William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So there is no way I can use my letters in AACOMS for their secondaries? Is that means I have to ask my professors and the doctor to send my letter through snail mail to them again? I am so behind.... :(
I don't know where you got that idea. They receive all of your AACOMAS letters when they pull up your primary application.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I sent in my secondary in the beginning of October and received a payment receipt in the mail about a week ago. However, I never received an update about my secondary being completed, does anyone know how long it will take for them to review my application? I emailed them and they never got back to me. Thanks
I sent in my secondary around the same time as you. I never received a payment receipt (mail tracking confirmed receipt though). I called them last week and found out that the lady in charge was out of office for two weeks. But they checked incoming mail and told me they received my secondary. I called again this week and they confirmed that my application was complete and that they would review soon. I was told to call back next Monday if I didn't hear from them.

Lesson to be learned: If you need information, CALL THEM!

I sent in my secondary around the same time as you. I never received a payment receipt (mail tracking confirmed receipt though). I called them last week and found out that the lady in charge was out of office for two weeks. But they checked incoming mail and told me they received my secondary. I called again this week and they confirmed that my application was complete and that they would review soon. I was told to call back next Monday if I didn't hear from them.

Lesson to be learned: If you need information, CALL THEM!
Haha, I wrote that on here a couple of days ago when I called and found out that lady was going to be out for a few weeks.
Never mind on my last post. I called up to WCU-SOM and the lady who is responsible for processing secondary applications and application fees is going to be out this week and next. Just a FYI to whoever else had the same question.

Members don't see this ad :)
@oOKawaiiOo The day can end anywhere from like 2pm to 4pm depending how many people are in your group and what order you interview in. I went second and got out at like 2:20pm.

Haha, I wrote that on here a couple of days ago when I called and found out that lady was going to be out for a few weeks.
Yeah, I saw :)
I just wanted to make a point to all the folks here that if you really want an answer to your questions for any school, your best bet is to just call the admissions office. People are extremely busy with the whole process and probably get too many emails to answer in a "timely" manner. Also, if you call and have to leave a message, don't expect much of it. I found it easier to just keep trying every now and then until someone picks up.
One last thing: if you're not hearing back from a school (for secondary, completion, review, II), just go ahead and call them. With all the applications they have to deal with, letting them know you're on top of yours (hinting your interest) could expedite things for you. With email, you're on their time; with a phone call, they're on yours...

Reactions: 1 user
Oh that's very convenient! Did you also drop off the car at the airport too, before your flight home?

Ah, gotcha! lol

Yes, I did! :) They closed the Hertz center at the airport but they have a little key box where you can drop off your keys at the airport! You just have to specifically request that you would like them to bring your vehicle up to the airport when you land so it's ready to pick up.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I did! :) They closed the Hertz center at the airport but they have a little key box where you can drop off your keys at the airport! You just have to specifically request that you would like them to bring your vehicle up to the airport when you land so it's ready to pick up.
Geez, that sounds sketch

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you give more details in how to send LOR through AACOMAS? I emailed the admission regarding this question but never heard anything back from them.... Thank you so much!
Sorry, I haven't been checking this. Anyway, I had my premedical committee send my letters into AACOMAS (I'm in college). I'm not sure if you can do this without a committee. I'd call AACOMAS directly.

Could you give more details in how to send LOR through AACOMAS? I emailed the admission regarding this question but never heard anything back from them.... Thank you so much!
Sorry, I haven't been checking this. Anyway, I had my premedical committee send my letters into AACOMAS (I'm in college). I'm not sure if you can do this without a committee. I'd call AACOMAS directly.
Log in to AACOMAS, go to Supporting Information > Evaluations > Create Evaluation Request. Fill out the request form and the recipient will be able to upload directly to AACOMAS. Once the LOR is submitted by your letter writer, check AACOMAS to make sure it's been updated (a button pops up on the main page when you make changes to your app). You can also check the downloadable submission in the Program Status section. If it shows that the LOR was uploaded, all you have left to do is to contact (read call) the school to make sure they've downloaded your updated application containing your new LOR.

The recipient of your evaluation request could be anyone, which means your professors, shadowed doctors, or pre-med advisor/committee can submit their letters directly.

Log in to AACOMAS, go to Supporting Information > Evaluations > Create Evaluation Request. Fill out the request form and the recipient will be able to upload directly to AACOMAS. Once the LOR is submitted by your letter writer, check AACOMAS to make sure it's been updated (a button pops up on the main page when you make changes to your app). You can also check the downloadable submission in the Program Status section. If it shows that the LOR was uploaded, all you have left to do is to contact (read call) the school to make sure they've downloaded your updated application containing your new LOR.

The recipient of your evaluation request could be anyone, which means your professors, shadowed doctors, or pre-med advisor/committee can submit their letters directly.
Back in my day AACOMAS didnt have a letter service, we had to walk an extra 15 secs to interfolio snd pay extra cash too.

Back in my day AACOMAS didnt have a letter service, we had to walk an extra 15 secs to interfolio snd pay extra cash too.
Lol, this is the very first year they have it. I don't think interfolio or virtual eval are much different as far as difficulty.

So I have been getting quite a few PMs from people on the fence about this school. I think the best way to handle this is to post a professional and honest review of my first semester at Carey. I hope others will follow my lead and do the same. This semester is over in december so if you need to put down a deposit do not wait for mine or any review.

Well, I'm relieved they got my secondary (sent 10/12). Just got my payment receipt today.

Well, I'm relieved they got my secondary (sent 10/12). Just got my payment receipt today.
Same here. I called them again today and they said they would review this week. Fingers crossed!

Does this school call if you are accepted and roughly what timeframe does the notification of a final decision happen in? Thanks in advance!

Sent my secondary in Friday (11/6). Received it three days after submitting my primary. WC is at the top of my list so I am anxiously waiting for an interview call!

Sent my secondary in Friday (11/6). Received it three days after submitting my primary. WC is at the top of my list so I am anxiously waiting for an interview call!
Same here. Submitted last Friday! Let's wish for the best.

Does this school call if you are accepted and roughly what timeframe does the notification of a final decision happen in? Thanks in advance!
An email followed by official letter of acceptance is the common way. The time frame can be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks

I was accepted to this university 2 days ago and interviewed on 10/30 so not too long!

If anyone is having difficulties trying to decide if they want to go here, just remember that it's ultimately your decision. If you have serious doubts that make you question the school's character, why did you apply in the first place? The only people that would hate going to school here are as follows: those who hate OPP and those that can't manage to wake up and go to class consistently. William Carey takes OPP VERY seriously. If you really don't want to do the manipulative technique, chances are that you'll hate going here. Most people have to practice countless hours on top of studying for the their "traditional" medical school classes and still don't do exceedingly well because they don't take it seriously. The only knock I have against the program is the attendance policy. I would get a lot more studying done if I didn't have to go to class all day (or if I didn't mess around on SDN), but I signed up for it and have accepted that fact. It's really not all that bad, and I feel like I, at least, get to know my classmates a lot better because of the attendance policy. There are, of course, other reasons to hate this school, but nothing should stop you from becoming a doctor if that's what you truly want.

Oh, and don't read the forums from more than a year ago for this school and take it as literary canon. William Carey has changed numerous things about how it operates and students are having less of the same problems. I haven't heard of any major problems with my class this year, but I'm sure there are at least a few things people are nitpicking.

Last edited:
The only people that would hate going to school here are as follows: those who hate OPP and those that can't manage to wake up and go to class consistently. William Carey takes OPP VERY seriously. If you really don't want to do the manipulative technique, chances are that you'll hate going here. Most people have to practice countless hours on top of studying for the their "traditional" medical school classes and still don't do exceedingly well because they don't take it seriously. The only knock I have against the program is the attendance policy. I would get a lot more studying done if I didn't have to go to class all day (or if I didn't mess around on SDN), but I signed up for it and have accepted that fact. It's really not all that bad, and I feel like I, at least, get to know my classmates a lot better because of the attendance policy.

Oh, and don't read the forums from more than a year ago for this school and take it as literary canon. William Carey has changed numerous things about how it operates and students are having less of the same problems. I haven't heard of any major problems with my class this year, but I'm sure there are at least a few things people are nitpicking.

Do you think the attendance policy has any appreciable difference on your final grades or ability to really get the material down pat? (ie you would making full letter grades higher if the policy was not in place)

Last edited:
Just withdrew my acceptance here. It was legitimately the hardest decision I've ever had to make. :(

Do you think the attendance policy has any appreciable difference on your final grades or ability to really get the material down pat? (ie you would making full letter grades higher if the policy was not in place)
A full letter grade... Meh not sure. We would be alot more confident because we would have more time to study.

Just withdrew my acceptance here. It was legitimately the hardest decision I've ever had to make. :(

I understand the choice can be difficult. Thanks for posting here so that others dont feel abnormal because they too have difficulties with these choices.
Best of luck in your future endeavors

I haven't received an II here, yet, but if I do I think this is one of the few other schools I would visit and consider. Can any students weigh in on the best and worst things WCU has to offer, please?

I haven't received an II here, yet, but if I do I think this is one of the few other schools I would visit and consider. Can any students weigh in on the best and worst things WCU has to offer, please?
Carey is a new school so it is going through some growing pains and hasnt built up its rep yet. If you want to be a part of a school that is going through this transition, which has career changing plus and minuses and build a school for the gen and you are not going to let anything, i mean anything, push you out of the field you would succeed here.

I don't enjoy going to class when there's a big test coming, but I'm not doing worse by being there. If anything, I appreciate having to get up every day and stay on a schedule. I would be lazy if I stayed up all night studying, which would end terrible. I'm by no means the top of my class, but I have not come close to failing any test, either.

Hey guys, could anyone tell me the turnaround time to hear about an II upon being complete?

Hey guys, could anyone tell me the turnaround time to hear about an II upon being complete?
I sent my secondary in early October and I would not have heard back from them at all had I not called them. Two weeks ago, they said my file was complete and ready to review. Last week Monday, they said they would review sometime that week. I didn't hear back from them, so I called again this week Monday and they still had not reviewed. They said to call back in two days. That being today, I called them...still no review. However, the ladies in the admissions office are very nice, helpful, and responsive. The office has just been super busy with all the applications. They said they will get back to me later today. :xf:

edit: they had not looked at my application before I initially called them. They actually checked my app and letters (while with me on the phone) and said they had everything they needed. So, it's a good idea to call them if it's been a while since sending everything in.

Just called the office, they will be closed for thanksgiving holiday starting tomorrow and will come back next Monday.
So for those who is waiting for II or acceptance, you probably won't hear anything from them until Monday. Let's relax and have a great Thanksgiving!

Just declined my acceptance offer here. Hope it goes to one of you wonderful people!

Does this school silent reject pre-secondary? I submitted my app here several months ago, but never got a secondary. I'm wondering if this was an oversight and if I should call? Thanks

Does this school silent reject pre-secondary? I submitted my app here several months ago, but never got a secondary. I'm wondering if this was an oversight and if I should call? Thanks
Probably best to just call.. they're very helpful

My app should be reviewed this week! Could anyone give some insight into my chances with a 503 3.55, 3.32sgpa (strong upward trend) and ignoring ECs? I would really love to interview here!

My app should be reviewed this week! Could anyone give some insight into my chances with a 503 3.55, 3.32sgpa (strong upward trend) and ignoring ECs? I would really love to interview here!

It depends on what you wrote in your primary&secondary........ This school is mission driven.

It depends on what you wrote in your primary&secondary........ This school is mission driven.

Well I wasn't screened out at the primary level haha. I addressed my desire to practice and serve in an underserved area and what experiences in my life have contributed to that desire.

It is very likely you would be. What your schools did you apply to? What other schools have you interviewed at? What in your background shows you will be successful here at Carey?

It is very likely you would be. What your schools did you apply to? What other schools have you interviewed at? What in your background shows you will be successful here at Carey?

I'll PM you!