2021-2022 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also do they help students find housing? If they do, does anyone know of the platforms used to help students?

Members don't see this ad.

Re: the two housing questions above, people live all over. School does not have any sponsored or subsidized housing - sometimes there is a spreadsheet to find roommates and/or link up with upperclassmen who are moving. Around this time of year upperclassmen start advertising listings for their place on class Facebook groups as well. Other than that, utilize StreetEasy or other websites, and be SURE to check of that you want a No Fee listing - Realtors fees can be a killer.

If you're going to live outside of Manhattan, take into account commute time and cost when considering how expensive or not something is. A lot of areas in Brooklyn and Queens are WAY more expensive than Harlem or the Bronx. Some students drive or take the train from Long Island or NJ, and some take the subway or bus here in the city.

I can speak for my class in that we have a decent chunk of people who live in Harlem, a lot of people within Manhattan, and still a chunk who come from Queens, NJ, or LI.

As far as rotations, it depends on where you land. Some rotation placements involve multiple adjunct sites, so having a central location and a car would be ideal in that case. Some rotation placements have everything in one spot, so living close would behoove you instead. A lot of the NJ gang who commuted originally are just staying where they are. Long Island commuters who got lucky with their placement will also be staying put. Some folks are moving elsewhere in Manhattan, or down to Staten Island or Brooklyn. Obviously the folks who are out at Southampton or deeper in Jersey will have to move out that way.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if applying for their masters program looks poorly while you're on the waitlist? Like, if I apply will they more likely offer me masters admissions and stop considering me for the waitlist? ugh, so many thoughts! appreciate any input :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone send in their secondary in March and still waiting to hear back for interviews? :O

Does anyone know if applying for their masters program looks poorly while you're on the waitlist? Like, if I apply will they more likely offer me masters admissions and stop considering me for the waitlist? ugh, so many thoughts! appreciate any input :)
I’m a current MS student and one of my lab partners is a DO but she told me she applied to both MS and DO during the cycle. She was accepted to MS and was going to do that until 2 weeks before the semester started they accepted her into the DO program directly. So, I don’t think it will necessarily hurt to apply to both if you want more security!

Pre-ii R. That was the most poorly written rejection letter ever

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Pre-ii R. That was the most poorly written rejection letter ever
yeah they were like let us just plug in all these programs now that we are here

Yeah Pre-II R too :( sadly looks like they just wanted that $200 for the Secondary - they said they received thousands of applications - so imagine they have 10,000 applicants at $200 each, that's $2Million! :O

• Sad
Yeah the secondary fee for this school is way out there, I think they use that as a deterrent honestly because of the number of applications they receive which seems a bit unethical.

BTW, has Touro released their match list for this year yet?

Also, I'm touring the campus next Wednesday and I'll take some pictures and let you all know how it goes.

Yeah the secondary fee for this school is way out there, I think they use that as a deterrent honestly because of the number of applications they receive which seems a bit unethical.

Also, I'm touring the campus next Wednesday and I'll take some pictures and let you all know how it goes.
They said they'll be releasing it in a week or two

I’m touring on Tuesday

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard back recently? have they been sending out post interview rejections?

I’m a current MS student and one of my lab partners is a DO but she told me she applied to both MS and DO during the cycle. She was accepted to MS and was going to do that until 2 weeks before the semester started they accepted her into the DO program directly. So, I don’t think it will necessarily hurt to apply to both if you want more security!
Ooo, this is so great to know! Really hoping for that A but would love a backup plan, do you mind if I DM you about the MS program? Would love to know how you like it :)

Hey everyone, I have not been able to really find any group for the class of 2026 so I went ahead and created a discord for anyone who plans on attending next year.

Here is the invite link: Join the TouroCOM Class of 2026 Discord Server!
Can you or someone share this link again?? It seems to have expired??

Or if anyone has any groupme links for accepted/enrolled incoming students

Congrats! did they say if they are expecting any waitlist movement?
They said:
(1) The waitlist is already ranked and they do not share rankings with students
(2) LOI or updates should not be sent until the beginning of May because....
(3) They typically do not begin to broadly re-review waitlisted candidates until the middle of May (given their second deposit deadline)

Current first year so thought I’d give my experience so far. I’m relatively low maintenance so your mileage may vary.
The area is as Harlem as it gets and will require getting used to if you don’t know what to expect, but I’m from NY so I don’t mind. The in person clicker policy is maybe my least favorite aspect of the school so far. Just an entirely useless waste of time for me but luckily this semester has been virtual. I think the school and the class representatives do well to provide you with the resources to succeed in the classes with a google drive filled with reviews and practice questions to use. Obviously I can’t tell you what the experience is like in other med schools, but I know for sure Touro does better at preparing their students than other healthcare related graduate programs. You still have to study hard, but it takes away some of the stress from figuring out how and what to study.

Other than that, the students are nice, some faculty are nice and some are less nice, and the building is nice and clean. Overall I’m happy with the preclinical experience so far and hope clinicals go the same.

Current first year so thought I’d give my experience so far. I’m relatively low maintenance so your mileage may vary.
The area is as Harlem as it gets and will require getting used to if you don’t know what to expect, but I’m from NY so I don’t mind. The in person clicker policy is maybe my least favorite aspect of the school so far. Just an entirely useless waste of time for me but luckily this semester has been virtual. I think the school and the class representatives do well to provide you with the resources to succeed in the classes with a google drive filled with reviews and practice questions to use. Obviously I can’t tell you what the experience is like in other med schools, but I know for sure Touro does better at preparing their students than other healthcare related graduate programs. You still have to study hard, but it takes away some of the stress from figuring out how and what to study.

Other than that, the students are nice, some faculty are nice and some are less nice, and the building is nice and clean. Overall I’m happy with the preclinical experience so far and hope clinicals go the same.
If you don't mind me asking, I'm a bit confused about the clickers. So I keep hearing that they aren't mandatory but also hearing that you need to go to those. What exactly is it? Also if they aren't mandatory how many days a week would you say you would need to go on campus for mandatory purposes like labs? I'm also from NY but out on Suffolk so was wondering if I could save the extra commute time to study as much as possible.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm a bit confused about the clickers. So I keep hearing that they aren't mandatory but also hearing that you need to go to those. What exactly is it? Also if they aren't mandatory how many days a week would you say you would need to go on campus for mandatory purposes like labs? I'm also from NY but out on Suffolk so was wondering if I could save the extra commute time to study as much as possible.
I think the difference is that the second year class professors gave us the opportunity to just have canvas quizzes in lieu of in person clickers - depending on if you're asking a 2024 person or 2025 person, you'll get a different answer. I don't know what the plan is for next year tbh.

Clickers are in-class quizzes - barring one or two classes that make them a little challenging, they're designed to give y'all a free 100% quiz average to help your grade a little bit. A few people in the second year class commute from Suffolk, but like Huntington-deep (I don't personally know of anyone further east). And due to our non-mandatory clickers, they really only needed to come in once a week for OMM, sometimes twice if we had an Early Clinical Education (ECE) thing in person.

Did anyone that interviewed March 28th hear anything back yet :/

In the fall semester, everything was in person as it normally would be and we had mandatory clickers (~10% of our grade) from Monday to Thursday. 2 of your lowest clicker grades for each, including days where you just didn’t show up, are dropped at the end of the semester.

The spring semester has been virtual from the beginning so the mandatory clickers were replaced with mandatory canvas quizzes. Now we only need to go to campus for a couple hours 2 days a week for PD Lab and OMM lab. Another difference is that I believe they don’t drop quizzes like they do with clickers but that’s okay if I can take the quiz at home.

I assume by the fall 2022 semester, they’re gonna go back to in person classes with mandatory clickers so you’d probably have to commute 4 days a week if you decide to go to Touro. I would contact them for a better idea about how they plan on conducting the courses in the Fall.

How is everyone feeling from my WL group? I keep refreshing this page in an unhealthy manner, but other than that, I am fine. 🤥

Last edited:
How is everyone feeling from my WL group? I keep refreshing this page in an unhealthy manner, but other than that, I am fine. 🤥
Really feeling it now, trying not to be too anxious! I keep feeling like they're going to leave us waiting until the last minute and we'll all need to scramble for housing...hoping they can clear it up by end of May early June!

I think we have good chances to be admitted from the waitlist so just keeping hopes up <3

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed on March 23rd and still haven't heard back yet :/ Does anyone know when the last set of interviews are?

I interviewed on March 23rd and still haven't heard back yet :/ Does anyone know when the last set of interviews are?
I would imagine they finish up interview in April... I'm only assuming this because I know most other DO schools don't continue to interview past April. They had previously said in their waitlist e-mail they begin to start re-reviewing the waitlist and pulling people from there, which I'm assuming is where they will get a good majority of their class. Harlem Class of 2026 on FB has 78 students, give or take 3 -5 for current students, that's 57 more spots to fill, and I'm sure some people won't accept their A from here, so I would imagine you'll hear back soon! It took me a month to hear back from them :)

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Cabin Fever Reaction GIF
Yes!

Does anyone have any tips on how to write a letter of intent? I've never wrote one before, and I know they aren't accepting letters until the beginning of May but I'd like to prepare now. Touro is my top choice and I'd love to get off the waitlist :(

OMS-1 (former MS) here. We just finished our 2nd neuroanatomy exam today which was the last exam for the master’s program. From what I understand from a couple of my classmates, they will look at how many students from the master’s program are able to get in before they proceed ahead with the people on the waitlist. MS will take their comp exam on Friday and then they will know if they made it in about 2 weeks after that.

Does anyone have any tips on how to write a letter of intent? I've never wrote one before, and I know they aren't accepting letters until the beginning of May but I'd like to prepare now. Touro is my top choice and I'd love to get off the waitlist :(
So I reached out to Steven Toplan to see where we should send letters of intent and he wrote me back saying:

"Please wait for mid-late May to start sending expressions of continued interest. But when you do, the email should be 1 sentence only: I am still interested. Other than that, we will not read or consider any additional addendums."

• Haha
Really?!?! I made a detailed outline for my LOI. lol. When I received my WL email, it stated to send an LOI at the beginning of May, not mid-May. When should I send the email?

I would follow the WL email and send it at the beginning of May. They prob say mid May because thats usually when the master’s decide fully (~2 wk from Friday is usually when they get notify of matriculation and then 1 week to decide if they wanna accept it)

Really?!?! I made a detailed outline for my LOI. lol. When I received my WL email, it stated to send an LOI at the beginning of May, not mid-May. When should I send the email?
Ya I agree with RaymondL094, I would send it at the beginning of May just in case. Worst case scenario they tell you to resend later in the month. Also I feel so weird just sending a one line email. I honestly am thinking about still sending my full LOi and if they don’t read all of it so be it. It just seems so weird and informal to send a one liner.

He didn’t answer my question as to where to send them to. Do you know what email address we send them to?

Also a bit confused by this. The waitlist email said beginning of May but Toplan recently said mid May?

Also a bit confused by this. The waitlist email said beginning of May but Toplan recently said mid May?
Correct- He told me

"Please wait for mid-late May to start sending expressions of continued interest. But when you do, the email should be 1 sentence only: I am still interested. Other than that, we will not read or consider any additional addendums."

I would still plan on sending at the beginning of may just in case

Do we know about how many people are on the waitlist right now?
Like this post if you are? :)🤞

Reactions: 18 users
Ooo, this is so great to know! Really hoping for that A but would love a backup plan, do you mind if I DM you about the MS program? Would love to know how you like it :)
I sent you a dm sorry for taking so long to respond