Touro COM - New York, Harlem Campus (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Touro doesn't specify what the minimum cutoff is for a secondary, can someone please tell me? I've asked this question evrywhere someone has to know

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there not an essay for the Harlem campus? The only essays I see are for the California campus. halp.

Has anyone received a secondary application from this school yet? I found out I could get one and submit one online through touro's website, but it says not to until I receive an email from Touro - Harlem telling me to do so.

From what I have heard about this school, they do not send out secondaries until September/October.
On another note, what have you all heard about this school? I've heard mixed reviews on the curriculum and clinical experience.

From what I have heard about this school, they do not send out secondaries until September/October.
On another note, what have you all heard about this school? I've heard mixed reviews on the curriculum and clinical experience.
I've heard bad reviews abt the clincial experience. Some say theres only one teaching hosp in Statem Island, however i met one student who said she did her clinical rotations at St Barnabas in the Bronx. Not sure what to believe,would like some current students to give their feedback

Just got an email that they won't start reviewing applications until August 31st.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
From what I know from last years thread they highly screen secondaries but if you get one your chance of getting an interview is very high. The fee last years was 200$ though. Seems a bit extreme for a secondary.

I'm secretly hoping that I get an interview in December so I could see the Rockefeller Center Christmas decorations, which is only 25 minutes away from Touro.

Reactions: 1 users
The secondary fee is twice as high as TUCOM-CA and TUCOM-NV, does that mean we are paying to have our app reviewed at both campuses of Touro-NY? Im leading toward Middletown. I like the small town environment and you can get federal loans even though it's provisionally accredited.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm secretly hoping that I get an interview in December so I could see the Rockefeller Center Christmas decorations, which is only 25 minutes away from Touro.

Its actually 15mins away.. And the absolute best time to go in early in the morning at 6am because that place is flooded with tourists otherwise

The secondary fee is twice as high as TUCOM-CA and TUCOM-NV, does that mean we are paying to have our app reviewed at both campuses of Touro-NY? Im leading toward Middletown. I like the small town environment and you can get federal loans even though it's provisionally accredited.

Its provisional accreditation is the highest level of accreditation it can receive until it graduates its first class. I think Middletown is an attractive campus because it is very closely affiliated with Orange Medical Center and, as a result, most students do not move at all for four years. On the other hand, I've heard a mix of really bad things about Harlem's rotations (e.g. moving all over New Jersey to a new site every rotation, etc.)

Its provisional accreditation is the highest level of accreditation it can receive until it graduates its first class. I think Middletown is an attractive campus because it is very closely affiliated with Orange Medical Center and, as a result, most students do not move at all for four years. On the other hand, I've heard a mix of really bad things about Harlem's rotations (e.g. moving all over New Jersey to a new site every rotation, etc.)
Just started my first year here at Harlem and we had our clinical rotations lecture. Rotations are at a single hospital for entire year unless you choose specific hospitals. There are hospitals all over the place ranging from Staten island, south Hamptons, NJ and from what I understand, you will not be moving.
Edit: This is for your core rotations during third year

Just started my first year here at Harlem and we had our clinical rotations lecture. Rotations are at a single hospital for entire year unless you choose specific hospitals. There are hospitals all over the place ranging from Staten island, south Hamptons, NJ and from what I understand, you will not be moving.
Edit: This is for your core rotations during third year

Cool. Thank you for taking the time and clearing that misconception.

I've heard bad reviews abt the clincial experience. Some say theres only one teaching hosp in Statem Island, however i met one student who said she did her clinical rotations at St Barnabas in the Bronx. Not sure what to believe,would like some current students to give their feedback

Also a new first year here, and I have only hear good things from past years students about clinical hears. You will see a LOT in an environment like NYC and can learn quite a bit. Administration and faculty seem to do anything to help students as well as help Touro achieve a solid reputation. I also think fourth year allows for flexibility in terms of auditioning and rotating at other hospitals.

Has anyone received a secondary application from this school yet? I found out I could get one and submit one online through touro's website, but it says not to until I receive an email from Touro - Harlem telling me to do so.
Secondary!

It was actually NYT COM, got it mixed up with Touro, you are right about the secondaries not being send out till September, I got the same e-mail! Sorry guys, my bad! I am not from New York ;)

Reactions: 2 users

haha..me too :snaphappy:

There was no essay for last year, but there were essays in previous years?
There was definitely an essay for last year. They first have you an email saying you passed their screening and there is general form to fill out for touro universities, then you receive a second email with specific instructions on what campus you would like to be considered for and the essay question. This was for last year at least

There was definitely an essay for last year. They first have you an email saying you passed their screening and there is general form to fill out for touro universities, then you receive a second email with specific instructions on what campus you would like to be considered for and the essay question. This was for last year at least

OK, that makes sense. Somehow the link posted didn't have anything, so I guess I'll go off of the prompt from 2 years ago.

OK, that makes sense. Somehow the link posted didn't have anything, so I guess I'll go off of the prompt from 2 years ago.
Last years prompt was: Please discuss how your background, experience, or academic program has prepared for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Last years prompt was: Please discuss how your background, experience, or academic program has prepared for meeting Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine Mission, Goals or Objectives. Consider addressing a few areas: Why Osteopathic Medicine? Have you been exposed to a diverse environment? How did you contribute? How have your academic background and personal experiences prepared you for medical school? How were you influenced by a shadowing experience?

Awesome, thank you so much!

How does choosing a campus work? Can you ask to be considered for both Harlem and Middletown or do you have to pick one when filling out that other part?

How does choosing a campus work? Can you ask to be considered for both Harlem and Middletown or do you have to pick one when filling out that other part?
There are four choices. Two of them are individual campuses only, while the other two are both campuses with a stronger preference towards one of the campuses

Is this true? I'm still waiting for an email inviting me to submit a secondary...

Does anyone know the cut-off for receiving one?

That's what they said when I called them. They said September I'm pretty sure

Is this true? I'm still waiting for an email inviting me to submit a secondary...

Does anyone know the cut-off for receiving one?
They sent out an email a while back saying that they would start reviewing apps on Aug 31st. So secondaries would be given out after that (starting in Sept)

Please let us know if you've received a secondary :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think they were sent out late September / early October last year. I don't think Touro-NY follows the AACOMAS December deadlines for early deposits.

Anyone with a secondary yet? I applied and I didnt get any email from them at all not even a secondary email saying they would give them In Sept/Oct.

Anyone with a secondary yet? I applied and I didnt get any email from them at all not even a secondary email saying they would give them In Sept/Oct.

Still no secondary. My AACOMAS primary application was complete in early or mid June. I received the following email on July 29th: "We are writing to inform you that the TouroCOM Office of Admissions has received your verified application from AACOMAS. We will begin reviewing applications for the 2015-2016 Application Cycle starting August 31, 2015."

Still no secondary. My AACOMAS primary application was complete in early or mid June. I received the following email on July 29th: "We are writing to inform you that the TouroCOM Office of Admissions has received your verified application from AACOMAS. We will begin reviewing applications for the 2015-2016 Application Cycle starting August 31, 2015."

Same situation. I will probably email them today to inquire.

Everyone chill, they said they won't send them until the end of September

Everyone chill, they said they won't send them until the end of September

"If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected] and we will be glad to help you. We do ask, however, that you wait until September 14, 2015 before contacting our office regarding your application status. Your patience is greatly appreciated."

Touro -NY has a heavy screen process from what I've heard.. Can anyone confirm ? or who the heck knows ...

Touro -NY has a heavy screen process from what I've heard.. Can anyone confirm ? or who the heck knows ...

yeah they do have screening, i just receive email from them today saying that they will let me know within 4 weeks.

"We are writing to inform you that the TouroCOM Office of Admissions has received your verified application from AACOMAS. Your application will be reviewed and you will hear back from our office via email within four weeks. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]and we will be glad to help you. We do, however, ask that you would wait two weeks from today before contacting our office regarding your status. Your patience is greatly appreciated."

Everyone is getting rejections/acceptances from various schools and Touro NY has yet to send our secondaries haha
I don't know if this is there way of staying above the rest and vying for more sincere candidates or just poor organization
Irregardless, I am really hoping I get a secondary from here!!! I really like the school's mission and would love to spend 4 years in the NYC/New Jersey area.

Reactions: 3 users
Just received secondary invitation