2022-2023 Miami (Miller)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @runner31 for sharing this year's essay prompts

2022-2023 Miami (Miller) Secondary Essay Prompts
All responses should be less than 500 words each.

1. What have you done during the recent COVID-19 pandemic that will better prepare you to be a medical student and future physician?
2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
8. What have you done to help identify, address and correct an issue of systemic discrimination?
9. [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc. OR [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
10. [OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
11. [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
12. [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

For reapplicants (if applicable):
If you applied previously, describe how you have strengthened your candidacy since your last application?

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
University of Miami Miller School of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

OOS Secondary received as well.

All responses should be less than 500 words each.

1. What have you done during the recent COVID-19 pandemic that will better prepare you to be a medical student and future physician?
2. Why have you selected the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine for your medical education? Please be as specific as possible.
3. Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing.
4. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering.
5. Please discuss a situation where you had to use your leadership skills.
6. Please briefly discuss your research experience.
7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
8. What have you done to help identify, address and correct an issue of systemic discrimination?
9. [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of any activities involving the FINE ARTS (dance, drama, music, art, photography, etc. OR [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of any activities involving SPORTS (organized team sports, recreational activities that you play, watch or follow)
10. [OPTIONAL] Describe your most meaningful involvement in STUDENT ORGANIZATIONS.
11. [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of your most memorable TRAVEL experience.
12. [OPTIONAL] Provide a description of your HOBBIES and what you do for fun and relaxation.

For reapplicants (if applicable):
If you applied previously, describe how you have strengthened your candidacy since your last application?

When they ask for a chronological list, do they want it listed latest started to most recent? Or they want it in reverse chronological like a resume? Sorry if this is dumb

When they ask for a chronological list, do they want it listed latest started to most recent? Or they want it in reverse chronological like a resume? Sorry if this is dumb
I would list it "first things first" (regular chronological order)

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my secondary but portal is saying they haven't received my letters of recommendation from AMCAS - is anyone else running into this issue?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do they mean by highest composite score for MCAT?

when it asks do describe our research experience is it asking what our actual research was or how in general was it (like interacting with other research assistants or learning how to work in a team environment, etc.)?

do they require duet and snapshot, or just casper?

this is dumb but how should these descriptions differ from the ones on our primary?
Their PDF explaining the secondary states they would like a "brief" description - so in my primary I used stories, in this I am literally writing less than one sentence about what I did

Their PDF explaining the secondary states they would like a "brief" description - so in my primary I used stories, in this I am literally writing less than one sentence about what I did
I agree, any time they say "list" or "briefly describe" you will not need to write an essay, keep it concise

What do they mean by highest composite score for MCAT?
It makes almost no sense, but if you have multiple attempts I believe they use the highest score in each section and Frankenstein them together. I feel this is unfair to people who only took the test once, but I fall into that category, so maybe my bias is showing.

It makes almost no sense, but if you have multiple attempts I believe they use the highest score in each section and Frankenstein them together. I feel this is unfair to people who only took the test once, but I fall into that category, so maybe my bias is showing.
I would interpret "composite score" as the total score (not sub scores)
What you are describing is "super scoring" like some colleges would do for your SAT tests.
Are there any MD schools that superscore??
(edited to add: apparently Vandy, GT and MCW may superscore)

Last edited:
What you are describing is "super scoring" like some colleges would do for your SAT tests.
I believe Vanderbilt says that they do.

Just submitted my secondary. Also showing that my letters are have not been received by AMCAS. Will try to follow up with their admissions office and see if thats a mistake. All my letters were in before my AMCAS processed so must be.

I tried to be pretty concise for all the questions besides the "why us" question and like one or two more where I went into detail. Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted my secondary but portal is saying they haven't received my letters of recommendation from AMCAS - is anyone else running into this issue?
Yup same. Probably just have to wait a few days.

If we have clinical experience that is also community service/volunteer (volunteer EMT) should it be listed in BOTH "
Please provide a chronological list with dates AND a brief description of your clinical experiences/shadowing" and "
Please provide a chronological list with dates of your community service/volunteering."

Reactions: 2 users

This question is driving me crazy... What are some of you guys' thoughts on correcting issues?

This question is driving me crazy... What are some of you guys' thoughts on correcting issues?
I saw this in another thread but I think this can be as simple as if you heard someone make a racist, sexist, or homophobic comment and intervened, A time you personally recognized an injustice and tried to correct it, have you done any activities that have provided to a population that was dealing with systemic discriminiation and addressed it in those activities?

For "Please briefly discuss your research experience" how consice should this be given 500 word max.

Also, is it better to approach what I did on my research projects or what I learned/how they shaped my goals to be a physician?

(edited to add: apparently Vandy, GT and MCW may superscore)
Ah I see. My mistake.

Anyone marked complete for the application yet? My letters are still listed as "not received."

My letters are now received- application complete.

Hey what's up everyone. I'm an MS4 here (not involved with admissions) and happy to answer any questions y'all have about the school! Loved my time here and extremely satisfied with the quality of my medical education thus far

For the chronological lists and descriptions, are y'all adding a sentence or two after each experience or just a few sentences at the end for all your experiences?

holy cow that was a doozy i hope it pays off because through my research i REALLY want to go to this school

Is it a disadvantage to not answer the optional question about meaningful student organizations? I feel like I will end up repeating my clubs that are listed in my work and activities section.

for the chronological list are you guys doing it in paragraph form or bulleted list? Also do you guys think its ok to put a little takeaway sentence or two at the end of each experience?

Does anybody know if we can repeat information from our primaries for talking about hobbies?

for 7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
should we include high school employment or just post high school?

Does anybody know if we can repeat information from our primaries for talking about hobbies?
I think it's generally best practice not to explicitly repeat primary information unless you are expounding on it from a different angle or far, far beyond what you did in the primary.
for 7. Please provide a chronological list with dates of your employment.
should we include high school employment or just post high school?
I've been told that for med school apps, people generally only care about high school and after. Haven't heard specifically from Miami though, just as a general rule. I only described post-HS employment in mine.

Is it a disadvantage to not answer the optional question about meaningful student organizations? I feel like I will end up repeating my clubs that are listed in my work and activities section.
Totally up to you, though I would answer it. If you feel like it's repetitive then yeah maybe you shouldn't, but there's no reason to sell yourself short by not answering a prompt.

Does anyone know where to upload your photo? I don't see a link or section where I can upload a photo on the secondary.

Does anyone know where to upload your photo? I don't see a link or section where I can upload a photo on the secondary.
If you haven't found it already, if you go back to the portal after you submitted your payment, there's an option for uploading your photo there, along with the application status.

I guess not, I just submitted mine too and everything looks checked off but I have not received an email.

Does anyone know — if we are supposed to include a description with our list of community service/volunteering and employment?

Because question 3 explicitly states to list clinical experiences/shadowing AND brief description. But questions 4 and 7 about community service and employment say to write a chronological list, but do not EXPLICITLY say to also write a brief description. So do we write a description for these questions, or not?

Does anyone know — if we are supposed to include a description with our list of community service/volunteering and employment?

Because question 3 explicitly states to list clinical experiences/shadowing AND brief description. But questions 4 and 7 about community service and employment say to write a chronological list, but do not EXPLICITLY say to also write a brief description. So do we write a description for these questions, or not?
I personally just followed the directions literally and only listed for the community service and employment questions.

I wrote a brief description b/c it said to in the PDF they sent with the secondary. They said
"When asked for a chronologic list, please list start and stop dates along with a brief description
of the activity" This is bullet point 6 on the Secondary Application Instruction PDF sent with the secondary email