2009-2010 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Prompts

If there were periods longer then 3 months, from the time you graduated high school to now, when you were not employed full time or in college full time, briefly explain your activities.

[Only if this applies to you] If you are not from the New York City metropolitan area (Five Boroughs), describe what personal experiences prepare you to live and study in New York City, and what will be your personal support system?

[Only if this applies to you] If you have a specific reason (e.g., significant other, job transfer, family obligations) why you wish to attend medical school in New York City, please explain.

[Optional] If you have a specific reason why you have chosen to apply to SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, please explain

LOR REQUIREMENTS

If you are currently enrolled in college, a letter of recommendation from the premedical advisor or committee at your undergraduate college is required. If your university/college does not have a premedical committee or advisor, two letters from college professors in two different departments are required. One of the letters must be from a professor in a science department, and the other should be from a professor in your major field of study. Both letters must be from faculty members who have had you in their classes and who are personally acquainted with you.

If you are enrolled in a graduate program, your faculty advisor/major professor must submit a letter of recommendation. This should be in addition to the letters specified above.

If you have graduated from college, and are currently employed or a non-traditional applicant, you may submit two individual letters of recommendation, if you are unable to submit a premedical advisor or a committee letter. One letter should be from a science faculty member who has taught you in one of the science courses required for admission, and the second letter may be from your supervisor at your place of employment.

If you have not taken any college course work recently (within the last six years) but are currently employed, then you should submit two individual letters of recommendation. One should be from your supervisor at your place of employment and the second may be from a physician or health professional with whom you have worked.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
let's get this party started! here is some more info... doesn't look like the secondary is up an running quite yet.

I think im applying to like every school you are dw...:). Good luck! Ive never been to NY, i wonder how it would be if i had to move there

Members don't see this ad :)
I think im applying to like every school you are dw...:). Good luck! Ive never been to NY, i wonder how it would be if i had to move there

haha, yeah, we have 10 in common. see you on the trail!

and NYC is beyond awesome. (although downstate is a bit different; i live sorta near there now. PM me if you're interested in hearing about brooklyn.)

Members don't see this ad :)
cool, don't want to copy in all the questions, i'll let shemarty do it.
i pmed kissme about it, im sure she will get it up tonight...i wonder if any of the other sunys are up... O well time to get to work:)

Who wants to PM me the LOR reqs??
i forgot sorry......so picky god ;)!! Oh and in case anyone cares its the same as last years. And i sent you another pm kissme with the reqs. In case someone wants to know the lor reqs before it gets posted "officially" its here.

http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/programs/procedures/letters_of_rec.html

The question about what experiences do you have that will help u live in ny scares me :(...I dont know a thing about ny or even the 5 borroughs...and any idea what personal support system means? Do they mean financial or what? I have no family or anyone there....i dont want to put my support system will be....me.....lol

Last edited:
So they don't want more than the 2 letters they specified? That is not cool. :bang:

Do you guys think they will just igore any additional letters I send other than those 2? My letter from my majors professor is weak.:(

"One of the letters must be from a professor in a science department, and the other should be from a professor in your major field of study."

Do you guys think I can substitute another letter?

So they don't want more than the 2 letters they specified? That is not cool. :bang:

Do you guys think they will just igore any additional letters I send other than those 2? My letter from my majors professor is weak.:(
I was told that they can basically download the individual letters somehow from amcas (or something likethat) so im sure they can just pick w/e letters you specify. As for if you can use other letters call and ask, i know i am. One of my bio profs wrote a good letter, but my other sci letter would be my physics teacher, whihc i know is only an average letter. Im going to call and see if they will take my research letter for my sci letter.

Also i doubt anyone but me (and blue) has messed with the secondary but when someone does, are you having issues with writing in the boxs for the prompts? Mine starts at the bottom (or middle) and as I write it just makes one long continuous sentence. Its really weird it wont just end at the end of the box, so when i print it all i see is one cut off sentence (if that makes sense).

I was told that they can basically download the individual letters somehow from amcas (or something likethat) so im sure they can just pick w/e letters you specify. As for if you can use other letters call and ask, i know i am. One of my bio profs wrote a good letter, but my other sci letter would be my physics teacher, whihc i know is only an average letter. Im going to call and see if they will take my research letter for my sci letter.

Also i doubt anyone but me (and blue) has messed with the secondary but when someone does, are you having issues with writing in the boxs for the prompts? Mine starts at the bottom (or middle) and as I write it just makes one long continuous sentence. Its really weird it wont just end at the end of the box, so when i print it all i see is one cut off sentence (if that makes sense).

Wait, so should I assign all my letters to schools? I thought, for example in Downstate's case, I should assign only two letters.

Wait, so should I assign all my letters to schools? I thought, for example in Downstate's case, I should assign only two letters.
When I called amcas they said i could assign all letters and it wont matter. In the end its not going to matter. Some schools send an entire packet of letters and you can not pick and choose which letters go to what school. For exmaple, if you use UCIs letter service, they send every letter to amcas as one packet and you can not choose which individual letters go to what school, you can only choose the one packet of letters. So if you had 5 letter, all 5 letters are going to suny downstate no matter what you say, other schools do this too. Obviously people who do that are not auto rejected so id say it doesnt matter.

Last edited:
Thanks. So schools will download and read whatever letters they want to read?

Im fairly sure thats the case, though like i said im not 100% certain. Thats just the way i understand it.

i'm confused..does this mean we don't need an invite to submit the secondary? will they still notify us?:confused:

is suny downstate research intensive? Would I have a shot there without any research under my belt?

On the site it seems like they are research intensive. Something about being #7 in rankings or something. They really seem to push it based on what i read...hopefully a student can chime in.

wow, diametrically opposed opinions here.... the more input the better. Keep it coming. As an aside, I spoke with the admissions office today and I never asked about it specifically (I asked them what my chances would be) and they never said anything SPECIFICALLY about lacking research... but...

wow, diametrically opposed opinions here.... the more input the better. Keep it coming. As an aside, I spoke with the admissions office today and I never asked about it specifically (I asked them what my chances would be) and they never said anything SPECIFICALLY about lacking research... but...
Go look at their site and you will see what they think about research. They seem very intensive and serious about it. But they also are very interested in working with diverse populations and training clinicians. That being said if you dont have research i would NOT worry about it in anyway. This school is not like say stanford where you better have research or else. That much I do know for a fact. According to the MSAR 85% of the students had research.

Heres their research page...
http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/research/index.html

In both here and in many other places on the site they state they "encourage medical students to participate in research which can be started the 1st year." I just got the overall feeling they do like research and are trying to focus on it but its not their main focus. Also a big indicator that they are probably not too overly research intensive is the fact that a research thesis is optional and not part of the requirement to graduate. Schools like case western and others who are VERY reserach intensive require a thesis for graduation. If a school does not its probably a safe bet that its not their main focus.

Once agian though input from a current student is far better then anything i am saying right now. This is just based on what i get from reading their site/msar.

did anyone send this thing in yet?

just got the supplemental guys! weird... everything on their site is still in 2009 mode even though the email specifically says 2010 and leads me to the site..

ok got the email but still the PDF file is all messed up....you can only fit one sentance in the space provided as it just keeps making one long sentance that goes off the page...am i the only having this issue/

ok got the email but still the PDF file is all messed up....you can only fit one sentance in the space provided as it just keeps making one long sentance that goes off the page...am i the only having this issue/

I was having the same issue as well...I just said "see attached sheet."

I'm having the same issue. I think I'm going to just write "refer to attachment" and write everything on another page. Also the e-mail that they sent out with the link to their supplemental application leads me to a .pdf file of their secondary that doesn't work. It says "page cannot be found." I got the supplemental from this thread instead. Anyone else having this issue? They're the exact same supplemental, but doesn't work now?

I'm having the same issue. I think I'm going to just write "refer to attachment" and write everything on another page. Also the e-mail that they sent out with the link to their supplemental application leads me to a .pdf file of their secondary that doesn't work. It says "page cannot be found." I got the supplemental from this thread instead. Anyone else having this issue? They're the exact same supplemental, but doesn't work now?

I didnt have that problem but its the same supplemental regardless.

Can't we print this out and fill out by hand?

Can't we print this out and fill out by hand?
I dont know, but i always felt that was a bit unprofessional and something we shouldnt do? Im just going with the "see attached sheet" thing. Im sure thats better then hand written, especially since my writing is trash,

I dont know, but i always felt that was a bit unprofessional and something we shouldnt do? Im just going with the "see attached sheet" thing. Im sure thats better then hand written, especially since my writing is trash,

Yea, I never hand write anything anymore just because typed makes everything easier to read for the readers.

do you guys know if questions 9-12 are meant to be essay questions? i wouldnt know how much i could write for 11 about a significant other... 12 seems more like an essay-type. what do you guys think?

do you guys know if questions 9-12 are meant to be essay questions? i wouldnt know how much i could write for 11 about a significant other... 12 seems more like an essay-type. what do you guys think?
Write what you feel is best, these are not meant to be 5 page essays. Be concise, clear, and say what you feel is necesary and w/e length it happens to be is what it happens to be.

Anyone else having formatting issues when you print off the secondary? It seems to cut off some of the stuff of the right hand side of the page. Does anyone know what I can do to correct this?

I did the "see attached" thing, and I just sent this out whooo!

Status
Not open for further replies.