryland is in the better location in my opinion. Bayview is an island in the middle of East Baltimore. Maryland is downtown and close to the Inner Harbor and Mount Vernon. You have a good chance to get robbed anywhere in Baltimore, not that it cannot be avoided. There are bad areas in walking distance from both University of Maryland and the Bayview Campus. This is just as true for JHH. It really comes down to personal fit.

Anyone have any insight into the following programs?
U Kentucky
UT Memphis
U Kansas
SLU

Strength of programs? Work/life balance? How happy are residents? What is living in that city like? Just looking for insight from others who interviewed there and their feelings as well as people who did med school there and their thoughts about the programs. Thanks

Regarding questions about the new Hackensack University Medical Center residency programs...

the hospital/program:
I'm from New Jersey and have been to Hackensack in the past. This private hospital is beautiful -- arguably the nicest in NJ -- and is consistently rated the best hospital in the state for patient care. Ancillary staff are wonderful. This is not Manhattan -- you will not be drawing blood or anything close to that.

It's a fine hospital, especially for surgery candidates, as they have a lot of cutting edge equipment there. The residents work hard in both medicine and surgery but have not violated duty hours at all in the past and it's generally been a good quality of life. The surgery department has your typical q4 call setup and is split into several teams and highly organized. (They had residents from another university program and were university-affiliated before breaking that affiliation to partner with Seton Hall.)

It's absolutely worth an interview, as it's about as nice a hospital as you can hope for with a new program. BUT, it's still a new residency program and I have my doubts about the administration of the new Seton Hall School of Medicine being able to make this a truly smooth transition.

However, if you are interviewing for internal medicine, this program is probably not what you are looking for if you can snag interviews at NJMS or RWJ or Cooper in NJ instead. They have not historically had separate hospitalist and teaching services (even though they had rotating residents from the Rutgers-NJMS) and the experience was generally rated as "low educational value" among residents in the past.

the area:
This is suburban New Jersey. You need a car to live here, but the surrounding area is very safe. If you like going to NYC, the Lincoln tunnel and GWB are very close and there are buses that will take you across. You can also hop on NJTransit and take a train to Penn Station in Manhattan.

Otherwise it's a typical suburb with good diversity and pretty good food. MUCH nicer and safer than where you find most "university" programs.

Last edited:
Probably should avoid any 'new' residency programs if you can.

Anyone have any insight into the following programs?
U Kentucky
UT Memphis
U Kansas
SLU

Strength of programs? Work/life balance? How happy are residents? What is living in that city like? Just looking for insight from others who interviewed there and their feelings as well as people who did med school there and their thoughts about the programs. Thanks

I loved UK. It's edging out some "high tier" programs for me because of 1) acuity, 2) residents are coolest I have seen, and 3) schedule is awesome.

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Primary Care IM program at UCONN. Did anyone recently interview at this place and what they thought about it. Also would appreciate if someone can tell me about their match rate for this year.

I really loved the program when u went in, and it was one of my first interviews and I didn't ask some of the questions that seem important to me now. Also interested in a competitive specialty later so was wondering about their match for this year.
Thanks

Hey guys, just wondering how competitive the IM programs are in Portland, OR? I couldn't seem to find any recent threads that answered my question. I'm from the PNW but currently go to a DO school in the South and am hoping to come back to the west coast. I've had my eye on OHSU and Providence and was wondering if this was within my reach.
Step 1: 243, COMLEX 1: 651. Assuming that my Step 2 will be the same or slightly higher and I pass the PE what are my chances? Also I have no research and probably will only have 1 case report by the time I apply next year. I've got all H's so far and 1 HP with 4 rotations left in my 3rd year (I have yet to do my IM rotation).

Hey guys, just wondering how competitive the IM programs are in Portland, OR? I couldn't seem to find any recent threads that answered my question. I'm from the PNW but currently go to a DO school in the South and am hoping to come back to the west coast. I've had my eye on OHSU and Providence and was wondering if this was within my reach.
Step 1: 243, COMLEX 1: 651. Assuming that my Step 2 will be the same or slightly higher and I pass the PE what are my chances? Also I have no research and probably will only have 1 case report by the time I apply next year. I've got all H's so far and 1 HP with 4 rotations left in my 3rd year (I have yet to do my IM rotation).
Both of the Providence programs, and the Legacy IM program, have a relatively large number of DOs in them, and I suspect (I work with the Legacy residents and know the program leadership, can't actually comment on Providence) that you're reasonably competitive there. They do tend to have a large proportion of those DO grads from western programs, but I suspect that's a self selection issue.

OHSU is also fairly DO friendly. When I was a resident there, 10-20% of each class was DO, usually from the older programs (CCOM, PCOM, KCOM, NYCOM, etc) but more recent classes have had broader DO representation (Western and Touro in particular).

Bottom line, all 4 of the Portland programs are worth an app if you really want to come here for residency.

Both of the Providence programs, and the Legacy IM program, have a relatively large number of DOs in them, and I suspect (I work with the Legacy residents and know the program leadership, can't actually comment on Providence) that you're reasonably competitive there. They do tend to have a large proportion of those DO grads from western programs, but I suspect that's a self selection issue.

OHSU is also fairly DO friendly. When I was a resident there, 10-20% of each class was DO, usually from the older programs (CCOM, PCOM, KCOM, NYCOM, etc) but more recent classes have had broader DO representation (Western and Touro in particular).

Bottom line, all 4 of the Portland programs are worth an app if you really want to come here for residency.

Thanks for the response! Ya, I was worried that I would be screened out due to my med school's location and reputation (lack thereof). Do you think doing an audition rotation at one of these programs would help increase my chances of landing a residency in this area?

Thanks for the response! Ya, I was worried that I would be screened out due to my med school's location and reputation (lack thereof). Do you think doing an audition rotation at one of these programs would help increase my chances of landing a residency in this area?
Hard for me to say, as I don’t have that much insight into the process at these programs. It probably won’t hurt.

I know that the Legacy program is one of the core clinical sites for Western but I’ve also seen other DO students rotating on various services. I do know that OHSU doesn’t allow visiting students to rotate on Gen Med services but they used to allow it on MICU and CCU. Again, can’t comment much on the Providence programs.

anyone with any input on the uconn primary care track for IM? looking forward to any opinions on this program.

Also looking to see if there is anyone that can provide input on the medical colg of georgia/augusta univ IM program and the allehegeny program

Regarding the mid-tier California programs discussed above: UCLA harbor, UCLA olive view, Scripps green, CPMC, and SCVMC

Where do UCI, USC, UCD fall? My current impression is similar/slightly better aka akin to Cedar-Sinai

Regarding the mid-tier California programs discussed above: UCLA harbor, UCLA olive view, Scripps green, CPMC, and SCVMC

Where do UCI, USC, UCD fall? My current impression is similar/slightly better aka akin to Cedar-Sinai

I'd probably place them at roughly the same tier but maybe slightly better than than those programs, but people who have had more training on the west coast might have better insight.

Hey can anyone provide any info on the reputation of this program? All the reviews are very old and very limited info available!

Would really appreciate it

Can anyone provide any info about UT Chatanooga, VTC, and USC-Greenville? Thanks

Was wondering if someone could tell me about their experience with Virginia Mason (Seattle), UT Austin or Kaiser Santa Clara?

I am interested in going into primary care or outpatient fellowship (rheum/sports).

Last edited: