question about Mayo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vsl5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is Mayo considered a top school? Because the more I read about it, the more interested I am but I noticed they are not ranked on the USNews thing (heard they were ~25 before pulling out recently), not that it matters much.
The reason I ask is because I am wondering what they emphasize, research or clinical work? If they are a top school, i would assume they favour research. I have read previous threads (including the "what makes mayo so great" thread) so dont ask me to search the forum. I've been reading mixed opinions, some saying you need alot of research experience to get in, some saying they are more oriented towards clinical work. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

1st post to ask this question.

Interesting.

Depends on who you ask if it is considered a "top school."

I'll put it this way: the people who go there really could care less what others think about the prestige of Mayo.

That really says a lot considering the qualifications of those who go there.

And it really is all that matters.

Oh, and if you look at their website you'll notice they favor the following: clinical practice, education, and research.

:luck: with your school choices!

Is Mayo considered a top school? Because the more I read about it, the more interested I am but I noticed they are not ranked on the USNews thing (heard they were ~25 before pulling out recently), not that it matters much.
The reason I ask is because I am wondering what they emphasize, research or clinical work? If they are a top school, i would assume they favour research. I have read previous threads (including the "what makes mayo so great" thread) so dont ask me to search the forum. I've been reading mixed opinions, some saying you need alot of research experience to get in, some saying they are more oriented towards clinical work. Can someone clarify? Thanks.

As Bamtuba said, being considered a top school really depends on who you're asking and what their criteria are. Mayo emphasizes both research and clinical work. I don't think they lean one way more than the other. If anything, I think they integrate the two (i.e., use research to improve clinical practice). Therefore, there might be more of an emphasis on clinical research than bench research. However, I could be wrong, since I'm not big on research (which leads me to your other question...No, you don't need a lot of research experience to get in.). Good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have to say I ABSOLUTELY love Mayo for no longer participating in the medical school rankings. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that schools are being judged based on how high their students MCATs and GPA are, instead of looking at the quality of the student (which I believe Mayo does).

Regarding your question, Mayo wants students to do both research and clinical practice - so both are important in your application.

They are a top school (well, A. for an amazing program) but B. the Mayo Clinic itself is world-renowned and has alot of prestige. And the hospital is still ranked in US news, ect:

I am pre-med and also have RA, my hand surgeon has referred me to the Mayo Clinic for the possibilty of a wrist surgery...from what I've heard and read, I think Mayo Clinic is an amazing educational institution and healthcare facility.

yea its a really good school. could argue its the best. its kinda niche though in terms of whether or not you would like it there.

I had asked the same kind of questions when I was applying for medical school, so I understand where you are coming from. To answer your question, it is both a research- and clinically-focused school. Nearly every single one of my classmates is involved in multiple research projects and many are getting ready to or already have published papers. The research opportunities, especially in clinical projects but also in basic science laboratories, is almost overwhelming. Not only that, but the consultants here love involving medical students. When I first went hunting for research projects in the spring, the IM program director encouraged me to meet with him to talk about the future. He gave me lists of people to talk to and I ended up finding someone perfect on his list. We are now getting ready to analyze our data and start writing the publication. This kind of individual attention is what really characterizes the student experience here at the clinic.

Academically, the coursework is heavily focused on clinical knowledge. Much of the useless basic science memorization has been purged from our classes, and all of the blocks besides one are led by clinicians. Not only that, but the probably the majority of our professors are involved in writing board questions. This means that we spend our time learning what really matters rather than wasting time memorizing biochemistry pathways that have no clinical or board exam significance.

All in all, I can't imagine getting this level of excellence and attention at another school. If you are even moderately interested in Mayo, take the time to interview here. I think you'll be impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.