William Carey University (WCUCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can you please update us on how the town hall meeting went??? Can you also inform us on the latest statistics for first time pass rates for the most recent class?

You have a valid question, and it should play a role in your decision on where to attend. Ultimately, my goal as a student is to pass the first two class years, secure a nice rotation and ultimately the residency of my choice (hopefully). SMTTT00 brought up a number of points; some of which are valid concerns (attendance and time management) and other points on which I would disagree (feedback) and a few others about which I do not have enough knowledge to comment (rotation changes).

To your question on feedback, I feel that if a student takes initiative, there are plenty of avenues to discuss issues with admin or faculty. For example, next week the admin is holding an open "town hall" meeting to which all 1st and 2nd year student were invited. There is supposed to be a discussion on residency placements, rotation options, COMLEX, and multiple other topics. I will be attending and plan to ask and learn about our options and the stats of graduating students, as theses are extremely important issues to me. Additionally, every Wednesday morning there is a "walking with the dean", where students can take a walk around campus and speak directly with the dean as he does his morning walk.

I have also spoken with many 4th year students as well as the students of the first graduating class who are now in residency, and relentlessly grilled them on their residencies and rotational experiences. It is my opinion there are available outlets for information and feedback built into WCUCOM.

I am really not able to comment on how effective the system is on instituting necessary changes because I simply have not been here long enough but I can give a simple example: we felt the cameras for the display screens in the anatomy lab did not have a high enough resolution (they were not good). A member of administration stopped in the lab during class, saw there was a valid issue, and the cameras were changed to high quality HD within a week.

With regard to rotation sites, I have heard different stories from different students, but I am more concerned with facts than discussion. I hope to have details on rotations after the town hall meeting with admin.

A typical week in class for me is as follows:
Mon: 8-12 1-5
Tues: 8-12
Wed: 1 hour in morning (time varies weekly) and 1-5pm
Thurs 8-12 1-5
Fri: 8-12
A typical week is roughly 29 hours class (lab included) per week.

I hope this information helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take you guys to receive your secondary? My app was released on 10/09, but I haven't gotten an email saying whether or not I passed the screen...
last year i applied and ended up not submitting anything past my primary, but I applied this year also and both times I emailed them for a status update and they replied with the secondary. not sure if that's how it works for everyone, but maybe you could give that a try?

last year i applied and ended up not submitting anything past my primary, but I applied this year also and both times I emailed them for a status update and they replied with the secondary. not sure if that's how it works for everyone, but maybe you could give that a try?

Thanks! Will do!

How long did it take you guys to receive your secondary? My app was released on 10/09, but I haven't gotten an email saying whether or not I passed the screen...

Last year, I applied and my primary app was released towards the end of September. No reply from WCU about receiving my AACOMAS app. My friend, however, received a secondary and interview invite. She gave me the email of the person she has been corresponding to and told me she was fast with replying to emails/questions. I emailed the same lady regarding my primary app status twice within a month or two... no response... ever. Not even a rejection response after the cycle closed.

Reluctantly, I re-applied to this school again this cycle. App released at the end of July. I was so surprised when I received an email from them last week! Got the secondary. So in my experience, very sketchy...

Last year, I applied and my primary app was released towards the end of September. No reply from WCU about receiving my AACOMAS app. My friend, however, received a secondary and interview invite. She gave me the email of the person she has been corresponding to and told me she was fast with replying to emails/questions. I emailed the same lady regarding my primary app status twice within a month or two... no response... ever. Not even a rejection response after the cycle closed.

Reluctantly, I re-applied to this school again this cycle. App released at the end of July. I was so surprised when I received an email from them last week! Got the secondary. So in my experience, very sketchy...

Yikes. Do you happen to still have the email address of the woman you wrote to by any chance?

WCUCOM is generally very good about getting back to inquiries from applicants. There was a personnel change in the admission office over the last applicant cycle, perhaps you had old contact information.

Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Good luck!

Went back for a second look and sat in on an anatomy lecture and lab with the med students. I saw nothing but great things there. They will be getting my deposit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Went back for a second look and sat in on an anatomy lecture and lab with the med students. I saw nothing but great things there. They will be getting my deposit.
I anticipate the same for myself, honestly. They didn't take us to the anatomy lab or OPP lab while I was there for an interview, so can you comment on those?

I anticipate the same for myself, honestly. They didn't take us to the anatomy lab or OPP lab while I was there for an interview, so can you comment on those?
Sure. So the anatomy lab is huge. 5 students to a cadaver and there are always 3 awesome professors in the room to help out and about 2 2nd year students around and a procected cadaver. All of the students walk around to other cadavers and show each other the differences in some structures or help each other find difficult structures. I also experienced what it is like when students wash out or leave school for other reasons. Everybody takes it hard because the student body is so tightly bound together. "Gunners" go out of there way to help those in danger of failing. It is a great school, not the best but a great school. WCucom grads are going to do very well.

Sure. So the anatomy lab is huge. 5 students to a cadaver and there are always 3 awesome professors in the room to help out and about 2 2nd year students around and a procected cadaver. All of the students walk around to other cadavers and show each other the differences in some structures or help each other find difficult structures. I also experienced what it is like when students wash out or leave school for other reasons. Everybody takes it hard because the student body is so tightly bound together. "Gunners" go out of there way to help those in danger of failing. It is a great school, not the best but a great school. WCucom grads are going to do very well.
Given the small class size, I can totally see a persons failure being hard on the other 107 people. Some schools I've been to were ridiculously competitive for no reason, and I felt bad for even being there. Let's just say that vicariously experiencing douchebag syndrome as a premed student was a pretty strong indicator that I would never want to attend that school. I'm glad to hear that William Carey is at the other end of the spectrum.

Got the official letter today. See you guys there!

This thread has been awfully quiet as of late.

I think it has a lot to do with the small interview classes. I'm not too sure how many people apply to this school, but it seems to be kind of small.

I was extended an interview invite last week, but will be declining. I thought the details provided with the invite (the fact that they'll set you up with a current student, etc.) were incredibly thoughtful! Good luck to anyone who is still waiting.

I was extended an interview invite last week, but will be declining. I thought the details provided with the invite (the fact that they'll set you up with a current student, etc.) were incredibly thoughtful! Good luck to anyone who is still waiting.
It really is a great class. Best of luck else where

Prob around 3000. So it is small. It's Mississippi.
Honestly, that's part of why I like the school so much. For me, the area I live in is just as important as the academic aspect of medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, that's part of why I like the school so much. For me, the area I live in is just as important as the academic aspect of medical school.

Agreed.
When came for my interview they had a little farmers market at the historic district. Got to meet some of the locals and try some amazing blueberry pie. Great place also had the best ribs in the world at lethas bbq. If you guys get there before school starts we have to go.

They don't send anything to you unless it's a secondary or interview invite. So, if they like you, that will be the next email you would receive.
Hi. I got a secondary application yesterday. Does getting a secondary ensures an interview for William Carey Osteopathic as they are very selective in giving secondary. Also, does anyone know how many students had already been offered an admission? How many students are being accepted this year?

Hi. I got a secondary application yesterday. Does getting a secondary ensures an interview for William Carey Osteopathic as they are very selective in giving secondary. Also, does anyone know how many students had already been offered an admission? How many students are being accepted this year?
As far I know, there will be 108 people accepted this year, just like every incoming class. It's not a guarantee that you'll get an interview, but the chances are good because they are so selective. The best I could guess would be that around 20-30 students have been accepted. I could be way off, though.

Last edited:
Just received an II today. I will be a part of the December 1st group.

Is there anyone having their interview on monday November 17, 2014? It will be cool to meet someone that is interviewing on the same day as me:)

Admissions Committee member here. Rest assured, we are still early in the acceptance process and will indeed end up with a entering class totaling 108 students. Good luck to all applicants.

Reactions: 1 users
Admissions Committee member here. Rest assured, we are still early in the acceptance process and will indeed end up with a entering class totaling 108 students. Good luck to all applicants.
I'm happy to be accepted at such an awesome university already!

Sir, Do you know what is the average MCAT score accepted? Also I am not a US citizen or resident. I looked at the AACOMAS guide and found that the William Carey accepts international. I researched more and found that it is a wonderful school. Does William Carey accepts International students? I am a PhD student at University of South Carolina and has been in Columbia, Sc since 5 years. Thank you.

Sir, Do you know what is the average MCAT score accepted? Also I am not a US citizen or resident. I looked at the AACOMAS guide and found that the William Carey accepts international. I researched more and found that it is a wonderful school. Does William Carey accepts International students? I am a PhD student at University of South Carolina and has been in Columbia, Sc since 5 years. Thank you.
When I was interviewing, a member of their admissions office told a prospective student over the phone that a competitive MCAT score is a 25. I'm not sure if that helps or not!

Patiently waiting on an ii here! Two of my colleagues from grad school are currently in their 1st and 2nd years...really like this school.

Yes they accept internationals. I just interviewed there 2 days ago and I am an international student. It is a wonderful school. The students are super friendly and supportive and so is the staff. Hattiesburg is also a pretty nice area. So just keep hope alive and you will make it there :) Good luck!

Have they already filed all of their seats for fall 2015? I ask because that is what a friend of mine said. I am an applicant from MS and am just wondering if they have a certain section of seats designated to different regions of the country/international.

Have they already filed all of their seats for fall 2015? I ask because that is what a friend of mine said. I am an applicant from MS and am just wondering if they have a certain section of seats designated to different regions of the country/international.
I'm not sure they have a designated grouping for international or out of state, considering William Carey is a private university, but it is likely that their fall interview slots are filled. I have zero idea if that's true or not, but I would guess they're filled. That does not mean, however, that they wouldn't call and schedule interviews for January starting now. Just my two cents!

We have not yet filled the class upcoming. We do not have form quotas for regional applicants. We DO prefer applicants from our "core" area - MS, LA, AR; but have many accepted students from outside this geographical region.

Hope this helps (from a faculty member of the Admissions Committee).

I'm not sure they have a designated grouping for international or out of state, considering William Carey is a private university, but it is likely that their fall interview slots are filled. I have zero idea if that's true or not, but I would guess they're filled. That does not mean, however, that they wouldn't call and schedule interviews for January starting now. Just my two cents!

Interviews wil continue into the spring of 2015. (Admissions Committee member posting here).

Interviews wil continue into the spring of 2015. (Admissions Committee member posting here).
That's what I thought. All I was saying is that the school might have their interview slots for the fall filled and could be calling for interviews starting in January. Of course I don't know this for a fact, but I was just stating my opinion given how close to the holidays we are.

How long did it take for you guys to hear back after an interview? I heard they have a very quick turnaround time, but it's been over 2 weeks and I still haven't heard anything.

How long did it take for you guys to hear back after an interview? I heard they have a very quick turnaround time, but it's been over 2 weeks and I still haven't heard anything.
I heard back the next week via phone call and got my letter a few weeks after that.

It really depends. For some we heard back within 2 weeks for others in can take up to a month or longer if you have to wait for snail mail.