2009-2010 Brown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wow, 6500 character limit for the second essay? Is anyone using max character limit? I don't think I can. This secondary is quite hard.:(

Members don't see this ad.

wow, 6500 character limit for the second essay? Is anyone using max character limit? I don't think I can. This secondary is quite hard.:(

I don't think this secondary is supposed to be as hard as the 6500 character limit makes it seem, but the 6500 is intimidating. I don't plan on coming anywhere close to that many characters. I would say just write what you can and don't try to BS them. If that is 1000 characters, just go with it. That is going to be my new approach.

I don't think this secondary is supposed to be as hard as the 6500 character limit makes it seem, but the 6500 is intimidating. I don't plan on coming anywhere close to that many characters. I would say just write what you can and don't try to BS them. If that is 1000 characters, just go with it. That is going to be my new approach.

I like your approach.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted. $95 was kind of costly for a private school.

I received the viewbook from Brown yesterday. The only thing that would have convinced me to want to go there more would have been a personal Brown cheerleader. :love:

absolutely! amazing school..i can only dream..

absolutely! amazing school..i can only dream..

That viewbook got me really excited about this school as well. I would love to have the opportunity to interview here. First I just need to finish this dang secondary, I still don't know why it is taking me so long.

That viewbook got me really excited about this school as well. I would love to have the opportunity to interview here. First I just need to finish this dang secondary, I still don't know why it is taking me so long.

looking through some mdapps of last year is intimidating. brown's interview invitations seem to be reserved for the highest stats

but still...:xf:

looking through some mdapps of last year is intimidating. brown's interview invitations seem to be reserved for the highest stats

but still...:xf:

Yea, they are intimidating - but the whole application process is intimidating :mad: Oh well. Just do our best I guess?

Wow, I sound like one of those corny saturday morning cartoon shows :laugh: I guess this is what happens after you just snap from all the silly-ness of the application process?

I'm starting to find Brown really appealing. I hope they like me as well.

I agree, the viewbook makes me want to go there so much. It took me at least 4 tries to write/outline the essays to get it right. For a while, I struggled with understanding what verb tense they wanted it with.

My essay's currently at 5200 characters. I think it's a little high. Where have everyone else been getting their lengths on?

I agree, the viewbook makes me want to go there so much. It took me at least 4 tries to write/outline the essays to get it right. For a while, I struggled with understanding what verb tense they wanted it with.

My essay's currently at 5200 characters. I think it's a little high. Where have everyone else been getting their lengths on?

This has been probably my biggest issue. I keep switching between future and present. I am still typing up the second essay, but I am at about 1200 characters currently on the second paragraph. I think mine will come out to be around 4,000 characters maybe. I don't think 5200 characters is bad, unless you are just really BSing a lot. They give us a 6500 character limit to freely express ourselves.

anyone sent in their secondary and got an e-mail saying they were complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the second essay, did you guys write it in past tense or future tense? Are we supposed to act like we are remembering doing these things, or are we supposed to say what we plan to acheive?

i didn't get the complete e-mail. i just re-read what they sent me when i submitted, and they mention it takes about 2-3 weeks to process apps. i am getting too anxious.....

For the second essay, did you guys write it in past tense or future tense? Are we supposed to act like we are remembering doing these things, or are we supposed to say what we plan to acheive?

This prompt is just asking for a lot of awkward phrasing and verb usage problems.

"I hope that I will have been practicing medicine for 10 years..."
"I was not sure which scholarly concentration I chose, but I chose one of them which gave me today." :laugh:

???

This prompt is just asking for a lot of awkward phrasing and verb usage problems.

"I hope that I will have been practicing medicine for 10 years..."
"I was not sure which scholarly concentration I chose, but I chose one of them which gave me today." :laugh:

???

:laugh: This is completely true. I guess I will just try to look for one that seems like something I would likely do, and then imagine that I did it. I guess it is time for me to go back and rewrite this secondary AGAIN.

Quoted for emphasis. I don't know why.. but of the viewbooks/materials I've received from various med schools - Brown's just really stands out. Maybe they lace it with some fancy volatile addictive chemical.

Whatever it is; it works.

What I really found hilarious was the part of their secondary app where you have to talk about the bio/phys/chem courses etc. They have a section where you just write up a short essay if you think you've met the requirements through out-of-class work like APs/life experiences etc. Hah - that's awesome. They aren't hard <behinders>!

On July 9 I got the "Thank you for submitting your secondary" email. In the email it said: "Please expect a processing time of 2-3 weeks. After your application is processed, you will receive an email with instructions on how to activate your Brown account."

Has anyone received these instructions??

On July 9 I got the "Thank you for submitting your secondary" email. In the email it said: "Please expect a processing time of 2-3 weeks. After your application is processed, you will receive an email with instructions on how to activate your Brown account."

Has anyone received these instructions??

I got this email.

so no one has gotten the actual instructions it seems..

I assumed we had to activate our Brown account before we could open the secondary, thus I assumed I had already done this activation stuff. I did not receive any instructions about it though. Perhaps they accidentally included that line from an old email?

I know how to access the secondary, that was never a problem, I submitted my secondary ages ago. What I am talking about is the status page. The email they sent me post secondary said that they would send info on how to set up and login to the status page, but they never sent any information. I wanted to know if anyone was able to resolve this and actually login to the status page.

I just finally submitted this sucker a couple of hours ago. I had to call my credit card company to get the payment to go through, but it is done. I have no clue why this thing took me so long. I hope they like me at Brown, because I like them.

So Emma Watson from Harry Potter will be attending Brown as a college freshman this year. You guys think she would go out with a poor Alpert medical student?:p

i'm in love, but brown is going to break my heart i can feel it.

still: :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

i'm in love, but brown is going to break my heart i can feel it.

still: :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

We can't hve that negativity on here!!! Stay positive! We will all get interviews here. Also, maybe they will forget to let in the PMLE or PLME whatever people into the school this year. :smuggrin:

whooo submitted my secondary application just now! Hopefully they'll give me a shot :)

:xf:

We can't hve that negativity on here!!! Stay positive! We will all get interviews here. Also, maybe they will forget to let in the PMLE or PLME whatever people into the school this year. :smuggrin:

:laugh: okay i'll think positively for myself, negatively for those kids

:thumbup:

for the 1st prompt, do you guys think we can just provide all our activities in list form with a short description? It would be easier to read for the committee.

for the 1st prompt, do you guys think we can just provide all our activities in list form with a short description? It would be easier to read for the committee.

yeah i don't expect they're looking for essay form. i listed courses

I've been sitting on this secondary for about 10 days, but I finally got around to brainstorming some ideas for the second prompt. I just spent some time looking at their preclinical electives - I don't know if I've ever seen such a diverse range of options, and that's really exciting. I'd like to think that with the opportunity to take my education into my own hands, I would take the reins and explore.

Still having a tough time with the prompt, though. Guess I should just buckle down and write it.

I've been sitting on this secondary for about 10 days, but I finally got around to brainstorming some ideas for the second prompt. I just spent some time looking at their preclinical electives - I don't know if I've ever seen such a diverse range of options, and that's really exciting. I'd like to think that with the opportunity to take my education into my own hands, I would take the reins and explore.

Still having a tough time with the prompt, though. Guess I should just buckle down and write it.

Their secondary took me quite awhile too, but when you really look into their school it really is incredible. Those really high character limits are kind of intimidating, but you just have to ignore them and bust it out.

Their secondary took me quite awhile too, but when you really look into their school it really is incredible. Those really high character limits are kind of intimidating, but you just have to ignore them and bust it out.

I will say, the essay is definitely forcing me to think about my education and the types of opportunities I want, and how those will affect my physician persona. Not to say that I haven't before, but I've never thought about myself this far in the future this specifically. Definitely interesting. I remember on the Pritzker secondary, they tell you students have learned a lot about themselves through writing these essays, and I have to agree that it's true.

I will say, the essay is definitely forcing me to think about my education and the types of opportunities I want, and how those will affect my physician persona. Not to say that I haven't before, but I've never thought about myself this far in the future this specifically. Definitely interesting. I remember on the Pritzker secondary, they tell you students have learned a lot about themselves through writing these essays, and I have to agree that it's true.

I kind of like the "why are you applying to school X?" essays. They really make you think about why you would want to go somewhere, instead of just applying to every medical school in the country. This one is especially interesting because of the aspect of it being you in the distant future.

they weren't kidding about the 2-3 week processing time..anyone get any info about activating their brown account?

they weren't kidding about the 2-3 week processing time..anyone get any info about activating their brown account?
Since I went there for undergrad, I was able to use my old password to access the status page. I am complete.

It will say something like "In process"

Oh Brunonia, I love thee.

How long does it take for them to send the view book after the secondary application email? I would like to see what the fuss is all about - and get some motivation

How long does it take for them to send the view book after the secondary application email? I would like to see what the fuss is all about - and get some motivation

A few days to a weekish.

i finally submitted this secondary. my response ended up being a little short of 5000 characters. but i must say... what an amazing school.

my apologies for asking such a basic question... but does the secondary app get emailed to you? or is there a link somewhere on the website?

just wanted to make sure i'm not overlooking something :)

thanks, and good luck everyone!!!

my apologies for asking such a basic question... but does the secondary app get emailed to you? or is there a link somewhere on the website?

just wanted to make sure i'm not overlooking something :)

thanks, and good luck everyone!!!

yeah... brown should e-mail you with a link to the secondary app. i'm not sure if the link is available on the regular website somewhere, but my advice would be to wait until you get the e-mail.

So Emma Watson from Harry Potter will be attending Brown as a college freshman this year. You guys think she would go out with a poor Alpert medical student?:p

Dude, that's part of the reason I'm applying to Brown.

Dude, that's part of the reason I'm applying to Brown.

... so that you can go out with a poor Alpert medical student?... i guess everyone has their reasons. :)

I have no idea if they received my LORs. I snail mailed them, and the status page just says secondary app submitted.

I have no idea if they received my LORs. I snail mailed them, and the status page just says secondary app submitted.
There is an actual status page where they indicate all materials that they have received including your AMCAS fee,MCAt scores, LOR, secondary app and whether you are complete or not you are complete. It's possible they have it but they are gonna send the password to your banner status page this week.

Since I am a Brown alum, I was able to check my status through the banner system. I am happy to say I am complete.

There is an actual status page where they indicate all materials that they have received including your AMCAS fee,MCAt scores, LOR, secondary app and whether you are complete or not you are complete. It's possible they have it but they are gonna send the password to your banner status page this week.

Since I am a Brown alum, I was able to check my status through the banner system. I am happy to say I am complete.

Is this "banner system" you speak of something the rest of us can access with out application PIN? All it says when I sign back into the secondary is that my application has been submitted. What makes you think they will send us an email about the banner page this week?

Status
Not open for further replies.