2021-2022 Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine (Harlem Campus)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
First off, good luck and best of skill with your interview! Second, this is my opinion and might not reflect my classmates or your potential experiences, also, especially with the timing of COVID my experience has been drastically different from other classes (we started in July 2020).

Major Pros
  • The student body is the biggest positive in my opinion. We really try to help each other out when we can and sure, there are the gunners, but most of the people I've met are here for the right reasons and aren't out to get anyone. I wouldn't be the person I am today without the support of my peers.
  • The flipped classroom model has given me the freedom to arrange my own schedule and tailor my learning experience to my style. I don't like going to class and find that I get distracted easily so having the opportunity to be at home and watch lectures on my own time was great. I know for others having the option to go to class and talk about the material kept them organized. Take a look at my other posts for an explanation of clickers/the grading scheme.
  • Diversity. I come from a semi-rural homogenous area out of state so being in the center of the world in NYC has been really eye-opening and spurred tons of personal growth. There are all kinds of people here, which is also reflected in the class makeup. In my opinion, it'll help me empathize and treat my patients down the line.

I have a background in prehospital medicine (EMS), so I feel like I already had a lot of exposure coming into medical school. During the first year, you have OSCEs and labs that teach you the skills required to do physical assessments. Also, I found surprisingly that our OMM curriculum helped me learn anatomy and what a normal body feels like. During the second year, we have a class called Medical Simulation that teaches us the more procedural aspects of medicine (suturing, intubation, ultrasound, etc.), which I think does a good job of orienting those without past experience to tasks we will likely do on rotations. There is also an elective shadowing course that you can take advantage of where you basically get a P/F credit on your transcript for shadowing a local doc (you set it up, you choose the specialty, you set the hours). I took advantage of this and it really helped me during the harder times to refocus on why I chose this career.

There's a list of current rotation sites on the website that you can look at so I won't list them out. We are pretty spread out since NYC is densely packed with medical schools vying for sites. Basically, you can be in the city, just outside the city in Jersey, Long Island, Brooklyn, Staten Island, or further out in NY/NJ. While some people view that as a negative I think it's going to give me a chance to tailor my experience.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "extensive" in that question - in terms of education while on the wards, what rotations we do, variety of location, or some other quality? If you could clarify that would be great.

And I just realized one of my classmates beat me to answering your question but I'll still post this for you to have two opinions. Don't get rattled on your interview and stay composed when they do the good cop/bad cop routine. I cried in the bathroom afterward and still made it in (I'm soft tho, don't be scared). You got this!
I know I did some digging for this but question about the mandatory status of classes—do you know if that was the case for your class because of COVID or has showing up to class always been optional (aside from the clicker points?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone else stalking the FB 2026 class page seeing the numbers go up and slowly loosing hope?

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
118 members but like 8 are current students. So that’s ~110 for a class of 135. Doesn’t seem like there’s been too much waitlist movement this week either so I’m also losing hope :/

Members don't see this ad :)
118 members but like 8 are current students. So that’s ~110 for a class of 135. Doesn’t seem like there’s been too much waitlist movement this week either so I’m also losing hope :/
Ya i am definitely starting to freak out. I thought the person who posted the FB group page said there was 13 current students in it. Either way, I feel like its still not looking great 😭😭😭

FB group count: 104 (14 of us in there)
GroupMe count: 81

Reactions: 3 users
Ya i am definitely starting to freak out. I thought the person who posted the FB group page said there was 13 current students in it. Either way, I feel like its still not looking great 😭😭😭
FB group count: 104 (14 of us in there)
GroupMe count: 81
Thank you! Trying to remain hopeful for WL movement for us all :)

Reactions: 2 users
When is the last day for someone from the WL group can be given an acceptance? And when is orientation week?

Acceptance off WL from everything I’ve read seem to be into mid July. Orientation week is the last week of July.

• Sad
Manifesting some waitlist movement for us all this week!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I'm having the hardest time. I've committed to another school but TouroCOM is my top choice (I'm INCREDIBLY grateful to have another school I can attend - please don't get me wrong). Classes at the other school start July 1st, I'm so afraid I'm going to not hear from TouroCOM and then get in off the waitlist, while I'm already at another school. Does anyone have any idea on how to handle this? Or expectations on when people would start to hear back? Or even advice from people who switched schools last minute?
So stressful, I hope you're all staying hopeful! :)

Withdrawing my acceptance. Hope it goes to one of you

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does the waitlist status email guarantee an A based off of past cycles? I got one a week and a half ago but no A as of yet.

• Hmm
Does the waitlist status email guarantee an A based off of past cycles? I got one a week and a half ago but no A as of yet.
We are ranked but it is not stagnant. A few students have been waitlisted for a few months, including me, so welcome to the club of wait and see. Who knows today may be your day. It all depends on where you are ranked.

Last edited:
I’m sorry I should’ve specified. I’m talking about the waitlist status check email br0228~ received about a week and a half ago. This is different from the original waitlist email that we all received when we were put on the waitlist.

• Wow
Do you mean the pathologist assistant email thing? Thats probably nothing. Touro has a lot of other healthcare schools that probably send out things to see if anyones interested

IMG_1410.jpg

I sent in my LOI right after my interview on 2/14 and again early May.

I sent in my LOI right after my interview on 2/14 and again early May.
Now I understand your previous question because the same thing happened to someone else in this thread and received an acceptance the next day. So far only one came forward with that info.

Now I understand your previous question because the same thing happened to someone else in this thread and received an acceptance the next day. So far only one came forward with that info.

Yes exactly. I guess we shall find out soon . Gotta keep waiting.

Manifesting WL movement this week for us all!!

Has anyone heard about any movement in general? I see FB numbers moving slightly

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
I withdrew my acceptance to TouroCOM-Harlem! Was accepted last Thursday 5/26. Hope it goes to one of you! Keep the faith!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi. So some update about the fb additions. Last ~2 weeks, all the addition have been random rising second years. Pretty sure most of us are just trying to get in, in order to send out announcement for student orgs. Pretty sure the number is still hasn’t hit 120. Don’t know why they’re taking so long to move with the WL tho.

I know I did some digging for this but question about the mandatory status of classes—do you know if that was the case for your class because of COVID or has showing up to class always been optional (aside from the clicker points?)
I emailed Steven the Director of Admissions and he said that the clicker sessions will be mandatory again this year, but who knows things might change.

Congrats! Do you mind me asking when you interviewed/ when you were waitlisted? :)

Yea interview 2/14 (my gf insisted so that we can enjoy dinner stress free) and waitlisted 3/8.

I just got this email :/
Applied last day possible, interview march 28, waitlisted April 28th.
MCAT 511, GPA 3.8, grad school gpa 4.0, cookie cutter EC plus modeling and on US billboard charts for singing and adjunct biology professor.
Good luck to everyone else, I think I had a ****ty interview so I don’t think my stats mattered
IMG_2537.png

• Care
MCAT 511, GPA 3.8, grad school gpa 4.0, cookie cutter EC plus modeling and on US billboard charts for singing and adjunct biology professor.
Good luck to everyone else, I think I had a ****ty interview so I don’t think my stats mattered View attachment 355764
Thank you for sharing :-/

Good luck to everyone else, I think I had a ****ty interview so I don’t think my stats mattered View attachment 355764
Same here. Interviewed 3/9. Waitlisted 3/29.

• Care
Drop the song/s link 👀

Any waitlist movement? Manifesting something positive for us all this week!

Any waitlist movement? Manifesting something positive for us all this week!
Based on the recent emails people got (me included) doesn't seem like there will be much waitlist movement. I've read from previous cycles though there are always several people that get pulled the day of orientation. Even that I would gladly take, though it would suck planning wise.

Based on the recent emails people got (me included) doesn't seem like there will be much waitlist movement. I've read from previous cycles though there are always several people that get pulled the day of orientation. Even that I would gladly take, though it would suck planning wise.
what email did you get from the school regarding the Waitlist?

what email did you get from the school regarding the Waitlist?
Yea, same one other people posted, saying that this year is less movement than usual and that its unlikely we will get off the waitlist. might be good news for people that didn't get the email, but don't want to give anyone false hope.

I did not get that email - how about you? Still holding on to a sliver of hope... for better or worse!

Just confirmed housing at another school, will be taking my name off the waitlist. So sad but hopefully will be in NYC some day <3 Wishing you all the best of luck, future doctors! Don't hesitate to DM me if you need anything!