Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know the average board scores (both COMLEX and USMLE) for Touro? Can't find it online.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi does anyone know what time the interview day ended. Trying to decide when to book my return flight
The interview day starts at 9am and ends at 1:35pm as stated in the II email ;):) Best of luck on your interview!!! :thumbup:

When do people start looking for housing ?

Reactions: 1 users
Do they provide any amenities? What do y'all think is the best thing about the school?

For those that interviewed 2/27, we hear our admission decisions Thurs 3/9 via email correct?

When do people start looking for housing ?

I think there's supposed to be information sent out sometime in June? Seems a bit early to start thinking about housing, though...

Last edited:
I think there's supposed to be information sent out sometime in June? Seems a bit late to start thinking about housing, though...
Too early you mean, not late? I don't even know if I am going to go to this school - I haven't even been accepted yet!

II today!! Complete 03/02/17. Any advice on the interview? Is it traditional?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today!! Complete 03/02/17. Any advice on the interview? Is it traditional?

2 doctors and 1 medical student will interview you along with 3-4 other applicants.
It is a panel interview and you'll be hearing other applicants' stories. You'll kill it!

2 doctors and 1 medical student will interview you along with 3-4 other applicants.
It is a panel interview and you'll be hearing other applicants' stories. You'll kill it!

Oh hey from UA COM thread! Thanks for the input :) do they ask "why Touro?"

Oh hey from UA COM thread! Thanks for the input :) do they ask "why Touro?"

Lol hey!!
My interview was pretty unique. They asked every single person a very specific question about their application. None of them were "why medicine" or "why Touro" but definitly asked "why DO?" So know your application very well! And even if they don't ask "why Touro" you should sneak it in there somewhere lol

ACCEPTED!!!!!!! :):);) Now considering whether to do the dual MPH/DO degree because it requires me to fill out another application with supplemental questions and start classes June 1st...Is anyone actually doing this? :eek::spitoutpacifier:

At the interview, they only said positive things about the dual degree. Any current touro students doing this option want to share how it is benefitting them? I do not want it to distract from my DO studies or studying for boards if there is a lot of field work required...also at the interview day they said the program costs $800x30 units = $24,000 which is sort of expensive. Do the pros outweigh the cons? Wil it give me an edge applying to residencies or stand out among other candidates? What if I am not sure I want to go into public health and just doing the MPH for the sake of having a MPH because it looks cool?

Last edited:
ACCEPTED!!!!!!! :):);) Now considering whether to do the dual MPH/DO degree because it requires me to fill out another application with supplemental questions and start classes June 1st...Is anyone actually doing this? :eek::spitoutpacifier:

At the interview, they only said positive things about the dual degree. Any current touro students doing this option want to share how it is benefitting them? I do not want it to distract from my DO studies or studying for boards if there is a lot of field work required...also at the interview day they said the program costs $800x30 units = $24,000 which is sort of expensive. Do the pros outweigh the cons? Wil it give me an edge applying to residencies or stand out among other candidates? What if I am not sure I want to go into public health and just doing the MPH for the sake of having a MPH because it looks cool?

Congrats!!! :D accepted as well! Interviewed 3/7

Offered an interview here today (secondary submitted early September) but I'm not sure whether or not to go since I was accepted at Touro NV. Could anyone chime in on the differences between the program (if there are any besides location)? Please and thank you :)

Does anyone know how long it takes for the acceptance letter to arrive after they send the initial email?

Does anyone know how long it takes for the acceptance letter to arrive after they send the initial email?
Depends how far away you live from the school. I got it within 2 business days but I'm like an hour away

i got mine in 2 business days as well....wow $2000 deposit is a lotta money and it's non-refundable... One thing that I wish i could have learned more about on my interview day is the quality of clinical rotations at touro (3rd + 4th year) and how well students perform on the Step I exam since most DO students now take both Comlex and Usmle exams so they can be more competitive for the MD residencies in the future. If any current touro students have anything to say about these specific details, please reply to this post or personal message is fine too. Thanks!

i got mine in 2 business days as well....wow $2000 deposit is a lotta money and it's non-refundable... One thing that I wish i could have learned more about on my interview day is the quality of clinical rotations at touro (3rd + 4th year) and how well students perform on the Step I exam since most DO students now take both Comlex and Usmle exams so they can be more competitive for the MD residencies in the future. If any current touro students have anything to say about these specific details, please reply to this post or personal message is fine too. Thanks!
+1 please reply here so we can all learn from it!

Congrats!!! :D accepted as well! Interviewed 3/7
Do we have 2 weeks to submit the deposit from the date the acceptance email and official letter were both sent out or when we received in the mail? I think it's the first one...

Last edited:
Does anybody know how long after receiving a student's FAFSA the school sends a loan offer? Is it an offer? Does it cover your whole tuition or do people typically have to take out other loans?

Do we have 2 weeks to submit the deposit from the date the acceptance email and official letter were both sent out or when we received in the mail? I think it's the first one...
The email! Not snail mail

Is there an official facebook group for the Class of 2021? Is there any on-campus housing option with roomates or are students responsible for finding their own housing on Mare Island or Vallejo city (house rentals, etc.)?

Is there an official facebook group for the Class of 2021? Is there any on-campus housing option with roomates or are students responsible for finding their own housing on Mare Island or Vallejo city (house rentals, etc.)?

There's no individual Class of 2021 page, but there's the pre-clinical group for incoming students and current OMS I/II students. I think they do it that way instead of having individual class pages so everyone can benefit from the same information.

Doesn't look like there are on-campus housing options!

Can someone please answer this question for me as I have tried finding out this info online and am not able to find it :/ This is an important factor that will help me decide which medical school I want to eventually matriculate into.

What is the average USMLE Step 1 score for students at tucom-ca??? How are students scoring on the step 1 compared to at other DO schools? Are their ample resources?

upload_2017-3-20_17-17-33.png

Can someone please answer this question for me as I have tried finding out this info online and am not able to find it :/ This is an important factor that will help me decide which medical school I want to eventually matriculate into.

What is the average USMLE Step 1 score for students at tucom-ca??? How are students scoring on the step 1 compared to at other DO schools? Are their ample resources?

sorry accidentally replied to the overall thread, see above post

sorry accidentally replied to the overall thread, see above post

TUCOM students perform above average on COMLEX and around average on USMLE it seems.
2016 school mean was 530 vs nation 520

As far as preparation's concerned the school's been revamping that quite a bit from what i understand and i think they get a little more than a month off beforehand but im not totally sure.
You should ask these Qs in the preclinical fb group so the 2nd years can reply!

The email! Not snail mail

So if the acceptance letter is dated Mar 10th, do we have until 11:59pm PST on Mar 24th to submit the deposit? I'm hearing back from another school that day so just want to make sure I don't potentially miss the deposit submission deadline!

So if the acceptance letter is dated Mar 10th, do we have until 11:59pm PST on Mar 24th to submit the deposit? I'm hearing back from another school that day so just want to make sure I don't potentially miss the deposit submission deadline!
You should double check by calling the admissions office if you wanna be 110% sure but that seems right to me!

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if I could complete the criminal background check online? I just got an acceptance letter but im out of states!
Thanks

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if I could complete the criminal background check online? I just got an acceptance letter but im out of states!
Thanks

Hi,
Thanks

Hi, I'm not sure what you mean but I just signed and scanned the criminal background check document they sent with the acceptance letter and emailed it to the email address listed on it.

I am going to withdraw after putting down the 2k deposit. Does anyone know if I am entitled to a refund, full or partial? Despite it being called a nonrefundable deposit, I have seen posts suggesting otherwise concerning their pharmacy program several years back. Does this apply to us?

Deposit Refunds in California

I am going to withdraw after putting down the 2k deposit. Does anyone know if I am entitled to a refund, full or partial? Despite it being called a nonrefundable deposit, I have seen posts suggesting otherwise concerning their pharmacy program several years back. Does this apply to us?

Huh... I never heard of that and thank you for sharing that link! I will look into if ever needed!

With that said, I think you should email them and cite those mandates/laws and explain how they have to refund it by law and they can only keep $250. Doesn't hurt. See what happens!

Last edited:
Can any current students comment on why they chose this school? Debating between TUCOM and a recent acceptance I got. Pros for me are that it's close to family, and I loved my interview day as I saw a really supportive network of students/faculty. However I'm a bit worried about board prep/board scores. Any help is greatly appreciated!

They told us today decisions would be released. For those accepted, was there a general time frame you noticed the letters going out?

They told us today decisions would be released. For those accepted, was there a general time frame you noticed the letters going out?
I got it around 10:30 or 11 am something like that... but it also was a day after they said they'd send them out

It has finally happened! An acceptance!!! Got the e-mail just now! Best of luck to those waiting.

finally accepted to medical school!

can anyone find residency match lists for after 2014?

Have you asked them for a refund? What was the outcome? I'm curious too!