2011-2012 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted FYI (hopefully helpful) by a proud dad...our prodigy progeny was accepted immediately after interviewing in the first group in Oct....adcom takes about a month, then notifies immediately by e-mail...33Q (score arrived late in cycle...took MCAT in Sept.), 3.81 overall @ GT, best, most competitive technical school in the South (brutal grading > 3.55 graduates Summa Cum Laude), superior EC's and leadership, decent trailing and hospital volunteering, but almost no research (really too busy); traditional first-time applicant. Students were very nice--seemed collegial versus "gunner" atmosphere...good idea to stay with student host. Class size now increased to 230, with 40 of those in Athens. Almost all from Ga. except handful of Ph.D/MD. Low stress interview with one M.D. Good luck kids!
;)

Sorry dad but your son is an adult and even if these stats are valid...which they aren't as a MCAT in Sept did not interview in Oct, it is time you let him speak for himself. There is nothing in your post anyone applying to MCG doesnt know and the stats are BS.

Members don't see this ad.

More than a little supercilious there, father of 8! Methinks thou doth protest about nothing! If it does nothing for you, simply pass it by. Actually my daughter was invited to MCG for the October interview based on a prior, lower MCAT taken just 1 month earlier...her new score arrived the day before she interviewed. And what in hell was erroneous about the stats I listed?

Several of the things I noted are frequently asked on this forum...and those waiting to hear might appreciate knowing the timing of the process and how it was conveyed...but as a purported father of 8, perhaps you know everything, if not perhaps apropos self discipline...or decent manners.

More than a little supercilious there, father of 8! Methinks thou doth protest about nothing! If it does nothing for you, simply pass it by. Actually my daughter was invited to MCG for the October interview based on a prior, lower MCAT taken just 1 month earlier...her new score arrived the day before she interviewed. And what in hell was erroneous about the stats I listed?

Several of the things I noted are frequently asked on this forum...and those waiting to hear might appreciate knowing the timing of the process and how it was conveyed...but as a purported father of 8, perhaps you know everything, if not perhaps apropos self discipline...or decent manners.

To clarify, regardless if the stats or MCAT are valid: YOU don't belong here. This is a site for pre-meds, medical students and physicians..not parents of premeds that want to brag about their 'prodigy".

As for the stats, yes it is possible that they are valid...but if you had been here a while you would realize that very few people with those kind of stats would publicly brag, it is in poor taste.

Members don't see this ad :)
To clarify, regardless if the stats or MCAT are valid: YOU don't belong here. This is a site for pre-meds, medical students and physicians..not parents of premeds that want to brag about their 'prodigy".

As for the stats, yes it is possible that they are valid...but if you had been here a while you would realize that very few people with those kind of stats would publicly brag, it is in poor taste.

I would say that what is in poor taste is your presuming to play forum monitor as if empowered to do so. It is an academic point whether I posted info in my daughter's stead or she posted it directly. It is too bad if her having stellar GPA stats chagrins you. I have been reviewing comments for several months here at a number of schools, so I am well familiar with the protocol. There was nothing atypical in my initial post above. :cool:

:hijacked:

come now people, easy on the flame. congrats on your daughter lodestar, but i'm going to go ahead and let you know that nobody likes you; info is fine, but hijacking our thread to talk about your gene spawn is slightly obnoxious

this thread needs to go back to what it was about before, stressing out and waiting for the next admissions meeting (now January :()

Just called the Admissions Office. Apparently, "due to some circumstances," the committee did not vote last week, meaning there was no December vote. They will vote in January, but the Office would not say when.

This sucks gigantically, as I have some decisions to make no later than January 9, and they will almost certainly not vote before then.

DO acceptance?

No, it has to do with family stuff.

Posted FYI (hopefully helpful) by a proud dad...our prodigy progeny was accepted immediately after interviewing in the first group in Oct....adcom takes about a month, then notifies immediately by e-mail...33Q (...)
;)

:thumbdown:

This is misleading. Was he accepted immediately, or a month later?

The answer is "a month later." The reason is that, as stated, the committee votes once per month. The committee does not take "about a month" but rather "at least a month." If (as in my case) you interviewed in the first group, but the committee just didn't get to your file to vote in time at the end of November, your file would be pushed back a month, to December.

Only, they didn't vote in December, so now that's been pushed to January. So, if you interviewed very recently, it may be March before you hear at this rate...unless they speed up a little, of course. :)

Kids? Ouch. There's a passive-agressive low blow for ya.

No kidding, giving that my oldest will be old enough to matriculate to medical school before I finish residency :(

Fair enough, then I surely qualify by your reckoning as a practicing physician since 1977 (Emory C'73, M'77). It was not I who introduced unsolicited, presumptuous, pointless animus above. Honestly, I found that surprising. I get that you all feel application angst time pressures...I "have been there and done that," but generally (except for AA) the system filters through and selects those who belong within reason, although there is some fortuity to be sure.

A little aside...there can be a fairly material difference between average accepted stats and average matriculant/class profile stats, and many schools will matriculate 50 or more from their WL's. When the musical chairs routine sorts out, the data averages drop. Hang in there, and keep your chins up...it is mostly worth the sweat.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas, and may 2012 bring you the fulfillment you seek, as apropos. ;)

Anyone know if there's a Facebook group yet for the Class of 2016? If so, can you paste the link on the thread for me? Thanks!

Interviewed on 12/2... Has anyone heard anything from that interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering (not applying to medical school for a few years), does MCG interview more than one person at once?

there's a group of people (varies in number) and only one interviewed at a time

Hey guys,

I was wondering if there is any UGA applicant here willing to answer some questions from a UGA student (2nd year). If so, please PM me.

Sorry to hijack the thread.
Good luck to all of you

Fair enough, then I surely qualify by your reckoning as a practicing physician since 1977 (Emory C'73, M'77). It was not I who introduced unsolicited, presumptuous, pointless animus above. Honestly, I found that surprising. I get that you all feel application angst time pressures...I "have been there and done that," but generally (except for AA) the system filters through and selects those who belong within reason, although there is some fortuity to be sure.

A little aside...there can be a fairly material difference between average accepted stats and average matriculant/class profile stats, and many schools will matriculate 50 or more from their WL's. When the musical chairs routine sorts out, the data averages drop. Hang in there, and keep your chins up...it is mostly worth the sweat.

Have a safe and Merry Christmas, and may 2012 bring you the fulfillment you seek, as apropos. ;)

You sound like a tool on this thread. If you're an Emory SOM graduate you have better things to do than post on SDN and argue with pre-med students about the worth/merit of your kids admission to a different school than your alma mater. If you don't have better time, then you should recognize that a 3.8/33 is a solid applicant, but it's not the top of any medical school's matriculating class. In all honesty, it won't even be good enough for scholarships here at MCG.

Back the bull**** down a little bit and you'll be taken more seriously. If you do have a child that was accepted then post their stats (if they want you to do so) and move on with your life.

... you should recognize that a 3.8/33 is a solid applicant, but it's not the top of any medical school's matriculating class. In all honesty, it won't even be good enough for scholarships here at MCG.

Back the bull**** down a little bit and you'll be taken more seriously. If you do have a child that was accepted then post their stats (if they want you to do so) and move on with your life.

Actually, I stated only facts above. Since you brought up competitive stats @ MCG, a 3.81 @ GT (where > 3.55 graduates Summa Cum Laude...Tech is not KSU or GSU or VSU) and a 33 are VERY solid @ MCG...and the larger class size and state resident requirement will inexorably drop the mean averages:

FACT Sheet for the MCG 2011 Entering Class
Class Academic Qualifications

Overall grade point average 3.7
Science grade point average 3.65
Mean MCAT score 30.3

http://www.georgiahealth.edu/medicine/admit/Fact sheet 2011.pdf

Actually, I stated only facts above. Since you brought up competitive stats @ MCG, a 3.81 @ GT (where > 3.55 graduates Summa Cum Laude...Tech is not KSU or GSU or VSU) and a 33 are VERY solid @ MCG...and the larger class size and state resident requirement will inexorably drop the mean averages:

FACT Sheet for the MCG 2011 Entering Class
Class Academic Qualifications

Overall grade point average 3.7
Science grade point average 3.65
Mean MCAT score 30.3

http://www.georgiahealth.edu/medicine/admit/Fact sheet 2011.pdf

We are all well aware of the fact that Ga Tech has professors who purposely create exams where an average test score is in the 20's. I'm also more aware than you may think of our admission standards and how they rank among the rest of the country. While you may think that graduating from Ga. Tech may make you an all-star, I must tell you that they are no better prepared (more often than not they are actually under prepared) for medical school than any other university in the state. I have 3 friends in my current class who were on scholarship at GT (one was a presidential scholar) and they all had ~3.0's after the first semester of medical school and that they will not be AOA. I will also tell you again that a 3.8/33 is a good applicant from any school (regardless of how you feel about GSU, Valdosta, etc), and that the applicant in question would most likely get into several schools in the SE, unless the applicant shares the same egotistical and boastful attitude that you seem to stink of in your threads.

BTW, about 115 of the matriculating students are those that attended UGA. Last year's class had about 35 Ga. Tech students. We have very few students from GSU, Ga. Southern, Valdosta, and KSU. Number 3 for my year was Emory and 4th as Duke.

Continuing to respond to this guy's post is just allowing him to successfully troll you and hijack the thread. This forum has a known issue with people trolling other people with real and/or made up stats. Either way, it's pointless to hear what this guy has to discuss as we know the stats of the accepted class from the last year already. On that note, has anybody talked to the admissions office recently to find out when the next voting day will be? Does anyone know if they are going to do it at their next meeting or if they are going to wait until the end of the month for their next 'scheduled' voting day?

On that note, has anybody talked to the admissions office recently to find out when the next voting day will be? Does anyone know if they are going to do it at their next meeting or if they are going to wait until the end of the month for their next 'scheduled' voting day?

^This, but for different reasons. Just got an II this evening for slots in early February!

^This, but for different reasons. Just got an II this evening for slots in early February!

Congrats. Good luck hearing back from them before the end of time from what it feels like. Haha. If you haven't read some of the previous forum posts, the interviews are 1 on 1 open resume interviews (or at least mine was). My interviewer asked me questions such as: Why is MCG a good fit for you? What does MCG stand to benefit from accepting you? What is one of the biggest problems in medicine today in your opinion? (I said something about discrepancies between medication billing codes and medications that a doctor prescribes a patient, but I wish I had said something about drug shortages >.> ) And not to mention questions on just about any aspect of your AMCAS. Have a good interview.

Last edited:
I was wondering how does MCOG decide which campus you will attend? Do you get to pick a preference (Athens or Augusta)?

And for those of you who chose EDP was it a good idea? Would you recommend it to other students?

I was wondering how does MCOG decide which campus you will attend? Do you get to pick a preference (Athens or Augusta)?

And for those of you who chose EDP was it a good idea? Would you recommend it to other students?

After you attend the interview, you are sent an email that directs you to your secondary app that will now ask which campus you prefer. You can also include a small explanation for your choice. The adcom takes into account your preference, but they said they are trying to make sure that there is diversity in each campus (eg, so all the athens people don't end up being uga grads, etc). They want a good mix of demographics at each campus.

I didn't do EDP, but I would suggest it if you're absolutely happy with attending MCG and it's your number one choice. If your stats are around the average, I'd do it. Several of my classmates did it, and I was so envious of them when they heard positive news back so early in the game. I decided against EDP because I was afraid my application wasn't good enough to get in EDP, and I didn't want to lower my chances at other schools because if I didn't get in EDP, I'd be applying late to those schools.

After you attend the interview, you are sent an email that directs you to your secondary app that will now ask which campus you prefer. You can also include a small explanation for your choice. The adcom takes into account your preference, but they said they are trying to make sure that there is diversity in each campus (eg, so all the athens people don't end up being uga grads, etc). They want a good mix of demographics at each campus.

I didn't do EDP, but I would suggest it if you're absolutely happy with attending MCG and it's your number one choice. If your stats are around the average, I'd do it. Several of my classmates did it, and I was so envious of them when they heard positive news back so early in the game. I decided against EDP because I was afraid my application wasn't good enough to get in EDP, and I didn't want to lower my chances at other schools because if I didn't get in EDP, I'd be applying late to those schools.

MCG will be my first pick so tell me what type of stats should I have if I apply to EDP. Is a 3.5/33 good enough? I am a GA resident and I only dream of going to this school:love:

MCG will be my first pick so tell me what type of stats should I have if I apply to EDP. Is a 3.5/33 good enough? I am a GA resident and I only dream of going to this school:love:

All I can say is that the median GPA is 3.78 (sGPA3.73) with the 10th percentile being 3.41/3.36. The average mcat is 30P. I would say that because you have a strong MCAT score, and you're very interested in the school, you might as well try EDP. It's your choice. If the rest of your application is good, you probably have a shot with at least an interview. But then again...what do I know...haha.

Does anyone know if they are having a voting night tonight?

Does anyone know if they are having a voting night tonight?

They are meeting; but I called and they wouldn't tell me if they would be voting or making any effort to give updates to everyone still waiting.

Just a very polite "i don't know"; so I guess we all continue to sit and wait :yawn:

EDP has gotten more competitive. Typically they accept people who are above the average of the previous class. It's a risky move but it may pay off.

That GPA is hurting you imo.

We are all well aware of the fact that Ga Tech has professors who purposely create exams where an average test score is in the 20's. I'm also more aware than you may think of our admission standards and how they rank among the rest of the country. While you may think that graduating from Ga. Tech may make you an all-star, I must tell you that they are no better prepared (more often than not they are actually under prepared) for medical school than any other university in the state. I have 3 friends in my current class who were on scholarship at GT (one was a presidential scholar) and they all had ~3.0's after the first semester of medical school and that they will not be AOA. I will also tell you again that a 3.8/33 is a good applicant from any school (regardless of how you feel about GSU, Valdosta, etc), and that the applicant in question would most likely get into several schools in the SE, unless the applicant shares the same egotistical and boastful attitude that you seem to stink of in your threads.

BTW, about 115 of the matriculating students are those that attended UGA. Last year's class had about 35 Ga. Tech students. We have very few students from GSU, Ga. Southern, Valdosta, and KSU. Number 3 for my year was Emory and 4th as Duke.

It is expressly NOT my intent to disparage UGA; our other daughter recently graduated PBK and Magna (just missed Summa) from UGA in a tough English major. Arguably, UGA has indeed been the fastest rising (in terms of competitive entry) flagship state university in America over the past 15 years because of the HOPE. [An excellent College Guide asserts this.] Many of our brightest Georgia residents who once ("back in my day") went to schools such as Duke, Vandy, Emory, UVA, W&L, the Ivies, etc., are now staying home to go to UGA (and Tech), partly because of college costs soaring faster even than H/C costs over the past 20+ years (see stats below).

SAT averages have indeed soared in Athens--BUT they remain over 100 points below GT's averages, a substantive difference.
Tech now trails Emory just barely in SAT averages.UGA badly trumps places like Auburn and Bama. Everything is relative.

One should expect that UGA would be better represented among the MCG population; UGA graduates over twice as many, and almost 90% of UGA students are Georgia residents (versus <70% @ GT)--OOS students need not apply to MCG (except for MD/PhD).

GT is also clearly not a premed feeder school
; Emory, e.g., is arguably closer to that, and bills itself
as such to applicant families. In my day, Emory boasted that it had the highest percentage of applicants of any college accepted somewhere to medical school, but that was a bit artful-- we washed out/discouraged huge numbers that did not even get to the application point. It might be interesting to see the relative percentage of GT applicants who get accepted by MCG.

Frankly, Tech also does its students a disservice by its throwback, brutal grading regimen. A simple point: @ Tech, >3.55 graduates Summa C.L., but at UGA that requires > 3.9. There is NO WAY that SOM's like Washington U., Harvard, Hopkins, etc., would understand that different grading standard playing field. Too many graduate schools reflexively look only at raw averages, even as grade inflation has been rampant at places like Harvard's college.

In a similar vein, our premeds @ Emory
(early 70's...and still true) were frustrated that the medical schools did not adequately factor in that our relative competition was considerably better than the typical flagship state university, except UVA and W&M, e.g., in the South.

Then again, the average 4-year GT graduate starts at $55k, far above the average college grad, because Tech is the most competitive/highly regarded public technical school (MIT and Cal Tech are private schools) in America. GT is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's top ten public universities PERIOD in the U.S.

"College tuitions soar each year, advancing far in excess of the inflation rate. The overall inflation rate since 1986 increased 115.06%, which is why we pay more than double for everything we buy. On the other hand, during the same time, tuition increased a whopping 498.31%."

http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Articles/Education_Inflation.asp

Frankly, this is getting a little old. THIS thread is to talk about getting into MCG, and nothing else. I dont frequent SDN but am getting tired of checking this and seeing all kinds of other nonsense. There are lots of forums and blogs on the internet where you can argue the merit of particular schools, but please stop doing it here.

Thank you.

Frankly, this is getting a little old. THIS thread is to talk about getting into MCG, and nothing else. I dont frequent SDN but am getting tired of checking this and seeing all kinds of other nonsense. There are lots of forums and blogs on the internet where you can argue the merit of particular schools, but please stop doing it here.

Thank you.
EXACTLY! Please STOP this madness!

Doesn't this site have forum mods?

Doesn't this site have forum mods?

Yes there is a great group of mods; but they don't necessarily read every post in every school forum w/o reason.

However, I've made them aware of what is going on here and asked for assistance.

Deferred for later decision....aka waitlist at anywhere other than MCG.

:-(

Still waiting on my e-mail. Interviewed 11/16.

Deferred for later decision....aka waitlist at anywhere other than MCG.

:-(

Hey man that's okay! Have faith and be optimistic! That's only their initial decision. In the end... everything will work out for the best.. :)

I still haven't received an email from them if anyone else is wondering.

Hey man that's okay! Have faith and be optimistic! That's only their initial decision. In the end... everything will work out for the best.. :)

When did you interview?

Thanks.

I have an acceptance elsewhere, it would just have been nice since I live 3/4mile from the school.

Ultimately I will be an excellent Dr and if they don't want me ill go where I am wanted.

Such is life.

Accepted!! :) Interviewed 10/21

Accepted!!

Interviewed 10/31.

Congrats! I haven't heard anything yet. Eagerly waiting. Interviewed 10/19.

I knew to expect something today (or "Monday, at the latest"), because when I called yesterday afternoon, I was told the committee would be doing a make-up vote later in the day. She also filled me in that the problem in December was computer-related.

Waiting is the worst.:xf:

EDIT: I was wrong. Not getting in is the worst. Waiting is hard to bear, but really not a terrible thing. Waiting! Yes! Go team waiting!

Thank you.

Fair enough, folks. Res ipsa loquitur. Boy, there is much the angst-ridden hypersensitivity here (you could simply bypass posts about which you have no interest).

Good luck if you have the bona fides to merit acceptance...there truly is a reasonable method to the madness of the process, albeit clearly some fortuity as well (wrong chemistry/perception in an interview). I have served on an adcom; they like determination and dedication. There are worse things than taking some grad courses and/or working in the field and re-applying next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.