Upcoming SUNY Upstate Interview; Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Motivated2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have an interview in one week for SUNY Upstate and as time is dwindling I am getting more and more anxious. Can anyone give me pointers on what to expect, what questions were asked, how best to prepare? :confused:

Anything will be helpful really.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I expect this thread to be moved from DO school specific discussions to MD school specific discussions.

It's a blind interview so they won't know anything about you.

Here are some questions you can expect:
1. Tell me about yourself
2. What is your greatest achievment
3. Describe your volunteer/clinical experience
4. Why medicine? Why upstate?
5. Leadership positions you've held and how they'll help in medicine
6. Some like talking about ethics and healthcare reform
7. What is unique about your application
8. Is there anything about your application that we haven't gone over
9. Any questions?

That pretty much sums it up. Most students have a conversational interview, others don't. Good luck!:D

Members don't see this ad :)

9. Any questions?

That pretty much sums it up. Most students have a conversational interview, others don't. Good luck!:D

Thank you for the tips :oops:

If questions do come up about healthcare reform etc, I would suggest not making a summation or bold statement but rather discuss it. Be humble. Same goes for any ethical questions. May sound crazy but try to think of these topics like you would talking to an astute friend of yours over dinner. Enjoy the conversation, dont bite with your responses. Atleast that is how I think golden interviews are born.

I loved Upstate. Was accepted. Amazing school, underated to say the least. Best of luck. :thumbup:

From what I've read, it is certain they'll ask about your reasons for going into medicine, and also for wanting to attend Upstate. I recommend you have really good and thoughtful answers for at least these 2. They seem to be guaranteed questions in Upstate interviews.

Another one that they seem to ask everywhere, specially the student interviewers is: what do you do for fun/ when you are not in class? I think the answer you give to this one will be very important to student interviewers, particularly.

In general, try to be conversational. From the moment you walk into your interviewer's office, try to talk about interesting things, and make them all come back to you and your app. As another poster mentioned, the interviewers don't know anything about you except your Upstate additional assays. They may not even know where you are from. I think this is good because you get to retell them your whole story the way you want to tell it. Concentrate on selling your best accomplishments and telling them how those have made you a better person and a better fit for a medical career/ Upstate student body.

Do all that in the most relaxed and cool manner you can, and you'll do great... I know, it is an art.

Hope that helps!

Ohh, almost forgot. During my interview, I was told to ask questions. That's how my interviewer conducted this particular interview. Prepare lots of questions but with the intention of tying them back to yourself and your app, otherwise the interviewer will answer but will not learn anything about you... that makes for bad interview reports!!

9. Any questions?

I was asked these questions at Upstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.