Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well I just left the body in the box since it was leaking. It should be okay in my back yard...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Just for those wondering I was on hold and received an invite a few days ago. Pretty ecstatic about this one!
When were you complete and when did you get the hold email and the II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Withdrew my II from here, hope it goes to one of you.

II today! Complete 12/17. Dates offered were 1/28 or 2/11.

Has anyone tried to email them asking for additional dates? I'll be out of town on both those dates :/

Also: any tips for the interview? It'll be my first one (this cycle/ever) so I'm VERY nervous especially with the MMI and essay!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
II today! Complete 12/17. Dates offered were 1/28 or 2/11.

Has anyone tried to email them asking for additional dates? I'll be out of town on both those dates :/

Also: any tips for the interview? It'll be my first one (this cycle/ever) so I'm VERY nervous especially with the MMI and essay!

Don't be nervous. The experience is great. Just be yourself, and you will do awesome. The essay is very short and straightforward, and the MMI's are fun.

Don't be nervous. The experience is great. Just be yourself, and you will do awesome. The essay is very short and straightforward, and the MMI's are fun.

Thank you for the encouraging words. Has anyone had any experience with rescheduling or asking for alternate interview dates?

EDIT: Managed to reschedule my interview! For those who have interviewed, when does the interview day end? In the confirmation email, it says 2 pm. Then it says "expect to spend the day on campus". Want to figure out whether I can fly out that night of the interview

Last edited:
Thank you for the encouraging words. Has anyone had any experience with rescheduling or asking for alternate interview dates?

EDIT: Managed to reschedule my interview! For those who have interviewed, when does the interview day end? In the confirmation email, it says 2 pm. Then it says "expect to spend the day on campus". Want to figure out whether I can fly out that night of the interview
Hey pal. Fly out of Ontario airport if you can. It's like 15-20 mins away from Pomona.

II a month after being placed on hold for re-review. Super excited! There's hope for those who were given the same status update! =)

Hey pal. Fly out of Ontario airport if you can. It's like 15-20 mins away from Pomona.

That's the plan! Just trying to figure out when the interview day will be over to schedule my flight! Anyone?

That's the plan! Just trying to figure out when the interview day will be over to schedule my flight! Anyone?

Awesome that you were able to reschedule the interview. My interview day finished around 3:30. You can definitely fly out that evening. Good luck!

Does anyone know if WesternU gives their med students cadavers? I heard their PA students learn anatomy from DVDs and I was wondering if it was also true for their med students.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
Hands-on dissections with real cadavers. I don't know about the what the PA program is like, but most of the colleges use the anatomy lab and some colleges have their own cadavers allotted to them. it's a big facility and typically holds about 50+ cadavers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone think they just did "ok" on the interview and got in? I have a little above average stats 3.5/513, but don't think I crushed the interview or anything yesterday. However, I don't think I did bad either. Anybody?

When do classes start? I ask because many of the forms they ask me to submit must be within 6 month of the program start date. And yet, I'm looking everywhere for that date and I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me crazy.

Hello all, congratulations to all those that have been accepted and best of luck to those that are still in waiting. I am a first year at COMP so feel free to ask me any questions you may have via PM or on here. Giovanotto we started in early August, so my assumption is that class of 2020 will enter around the same time, but I can not be certain.

Anyone think they just did "ok" on the interview and got in? I have a little above average stats 3.5/513, but don't think I crushed the interview or anything yesterday. However, I don't think I did bad either. Anybody?
It's normal to feel that way! Especially for the MMI type interviews since they can be a bit awkward. The interview with faculty should of been pretty natural, but it very much ranges on who interviewed you. I felt solid after, but not everything was perfect...I was just happy to be there and went with the flow.

Western looks much more so into your extracurriculars and commitment to DO medicine than numbers I believe. I got in with a 26 MCAT and 3.8scGPA, so numbers get you in the door, but don't seem to matter all that much after.

Last edited:
You guys, during the interview I straight up bull****ted them through my teeth about only applying to DO. I only applied to a few DOs. It looks like I will be going DO, so I hope they didn't catch on my lie (I find it highly inappropriate for them to ask such a question. Whether or not I applied to other programs should not affect my candidacy at this one)

Did you end up getting in?
When do classes start? I ask because many of the forms they ask me to submit must be within 6 month of the program start date. And yet, I'm looking everywhere for that date and I can't find it anywhere. It's driving me crazy.[/QQUOTE]

You guys, during the interview I straight up bull****ted them through my teeth about only applying to DO. I only applied to a few DOs. It looks like I will be going DO, so I hope they didn't catch on my lie (I find it highly inappropriate for them to ask such a question. Whether or not I applied to other programs should not affect my candidacy at this one)

What exactly is inappropriate? It's more of a pressure situation question that makes you think on your feet.

I don't get it. Asking me if I applied to other schools doesn't seem like a pressure test...

I'd imagine that some applicants would fumble through this question deciding if they should lie or not. There really isn't a wrong answer to this question as long as you sound confident. There's very few applicants that only apply to one school and if you could reason why you applied to school A, B, and C..., then you gave a solid answer. From how I took it, they didn't care where or how many schools I applied to, as long as I gave a confident answer. I didn't feel as if this question was intrusive at all.

Does anyone know if third year students stay in one location the whole year? I know rotations are lottery based, but never found out if you are in one or multiple locations as an OMSIII.

Also, are the exams multiple choice/board like or are they written?

Last edited:
At my recent interview they said the adcom meets on Thursdays and sends out decision letters via snail mail 2 days later.
If you read earlier in this thread some people say that they first notify us by phonecall

If you read earlier in this thread some people say that they first notify us by phonecall

Everyone who gets accepted does get a phone call prior to the acceptance letter in the mail; however, it can take longer than they say during your interview. I interviewed on October 22, but I didn't receive my acceptance phone call until November 11. I wouldn't worry until people from your interview post acceptances in the thread.

Where can I get a list of possible rotation sites for years III & IV?

I think I was accepted today?!?!?!

I logged into Banweb and all week it has said Decision: ________
And today I logged in and it says Decision: Institution Acceptance

But I didn't get a phone call or email or anything

But that means I have been accepted, right????

when did u interview. i didnt get anything.... congrats

can someone else still waiting also confirm?

Anyone interview yesterday?

Sounds like a great sign. And you still might get a phone call this evening as they have been known to call pretty late. ☺️

Does anyone know if third year students stay in one location the whole year? I know rotations are lottery based, but never found out if you are in one or multiple locations as an OMSIII.

Also, are the exams multiple choice/board like or are they written?

most of the sites are around the LA area and Inland empire but a few are farther away. You may have a couple at the same place but mostly you will be going to a different site each rotation. Tests are multiple choice.

most of the sites are around the LA area and Inland empire but a few are farther away. You may have a couple at the same place but mostly you will be going to a different site each rotation. Tests are multiple choice.

Thanks. Do most students live in one location and drive to the various rotations, or do they move a few times throughout the year?

Thanks. Do most students live in one location and drive to the various rotations, or do they move a few times throughout the year?

Most live in one location for the majority of their rotations but there may be a couple where you may have to move. It really just depends on how much time you want to commute. I have 2 I will be moving for. However, Im sure there are some that will not have to move more or less during the year.

Last edited:
Can people who are waiting for a decision log on to BanWeb to check if they also have the "Institutional Acceptance"? I don't have such a thing. I hope that is not a bad sign:arghh:

Western(34).jpg
Here is a map of nearly all rotations sites during years 3 and 4 at Western.
Obviously, living in East LA would be a good idea.

Can people who are waiting for a decision log on to BanWeb to check if they also have the "Institutional Acceptance"? I don't have such a thing. I hope that is not a bad sign:arghh:

I interviewed 1/16 and I see an Acceptance with a button to accepted an 'offer letter' on my BanWeb. I haven't been notified by phone or mail yet. Hope that helps.

View attachment 200067
Here is a map of nearly all rotations sites during years 3 and 4 at Western.
Obviously, living in East LA would be a good idea.

Love that you have Steam open on your taskbar.

Does anyone know how full the class is?

Does anyone know how full the class is?
According to the presentation on Thursday, 1/28, they said it was a bit more than full.

I meant half full lol.

Just checked mine and it says Institutional Acceptance as well. The bottom of the page has an Accept Offer button. No call or snail mail yet.

Just checked mine and it says Institutional Acceptance as well. The bottom of the page has an Accept Offer button. No call or snail mail yet.
I interviewed 1/16 and I see an Acceptance with a button to accepted an 'offer letter' on my BanWeb. I haven't been notified by phone or mail yet. Hope that helps.

thank you. Just checked again and it is still blank! I guess that means I was rejected/put on a waitlist. Although I would have went here if accepted, it is bittersweet. I was much more impressed by another school I interviewed at. Its just going to be more expensive :/ Oh well. I also couldn't swallow the 2000 dollar deposit. I hope in the long-run it won't even matter! Good luck to the rest of you applicants :)

thank you. Just checked again and it is still blank! I guess that means I was rejected/put on a waitlist. Although I would have went here if accepted, it is bittersweet. I was much more impressed by another school I interviewed at. Its just going to be more expensive :/ Oh well. I also couldn't swallow the 2000 dollar deposit. I hope in the long-run it won't even matter! Good luck to the rest of you applicants :)

It's pretty early to throw your hands up... Maybe you will be wait listed, so don't give up hope. I won't be accepting my offer, so I hope it goes to you.

Has anyone who interviewed on 1/21 seen anything on banweb?

Anyone complete back in October still sitting on nothing but silence? I noticed that most people in this thread complete around that time were either put on hold or flat out rejected. Watching all these pre-II holds turn into II's makes me kinda wish I was put on hold :(