This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

North95

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently on the waitlist for NYIT-Arkansas Campus and have been accepted to Tufts MBS Program. It is a completely NEW DO school. It would be the first class ever. So there are no stats on anything. Tufts is a well known SMP program.

NYIT- Arkansas:

Pro: US DO school

Cons: In Arkansas
Very expensive
Completely new school: so no stats in terms of residency placement, COMPLEX/USMLE scores, etc. Not sure about 3rd and 4th year rotation connections
Heard bad things about NYIT main campus and may trickle down to branch one.
MIGHT end up in a crappy residency or have difficulty getting one bc of its newness

Tufts MBS:

Pro: Good program
I would get to pursue an MPH (w/ a global health concentration) in addition to MS
Would prove that I could handle graduate level medical school programs
MIGHT open up better medical schools to apply to in the future

Cons: It would take me 2 more years to get into medical school

My question is this:

If taken off the waitlist should I go to Arkansas or take my chances with the Tufts MBS and go there?
 
What are your stats? Also waitlists mvmt at this point is going to be pretty limited so this is likely a moot point anyways
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know alot of great doctors who came out of NYIT/NYCOM on Long Island. I would go right in if you get off the waitlist.
 
Stats aren't that great.
MD: Science: 3.0 (with solid upward trend) Overall: 3.38
DO: Science: 3.2 (with solid upward trend) Overall: 3.5
 
But do you think it will necessarily be the same for the branch campus in Arkansas? I think that the newness is the thing that bothers me most. Being like a guinea pig.
 
I applied for the main campus in NY but got an interview for the Arkansas campus. The school made it so your secondary got sent to both schools. I was not aware of this until I got the interview.
 
MCAT pretty low 494. I did not take a biochemistry class before taking the exam and it really negatively affected my score.
 
If it comes, take the DO acceptance.

Tufts is an excellent program, but you'll have a tough road getting MD with current MCAT even if you get a 3.8+.

Might be worthwhile calling Tufts.

See if they'll provide info re MD acceptance from their program with your stats.

Good luck.
 
Hey there. I actually got into NYIT (main campus) this year. I'm also worried because of all the negative things I've heard about the school, but I spoke to a friend going there now. According to him, it's up to the student to make the most of the resources there. There have been students who were kicked out in the past, but that's because they fell behind. (He just finished his first year, so who knows how second year will go.) Aside from that, I have heard of a good handful of doctors graduating from the school who now work in city.

If you do get accepted into the DO program, go for it. At the end of the day, whether you have an MD or DO behind your name, the fact is you made it into med school and then got out. You got this!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey there. I actually got into NYIT (main campus) this year. I'm also worried because of all the negative things I've heard about the school, but I spoke to a friend going there now. According to him, it's up to the student to make the most of the resources there. There have been students who were kicked out in the past, but that's because they fell behind. (He just finished his first year, so who knows how second year will go.) Aside from that, I have heard of a good handful of doctors graduating from the school who now work in city.

If you do get accepted into the DO program, go for it. At the end of the day, whether you have an MD or DO behind your name, the fact is you made it into med school and then got out. You got this!
Good Luck!