Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone read over Western's school budget website? What does the separate OMM budget apply to under the budget for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? I would think that OMM is already included in the tuition for the DO program...is this additional budget made for OMM teaching fellows?

https://www.westernu.edu/financial/financial-budgets/financial-budgets-osteopathy/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current applicant on pre-interview hold. Has anyone who was on pre-interview hold received an interview?
MCAT- 28, cGPA- 3.64, sGPA- 3.69

Current applicant on pre-interview hold. Has anyone who was on pre-interview hold received an interview?
MCAT- 28, cGPA- 3.64, sGPA- 3.69
Yes, scroll up and back a couple of pages. Nice stats, best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone been rejected since some people got on hold? Wondering if they actually reviewed apps or if they got overloaded and just put the apps on "hold".
If you don't want to post you got reject just PM

Anyone know how to submit a letter of interest here?

Is it too late to send a secondary here? I have a 3.4 undergrad gpa, 3.8 in an smp, and 512 MCAT.
Shadowed 2 MD's. Getting an MD letter this week.

Is it too late to send a secondary here? I have a 3.4 undergrad gpa, 3.8 in an smp, and 512 MCAT.
Shadowed 2 MD's. Getting an MD letter this week.
I think it's worth it even if you only have a .5% chance of getting acceptance. If you have the money then go for it!

How many days a week do you guys imagine I'd have to be on campus during OMS1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any new interviews period?

Reactions: 1 users
Hello, I'm new to SDN but I got my acceptance offer in December :)
Are there any current COMP students who don't mind answering some questions I have? via PM or email..
Cheers

Yo, got some snailmail today after interviewing 09/24/15. Not a complete rejection (whew) but not an acceptance either--but definitely better than being in the dark after 3 weeks. Verdict: I am on the alternates list.

Apparently here's how it works for those wondering:

1. Update your application periodically/send in letters of intent/additionally LORs.
2.They review your application again on a routine basis.
3.They'll notify you given an opening in the class--people dropping their deposits (typically around March --> August)

Congrats on those who've gotten in, GL to future interviewees~

UPDATE: Got good news over the phone a few days ago. Upgrading from Alternate's List --> Acceptance!
-It looks like they truly review your application on a routine basis so for folks on the list still keep updating! Good luck.

Did you send them any updates or letter of intent? How long after the waitlist did you get the call? Thanks!!

I interviewed in early October. I never sent them any updates, so it was a pleasant surprise when I got the call. I thought my mmi's and interview went well, but was placed on the alternate list.

Reactions: 1 user
Just now rejected pre-interview :cryi::cryi::cryi: Really thought I had a great chance here.

Just got accepted off the waitlist as well!

Anyone thought about living arrangement/roommate situations yet? I'm looking for a female roommate so please contact me if you are as well!

If people applied here with less than a 500 MCAT and did not have secondaries complete before November, I'd say that's pretty crazy. I wonder if it's due to underestimation of DO schools.

Anyone else having trouble paying their deposit online?

Has anyone had an updated decision status on BanWeb which said "Please contact admissions office?" They updated my supplementary material dates a couple of days ago and now the "Decision" field has that written in it. I'm going to contact them tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar.

Has anyone had an updated decision status on BanWeb which said "Please contact admissions office?" They updated my supplementary material dates a couple of days ago and now the "Decision" field has that written in it. I'm going to contact them tomorrow, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had encountered anything similar.
I have that as well. What did it say before?

+1. That field used to be blank.

I have that as well. What did it say before?

I just searched this thread and the COMP NW one to see if anyone else had posted about a similar status update. The only thing that I found was that the status seemed to be meaningless and just disappeared on its own a couple of days later. One of the people said that he/she contacted admissions and the person they spoke with didn't know anything about it.

I have that too. I got filled with slight hope thinking their rejection was a mistake lol... welp looks like it's nothing special. I'll probably call in the morning too anyway.

Any of you guys on pre-II hold? I've been complete and ready for review for quite some time now, but didn't receive the infamous hold everyone's been getting.

Any of you guys on pre-II hold? I've been complete and ready for review for quite some time now, but didn't receive the infamous hold everyone's been getting.

Nope, I've just been complete and the "Decision" field has been blank. I noticed that the date on one of my supplementary materials got changed a couple of days ago, but the "Decision" field remained blank. And then today the "Please contact admissions office" script appeared, but I haven't received any correspondence regarding an II, a hold, or a rejection yet.

Nope, I've just been complete and the "Decision" field has been blank. I noticed that the date on one of my supplementary materials got changed a couple of days ago, but the "Decision" field remained blank. And then today the "Please contact admissions office" script appeared, but I haven't received any correspondence regarding an II, a hold, or a rejection yet.
Nice. When were you complete and ready for review of you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:
You better email them real quick if you haven't figured out the problem lol. That Jan 15 deadline yo!

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, don't try to pay it on a work or school computer.

Just in case anyone else has the same problem, don't try to pay it on a work or school computer.
I don't know why, but an unbelievable amount of Western's online databases are not accessible from other networks outside of my home.

Does anyone know how the curriculum is structured? Is it mostly lectures or small group learning?

Nice. When were you complete and ready for review of you don't mind me asking?

All of my stuff was listed as received on the website by the second week of December. However, I didn't get a "complete" e-mail until about a week into January. And then, for some reason, my MCAT score report receipt date changed a couple of days ago.

I don't know if you contacted Admissions or not, but the status just randomly disappeared from my "Decision" field today on its own.

All of my stuff was listed as received on the website by the second week of December. However, I didn't get a "complete" e-mail until about a week into January. And then, for some reason, my MCAT score report receipt date changed a couple of days ago.

I don't know if you contacted Admissions or not, but the status just randomly disappeared from my "Decision" field today on its own.
Same

Guys, I didn't even know I could check my status on the Western website. I looked through my application complete email, but I couldn't find the link to where I could see the application status.

Guys, I didn't even know I could check my status on the Western website. I looked through my application complete email, but I couldn't find the link to where I could see the application status.
Locate the email they sent you to complete the secondary and there should be a link to BanWeb.

As far as I know it, any status besides initially getting COMPLETE is unreliable in terms of actual meaning. Many accepted students went from that initial complete and having it not change at all until after paying the first deposit. The statuses aren't too important. What IS important is getting that 909 area code phone call anywhere from 0700 to 2200 on a non-Sunday lmao

Reactions: 2 users
Any new interviews period?

Just for those wondering I was on hold and received an invite a few days ago. Pretty ecstatic about this one!

Does anyone know if WesternU gives their med students cadavers? I heard their PA students learn anatomy from DVDs and I was wondering if it was also true for their med students.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if WesternU gives their med students cadavers? I heard their PA students learn anatomy from DVDs and I was wondering if it was also true for their med students.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
I got mine in the mail a few days ago.

Reactions: 2 users