Touro - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you are on the high waitlist, you have a good chance of getting in.

Members don't see this ad.

So what are they going to do about the rotation situation?

How do I know if I'm on the high waitlisted? Has anyone heard anything back yet regarding the MSMHS program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I read the reviews for Touro on Yelp just to see what people on there said, and the filtered reviews were consistent with the issues of haphazard rotations. They also mentioned how racist and "Republican" the faculty and staff were, and just overall poor quality of the school. Does this still hold true today or do others think it has improved? Or are the filtered reviews on Yelp exaggerated? If it hasn't improved, then perhaps I should focus more attention on getting into other DO schools while working on the MSMHS...? I didn't even see a student store on campus when I visited, but then again it was after 4pm on a Friday when everything seemed closed.

I read the reviews for Touro on Yelp just to see what people on there said, and the filtered reviews were consistent with the issues of haphazard rotations. They also mentioned how racist and "Republican" the faculty and staff were, and just overall poor quality of the school. Does this still hold true today or do others think it has improved? Or are the filtered reviews on Yelp exaggerated? If it hasn't improved, then perhaps I should focus more attention on getting into other DO schools while working on the MSMHS...? I didn't even see a student store on campus when I visited, but then again it was after 4pm on a Friday when everything seemed closed.

I don't see how rotations could get much worse than they are now. One of my friends got a call at 7:30 AM Monday while he was driving that his rotation wasn't going to be at X hospital but actually at one almost 1.5 hours away. He was of course late, and his preceptor didn't believe him when he told him he was just notified he would be doing his rotations there.

I don't see how rotations could get much worse than they are now. One of my friends got a call at 7:30 AM Monday while he was driving that his rotation wasn't going to be at X hospital but actually at one almost 1.5 hours away. He was of course late, and his preceptor didn't believe him when he told him he was just notified he would be doing his rotations there.

I got the secondary invite today!!! Check your inboxes!

Hey if you have received your secondary invite would you mind sharing some stats :) Thanks.

Sure, no problem

3.86 science gpa
3.78 non-science gpa
27R was my highest MCAT (3rd time)
Non-traditional
URM

I don't know what their screening criteria is, but maybe this info helps you. I hope you get an invite soon! Best of luck to you!

Edit: I forgot to tell you that my legal state of residency is Montana

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
why do you say so?

The design of it is bare bones basic; and what's with the multiple boxes for one question? Does each box have a character limit? I'm curious as to how the secondary will print since I doubt text that extends beyond what is visible in the boxes will print.

*edit: just noticed it said you could attach additional pages if you want.

I think I'm going to have to look at the 2011-2012 thread to see what they did.

The design of it is bare bones basic; and what's with the multiple boxes for one question? Does each box have a character limit? I'm curious as to how the secondary will print since I doubt text that extends beyond what is visible in the boxes will print.

*edit: just noticed it said you could attach additional pages if you want.

I think I'm going to have to look at the 2011-2012 thread to see what they did.

Yeah that confused and frustrated me too.

I'm looking for advice. What is the difference between:

"Why should we accept you?"

and

"Describe why you can become an outstanding osteopathic physician?"

I paraphrased the secondary questions, of course. I thought that I should be accepted because I can become an outstanding osteopathic physician. I wrote one essay and i'm not sure what else to write for the other!

thanks.

AACOMAS released 6/28 but no secondary email yet. :(

Im just about to start at Touro in a few weeks! My tip for all of you who havnt heard about secondaries is to email Lynn Huckle, [email protected]. After I emailed to check up on my application I received my secondary the same day and I know that to be true for others as well. Good luck everyone!

Im just about to start at Touro in a few weeks! My tip for all of you who havnt heard about secondaries is to email Lynn Huckle, [email protected]. After I emailed to check up on my application I received my secondary the same day and I know that to be true for others as well. Good luck everyone!

do they screen before sending out secondaries?

and

I paraphrased the secondary questions, of course. I thought that I should be accepted because I can become an outstanding osteopathic physician. I wrote one essay and i'm not sure what else to write for the other!

thanks.

bump.

is this an appropriate question to ask the admissions office?

and

thanks.

There's no difference...it's opened ended. No need to ask the office for that.

On a separate note, my file is compete here! Waiting game begins here too...I'd love to check this school out.

There's no difference...it's opened ended. No need to ask the office for that.

On a separate note, my file is compete here! Waiting game begins here too...I'd love to check this school out.

really.

don't you find it strange to ask two questions that are nearly identical?

Wow, thank you for all the information. I don't think I'll be filling out the secondary now that I know about the rotations.

Can someone who has received secondary confirm that the prompts are the same as the ones on this link visit:http://admissions.tu.edu/com/TUCAsupapp.htm

1. Awards, Work, Volunteer Re-List
2. Explain why you have chosen to apply to Touro?
3. Why should the admission committee accept you into this year's class?

Last edited:
As far as I know the screen only for minimum requirements in mcat and gpa. I'm not sure what the min is this year but I'm sure you can find it on tu.edu

You just have to figure out how to write answers to them. Don't over think it too much. You can use the two questions as more space for a more complete answer if you see them as the same question. good luck!

Secondary received email, now I'm just waiting on LOR's to get in. Should be in Monday according for FedEx. I really wish everyone would just switch to electronic :rolleyes:

has anyone been given a secondary invite recently? For those who received it, how many days after your primary was released , did you get one?

has anyone been given a secondary invite recently? For those who received it, how many days after your primary was released , did you get one?

I was released 7/12 and got the secondary on 7/31.

If anyone else is having trouble paying their application fee like I am, I just spoke with someone on the phone and apparently they're having a technical issue. They said to keep trying until it works.

Also, a quick question for you guys: on the secondary, it asks if you have previously applied to TUCOM before. I applied to Touro's MSMHS program last year, but this will be my first time applying to the DO program. What do I answer for this question? I guess I'm confused if "TUCOM" means the general school or just the DO program in particular.

Edit: For anyone else looking for this answer, I emailed admissions and they said that this question specifically pertains to the DO program. So previous applicants to the master's program would still mark "No" here.

Last edited:
So how are we supposed to fill this application out? Do you just fill it out and then print it? What are the character limits for the essay question boxes?

And for the essays to be written on a separate page, do they want one page for each question, or one page total?

I typed in the boxes on the application and printed, typed and printed my essays, signed the application, scanned it all to a .PDF and emailed it to Lynn Huckle.

Just got an status update email, I'm missing my physicians letter which i had sent via interfolio July 20th... How annoying!

Got a status complete email today. Come on Interview...

So for the "why should we accept you into this year's class?" question, there is space for literally only one or two sentences. What should I make of it?

Edit: They said you can attach another sheet if you need more space. Did any of you guys do this, or did you just stick to the space they gave you?

Last edited:
Also, how should it look when you print it? I tried printing it and it doesn't look very organized.

Hey guys, I just received my secondary today from this school. It's my top choice and was wondering if anyone has received an interview invite from them yet? It seems like this thread isn't getting much traffic these days. Are people not as interested due to the fear of poor clinical rotations?

Hey guys, I just received my secondary today from this school. It's my top choice and was wondering if anyone has received an interview invite from them yet? It seems like this thread isn't getting much traffic these days. Are people not as interested due to the fear of poor clinical rotations?

How long did it take to receive the secondary after your primary was released? Seems like it's taking maybe a couple of weeks?

But to answer your question, from what I've read on here regarding their poor communication and general structure for rotations, I'm still considering as to whether or not it's worth sending in a secondary whenever I do receive one. Personally, I wouldn't spend a couple hours driving to and fro just for rotations every day. Even though the downfall of some (most?) D.O. schools is that you have to set up some (or all) of your clinical sites, most of the schools I have read about don't jerk you around the way Touro-CA does. Once you get a site, you seem to be set with other schools, even if you happen to need multiple locations to fulfill all of your rotations. It really worries me that if I were accepted and chose to go here that I would spend around $160,000 for the first 2 years and then not be guaranteed anything after that.

However, this is just my opinion and I'm not discouraging anyone who plans to send in their secondary or bashing on anyone who already has. I hope their administration gets their act together soon

To my knowledge, no one has gotten an interview invite yet. I was complete on 8/1.

finally got the secondary, but the $100 is making me think twice considering all the bad things I have heard about rotations. don't know what to do.

How long did it take to receive the secondary after your primary was released? Seems like it's taking maybe a couple of weeks?

I was released 7/26 and finally got my secondary on 8/10, so that was 11 business days. I received secondaries from most schools in July. I still haven't heard from Touro New York or Nevada. I wonder why Touro lags.

. . .
But to answer your question, from what I've read on here regarding their poor communication and general structure for rotations, I'm still considering as to whether or not it's worth sending in a secondary whenever I do receive one. Personally, I wouldn't spend a couple hours driving to and fro just for rotations every day. Even though the downfall of some (most?) D.O. schools is that you have to set up some (or all) of your clinical sites, most of the schools I have read about don't jerk you around the way Touro-CA does. Once you get a site, you seem to be set with other schools, even if you happen to need multiple locations to fulfill all of your rotations. It really worries me that if I were accepted and chose to go here that I would spend around $160,000 for the first 2 years and then not be guaranteed anything after that.

However, this is just my opinion and I'm not discouraging anyone who plans to send in their secondary or bashing on anyone who already has. I hope their administration gets their act together soon

I'm on the same page. I was initially very excited to apply here; but after learning about all of the problems with rotations and taking a few weeks to mull it over, I'm ~90% sure I'll no longer be applying here. :-(