William Carey University (WCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewing here on Monday! Anyone have any last minute advice? This is my first interview, so I am nervous but very excited. Also, looking forward to meeting some of you while I'm on campus :)
Current 4th year here waiting on match results Monday :) :).

Advice for the interview- be yourself, have answers for why WCUCOM and why medicine. Pretty standard and easy going.

If this still applies idk, but when I was in your shoes 4 years ago if you got an interview your odds of being accepted were like 70-80%, WCUCOM does not spam mass secondaries to everyone and even less so on interview invites.

Someone asked about hotel advice previously - IMO learn to use Priceline's bidding system on hotels, this saved me hundreds on hotel stays for 4th year interviews/auditions and its nice for rental cars if your flying in.

I'm open to any other questions as well from anyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Current 4th year here waiting on match results Monday :) :).

Advice for the interview- be yourself, have answers for why WCUCOM and why medicine. Pretty standard and easy going.

If this still applies idk, but when I was in your shoes 4 years ago if you got an interview your odds of being accepted were like 70-80%, WCUCOM does not spam mass secondaries to everyone and even less so on interview invites.

Someone asked about hotel advice previously - IMO learn to use Priceline's bidding system on hotels, this saved me hundreds on hotel stays for 4th year interviews/auditions and its nice for rental cars if your flying in.

I'm open to any other questions as well from anyone.

Thank you so much! I'm very excited to learn more about WCUCOM. Good luck to you, and I hope match day treats you well!!!

I just got accepted to William Carey and I am trying to find another incoming first year to try to room with. Does anybody know anyone else needing a roommate?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted to William Carey and I am trying to find another incoming first year to try to room with. Does anybody know anyone else needing a roommate?

There should be a Crawfish boil some time in the spring. This is a great time to come into town and meet people in your class and meet your Big for the first time. This about the time you can and should be looking for roommates. Dont worry. There are a ton of place to live in hattiesburg and when everybody gets together to meet it is a good time to find this kind of stuff.
There will also be a facebook group set up for you guys. So chill and enjoy what is left of your freedom while you can

Will be withdrawing my interview. Good luck everyone! Hopefully it will go to someone here!

There should be a Crawfish boil some time in the spring. This is a great time to come into town and meet people in your class and meet your Big for the first time. This about the time you can and should be looking for roommates. Dont worry. There are a ton of place to live in hattiesburg and when everybody gets together to meet it is a good time to find this kind of stuff.
There will also be a facebook group set up for you guys. So chill and enjoy what is left of your freedom while you can
Thank you so much! I really appreciate the info.

accepted today! I really was blown away by all William Carey has to offer, especially since it is such a young school. The town is way nicer than I expected...definitely not "po dunk" like it's made out to be online...and I'm from the Miami area, so I'm not used to a small area. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting my classmates soon enough. Until then, time to celebrate the last few months of freedom :)

Reactions: 2 users
Regarding Hattiesburg as a place in which to live.

Background: l am posting here as a founding charter senior faculty member. A person who was born and raised in the US NE megopolis. Went to university in the mid-Atlantic, graduate school in Manhattan, post-doc and then 12 years as faculty in Boston. Then left the "womb" to spend 23 years in SC, before moving here to Hattiesburg.
Why all this preamble? Because I think that my life experience, over many more years than any student poster on this forum, may more accurately define "Podunk".

Hattiesburg, MS is NOT so . It is a great student oriented small southern city. No, not equal to Ann Arbor, MI or Austin, TX; but very amenable to students.

Housing very available, plenty of good to very good eating sites, "gathering" places for evening relaxing plentiful, lack of "town-gown" chappiness, easy commute, easy access to the Gulf Coast beaches, etc. etc.

One could do VERY much worse than choosing Hattiesburg as your venue for medical school. This city rates highly on yearly places for adult retirees. Why? Because it it a great place to live. And, the reasons here do not differ all that much between senior citizens and young medical students. All want quality of life at a reasonable expense.

Last edited:
accepted today! I really was blown away by all William Carey has to offer, especially since it is such a young school. The town is way nicer than I expected...definitely not "po dunk" like it's made out to be online...and I'm from the Miami area, so I'm not used to a small area. Anyway, I'm looking forward to meeting my classmates soon enough. Until then, time to celebrate the last few months of freedom :)

Congrats! I am also from the Miami area and plan on attending here in the fall :)

Hello :). I have an interview here on 02/26 and I was wondering if anyone is staying at a hotel in downtown Hattiesburg? Looking to share a ride or maybe carpool? I am coming from the airport and I do not have a car of my own.

May I ask what exactly you were told or offered? I am just curious as to what people are being told in their interviews.

Has anyone received their acceptance letter in the mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what exactly you were told or offered? I am just curious as to what people are being told in their interviews.

Well from all of the things I read online, both on this site and on random forums, people made Hattiesburg out to be this horrendous, dangerous gross place and it's not! The interview was very transparent, we were told when we would hear by, the experience of the faculty, all about financial aid, and all of that. Nothing was offered, but we were told that if we were invited for an interview chances are we would be accepted. In my case that's what happened. I felt very welcome and comfortable the entire time. They were open about how new the school was and to compensate, they brought in experienced professors. We were also told last year reached a 98% match rate, and it's basically a pass/fail school even though there is a grading system. I heard this from both admissions and students. There are a lot of people who complain on here and maybe they don't realize that there is always going to be things that are not perfect. I came from a very new grad school where everything you could imagine going wrong, went wrong. William Carey is much more organized than that. Anyway, that's my two sense from the outside looking in.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd give it 6 weeks. Let us know how you feel after the first block.

Last edited:
I interview here on 2/29.

I know it's unlikely, but does anyone know generally about how full the class is at this time of year? I'm pretty nervous, especially since my interview is later in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

guys, is the receipt of application fee a hand written note: "received of blah blah..." i got that in mail, just a hand written note, so it means my application is complete?
I interview here on 2/29.

I know it's unlikely, but does anyone know generally about how full the class is at this time of year? I'm pretty nervous, especially since my interview is later in the process.

congratulations, when were you complete/receive the note of receipt for application fee?

Well from all of the things I read online, both on this site and on random forums, people made Hattiesburg out to be this horrendous, dangerous gross place and it's not! The interview was very transparent, we were told when we would hear by, the experience of the faculty, all about financial aid, and all of that. Nothing was offered, but we were told that if we were invited for an interview chances are we would be accepted. In my case that's what happened. I felt very welcome and comfortable the entire time. They were open about how new the school was and to compensate, they brought in experienced professors. We were also told last year reached a 98% match rate, and it's basically a pass/fail school even though there is a grading system. I heard this from both admissions and students. There are a lot of people who complain on here and maybe they don't realize that there is always going to be things that are not perfect. I came from a very new grad school where everything you could imagine going wrong, went wrong. William Carey is much more organized than that. Anyway, that's my two sense from the outside looking in.
Thats what I thought. You seem pretty set on coming to Carey and my opinion is already on here so it doesn't need repeating. You can go back and read it if you want or PM me if you want details or advice getting through.

As far as Hattiesburg goes it isnt dangerous but over time with you being from Miami overtime you will feel trapped. Its a small town and sometimes you will want to get out but cant. At least thats how i feel sometimes.

Finally find a 2nd year student that you can go to for advice/venting. This maybe your big doc it may not but it needs to be someone you can trust and is reliable. 3rd years are too busy and 4th years are not here.

guys, is the receipt of application fee a hand written note: "received of blah blah..." i got that in mail, just a hand written note, so it means my application is complete?

congratulations, when were you complete/receive the note of receipt for application fee?

Complete early Jan and received II the day afterward.

Can anyone shed light on what type of interviews they conduct? I see group and private listed in the feedback section, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I appreciate any information anyone can give!

Can anyone shed light on what type of interviews they conduct? I see group and private listed in the feedback section, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I appreciate any information anyone can give!

Usual is 3-1 I believe. Mine was 5-1 with two guest interviewers.

guys, i am complete with secondary apps and everything completed. but have no II, is there a silent rejection?

If any one who interviewed here flew into Hattiesburg Laurel Regional airport, did you use the driver they refer you to- "Tony" or were you able to find a rental agency cheaper or other service? I appreciate any help or input. I didn't think it would cost so much for a ride from the airport or to the school being that it's so close. Unfortunately I fly in at night so enterprise is closed at that time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If any one who interviewed here flew into Hattiesburg Laurel Regional airport, did you use the driver they refer you to- "Tony" or were you able to find a rental agency cheaper or other service? I appreciate any help or input. I didn't think it would cost so much for a ride from the airport or to the school being that it's so close. Unfortunately I fly in at night so enterprise is closed at that time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I flew in and used airtranz for 40 dollars one way. the price seems to be 40 with most of the airport service companies. From my hotel, it cost 18 dollars roundtrip with grove transit. i know it is pretty expensive if you are flying in without having a car.

I flew in and used airtranz for 40 dollars one way. the price seems to be 40 with most of the airport service companies. From my hotel, it cost 18 dollars roundtrip with grove transit. i know it is pretty expensive if you are flying in without having a car.

I see, it seems the hotel is willing to help me out, however from the hotel to WCU (which is about 5.6 miles away) I was quoted $18-20 one way. I may have to look into the grove transit or just pay it anyway.

Any tips for interview day??? Is it just a panel interview? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I see, it seems the hotel is willing to help me out, however from the hotel to WCU (which is about 5.6 miles away) I was quoted $18-20 one way. I may have to look into the grove transit or just pay it anyway.

Any tips for interview day??? Is it just a panel interview? Any info is greatly appreciated!

grove transit was 18 roundtrip. they have a flat rate anywhere in hattiesburg. Although, it is literally a white shuttle coming to pick you up, like the ones picking up patients from hospitals and nursing homes. dont expect a regular yellow cab.

3 member panel. very relaxed interview. know why do and why wcucom and prepare for one ethical question. know the mission of the school and how you fit into it.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention before is how confusing the campus is (or can be at first). The school is located on the same site as the undergrad and other specialties. I recommend viewing the campus a day ahead and getting a good idea of where you will interview. For example, I came in at night around 11-ish PM and got an idea of where to go. You will have to go in through a guard gate and give your ID. The medical school is on the left after you enter the gated area. Ask for directions. Everyone should be polite and helpful!

I am not sure how many interviews you have had or where, but expect this interview to be much less stressful. This school has a very nice environment for interviews. the day started by meeting other interviewees at a table & the associate dean gave us a powerpoint lecture about the school, the town, and financial aid. The dean came in and gave us a quick hello and pep talk. Then we had a tour of the medical school followed by lunch with students. Take advantage of the lunch with students This is a chance to get unbiased opinions on the school so you can have a good feel for the school. The interviewees got to choose the order in which we went.

For the interview itself, I had three interviewers in the room and myself. (keep in mind sometimes there are as many as 5 interviewers to a interviewee) I really liked my interviewers. They were not as pressing, argumentative, and biased as other schools interviewers had been to me.

You'll definitely be asked questions you should already be really prepared for (because you have gotten this far :) )
-Why Medicine
-Why Osteopathic medicine and what exposure have you had
-Why this school? (easy for me because this is honestly my top choice, and I was ecstatic to get an interview! )
-What field/fields of medicine are you interested in?
-Can you handle the technical standards?
-What volunteer experience / describe it
-Leadership questions (what roles have you had etc)
-Ethical question (this question had a variety of ranges for our interview group but none that I felt I couldn't handle)

They will have personal questions for you possibly based on your application or from an answer you give.

I really liked the town. It depends on where you are from and what you are used to. I have lived in big cities like San Diego, San Francisco, and Chicago. However, I have also lived in a few small cities with populations of less than 30,000. Right now, I live in a town with about 500 people. I really like small town living, and this town is hardly anything like my town of 500 or those with around 30,ooo. This town has two universities Southern Miss and William Carey. It looks like it has a decent amount to offer especially since you won't have time to do anything any way. :) I went to a fun bar/restaurant with my husband after the interview, and it was fun.

Feel free to PM me if I can help you anymore.

3 member panel. very relaxed interview. know why do and why wcucom and prepare for one ethical question. know the mission of the school and how you fit into it.

I agree. Very relaxed. :)

Hello all!
I am new to this thread, and had a really quick question in regards to the secondary!
I was looking through the list of schools I had received a secondary for and was surprised and shocked to see that i had left my WCUCOM unattended to! I am quickly finishing it all up to submit my app (I would kick myself for my stupidity, but senior year chaos is what I am going to blame it on.) (no i really just dropped the ball on this one!).
On the form it says you have to MAIL IN the LORs to their Admissions office. Is this really true? They don't just use those uploaded to AACOMAS? Asking so that I can get them from my professors ASAP, but also thought it was weird as this is the only school I have applied to that has this requirement!

Thank you so much!!

Hello all!
I am new to this thread, and had a really quick question in regards to the secondary!
I was looking through the list of schools I had received a secondary for and was surprised and shocked to see that i had left my WCUCOM unattended to! I am quickly finishing it all up to submit my app (I would kick myself for my stupidity, but senior year chaos is what I am going to blame it on.) (no i really just dropped the ball on this one!).
On the form it says you have to MAIL IN the LORs to their Admissions office. Is this really true? They don't just use those uploaded to AACOMAS? Asking so that I can get them from my professors ASAP, but also thought it was weird as this is the only school I have applied to that has this requirement!

Thank you so much!!

I sent mine through Interfolio or you can do it through AACOMAS. You don't need to mail the LOR....just the secondary

Thank you so much!!

you don't need to mail them. the admissions have access to your letters of evaluation through accomas. i believe they just haven't updated their phrasing on that application yet.

you do, however, need to mail the secondary application. which i am sure you saw :)

good luck to you. i think they are getting somewhat full in regards to how many are accepted and how many interviews are already scheduled. (don't quote me - I dont have exact numbers)

if you don't get in, enjoy a gap year and reapply. :)

Okay that is what I was hoping! Thank you so very much @cyanideandsyd and @GreenScrubss ! (and for the advice!)
Im gonna go ahead and send it off in the mail tomorrow!
What a kind group of people this thread has! :)

you don't need to mail them. the admissions have access to your letters of evaluation through accomas. i believe they just haven't updated their phrasing on that application yet.

you do, however, need to mail the secondary application. which i am sure you saw :)

good luck to you. i think they are getting somewhat full in regards to how many are accepted and how many interviews are already scheduled. (don't quote me - I dont have exact numbers)

if you don't get in, enjoy a gap year and reapply. :)

what, where did you hear that the class is somewhat full? are they reviewing for waitlist now?

For those who have been accepted, did they call you at any particular time of day on the date they said you'd receive a call if you were?

what, where did you hear that the class is somewhat full? are they reviewing for waitlist now?

I don't think waitlist is happening at all yet.

You'll have to call admissions to get a better idea, but I just know that they
have interviews already scheduled into April (and at least 5 people interview every scheduled date). But there is always movement in seats as people make hard choices on which school to attend.

I can't remember what exactly was said that made me think it was "somewhat" full - definitely not full though!

I was definitely not trying to stress you out! :) I just know it is pretty late to be sending off a secondary, but that does not mean you don't have a chance because the deadline for supplemental applications is April 15th, I believe (not sure).

Call the admissions office, and they can give you a muchhh better feel for the class and where they are right now.

You got this; you can do it!

For those who have been accepted, did they call you at any particular time of day on the date they said you'd receive a call if you were?

I received my call 10 days after my interview at around 6pm CT.

Did anyone get a phone call today? My group was told they would call today and I haven't heard anything yet just wondering if I'm the only one

Has there been updates for the class of 2020? Like the facebook page or possible dates for the crawfish boil?

Dr. Weir wasn't lying when he said WCUCOM would leave you alone after the acceptance lol

Has there been updates for the class of 2020? Like the facebook page or possible dates for the crawfish boil?

Dr. Weir wasn't lying when he said WCUCOM would leave you alone after the acceptance lol
All of this is being planned this next SGA meeting so be chill. Its coming after spring break

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone recently got a II. If so how long ago were you complete .

Just received notice that I've been wait listed. Pretty bummed. Anyone know what the general chances are being on the wait list?