SUNY Downstate vs. U Miami

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToujoursMieux

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Everyday, this decision torments me. May 15th is coming soon...

I've been working at Downstate for 2 years now. I have gained a lot of research experience there, and would continue my research with my team if I attend Downstate. I love living in NYC and am finding it so hard to detach myself from this city. However, the student atmosphere at UMiami seems happier than Downstate's (I worked at UM Med school throughout college). The facilities at UMiami are nicer, and for the same rent price I pay in NYC, I can get a really beautiful apartment nearby UMiami. I qualify as a resident of both NY and FL, so it's roughly the same tuition at both schools.

In your opinion, which has the better reputation? Which would you choose given this situation?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Miami, you'll get just as good exposure to diverse patient populations and clinical experience and it's a better school for research. The main draw of DS is the great clinical experience but you'd get equally good exposure at Jackson and um is a little better regarded in general.

Both are good schools, personally I would choose DS because I interviewed there and liked it. But maybe a change of scenery could do you good.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help! I'm leaning more toward UMiami everyday. Any other opinions?

Thanks for your help! I'm leaning more toward UMiami everyday. Any other opinions?

Go to da U!!

I interviewed at both places and liked Miami a whole lot more. It's not much, if any, cheaper to live in Brooklyn, but you get to live way more comfortably at Miami. You'll get great clinical exposure at either place, but Miami should have better resources for research, which is a nice option to have even if you're not looking to get into it for now. Miami's facilities and weather are better too, and, I might be biased here, but your classmates at Miami will be cooler as well ;)

got into and considered both very thoroughly. downstate has great clinical exposure, im also from ny and so it's tempting. miami is cheaper even when you take into consideration ds tuition $< miami $(i'm assuming NYS resident) and miami housing $< brooklyn $

miami will be a much better life unless you hate the student body and/or heat. during the majority of the year when it gets nice and cold in ny it's going to be perfect weather in miami, during the summer it will be hot hot hot. miami just changed their structure and put a ton into research so if you're interested in doing research i would say miami a million times over downstate. you'll find nearly any project (granted not as many as ds because ds has so many places in the city to work with) and a lot more funding for resources.

i hate the heat but for me it would be an easy choice of miami over ds.

it really comes down to where you'll be happy and where you liked the students

also, miami has the additional expense of really needing a car in 3rd and 4th years, keep that in mind. i saw a lot of places the students live and they were absolutely remarkable and paid the same that i do to live in the equivalent of a large closet in NY.

got into and considered both very thoroughly. downstate has great clinical exposure, im also from ny and so it's tempting. miami is cheaper even when you take into consideration ds tuition $< miami $(i'm assuming NYS resident) and miami housing $< brooklyn $

miami will be a much better life unless you hate the student body and/or heat. during the majority of the year when it gets nice and cold in ny it's going to be perfect weather in miami, during the summer it will be hot hot hot. miami just changed their structure and put a ton into research so if you're interested in doing research i would say miami a million times over downstate. you'll find nearly any project (granted not as many as ds because ds has so many places in the city to work with) and a lot more funding for resources.

also, miami has the additional expense of really needing a car in 3rd and 4th years, keep that in mind. i saw a lot of places the students live and they were absolutely remarkable and paid the same that i do to live in the equivalent of a large closet in NY.

All of your suggestions were really helpful!

Sequence, I know what you mean about the housing. I've been searching Craigslist for apts in Park Slope, Brooklyn (where I currently live) vs. Downtown Miami, and there's no comparison. Brooklyn $ > Miami $, and you get such a larger, more luxurious apartment in Miami for a cheaper price. And being a native Miamian, I love the heat and the beach!

I think I'm 90% sure on Miami. Thanks guys!!!

I agree completely, except that I think you need a car period. You need to drive to basically anywhere you wanna go, and asking your roommate/friends to take you around town all the time would be too inconvenient.

Status
Not open for further replies.