Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed 1/29 and just got a phone call that I got in today. Take a deep breath, I think they are just finishing evaluating the 1/29 interviewees this week.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed 1/29 and just got a phone call that I got in today. Take a deep breath, I think they are just finishing evaluating the 1/29 interviewees this week.
Same here! Congrats

They don't seem to push for primary, but you'll need to do some legwork finding research opportunities if you are looking for a competitive specialty, as they aren't as common at DO schools is what I've heard.
I've spoken to some upper class men and they (the ones I spoke to) believe Western pushes primary care heavily. They said Western does not go out of their way, at all, to help facilitate away rotations for specialties etc.

My main concern is hearing one thing from upper class men and another from administration. Upper class men are the ones trying to gain access to certain hospitals for rotations (and aren't succeeding to a certain extent) but admin tells us there is nothing to worry about, we aren't losing rotation sites.

I guess we will find out who is right in a couple years.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've spoken to some upper class men and they (the ones I spoke to) believe Western pushes primary care heavily. They said Western does not go out of their way, at all, to help facilitate away rotations for specialties etc.

My main concern is hearing one thing from upper class men and another from administration. Upper class men are the ones trying to gain access to certain hospitals for rotations (and aren't succeeding to a certain extent) but admin tells us there is nothing to worry about, we aren't losing rotation sites.

I guess we will find out who is right in a couple years.

I know westernU lost riverside county rotation spot to UCR

According to our admin, everything is fine for Western students rotating at Riverside. They were asked this specific question at a townhall meeting and said the mix up was that our students were using the wrong school code or something like that.

It shouldn't affect our class but the Chief of surgery at Arrowhead (our main site/residency) is opening a medical school down here in a few years which could spell issues in the future.

I'm in at Touro CA and in wait list here at Western....tho I do feel especially good about my chances of getting in.

Anyone have any opinion on choosing one over the other?

FYI I'm a socal resident and am only considering CA schools.

I'm in at Touro CA and in wait list here at Western....tho I do feel especially good about my chances of getting in.

Anyone have any opinion on choosing one over the other?

FYI I'm a socal resident and am only considering CA schools.
I only applied CA also. I chose only to apply to Western because for the DO schools I believe Western has the best match statistics for DO schools and I am biased for Southern CA :)

Reactions: 1 user
Any OOSers coming here for March 14th? Or any suggestions on hotel/shuttles from airport to hotel, and hotel to the school? Thanks!

@Mr. MCAT I also interviewed on the 5th...my interviewer said that they wouldn't even be sitting down to meet and discuss the interview until the next Thursday (last Thursday) so considering this weekend was a holiday, give it a week or so. :)

@Mr. MCAT I also interviewed on the 5th...my interviewer said that they wouldn't even be sitting down to meet and discuss the interview until the next Thursday (last Thursday) so considering this weekend was a holiday, give it a week or so. :)
What time did the interview day end?

I thought they said they'd let us know this week sometime?

What time did the interview day end?

I thought they said they'd let us know this week sometime?

The day ended at 2pm! It goes really fast but you will get an extensive orientation of the school and tour.

And Ya this week sometime I hope! They met last Thursday for decisions. So I'm hoping my mailbox brings good news soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOSers coming here for March 14th? Or any suggestions on hotel/shuttles from airport to hotel, and hotel to the school? Thanks!

Fly in to Ontario because it's only about 10 mins from the school and stay at the Comfort Inn, it's cheap and super close to campus and guaranteed you'll meet several people interviewing at the hotel breakfast the next morning. I met like 6 other interviewees!

yeah I'm thinking we will know by Friday. That's when the group that interviewed before us found out.

Hola amigos! Just dropping in to see how its all going/procrastinating like always. Good luck again to everyone and if you have any questions, feel free to ask/message me!
And if anyone is musically inclined and is coming to western, you're gonna have lots of fun :D

I am musically inclined. Why will I have lots of fun? Dpes western have a good music-friendly atmosphere? Cuz that would certainly be an incentive for me to want to attend, assuming I get an offer.

Anyone hear back today?? I have no response so far. :(

Reactions: 1 users
I am musically inclined. Why will I have lots of fun? Dpes western have a good music-friendly atmosphere? Cuz that would certainly be an incentive for me to want to attend, assuming I get an offer.

Yes! Well Western really supports efforts for students to have fun and relax and music has become one way that has been happening. We've always had an A cappella group that does a good amount of events and we just started a group that performs full on concerts once a month during lunch and we provide free food! Last concert we estimated about 300 people came, it was 90s/2000s themed and A LOT of fun! So yes, if you're musically inclined, there's a lot you can do! Professors, Clinicians, Deans, and staff come out and sometimes even do lead vocals. For me it s the highlight of my month! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Fly in to Ontario because it's only about 10 mins from the school and stay at the Comfort Inn, it's cheap and super close to campus and guaranteed you'll meet several people interviewing at the hotel breakfast the next morning. I met like 6 other interviewees!
What did you to for getting to the hotel, then to the interview?

What did you to for getting to the hotel, then to the interview?

I got a taxi from the airport, super easy and the front desk will help you out with that...I'd also suggest downloading Uber...you get a free $20 credit on your first trip and it tends to be much cheaper...but it isn't a far drive anyways. And the Comfort Inn was awesome and called me a taxi to pick me up the morning of the interview! However, I ended up canceling because I met other interviewers (guarenteed you will meet some) at breakfast that morning (they have free breakfast at 6am) who offered to drive me to and from the interview. It's very close to the campus, so you won't have any problem!

Any recommendations for housing near campus? reviews for '777' seem horrid, not sure if helix or Daumier are any better...

I got a taxi from the airport, super easy and the front desk will help you out with that...I'd also suggest downloading Uber...you get a free $20 credit on your first trip and it tends to be much cheaper...but it isn't a far drive anyways. And the Comfort Inn was awesome and called me a taxi to pick me up the morning of the interview! However, I ended up canceling because I met other interviewers (guarenteed you will meet some) at breakfast that morning (they have free breakfast at 6am) who offered to drive me to and from the interview. It's very close to the campus, so you won't have any problem!
Thanks for the help! If I wasn't getting in so late Friday I wouldn't be as worried.

Just called western for the feb 5 interview people they said they just finished decisions and that it's going to the dean for final approval so we won't know until late this week/early next week

Just called western for the feb 5 interview people they said they just finished decisions and that it's going to the dean for final approval so we won't know until late this week/early next week

So I guess they will be extending the deposit deadline? Didn't she say that our deposit of $2,000 would be due March 1?

So I guess they will be extending the deposit deadline? Didn't she say that our deposit of $2,000 would be due March 1?
That's what they told us but then again they told us we'd bear back last week and they haven't told us so who knows anymore at this point

Hi Everyone! I was put on the alternate list for this year and I was wondering if any of you knew what are the chances of getting off the list? Also Do you know when the last round of interviews are? I wanna know when i should be expecting the alternate list to move! Thanks:)

Hi Everyone! I was put on the alternate list for this year and I was wondering if any of you knew what are the chances of getting off the list? Also Do you know when the last round of interviews are? I wanna know when i should be expecting the alternate list to move! Thanks:)
I'm interviewing March 14th, not sure how many dates are past that.

My friend is a second year here and she interviewed on the last day of interviews in April when she interviewed, got wait listed and got in. So I guess you still have a good chance!

11/8/9 with two DO letters of rec from two Western DOs. I also volunteered and shadowed with a couple of the Western DO events as well as the various clinics associated with the school so I showed my definite interest in going there
Hello, can i ask you how you volunteered at western events? i tried shadowing the DO, but their waiting list is very long

So for those interviewed on Feb 5, the decision letters are going out tomorrow(Feb 24) and if accepted, the deposit will be pushed back to be due March 15 instead of March 1.

So for those interviewed on Feb 5, the decision letters are going out tomorrow(Feb 24) and if accepted, the deposit will be pushed back to be due March 15 instead of March 1.

Thank you!!! Good luck to you, it was so nice meeting you @ the interview!!!!!

If you interviewed on Jan 29th and didn't hear back yet your letters may be getting sent out too!

I called about 2 hours ago and admissions said they haven't been sent yet. The most specific they could get was "sometime this week."

I called about 2 hours ago and admissions said they haven't been sent yet. The most specific they could get was "sometime this week."
Ya when I called Monday they said this week or next week they weren't sure

That is so frustrating. God. I was anxious about this two weeks ago! Now imagine my anxiety level!

That is so frustrating. God. I was anxious about this two weeks ago! Now imagine my anxiety level!
I feel you. The same exact thing happened to me. It took way longer to get a decision than they said it would. I interviewed back in October, and I don't think I found out until about 5 weeks later. It was the most nerve-wracking time of my life, rushing to the mail box everyday to see if the letter was there lol. Hang in there, and good luck to all of you!

Any recommendations for housing near campus? reviews for '777' seem horrid, not sure if helix or Daumier are any better...
I have classmates in all 3 places. 777 is probably the cheapest, but it's hit or miss. The lack of a real fridge sucks and you could end up with bad neighbors.

Helix seems most people are happy living there. Still, not everyone living there is a student.

Daumier was extremely bad at the beginning of the year, but they have since fired the old management company and fixed most issues. Most people appear to be happy now. The downside is that it's over priced.

Email just came for the unfortunate. Best of luck to everyone else!

Oh no. I'm sorry. Shoot I'm nervous. So far no email but my emails have been getting sent to my dad from this school for some reason so I'm hoping that didn't happen again.

I just got the letter saying I'm accepted. The letter was marked Feb 24, so I think others might hear something very soon.

I just got the letter saying I'm an alternate. WHAT A FREAKING let down. :(

I just got the letter saying I'm accepted. The letter was marked Feb 24, so I think others might hear something very soon.

Congrats girl!!! I knew you'd get it! And Mr.MCAT that's still a good thing! A lot of people get pulled from alternate, it's not a rejection :) hoping to get a letter myself tomorrow!

Does anyone heard of or know anyone who has gotten into Western with less than a 3.5 and 28?

I was accepted off of the wait list with a 3.37 overall, a 3.26 science GPA and a 30 MCAT.
I have my MPH.
I was interviewed on the last interview day.

Key advice: show passion, empathy, compassion, and be genuine. Think outside the box at your interview, make yourself memorable.

If you can add to your application in any way, you can do so. LOR, LOI, activities, experience, etc.
They re-evaluate all applications every time a seat opens up.

I was accepted off the wait list in late- June before I started medical school.

Keep your head up.

Congrats girl!!! I knew you'd get it! And Mr.MCAT that's still a good thing! A lot of people get pulled from alternate, it's not a rejection :) hoping to get a letter myself tomorrow!

I hope you get in too!!

Mr.MCAT, I agree with kick rocks. Don't lose hope yet

Nope. Hope is lost. there is no reason to go on.

Jk, it's okay. I've accepted my predicament. I have two more interviews (THANK GOD) so we will see about those.