William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how long after you got the acceptance call did you get the acceptance letter and all of the paperwork we have to do before class starts?

Members don't see this ad.

how long after you got the acceptance call did you get the acceptance letter and all of the paperwork we have to do before class starts?
Well, I'm still waiting on the incoming class packet, which should arrive in the next week or so. First things first, pay the deposit and become a student in the campuses system. I got accepted early to mid October and had to wait until they could "officially" accept students at the beginning of November for my letter.

okay i guess ill have to wait for my letter before I can pay the deposit

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you can just mail the deposit to the school. I would call the admissions office next week and ask for sure, though.

How many people are currently on the facebook page for 2019? Please someone, anyone help me relieve this anxiety. I'm really not this crazy but this waiting makes me nuts!

Reactions: 1 user
How many people are currently on the facebook page for 2019? Please someone, anyone help me relieve this anxiety. I'm really not this crazy but this waiting makes me nuts!

As of this moment there are 57 people in the group. But that's really only reflective of the people who have both received an acceptance and paid the deposit. Recently accepted people or people without a Facebook obviously won't be on there. It's hard to say how many people have actually joined the class and taken a spot.

Myself being one that was accepted and does not have a Facebook.

Just heard from Donna Day. For planning purposes, the White Coat Ceremony is scheduled for August 15th, and Fall Break is October 16th - 23rd. Comprehensive packets of admission materials will be mailed sometime in May to everyone.

Anyone else here on the waitlist/alternate list? Is William Carey done with interviews? Sorry if i sound like a broken record but any info would be great :)

Just checking in again. There seems to be movement off the wait list at other schools. Does anyone know how full the class is yet? When we might see some activity?

Just checking in again. There seems to be movement off the wait list at other schools. Does anyone know how full the class is yet? When we might see some activity?

As far as I know interviews have been over for about a week. At this point candidates are allowed anywhere from a day, to two weeks to make a decision; meaning there should be movement on waitlists dramatically or not at all (depending on the number already accepted) from this point forward. Without knowing the number of accepted students who've paid a deposit, there's no way to know how much movement to expect. As a reference, I think the committee meets every other Monday (I could be wrong at this point). Idk if a ranking system exist at WCUCOM but I'd say you could get a call at any point after they meet from this point forward.

And again the Facebook group isn't at capacity but that's not a reliable resource. Good Luck!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the info. Hanging in there :)
As far as I know interviews have been over for about a week. At this point candidates are allowed anywhere from a day, to two weeks to make a decision; meaning there should be movement on waitlists dramatically or not at all (depending on the number already accepted) from this point forward. Without knowing the number of accepted students who've paid a deposit, there's no way to know how much movement to expect. As a reference, I think the committee meets every other Monday (I could be wrong at this point). Idk if a ranking system exist at WCUCOM but I'd say you could get a call at any point after they meet from this point forward.

And again the Facebook group isn't at capacity but that's not a reliable resource. Good Luck!!!

I was accepted off the wait list yesterday! Can someone give me the link to the facebook group?

Does anyone know if we are starting a facebook page for c/o 2019 if so can someone please send me the link. I was accepted!!! I am interested in getting to know my classmates and potentially finding a roommate. thanks!!

I received a letter saying I made the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about what that means? is that different than the wait list or is it another term for wait list?

I received a letter saying I made the alternate list. Does anyone have any info about what that means? is that different than the wait list or is it another term for wait list?

The wait list and the alternate list are essentially the same thing...it is officially the 'alternate list' after interviews and initial acceptances are done. The list is ranked, as folks turn down their seats or fail to send in deposits they start at the top and work their way down until the class is full. We (WCU master's students) were given our ranking, I'm not sure if they provide that information to everyone but it couldn't hurt to e-mail Mrs. Donna and ask. They just started pulling from the list this week, so my best advice is still to be patient. In the past they have accepted alternates up until just before class started.

Hey guys and gals still on the waitlist/alt list at this point it would be wise to plan as if you are not going to get in. You could be at a strong disadvantage if you dont in next cycle. Now dont get me wring i am not saying its all over and you cant get in now, i am saying do not cling to a chance shot here and to plan ahead. If your stats are weak ( under 3.4 gpa and / under 28 mcat) you need to take steps to fix this. If you have a lower gpa an SMP ( special masters program) or formal post bacc can help make you competitive. Great programs at Tulane, WCU and USF. If your mcat is weak i recommend looking into a review program for the new mcat. Princeton and Kaplan are tops. Some of you guys and gals seem like great people and i would hate to see you behind the 8 ball and unprepared for it. Either way i hope yall get in, in this cycle or the next.

Just the dose of reality I was trying to avoid. Just kidding. I am formulating plan B I'm just not happy about it. The thought of going through this process again makes me ill.

Just the dose of reality I was trying to avoid. Just kidding. I am formulating plan B I'm just not happy about it. The thought of going through this process again makes me ill.
Hey hey now take a deep breath .. ... Ok. Good. I just recommend planing ahead. I think for most people taking some time off to repair damaged or non existent stats will increase the success rate. For many people taking a year off from applying and doing an SMP gets them not only into med school but into schools a rank above what they may have intended. Truth is it helps. Dont feel bad if you miss. Many that get in do so on there second or third try. It sucks i know. Best of luck

Does anyone know if we are starting a facebook page for c/o 2019 if so can someone please send me the link. I was accepted!!! I am interested in getting to know my classmates and potentially finding a roommate. thanks!!

Facebook page for 2019 is already up. We're in finals until Tuesday and should get the finalized list from Mrs. Donna to send out the rest of the invites soon.

okay thank you for responding i couldnt find it when I looked on fb. good luck on your finals!!!!

I just got the acceptance call this morning! I can't wait to meet everyone!

To those on the wait list, movement has officially begun. I wish you all the best. :)

Reactions: 1 users
OMG!!! I am so happy for you. Been routing for you this whole time. Congratulations!!!!
I just got the acceptance call this morning! I can't wait to meet everyone!

To those on the wait list, movement has officially begun. I wish you all the best. :)

If anyone is interested in learning more about SMPs I am in the USF medical science program if anyone has questions please feel free to PM me. I believe doing an SMP greatly enhanced my chances of going to med school this cycle, it can do the same for you!! best of luck to everyone

Does anyone know when they accept students into the SMP if they are wait listed for the med school?

Hi all, congrats to those who got accepted. I'm applying this year but wondering if I should even bother with 2 online pre-reqs from UNE? The website explicitly states that online pre-reqs are not accepted. I'm gulf south and otherwise competitive, I think.

Hi all, congrats to those who got accepted. I'm applying this year but wondering if I should even bother with 2 online pre-reqs from UNE? The website explicitly states that online pre-reqs are not accepted. I'm gulf south and otherwise competitive, I think.

I was accepted with online sciences, although on my transcript I saw no indication that they were online, so that may be why. Look at your transcript and see what it says, I think most of the " no online classes" requirements is due to the shady exclusively online colleges. If your transcript does say something about the classes being online, call the office and ask, all staff I've encountered have been incredibly helpful.

Mine are from UNE, so I think they will know they are online since I never lived in New England. In fact I was overseas at the same time I "went' to the University of New England, lol

Mine are from UNE, so I think they will know they are online since I never lived in New England. In fact I was overseas at the same time I "went' to the University of New England, lol

Lol, thats a little too obvious, I'd just call the office on Monday.

Congratulations to everyone who have been accepted!

If you are looking for a quiet, convenient place to move, a friend has a house for rent. It's in a quiet neighborhood, 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom, single family home off of Hardy and 34th street. It will probably be about 1500 total (500 each) for rent, cable, internet, and utilities. PM me for details.

See y'all in August!

I just got a call I was accepted this afternoon after being waitlisted a couple months. I just wanted to let those still waiting there is movement, so hang in a little longer and good luck to everyone!

I just got a call I was accepted this afternoon after being waitlisted a couple months. I just wanted to let those still waiting there is movement, so hang in a little longer and good luck to everyone!
Congrats! Come on wait list, keep moving!!! Any idea how many are on the wait list? when did you interview? I want this week to be it so bad. So tired of waiting and want to make plans whether it's yes or no.

Congrats! Come on wait list, keep moving!!! Any idea how many are on the wait list? when did you interview? I want this week to be it so bad. So tired of waiting and want to make plans whether it's yes or no.
No, I have no idea how many ppl are on the list. I interviewed at the beginning of April. I hope that they are able to start moving on the waitlist now. I hope you don't have to wait much longer! Good luck!

No, I have no idea how many ppl are on the list. I interviewed at the beginning of April. I hope that they are able to start moving on the waitlist now. I hope you don't have to wait much longer! Good luck!
Will you attend WCU in the fall?

I am an incoming OMS I. I've been looking at apartments in Hattiesburg. and I'm looking for a roommate if anyone is interested, please PM me.

Does anyone know if we can substitute organic chemistry 2 for biochem?

I will be giving up my spot at William Carey today. Hope everyone gets off the waitlist!

I am sure it was a difficult decision. Good Luck and I hope I get your spot ;)!
I will be giving up my spot at William Carey today. Hope everyone gets off the waitlist!

I got the acceptance call this evening!!!! I am so excited I can barely breathe!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding to its required biology coursework. On its website, it says "Biological sciences – 12 semester hours". I took two introductory biology coursework (8 credits in total) and one biochemistry course (4 credits). Does anyone know if they count biochemistry coursework in biology science?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I have a question regarding to its required biology coursework. On its website, it says "Biological sciences – 12 semester hours". I took two introductory biology coursework (8 credits in total) and one biochemistry course (4 credits). Does anyone know if they count biochemistry coursework in biology science?

Thanks!

I would call them, but if I were to wager on it, I would say no. I called and asked about Biochem replacing Organic 2 and was told no.

I would call them, but if I were to wager on it, I would say no. I called and asked about Biochem replacing Organic 2 and was told no.

Thanks, But if biochemistry is not used to replace orgo chem, then it seems that it can be used for biology then :)