2022-2023 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was accepted off the waitlist for MD-MPH last week. Super excited since this is my top choice!!!
Congrats!! :) did they call you or email you? and what time of day did you get the notification? sorry for the questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone get off the WL recently? or have any idea about the timeline for movement at this school
If you email dean Weismann, he’ll tell you roughly where you are on the waitlist. Doesn’t really answer your question, but I hope it helps!

• Care
If you email dean Weismann, he’ll tell you roughly where you are on the waitlist. Doesn’t really answer your question, but I hope it helps!
Thank you for this tip! I want to send an email asking but I’m nervous lol. Would it be a bad idea to mention other acceptances when asking? Bc that’s mostly why I want to know. I have other acceptances but Miami is my top choice

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for this tip! I want to send an email asking but I’m nervous lol. Would it be a bad idea to mention other acceptances when asking? Bc that’s mostly why I want to know. I have other acceptances but Miami is my top choice
I’m sure that would be fine to mention! I don’t know if it’ll make a difference one way or another unless you send a letter of intent

• Care
I’m sure that would be fine to mention! I don’t know if it’ll make a difference one way or another unless you send a letter of intent
Already sent a letter of intent lol 😜 thank you!

Update: he responded very quickly and pretty specifically. Total game-changer!!
I also emailed him a week and a half ago and he replied within 20 mins, he said “I am optimistic that you have a good chance of gaining acceptance from the alternate list.” did he say something similar to you or was yours more specific w a time frame or something?

I also emailed him a week and a half ago and he replied within 20 mins, he said “I am optimistic that you have a good chance of gaining acceptance from the alternate list.” did he say something similar to you or was yours more specific w a time frame or something?
He said "You are in the top half of the alternate list. I am hopeful that we will be able to offer you a seat when vacancies occur during the first week of May."

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
He said "You are in the top half of the alternate list. I am hopeful that we will be able to offer you a seat when vacancies occur during the first week of May."
That’s great!! Looks like they’re expecting movement first week of may then. Do you guys think the reply he gave me is less positive or equally positive? he didn’t say anything about what section of the list I’m on. just “good chance”. trying hard not to overanalyze lol

• Love
That’s great!! Looks like they’re expecting movement first week of may then. Do you guys think the reply he gave me is less positive or equally positive? he didn’t say anything about what section of the list I’m on. just “good chance”. trying hard not to overanalyze lol
I think both sound about the same to me

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a similar message to you. He said I was in the top half and they are hopeful to give me a seat the first week of May or before so lets pray

• Love
also got an A today! to those who were accepted, do we have to reply to today's email to accept our seat in the class or do you only need to reply to the formal acceptance email when it comes?

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
also got an A today! to those who were accepted, do we have to reply to today's email to accept our seat in the class or do you only need to reply to the formal acceptance email when it comes?
Omg congrats!!!! Do u mind sharing when u interviewed and when u were placed on waitlist?

I just responded to the email we got yesterday

Does anyone know of there is a group chat or page for accepted students looking for a roommate?

Withdrew my application/acceptance yesterday! Best of luck to the many deserving applicants on the waitlist!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know when we should expect to hear about merit scholarships, like how long after acceptance? I’m only submitting the form now lol, so I hope that doesn’t delay things too much

I emailed Dean Weisman and he let me know that I am "very near the top half of the waitlist," and that hes hopeful I could be accepted before or after May 1 when vacancies open up. So... I'm not in the top half but I guess very close to it. Anybody have any guesses on whether I should be optimistic or not?

• Care
Off topic but did anyone ever receive a pre-II R? I’m thinking of sending an email telling them how unprofessional they are for ghosting us…

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know how merit scholarships work here? Do we need to apply for anything or do they grant them automatically?

How does this sound?

To Whom It May Concern:

I was recently made aware of the fact that the last interview day for the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine was on March 10th, and I have still not received a rejection email. Out of the 24 schools I applied to this cycle, this was the only one that I never heard back from. Even though I got offers from other schools, not everyone was as fortunate as me, and I'm sure that they would have appreciated hearing back about their admissions decision as soon as it was known.

I am writing this email to bring attention to how disappointing I found this conduct to be, and I hope that efforts will be made to avoid making the process more stressful than it already is for applicants in the future.

Reactions: 10 users
How does this sound?

To Whom It May Concern:

I was recently made aware of the fact that the last interview day for the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine was on March 10th, and I have still not received a rejection email. Out of the 24 schools I applied to this cycle, this was the only one that I never heard back from. Even though I got offers from other schools, not everyone was as fortunate as me, and I'm sure that they would have appreciated hearing back about their admissions decision as soon as it was known.

I am writing this email to bring attention to how disappointing I found this conduct to be, and I hope that efforts will be made to avoid making the process more stressful than it already is for applicants in the future.
I totally understand the frustration of not hearing anything back but I'm happy that you've gotten multiple offers! While I'm sure that it would be cathartic to send that email, adcoms talk and I'd be warry about putting something into the grapevine you might not want to pop back up in the future. Why not bask in the glow of your existing offers and start planning some summer trips? That seems like much more fun :)

For those of y'all who get into Miami, please pay it forward and ask the adcom to change that policy. You guys have the pull to make that change! Also, CONGRATS!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
How does this sound?

To Whom It May Concern:

I love u

• Love
I totally understand the frustration of not hearing anything back but I'm happy that you've gotten multiple offers! While I'm sure that it would be cathartic to send that email, adcoms talk and I'd be warry about putting something into the grapevine you might not want to pop back up in the future. Why not bask in the glow of your existing offers and start planning some summer trips? That seems like much more fun :)

For those of y'all who get into Miami, please pay it forward and ask the adcom to change that policy. You guys have the pull to make that change! Also, CONGRATS!
I appreciate you saying that! I still ended up sending the email because I realize I have the privilege of being in a position to say something without fearing repercussions as opposed to someone who may reapply and won't want to risk pissing off the adcom at UMiami. I also don't see it as any different as voicing a concern if one felt disrespected during an interview, since both instances of speaking out have the potential to make the admissions process better for everyone involved. Also, since med schools have made "student wellness" a priority as of late, this would be a great opportunity to protect optics and fulfill this mission!

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know how long after being accepted you receive your "official" acceptance email?

I’m a current student here. Honestly, the student culture is not collaborative. We’re all stressed about doing well on exams since we’re graded against each other. our averages are pretty high so if you get below the median, even if it’s an 85 or a 90, you’re still doing bad. Admin is not supportive of students. A lot of us find that certain cohorts get advantages over others which creates tension in the class. We’ve also relayed concerns about our curriculum - particularly about mandatory lectures and 8am classes, but they’ve gone ignored.

Great…

I’m a current student here. Honestly, the student culture is not collaborative. We’re all stressed about doing well on exams since we’re graded against each other. our averages are pretty high so if you get below the median, even if it’s an 85 or a 90, you’re still doing bad. Admin is not supportive of students. A lot of us find that certain cohorts get advantages over others which creates tension in the class. We’ve also relayed concerns about our curriculum - particularly about mandatory lectures and 8am classes, but they’ve gone ignored.
This is super contrary to what Ive heard from other students (both at the second look and through personal friends). I’d take anonymous posts (especially from someone who created their SDN account yesterday) with a grain of salt

Reactions: 9 users
This is super contrary to what Ive heard from other students (both at the second look and through personal friends). I’d take anonymous posts (especially from someone who created their SDN account yesterday) with a grain of salt
Yeah I was going to say, I have a friend who’s an M1 and she says it’s a very collaborative environment and that the admin tends to be very approachable

Reactions: 5 users
I would like to second this. I know 2 med students there who are loving it and very non-competitive people

• Love
Reactions: 7 users