UTSW or UMich? (UMich would cost ~50K more over 4 yrs)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTSW or UMich? (UMich extra ~50K over 4 yrs)

• UTSW

Votes: 30 65.2%
  • UMich

Votes: 16 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hellifiknow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical-- which option would you choose as a TX resident whose family is from Dallas?

Members don't see this ad.

Hypothetical-- which option would you choose as a TX resident whose family is from Dallas?

You have no acceptances yet. I'm still wondering how I'm seeing these go up and it's not February-April.

Assuming you get accepted, WHICH IS A HUGE IF, especially with the University of Michigan, it sounds like money and family are your main concerns, so go to UTSW. I'm curious how you can possibly know the financial aid packages (Mich offers some very nice scholarships, not sure about UTSW) these schools will be offering you.

This is kind of a presumptuous thread, though.

They are both equally top-notch schools. Totally up to you - if you truly feel the same about them, why not go for the cheaper one? Conversely, if you do some soul-searching and really feel that you would be a better fit at Michigan, don't let the money hold you back. You'll pay it back eventually.

To Beta Cell: calm down. Part of the interview process is to figure out which school is right for you, even before you start getting acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are both equally top-notch schools. Totally up to you - if you truly feel the same about them, why not go for the cheaper one? Conversely, if you do some soul-searching and really feel that you would be a better fit at Michigan, don't let the money hold you back. You'll pay it back eventually.

To Beta Cell: calm down. Part of the interview process is to figure out which school is right for you, even before you start getting acceptances.

I didn't mean to come off in a heated manner, I'm not angry at all. I'm just curious how he can know the financial aid packages without any acceptance letters yet.

it would be funnier if he wasn't even applying this cycle

Take the money and never look back.

Edit: Also, assuming you will be borrowing this money it will be far greater than a 50k difference over the years you will service the loan.

You have no acceptances yet. I'm still wondering how I'm seeing these go up and it's not February-April.

Assuming you get accepted, WHICH IS A HUGE IF, especially with the University of Michigan, it sounds like money and family are your main concerns, so go to UTSW. I'm curious how you can possibly know the financial aid packages (Mich offers some very nice scholarships, not sure about UTSW) these schools will be offering you.

This is kind of a presumptuous thread, though.

Learn the meaning of "hypothetical" before making pretentious comments. Obviously he doesn't know his financial aid packages or his acceptances yet. I don't understand what your problem is with people just speculating for fun.

Learn the meaning of "hypothetical" before making pretentious comments.

The point is that it's based on nothing and one shouldn't be focused on specific schools yet as the admissions process is highly variable. Slapping the word "hypothetical" in front of anything doesn't detract from the fact that it's still very early in the season to be worrying about such things. "Pretentious" is assuming you'll get into two great schools regardless of stats, secondaries, or interviews.

Meh. If the only things we talked about were concrete facts and real-world situations, and never discussed opinions or hypothetical situations, SDN would die a very quick death.

Thanks for the responses-- would most ppl agree being closer to family/friends is a plus in med school? I know this is highly subjective and depends on each person, but I feel a lot of decisions that are made by premeds have a tendency to be impulsive and based on things like rank that may not really matter when it comes time for residency matching. For example:

A lot of ppl make a big deal abt top 10 schools, but wouldn't schools in the top 20-30 still offer almost equal residency options if that student does well in both places? Does a kid in the 3rd quartile at a top 10 school match just as well/better as a kid at in the 1st quartile at a top 20 school based on their school being ranked higher?-- is this a generalization that just can't be made period?

Regarding money, it seems like most premeds and a good # of med students say to go where you'll be happiest, even if the debt piles on, but i hear a disproportionate # of residents/physicians that say to go to the school that is the least expensive given that they are both ranked relatively highly. I used UTSW and UMich as an example b/c I feel UTSW is a top 20 school but UMich is usually regarded as a top 10 school. Do you think there's a clear advantage for either school here, or does it mostly depend on the individual?

Regarding enjoying a city, how much time to med students really have to "enjoy" the city? I'm just wondering if "being in a new city and having new friends and new experiences" is as glamorous as it sounds when you're in med school. Would more ppl agree that it's nicer to stay closer to family/friends?

I'm not trying to be presumptuous-- i just know im an indecisive person, and am trying to prioritize things and not trying to get into a situation where I regret a decision, even though that's hard to do when two choices look equally appealing.

The point is that it's based on nothing and one shouldn't be focused on specific schools yet as the admissions process is highly variable. Slapping the word "hypothetical" in front of anything doesn't detract from the fact that it's still very early in the season to be worrying about such things. "Pretentious" is assuming you'll get into two great schools regardless of stats, secondaries, or interviews.

The OP isn't assuming s***, he's asking HYPOTHETICALLY. The word hypothetically proves that he's not assuming he'll get in.

If he were assuming, he'd ask "which one of these schools should I go to?" and not "which one of these would a Dallas resident go to hypothetically."

Thanks for the responses-- would most ppl agree being closer to family/friends is a plus in med school? I know this is highly subjective and depends on each person, but I feel a lot of decisions that are made by premeds have a tendency to be impulsive and based on things like rank that may not really matter when it comes time for residency matching. For example:

A lot of ppl make a big deal abt top 10 schools, but wouldn't schools in the top 20-30 still offer almost equal residency options if that student does well in both places? Does a kid in the 3rd quartile at a top 10 school match just as well/better as a kid at in the 1st quartile at a top 20 school based on their school being ranked higher?-- is this a generalization that just can't be made period?

Regarding money, it seems like most premeds and a good # of med students say to go where you'll be happiest, even if the debt piles on, but i hear a disproportionate # of residents/physicians that say to go to the school that is the least expensive given that they are both ranked relatively highly. I used UTSW and UMich as an example b/c I feel UTSW is a top 20 school but UMich is usually regarded as a top 10 school. Do you think there's a clear advantage for either school here, or does it mostly depend on the individual?

Regarding enjoying a city, how much time to med students really have to "enjoy" the city? I'm just wondering if "being in a new city and having new friends and new experiences" is as glamorous as it sounds when you're in med school. Would more ppl agree that it's nicer to stay closer to family/friends?

I'm not trying to be presumptuous-- i just know im an indecisive person, and am trying to prioritize things and not trying to get into a situation where I regret a decision, even though that's hard to do when two choices look equally appealing.

It's an interesting question, and you bring up a lot of good points. I myself am a Michigan resident, and actually went to University of Michigan for my undergrad. Were I to get into U of M, I think I would HAVE to go there over any other school (short of Mayo, which is probably equally cheap, if not cheaper due to grants). Both the schools you mention are high level schools. In terms of ranking, I really don't see the difference being great enough to sway ME, at least, one way or another. The truth is you'll get a great education at both of them, and ultimately that's the most important thing. Now it might be worth your time to review their respective mission statements, curriculum, etc as well as wait and see the type of 'vibe' you get at interviews at each (again, we're assuming, but this is hypothetical after all). Speaking as someone who lived in Ann Arbor for quite some time, there are a lot of pluses to living there. It has a nice culture, nice restaurants, it's small, and it's safe. But don't think going there is the equal of going to a big city. There is FAR less to do there in terms of nightlife than any big city I've ever been to. I say this having just recently lived in Buenos Aires for 5 months; the difference was staggering. We would regularly curse our luck that a lot of the great shows and concerts - Dave Chapelle, for instance - were playing at Eastern Michigan University (just 15 minutes away) rather than Ann Arbor. Ultimately, you have to determine what's important to you. Being near my family would be miserable for me. I have no desire to inflict that stress upon my life. :) But if you have a strong relationship with yours, if that is important to you, then I say your (hypothetical) choice has already been made. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's an interesting question, and you bring up a lot of good points. I myself am a Michigan resident, and actually went to University of Michigan for my undergrad. Were I to get into U of M, I think I would HAVE to go there over any other school (short of Mayo, which is probably equally cheap, if not cheaper due to grants). Both the schools you mention are high level schools. In terms of ranking, I really don't see the difference being great enough to sway ME, at least, one way or another. The truth is you'll get a great education at both of them, and ultimately that's the most important thing. Now it might be worth your time to review their respective mission statements, curriculum, etc as well as wait and see the type of 'vibe' you get at interviews at each (again, we're assuming, but this is hypothetical after all). Speaking as someone who lived in Ann Arbor for quite some time, there are a lot of pluses to living there. It has a nice culture, nice restaurants, it's small, and it's safe. But don't think going there is the equal of going to a big city. There is FAR less to do there in terms of nightlife than any big city I've ever been to. I say this having just recently lived in Buenos Aires for 5 months; the difference was staggering. We would regularly curse our luck that a lot of the great shows and concerts - Dave Chapelle, for instance - were playing at Eastern Michigan University (just 15 minutes away) rather than Ann Arbor. Ultimately, you have to determine what's important to you. Being near my family would be miserable for me. I have no desire to inflict that stress upon my life. :) But if you have a strong relationship with yours, if that is important to you, then I say your (hypothetical) choice has already been made. :)

Thanks for that input-- Ann Arbor does seem like a great city, but I'm not sure how well a Texan would handle the Michigan weather. Did you have any friends from the South that weren't complaining abt the weather all the time? :xf::)

How abt the competitive nature of the school during the clinical yrs? I know Southwestern has changed their ways for the better. I've heard some ppl talk abt UMich being really competitive during 3rd yr, but that could just be hearsay. Maybe you've heard something about this? And that's interesting you say that you don't really find a difference in ranking between the schools-- I guess at that point, one would have to ask themselves if $50K is worth the new experience or whether it's better to save the money and go for the convenience (or hell, whichever way you view family :laugh:). I gotta be honest though, heat doesn't phase me, but I have a feeling the bitter cold would just b/c I've never really experienced it. God I sound like a wimp :oops:

And that's a tragedy Dave Chappelle didn't make it out to your campus-- he's def. my favorite comedian. Everyone calls it stupid humor but i think he's freakin' ingenius!! :laugh:

Thanks for that input-- Ann Arbor does seem like a great city, but I'm not sure how well a Texan would handle the Michigan weather. Did you have any friends from the South that weren't complaining abt the weather all the time? :xf::)

My friend, even the Michigan natives complain about the weather.

I recall walking into my physics class one year only to be greeted by my professor with "Here's a fun fact: It's colder today in Ann Arbor than it is in SIBERIA".

Ahem. :)

How abt the competitive nature of the school during the clinical yrs? I know Southwestern has changed their ways for the better. I've heard some ppl talk abt UMich being really competitive during 3rd yr, but that could just be hearsay. Maybe you've heard something about this?

I have a couple of friends in their 4th year now of Med School, and while there there certainly is a competitive vibe at the school, I don't think it's anything more extreme than what you would get at most other schools. No one is sabotaging your work, and people are still studying in groups, etc. By then you have hopefully found your group of friends and it's not an issue.

I can't say anything with any real authority, mind you. This is heresay from friends of mine, but 'tis the best I can do. :)

And that's interesting you say that you don't really find a difference in ranking between the schools-- I guess at that point, one would have to ask themselves if $50K is worth the new experience or whether it's better to save the money and go for the convenience (or hell, whichever way you view family :laugh:).

I'm not going to say that ranking doesn't make SOME difference, but if we're talking about a difference of 10-15 spots here, I just don't see what kind of substantive difference that is going to make on your residency placement. If you do well, you'll get to go where you want in either case. And if the conditions of one school appear to you to be more conducive to success (being close to family/friends/familiar areas) than that is probably another aspect to consider.

I gotta be honest though, heat doesn't phase me, but I have a feeling the bitter cold would just b/c I've never really experienced it. God I sound like a wimp :oops:

Haha, not at all. It's a personal preference. I've lived in a number of places, changes in temperature don't really bother me to much (though I do prefer the heat), but these things matter! This is the next 4 years of your life! And, while I don't know this for sure, I've heard from a number of people that the location of medical school you go to DOES tend to have an impact on residency placements. Not that you couldn't go to say, California, from U of M, but I've heard it's more likely that you'll be put somewhere in the Midwest or East Coast.

And that's a tragedy Dave Chappelle didn't make it out to your campus-- he's def. my favorite comedian. Everyone calls it stupid humor but i think he's freakin' ingenius!! :laugh:

No offense to those you know who call it stupid humor, but they've never heard the man speak seriously if they think he's stupid. He's articulate and intelligent and absolutely insightful at times! Even his standup has moments that make you think!

And...yeah. He's hilarious. There is nothing wrong with laughing at an exploding toilet in slow mo. :) If that's immature, I don't want to grow up!

1) you have no idea it's based on "nothing"
2) hypothetical situations may not help you, but it can help others-- in this case, hearing advice from others could help me better prioritize, at least that's the hope
3) who are you to tell me when i need to worry abt things? if you weren't so quick to judge, you would have maybe seen my intentions for asking what i asked..err or maybe not
4) regarding the "pretentious" accusation, shindotp couldn't have phrased it better. thanks shindotp

My friend, even the Michigan natives complain about the weather.

I recall walking into my physics class one year only to be greeted by my professor with "Here's a fun fact: It's colder today in Ann Arbor than it is in SIBERIA".

Ahem. :)

:eek:

I have a couple of friends in their 4th year now of Med School, and while there there certainly is a competitive vibe at the school, I don't think it's anything more extreme than what you would get at most other schools. No one is sabotaging your work, and people are still studying in groups, etc. By then you have hopefully found your group of friends and it's not an issue.

I can't say anything with any real authority, mind you. This is heresay from friends of mine, but 'tis the best I can do. :)

Good to know. :thumbup:

I'm not going to say that ranking doesn't make SOME difference, but if we're talking about a difference of 10-15 spots here, I just don't see what kind of substantive difference that is going to make on your residency placement. If you do well, you'll get to go where you want in either case. And if the conditions of one school appear to you to be more conducive to success (being close to family/friends/familiar areas) than that is probably another aspect to consider.

Yea, I guess the bottom line is that I'm wondering whether the name of a school that's ranked slightly higher would offer someone certain opportunities/advantages upon graduating. I know UMich would have things like dual degrees if one was interested, but mainly what I wanted to know was whether a kid at UMich that's not doing as well within their class (3rd-4th quartile) could be seen just as favorably as a kid in the 1st/2nd quartile at UTSW. I'm guessing general consensus on that would be a "No." I guess I even bring this type of specific case up because I know a lot of the kids that go to UMich are from all over the country whereas kids at UTSW are mainly from TX-- so I thought that would give them more recognition nationwide and could maybe help a student not doing as well. Any thoughts on this? Not counting on doing bad in school or anything, but it could happen.

Haha, not at all. It's a personal preference. I've lived in a number of places, changes in temperature don't really bother me to much (though I do prefer the heat), but these things matter! This is the next 4 years of your life! And, while I don't know this for sure, I've heard from a number of people that the location of medical school you go to DOES tend to have an impact on residency placements. Not that you couldn't go to say, California, from U of M, but I've heard it's more likely that you'll be put somewhere in the Midwest or East Coast.

Think the social life in Ann Arbor makes up adequately for the weather during the winters? And yea, I've heard that things are highly regional, but then I also hear that an away rotation can take care of that?

No offense to those you know who call it stupid humor, but they've never heard the man speak seriously if they think he's stupid. He's articulate and intelligent and absolutely insightful at times! Even his standup has moments that make you think!

And...yeah. He's hilarious. There is nothing wrong with laughing at an exploding toilet in slow mo. :) If that's immature, I don't want to grow up!

Yea I second him being a genius. From time to time I'll watch his R Kelly-Ignition parodies. Hahah those never get old! :laugh:

Yea, I guess the bottom line is that I'm wondering whether the name of a school that's ranked slightly higher would offer someone certain opportunities/advantages upon graduating. I know UMich would have things like dual degrees if one was interested, but mainly what I wanted to know was whether a kid at UMich that's not doing as well within their class (3rd-4th quartile) could be seen just as favorably as a kid in the 1st/2nd quartile at UTSW. I'm guessing general consensus on that would be a "No." I guess I even bring this type of specific case up because I know a lot of the kids that go to UMich are from all over the country whereas kids at UTSW are mainly from TX-- so I thought that would give them more recognition nationwide and could maybe help a student not doing as well. Any thoughts on this? Not counting on doing bad in school or anything, but it could happen.

Here my knowledge base is a little bit...weak. Here is the thing, I can only tell you my experience as an undergrad, but this exact 'problem' came up. As a resident of Michigan, there were a number of undergraduate institutions I could have attended in state (which I was dead set on due to price), but ultimately I choose U of M in part because I liked the area, but mostly because they are the best in the state. Now the classes there are, in my opinion, a good deal more rigorous than at some of the other schools in the area. That probably sounds more than a little arrogant, but I had friends that were getting straight C's in their sciences class at U of M and then went to another school in Michigan and were getting more than 100% in all of their high level science classes, studying much less than they did at UMich.

It would seem to me, then, that this should be taken into consideration in a Med School review and, from talking with various people in admission positions, it is....but only just. The functional equivalent is that they had something like .1 to your GPA for coming from one of these highly ranked institutions. That, I dont' think, reflects the actual difference in GPAs that would/does arise.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining...it is what it is, and I'm fine with that. I don't regret going to U of M. But assuming that something similar holds for the Med School, it seems to be a much better decision to go to a place in which you feel more comfortable.

Think the social life in Ann Arbor makes up adequately for the weather during the winters? And yea, I've heard that things are highly regional, but then I also hear that an away rotation can take care of that?

Where are you from? Dallas? I have to imagine that the social life in Dallas is going to be more vibrant than the social life in Ann Arbor, if only because you're from a big city.

Ann Arbor has a number of great places to party and do stuff - State Street, Main Street, South Street - but I want to stress that it is NOT a big city. It is a small town, that has a bit of the feel of a cultured big city (nice restaurants, cool bars).

My personal experience, socially, was great, but there were also certainly days when you didn't feel like leaving your house due to the cold. It's always goin to be easier to party when it's warm out.

Yea I second him being a genius. From time to time I'll watch his R Kelly-Ignition parodies. Hahah those never get old! :laugh:

I sip crys, you drink piss. :)

Here my knowledge base is a little bit...weak. Here is the thing, I can only tell you my experience as an undergrad, but this exact 'problem' came up. As a resident of Michigan, there were a number of undergraduate institutions I could have attended in state (which I was dead set on due to price), but ultimately I choose U of M in part because I liked the area, but mostly because they are the best in the state. Now the classes there are, in my opinion, a good deal more rigorous than at some of the other schools in the area. That probably sounds more than a little arrogant, but I had friends that were getting straight C's in their sciences class at U of M and then went to another school in Michigan and were getting more than 100% in all of their high level science classes, studying much less than they did at UMich.

It would seem to me, then, that this should be taken into consideration in a Med School review and, from talking with various people in admission positions, it is....but only just. The functional equivalent is that they had something like .1 to your GPA for coming from one of these highly ranked institutions. That, I dont' think, reflects the actual difference in GPAs that would/does arise.

I don't mean to sound like I'm complaining...it is what it is, and I'm fine with that. I don't regret going to U of M. But assuming that something similar holds for the Med School, it seems to be a much better decision to go to a place in which you feel more comfortable.
Yea, I'm starting to think the med school experience, for the most part, is going to be similar as far as academics go. And since school probably consumes most of your time, it probably is best to go wherever one feels more comfortable. For me, I think that might be staying dangerously close to home. :D

Where are you from? Dallas? I have to imagine that the social life in Dallas is going to be more vibrant than the social life in Ann Arbor, if only because you're from a big city.

Ann Arbor has a number of great places to party and do stuff - State Street, Main Street, South Street - but I want to stress that it is NOT a big city. It is a small town, that has a bit of the feel of a cultured big city (nice restaurants, cool bars).

My personal experience, socially, was great, but there were also certainly days when you didn't feel like leaving your house due to the cold. It's always goin to be easier to party when it's warm out.

Yea, my family's from the Dallas area. My whole life is pretty much in TX, but sometimes it's nice to get away, far away. I think everyone feels like that on some level though. I never really find nightlife in Dallas to get old, but that's me-- the complaints I've gotten from some of my friends who are from up north usually involve the amount of driving that needs to be done here, or the types of people that are here. Lot more religion in the culture which gets old very fast. I suppose the friendly people around here makes up for it though.

I hear Ann Arbor's awesome from anyone that's lived there or went to school there. It seems like a very eclectic mix of ppl up there since ppl from all over attend UMich-- the school really knows how to recruit/advertise to out-of-staters. Only thing I've heard from some students is that Ann Arbor is way to yuppy for its own good?

I sip crys, you drink piss. :)
:laugh:

Yea, my family's from the Dallas area. My whole life is pretty much in TX, but sometimes it's nice to get away, far away. I think everyone feels like that on some level though. I never really find nightlife in Dallas to get old, but that's me-- the complaints I've gotten from some of my friends who are from up north usually involve the amount of driving that needs to be done here, or the types of people that are here. Lot more religion in the culture which gets old very fast. I suppose the friendly people around here makes up for it though.

Yeah, I feel driving or taking public transport is probably an issue anytime you go to a big city, though. It took some getting used to when I lived in a big city for a bit - I do much prefer the fact that I can get anywhere in about 10-15 minutes in Ann Arbor, walking - but it's far from terrible.

I hear Ann Arbor's awesome from anyone that's lived there or went to school there. It seems like a very eclectic mix of ppl up there since ppl from all over attend UMich-- the school really knows how to recruit/advertise to out-of-staters. Only thing I've heard from some students is that Ann Arbor is way to yuppy for its own good?

:laugh:

All true. There are a wide variety of people in AA, but we get a lot of...how do I say this nicely...douchebags with double popped collar polos (that means wearing two polo shirts, one over the other, and popping both collars), aviators in the dead of night, etc. But I've seen it much, MUCH worse at other institutions, and while you're going to meet some arrogant kids, the majority are good people.

Not really southern hospitality, but as you say, we don't have to deal with the fervent religious right too often either (no offense to anyone who is religiously right/morally conservative, it's just not my cup of tea) which is quite a boon.

Anyway, good luck getting into BOTH schools. I hope your hypothetical decision because a real world one. :)

PM me if have any q's abt UMich-- I'd be glad to answer them.

All true. There are a wide variety of people in AA, but we get a lot of...how do I say this nicely...douchebags with double popped collar polos (that means wearing two polo shirts, one over the other, and popping both collars), aviators in the dead of night, etc. But I've seen it much, MUCH worse at other institutions, and while you're going to meet some arrogant kids, the majority are good people.

Lol yea we also get our share of dbags who like to sport the affliction shirts to the clubs. And aviators at night are a pretty horrible sight to see-- i guess the aviators are tolerable in comparison to the Kanye shades haha

Not really southern hospitality, but as you say, we don't have to deal with the fervent religious right too often either (no offense to anyone who is religiously right/morally conservative, it's just not my cup of tea) which is quite a boon.

Yea, big boo on pushing any kind of organized religion. Not my cup of tea either. I just wish people were a little more informed here abt various religions/cultures-- many of them don't mean to disrespect, but the ignorance can get annoying at times.

Anyway, good luck getting into BOTH schools. I hope your hypothetical decision because a real world one. :)

Thanks and best of luck with UMich/Mayo! And thanks for all the info-- you were a great help. Let me know how things turn out for you. :thumbup:

Don't underestimate the suck of Michigan winters. However bad you may think they are, I assure you they are worse than that, mainly because of the length - winter will start in earnest in November, and you won't be truly out of the woods until mid April...get used to gray, dark, dreary days for months on end, and bone chilling cold.

Don't underestimate the suck of Michigan winters. However bad you may think they are, I assure you they are worse than that, mainly because of the length - winter will start in earnest in November, and you won't be truly out of the woods until mid April...get used to gray, dark, dreary days for months on end, and bone chilling cold.

wow, is it really that bad if you're not used to it? i'm guessing you're from MI? anyone else who has lived in MI wanna chime in on this?

Last april, I had a flight to go to Buenos Aires April 9th.

Two days before I left, it snowed. Heavily. When I left there were still inches of snow on the ground.

FML. :)

Last april, I had a flight to go to Buenos Aires April 9th.

Two days before I left, it snowed. Heavily. When I left there were still inches of snow on the ground.

FML. :)

uhhh...:eek:. I like how it basically snows from Nov-Apr. but all of the pics on UMich's website make it seem like it's sunny all yr..that's good advertising for ya :p

Ended up having to decide between these two schools-- went with UTSW. Cost difference was actually around 40-50K after tuition/grant from UMich. Hope I made the right choice! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.