You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2021-2022 SUNY, Downstate (Brooklyn)
Started by wysdoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I've submitted things such as my BLS and proof of citizenship through the upload section however nothing has been checked in the prematric checklist. Am I supposed to send it somewhere else? Also how long does it take student health to confirm and mark health forms complete on the checklist?
AthenaTheShadowQueen
Full Member
I've been emailing stuff to admissions!I've submitted things such as my BLS and proof of citizenship through the upload section however nothing has been checked in the prematric checklist. Am I supposed to send it somewhere else? Also how long does it take student health to confirm and mark health forms complete on the checklist?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
bluebunny13!
Full Member
Are you an admitted student or on the AL?I've been emailing stuff to admissions!
AthenaTheShadowQueen
Full Member
The big sad AL, bluebunny!Are you an admitted student or on the AL?
traveler15
Full Member
they really should tell us our scores so we at least have some idea. people need to prepare for reapps or plan to move to other parts of the country.After digging through the SUNY Downstate website (deranged obsessiveness is clearly healthy, as you all can tell) I was able to locate the administrative policies establishing the AL acceptance protocols. I really don't know how to feel about it.
The bad news: after sending out an initial 300 acceptance offers, literally everyone else that interviewed was added to an unranked list. Applicants were then screened based on the scores (scale of 1-5) that they earned during their interviews such that the minimum committee score to qualify for AL placement was 3.0. Applicants were then ranked according to their interview committee scores and grouped into half-point brackets.
AL acceptances are now being issued to applicants in descending order of these committee score brackets, as follows:
4.0+, then 3.5-3.99, then 3.0-3.49.
The good news: many of you will fall into the first two committee score brackets, which I'm hoping is a sign that you'll still have a fighting chance.
So what does this all mean? Two things: first, it confirms that the SUNY Downstate AL is shamefully oversized, to put it gently, and I'm not exactly thrilled to learn this. Second, it means that if you had been placed onto the AL, it's possible that you won't receive any updates on your application until the August 1st matriculation date, where anyone still on the AL will then receive rejections via mass email.
I feel that we have the right to know how we fared in our interviews, and I think that by having our interview scores made available to us, we'd be better-equipped to decide on whether or not we want to stay on the AL. Some people on the lower end of the score range may throw in the towel, and although it'd be a crushing discovery, it would also mean that this application process would come to a conclusion much sooner for everyone else. For those on the higher end of the score range, the knowledge of their interview committee score may offer an iota of reassurance and/or a much-needed confidence boost in their chances for acceptance.
I've tried reaching out SUNY Downstate this morning to ask for my interview score so that I could have a better idea of where I stood on the AL. I didn't think it would be such a tall order; I really just wanted a single numerical score. Although their response times are usually quick, I'm presently still waiting for any sort of response. They might get back to me later this week, but for some weird reason, I have this gut feeling that I was deliberately ignored by the admissions staff.
Edit: SUNY Downstate just flat-out refused to disclose my own score to me. Charming.
bluebunny13!
Full Member
Does anyone know how recent the blood work and physical exam need to be?
Has that been uploading to the checklist?I've been emailing stuff to admissions!
bluebunny13!
Full Member
Was wondering the same thing. Maybe passport or social security card?Does anyone know what exactly they want for proof of citizenship? Can't find any specific information on the portal or website.
AthenaTheShadowQueen
Full Member
Yes! And, for proof of citizenship - I think a birth certificate is enough!Has that been uploading to the checklist?
I emailed and uploaded but it has not updated in the checklist.Has that been uploading to the checklist?
oat_milk_latte
New Member
Was wondering the same thing. Maybe passport or social security card?
I emailed asking if a passport works and they said yes
Thank you! Did you email a copy of this straight to admissions?I emailed asking if a passport works and they said yes
oat_milk_latte
New Member
Thank you! Did you email a copy of this straight to admissions?
Yes and they checked it off immediately! I recommend emailing them things if possible or for example w/transcripts since it’s sent to them by a third party following up with an email to confirm they received it.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
AthenaTheShadowQueen
Full Member
Has there been a pattern in terms of time of day that people get emails taking them off the AL?
lol yeh i need to know this as wellHas there been a pattern in terms of time of day that people get emails taking them off the AL?
traveler15
Full Member
maybe im wrong but it seems like between 10-12Has there been a pattern in terms of time of day that people get emails taking them off the AL?
biggkahuna
Full Member
The previous person on the thread to have been accepted off of AL said 3 weeks I believe... and it also seems as if everyone who has gotten in off of the AL was originally placed on the AL on that mass AL day in late Aprilmaybe im wrong but it seems like between 10-12
traveler15
Full Member
ya i agree with that. I meant time of day people received acceptance emails. like 10am to 12pm.The previous person on the thread to have been accepted off of AL said 3 weeks I believe... and it also seems as if everyone who has gotten in off of the AL was originally placed on the AL on that mass AL day in late April
Looks like no news today 🙁
traveler15
Full Member
I put a manual address and used the med admissions email as the recipient. they said they were received.Starting to send my transcripts in, wondering if anyone else's school uses Parchment and if so did you select "SUNY Downstate Medical Center" to send it to?
I feel like it depends on your situation. If you have an acceptance elsewhere then it’s prob not worth it. If you have no acceptance like me or if Downstate is ur top choice then it’s prob worth to do as much as you can to increase ur chances no matter how slim.Is any alternates really doing the physical exam, quantiferon/PPD, bloodwork? I feel like that's a lot to ask for a waitlisted applicant with no idea of their ranking on the WL.
Anybody know how many kids are in the Downstate FB group?.
Edit: nvm i googled it... 330
Edit: nvm i googled it... 330
Last edited:
traveler15
Full Member
is that just the class of 2026?Anybody know how many kids are in the Downstate FB group chat?.
Edit: nvm i googled it... 330
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
yeh the FB group class of 2026 is 330. damis that just the class of 2026?
traveler15
Full Member
oh 🙁 I hope there is more waitlist movement but it doesn't look likelyyeh the FB group class of 2026 is 330. dam
please greatwhiteshark, eat me. I am seal now 🙁oh 🙁 I hope there is more waitlist movement but it doesn't look likely
AthenaTheShadowQueen
Full Member
Wait wait wait, I just looked at that group - 330 members, but no new people in the last week? Something is off here. I wonder if it's a page that gets reused, and there are old members on it as well. Because 330 is way bigger than their class size anyways, and people are even still waiting to hear back from other spots too.
there is no 2025 group but a 2024 one. :OWait wait wait, I just looked at that group - 330 members, but no new people in the last week? Something is off here. I wonder if it's a page that gets reused, and there are old members on it as well. Because 330 is way bigger than their class size anyways, and people are even still waiting to hear back from other spots too.
The Downstate 2024 group has 295 members.
traveler15
Full Member
is it possible it's a facebook group for the other downstate programs as well, not just medicine, or is it just for the medical school.The Downstate 2024 group has 295 members.
Yo, this group was created back in 7/31/2018. FALSE ALARM FOLKS! LOOOL It looks like group is being recycled every year pretty much.
So what do we think then? maybe class is at 90% capacity? 180/200?
Last edited:
traveler15
Full Member
I wish i knew, but i have no idea.So what do we think then? maybe class is at 90% capacity? 190/200?
sorry to hear that 🙁 i wouldn't place too much weight on that, all AL emails said thatI was placed on AL yesterday and the email said the class was full.
I have another A, so no worries! lolsorry to hear that 🙁 i wouldn't place too much weight on that, all AL emails said that
congrats!I have another A, so no worries! lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Cakerusklvr
New Member
Interviewed 4/11
Placed on AL 5/2
Accepted 5/10
I don't know if this has been answered before, but are there any groups for the class of 2026?
Placed on AL 5/2
Accepted 5/10
I don't know if this has been answered before, but are there any groups for the class of 2026?
Dam I think it might be a wrap for me lol
AthenaTheShadowQueen
Full Member
What is that ridiculous saying? It ain't over till the fat lady sings? Well, that!Dam I think it might be a wrap for me lol
D
deleted1132201
I do believe she is tuning her vocal chords as we speak...What is that ridiculous saying? It ain't over till the fat lady sings? Well, that!
traveler15
Full Member
they really need to just let us know our interview scores so we know if we are close to the top or not.