UMKC 6 year BA/MD vs University of Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholars Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocStudent-IL

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am high school senior. I got admitted to two direct admit programs for medical school

• UMKC BA/MD program - 6 year program (regional pool), Estimated Cost $380K

No Mcat needed. I hear that 6 year program is quite intense.

• University of Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholar Program – 8 year (4+4) program (out of state). Estimated Cost $370K. I can apply to other med schools after undergrad. Need average GPA and MCAT score of last year’s admitted class

Any advice and guidance on choosing between the two programs would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Wow. This is a lot to consider for a high school senior.

The idea of being able to graduate medical school around the age of 24 sounds really appealing, but I wouldn't have traded my 4 years of (relatively low-stress) undergrad for anything in the world. Not having to take the MCAT is a huge plus, but you're limiting yourself to only 1 possible school if so.

I'd personally choose the Oklahoma route since it is much less restricting and you're really young to be absolutely sure you want to go to medical school. If you are positive though, no one could blame you for getting the combined degree in such a short amount of time at UMKC.

Also, don't forget to consider where you personally would rather spend 6-8 years of your life beyond academics. I almost went with a similar program out of high school at a mediocre state school, but choose to go to a much better state school in a much better city without any MD guarantees instead and it was one of the best decisions of my life.

Congratulations and good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're certain you want to be a doctor, I would go for UMKC. I work at Children's Mercy, which is affiliated with the school so we see a lot of med students around. They seem to really enjoy it. Each year you postpone is your last-year- before-retirement's salary that you lose, so having an MD at 24 would be quite amazing and would've done it if I knew back then I wanted to go into medicine. I know the education is top notch and their residency placements are great.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can get into any BA/MD programs as a high school senior, chances are you will do well in undergrad and will get into a more highly ranked institution later on. For example, the USC BA/MD program was discontinued because of its poor retention rate (~20%, I think). Students realized that they were overqualified for the medical school they were guaranteed acceptance to. Consider this possibility very carefully before you accept these offers.

If you can get into any BA/MD programs as a high school senior, chances are you will do well in undergrad and will get into a more highly ranked institution later on. For example, the USC BA/MD program was discontinued because of its poor retention rate (~20%, I think). Students realized that they were overqualified for the medical school they were guaranteed acceptance to. Consider this possibility very carefully before you accept these offers.

The funny thing is that USC is a very desirable medical school too!

The funny thing is that USC is a very desirable medical school too!

Well, I applied to the 8-year USC program, ended up attending UCLA undergrad, and now have a full-ride scholarship to UCLA medical school. My case is an extreme example, but I: 1) will be attending a higher-ranked medical school; 2) have an extra $300k in my pocket that I may not have had otherwise.

USC is very desirable, but if you can get in as a high school student, you can probably get in with ease in the future (and save a ton of money while doing so).

Well, I applied to the 8-year USC program, ended up attending UCLA undergrad, and now have a full-ride scholarship to UCLA medical school. My case is an extreme example, but I: 1) will be attending a higher-ranked medical school; 2) have an extra $300k in my pocket that I may not have had otherwise.

USC is very desirable, but if you can get in as a high school student, you can probably get in with ease in the future (and save a ton of money while doing so).

Oh for sure! I'm just saying that the student quality at the 8 yr Ba/MD program at USC is icnredible if students see SC as a second choice med school!

Wasn't the USC BA/MD program 8 years? An undergraduate degree from USC is definitely nothing to scoff at. Were people applying out at the USC program to another medical school or were they failing out?

Your CV and stats are quite extraordinary though. You're definitely the exception to the rule!

Wasn't the USC BA/MD program 8 years? An undergraduate degree from USC is definitely nothing to scoff at. Were people applying out at the USC program to another medical school or were they failing out?

Yes it was 8 years.

I think the undergrad degree is a nonissue because it's the promise of the medical school that draws people in the end.

Great question. Given that the minimum requirements weren't very high - like above a 9 on each section and you're good to go - I wager that most chose to go to other schools.

Yes it was 8 years.

I think the undergrad degree is a nonissue because it's the promise of the medical school that draws people in the end.

Great question. Given that the minimum requirements weren't very high - like above a 9 on each section and you're good to go - I wager that most chose to go to other schools.
Wow, what a shame, as USC is probably better than a lot of the med schools that have offered these type of combined programs for decades. My guess though is they no longer need the program, bc they get such great applicants now through the normal process.

Wow, what a shame, as USC is probably better than a lot of the med schools that have offered these type of combined programs for decades. My guess though is they no longer need the program, bc they get such great applicants now through the normal process.

Yeah I agree. It was definitely better than a lot of those other 7- or 8-year programs which had a high attrition rate because of their extra-rigorous curriculum. The losers not only lose their spot at that med school, but get their GPA destroyed at the same time. One of my high school friends is going through that right now. :(

I am high school senior. I got admitted to two direct admit programs for medical school

• UMKC BA/MD program - 6 year program (regional pool), Estimated Cost $380K

No Mcat needed. I hear that 6 year program is quite intense.

• University of Oklahoma Medical Humanities Scholar Program – 8 year (4+4) program (out of state). Estimated Cost $370K. I can apply to other med schools after undergrad. Need average GPA and MCAT score of last year’s admitted class

Any advice and guidance on choosing between the two programs would be very helpful.
@DocStudent-IL, Which school did you end up choosing?

Last edited: