**The Med Schools of Massachusetts Thread**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thestudent

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to start up this thread to talk about medical schools in MA. Post any info about MA schools or your experiences so far with Harvard, BU, UMass or Tufts.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does Harvard have a student hosting program?

Interviewed at Tufts... great school, the students are really really happy to be there and really willing to work together instead of being cut-throat competitive, which is nice. The facilities are nice enough, and I think the location is great. Their dorm housing apparently (we didn't see it) kind of stinks, so many students recommend finding roommates and housing on your own (if you have that option your first year...) The main thing that is a major drawback is the cost, and thats pretty daunting. They give a nice honest financial presentation during the interview day... so I suppose that was good of them

Yeah, Tufts is currently THE most expensive medical school in the country. I have an acceptance from them (for which I am so incredibly grateful), it's just that at this point, anything else would be a better deal.

Good thread.

UMass was my first interview. The school seemed good, the students seemed happy to be there, and it's very high on my list. I haven't gotten a decision from them yet, and as far as I know nobody else has either.

Tufts was my second interview. I'll echo Windchime's assessment - I came away from my interview day impressed with (and excited about) the school. Cost is definitely a consideration. But I'm a nontrad, and one nice thing about Tufts is that I wouldn't have to move to go to Tufts. I could take the commuter rail and T in from my house in the 'burbs. I'm on "Active Consideration" at Tufts, so we'll see what happens...

I've got an interview scheduled at BU in a few weeks. I'll probably keep it unless I get some especially good acceptances before them, but the transportation concern Lennybruce mentioned goes for me too. I don't want to deal with fighting traffic to drive in (been there, done that), and the public transit options to BU aren't appealing.

And I'm still waiting for an interview invite from Harvard.

sweet thread.

i've interviewed at UMass (9/19) and Tufts (10/3) and got rejected at BU (damn early which was sort of a shock?). I haven't heard back from UMass yet, but Tufts did say they'd let my interview group know sometime in early November. Between Tufts and Umass it's a tough call for me. I know i'll be studying like crazy, but I'd really like to stay near Boston (I currently work at Children's and live in Davis Sq.) and that wouldn't be possible if I went to UMass. On the other hand Umass would be a sweet deal and it's a great school in a relatively nice area of Worcester (Solomon Pond Mall anyone?). I really hope I get one of them, if I do get both I would most likely withdraw from any other future interviews, I couldn't live more than 60 miles from the sox :p

Keep it up guys, I'm sure everyone will get in somewhere and be happy :)

Yeah, Tufts is currently THE most expensive medical school in the country. I have an acceptance from them (for which I am so incredibly grateful), it's just that at this point, anything else would be a better deal.

Tufts is the second most expensive in the country. GDub is more expensive.

Tufts is the second most expensive in the country. GDub is more expensive.

I'm probably missing something, but the MSAR has Tufts at $44,700 and George Washington at $42,800. The funny thing that is we can potentially pay higher. If you go to a state school in another state, then it can be huge. 70,000+ for out of state at Colorado. crazy.

Also. How are you class of 2013 at Tufts? expecting to take a year off, doing a PHD, etc?

I'm probably missing something, but the MSAR has Tufts at $44,700 and George Washington at $42,800. The funny thing that is we can potentially pay higher. If you go to a state school in another state, then it can be huge. 70,000+ for out of state at Colorado. crazy.

Also. How are you class of 2013 at Tufts? expecting to take a year off, doing a PHD, etc?

Hmm, the pre-med advisor told us this year that Tufts was less expensive than G-Dub...

Anyway, about Tufts. I was accepted to their BA/MD Early Assurance Program that you apply for as a sophomore from one of the undergraduate schools they accept students from. It requires that you have completed certain courses by the time you are accepted, and you go through a whole application and interview process. The best part is it isn't binding, which makes me wonder why so few students from my university do not apply. The only real disadvantage is that you need to have your act together a year and a half before regular applicants go through the cycle. My MCAT is not a factor now that I was accepted, but I am still studying for the January exam (which is on my 21st birthday) :p

Question. What are you planning to do if you can into a really nice school outside of Mass. Excluding Harvard, say you feel comfortable at BU, tufts, or umass; would you trade that for a Johns hopkins? Does standing really matter compared to comfort?

Good question. I'm not sure how to answer it, but I am sure my decision will come down to figuring this one out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more than a little concerned cause umass has still not invited me, despite being complete on 7/23. Are they waiting for a letter of intent from me?? I thought state schools don't do that stuff.

Tufts-too expensive, not all that impressive at least from the first look. Unless they offer something amazing in terms of fin aid, probably won't be going there.
BU-no invite, probably rejection.

I just wanted to start up this thread to talk about medical schools in MA. Post any info about MA schools or your experiences so far with Harvard, BU, UMass or Tufts.

Very excited about my interview at Tufts! I don't expect to get into Harvard, but I was a bit ticked at UMass. Apparently the years of advanced chemistry, physics, and biology I took at Caltech and the grad degree I have don't make up for the fact that my freshman courses were taken pass fail _as required_. I guess they just don't take MIT or Caltech folks. You'd think that since most med schools have a pass/fail first year they'd understand.

Ah well. UMass was my "backup".

does anyone know whether the status page will change from 'complete' to 'under review' --or whether complete = under review?!

you guys are all way ahead of me--exciting interviews!! lots of :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: to you all

Very excited about my interview at Tufts! I don't expect to get into Harvard, but I was a bit ticked at UMass. Apparently the years of advanced chemistry, physics, and biology I took at Caltech and the grad degree I have don't make up for the fact that my freshman courses were taken pass fail _as required_. I guess they just don't take MIT or Caltech folks. You'd think that since most med schools have a pass/fail first year they'd understand.

Ah well. UMass was my "backup".

There are quite a handful of MIT kids at UMass...the admissions office explicitly told you they wouldn't accept your advance science credit in lieu of your freshmen courses?

There are quite a handful of MIT kids at UMass...the admissions office explicitly told you they wouldn't accept your advance science credit in lieu of your freshmen courses?

Yup. Of course, I'm a little more complicated than that. All of my pure science courses are more than six years old which is their cutoff. My MPH didn't get me squat. I had hoped that work experience would count for something, but apparently it doesn't.

does anyone know whether the status page will change from 'complete' to 'under review' --or whether complete = under review?!

you guys are all way ahead of me--exciting interviews!! lots of :luck::luck::luck::luck::luck: to you all

You will go from complete to something like "emailed invitation to interview". I did not get any change to under review and was complete for quite a while.

Hmm, the pre-med advisor told us this year that Tufts was less expensive than G-Dub...

Anyway, about Tufts. I was accepted to their BA/MD Early Assurance Program that you apply for as a sophomore from one of the undergraduate schools they accept students from. It requires that you have completed certain courses by the time you are accepted, and you go through a whole application and interview process. The best part is it isn't binding, which makes me wonder why so few students from my university do not apply. The only real disadvantage is that you need to have your act together a year and a half before regular applicants go through the cycle. My MCAT is not a factor now that I was accepted, but I am still studying for the January exam (which is on my 21st birthday) :p

How do you like Brandeis?

I interviewed at Harvard and Tufts in the beginning of October. Loved HMS despite my preconceptions that made me hesitate to even apply. HMS is currently in my top three. Tufts was okay. As others have said, it is extremely expensive and is lacking in opportunities compared to HMS as far as MA schools go. I can't really comment on BU or UMass. I'm still waiting to hear back from HMS (non-rolling) and I have been rejected from Tufts.

MY NP interview is tomorrow. I'm so nervous....

Well actually, if you went to MSU as an out of stater, tuition is MUCH higher - for all 4 years. :eek:

I sent in my secondary to Tufts in Mid August...haven't heard anything one way or the other...my stats are borderline...ne 1 know when I might hear by?

I sent in my secondary to Tufts in Mid August...haven't heard anything one way or the other...my stats are borderline...ne 1 know when I might hear by?

love this story. friend of mine 2 years ago got a tufts interview in late january and was accepted 2 weeks later.