2009-2010 SUNY Downstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody else have their science labs as a separate course?

The application (check out the PDF) only has two slots to list, say, two semesters of Organic Chemistry. In my school, orgo lab was a separate course.

Members don't see this ad.

The application (check out the PDF) only has two slots to list, say, two semesters of Organic Chemistry. In my school, orgo lab was a separate course.

Ya mine's like that too, I just attached an additional sheet listing them.

just attach another sheet like jackson said :). I had a ton of stuff lsited extra since im on a quarter system .

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya mine's like that too, I just attached an additional sheet listing them.

Just for clarification, did you write in "Please see attached sheet" on the actual PDF? How exactly did you mention it? Thanks.

Just for clarification, did you write in "Please see attached sheet" on the actual PDF? How exactly did you mention it? Thanks.

Yes that's exactly what I said

Yes that's exactly what I said

I was also considering creating my own table (with extra rows for lab courses), and then replacing their table with mine (I have Acrobat Pro.)

Would this be fine? I don't want to attach an additional sheet just for 2 lab courses.

They wouldn't consider this vandalism, would they?

I was also considering creating my own table (with extra rows for lab courses), and then replacing their table with mine (I have Acrobat Pro.)

Would this be fine? I don't want to attach an additional sheet just for 2 lab courses.

They wouldn't consider this vandalism, would they?

Hmm I have no idea. I'm not computer savvy enough to do that so what I did was just create a whole other table modeled after theirs and attach it. Maybe call them and see what they say?

Interesting. The requirement for proof of citizenship disappeared.

Interesting. The requirement for proof of citizenship disappeared.

Oh wow that's really wierd, too bad I sent mine already. Oh well, they can just throw it out if they don't want it.

So I submitted my secondary but I logged on to see Admissions CheckList and it says "Pre-Health Letter not Received". I am wondering whether if anyone is also experiencing the same problem? if so, do I need to request the Pre-health committee to manually send them the letter or Downstate will download/receive it off AMCAS?

So I submitted my secondary but I logged on to see Admissions CheckList and it says "Pre-Health Letter not Received". I am wondering whether if anyone is also experiencing the same problem? if so, do I need to request the Pre-health committee to manually send them the letter or Downstate will download/receive it off AMCAS?

you assign letters and they download.

I have the same question. Anyone?
I took it to mean emotional and financial...kinda like do you have family in the area? I didnt spend a lot of time on that part of the prompt, didnt apply to me since i dont live in NYC. I just said basically my support system will be my family whos moving with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it to mean emotional and financial...kinda like do you have family in the area? I didnt spend a lot of time on that part of the prompt, didnt apply to me since i dont live in NYC. I just said basically my support system will be my family whos moving with me.

You're answering all my questions today. One even with some tough love :laugh:

If you're using AP credit to fill the table in the secondary, don't! (Okay, it's not a big deal if you did, but do the following if you haven't sent it out yet)

Attach a separate table...fill it out normally...put in 2 upper-level bio/chem classes (if you have them). However, place a "*" above both names.

Then, below the table, write something like "* - Listing _____ & _____ because I AP'ed out of 2 semesters of Chemistry."

/ I just called them, asking "I know you accept AP credit for pre-med requirements, but is it preferable to list upper-level bio courses?"

anybody's LORs still say they aren't received? Mine hasn't been received, but I submitted so long ago.

anybody's LORs still say they aren't received? Mine hasn't been received, but I submitted so long ago.

If you submitted through AMCAS send an email to inform them of that. I submitted through AMCAS and even though they've downloaded my letters into my file, they didn't mark me.

So everything is green check marks next to my stuff on their site. Guess that makes me complete. My top SUNY choice.:thumbup:

So everything is green check marks next to my stuff on their site. Guess that makes me complete. My top SUNY choice.:thumbup:
Me too. I had to prod them a bit with a friendly e-mail reminder, but I guess I'm complete even without my grad school letter.

11) .[Optional] If you have a specific reason (e.g. significant other, job transfer, family obligations, etc. ) why you have chosen to apply to SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, please explain...

.Is there answer supposed to be a personal/family reason like their examples, or can it be something general about NY, like say having clinical exposure of an ethnically/racially/culturally diverse population?
.. .

Can someone post the link where I can check my application status? Thanks!

11) .[Optional] If you have a specific reason (e.g. significant other, job transfer, family obligations, etc. ) why you have chosen to apply to SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, please explain...

.Is there answer supposed to be a personal/family reason like their examples, or can it be something general about NY, like say having clinical exposure of an ethnically/racially/culturally diverse population?

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a specific family reason. They give a question for why nyc and why downstate, so I dont think they want to hear something general again.

I wouldnt write anything unless its personal. Youre wife lives there, her family lives there, you used to live there for 10 years but moved, your wifes job is there blah blah...they mean stuff like that. They have other essays where you can explain general things like diverse areas.

I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a specific family reason. They give a question for why nyc and why downstate, so I dont think they want to hear something general again.

I wouldnt write anything unless its personal. Youre wife lives there, her family lives there, you used to live there for 10 years but moved, your wifes job is there blah blah...they mean stuff like that. They have other essays where you can explain general things like diverse areas.

I completely messed up the question! The question asked "Why NYC?"...not "Why Downstate?" Also, to the best of my knowledge, this is the only "Why NYC?" question in the entire secondary.

sorry folks

Has anyone gotten a complete email from them? They finally chased my check after nearly 3 weeks >.>;

Has anyone gotten a complete email from them? They finally chased my check after nearly 3 weeks >.>;

No complete emails. Just green check marks next to everything.

Were you guys sent a username and password to check your application status? I was never sent one but did get the email about the secondary ~2 weeks ago.... I just want to know if it was received...

Is this by any chance the website?
http://spelunker.downstate.edu/admissions/admissions-checklist/source/portal_logon.asp

and if so, is it as simple as just entering in my email and amcas id?

Yup, thats the website-if you just enter your amcas id number into both the username and password slots it should work.

they still havnt got my LORs! Wish they would hurry up they got my supplemental like 2 weeks ago.

I think it takes a little more time. I was in a similar situation.

probably, though i now have a space for proof of citizenship........still dont understand that

ya me either, did you send it to them? I sent mine just in case and now I have a green checkmark by it so I guess they must have wanted it.

ya me either, did you send it to them? I sent mine just in case and now I have a green checkmark by it so I guess they must have wanted it.
yah i sent it to them it has a checkmark now. Doesnt matter but :shrug:. Maybe its a sign that me and u are going to be accepted here.....:p. We are just ahead of the game!

I got a letter in the mail this weekend stating that I was complete and that they have begun review applications.

Were you guys sent a username and password to check your application status? I was never sent one but did get the email about the secondary ~2 weeks ago.... I just want to know if it was received...

Is this by any chance the website?
http://spelunker.downstate.edu/admissions/admissions-checklist/source/portal_logon.asp

and if so, is it as simple as just entering in my email and amcas id?
did anyone notice that they have "spelunker" in their website address?

that is sooo awesome:laugh: It makes me wanna go here even more:D

yah i sent it to them it has a checkmark now. Doesnt matter but :shrug:. Maybe its a sign that me and u are going to be accepted here.....:p. We are just ahead of the game!

that must be it! they know we're going to be accepted so they figure they might as well get the whole citizenship thing out of the way now:D

that must be it! they know we're going to be accepted so they figure they might as well get the whole citizenship thing out of the way now:D

acceptance without interview. You wish!:laugh:

I went to the College of Medicine Information Session today and I really, really enjoyed it. It was soo informative and not as sugar-coated and watered down as some of the schools I have visited already. We took tours of the anatomy lab, all types of dorm rooms, student center and facilities, library and lecture halls/rooms. The students and faculty were very receptive to questions and answered everything truthfully. I sent in my secondary a little while ago but this visit has made me appreciate the school much much more and I am happy to be applying there!

hmm i still havent received an email from them, not even an acknowledgement that they received my AMCAS which was verified exactly one month ago. think i should call them or send in the secondary anyway or both?

I went to the College of Medicine Information Session today and I really, really enjoyed it. It was soo informative and not as sugar-coated and watered down as some of the schools I have visited already. We took tours of the anatomy lab, all types of dorm rooms, student center and facilities, library and lecture halls/rooms. The students and faculty were very receptive to questions and answered everything truthfully. I sent in my secondary a little while ago but this visit has made me appreciate the school much much more and I am happy to be applying there!
That's good to hear. If you or anyone else who attended the session has any suggestions, please discuss it here or pm me. I'd be happy to pass it on.

Go look at their site and you will see what they think about research. They seem very intensive and serious about it. But they also are very interested in working with diverse populations and training clinicians. That being said if you dont have research i would NOT worry about it in anyway. This school is not like say stanford where you better have research or else. That much I do know for a fact. According to the MSAR 85% of the students had research.

Heres their research page...
http://sls.downstate.edu/admissions/medicine/research/index.html

In both here and in many other places on the site they state they "encourage medical students to participate in research which can be started the 1st year." I just got the overall feeling they do like research and are trying to focus on it but its not their main focus. Also a big indicator that they are probably not too overly research intensive is the fact that a research thesis is optional and not part of the requirement to graduate. Schools like case western and others who are VERY reserach intensive require a thesis for graduation. If a school does not its probably a safe bet that its not their main focus.

Once agian though input from a current student is far better then anything i am saying right now. This is just based on what i get from reading their site/msar.
As a current student, I completely agree with the statement. If research is your thing, you won't feel left out. Or if it's not, don't sweat it.

I also got their letter via snail mail dated 7/16 that I was completed. I really hope they send interview invites through email and not through snail mail. It took nearly five days for the letter to reach me even though I'm right outside the metro area.

ditto...received a "complete" letter in the mail!

hmm i still havent received an email from them, not even an acknowledgement that they received my AMCAS which was verified exactly one month ago. think i should call them or send in the secondary anyway or both?

I was verified 7/1 and still have not even gotten acknowledged.

Status
Not open for further replies.