2011-2012 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vaguely remember them saying that you'd get one of two emails today- an acceptance or a deferral to another date. So it just means they haven't decided yet and your file will be reviewed again later. I could be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad.

Got this at 11:32am:

"I hope you enjoyed your interview day at the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University. The Committee will continue to assess your application within the context of the overall competitiveness of the total applicant pool. A final decision regarding your admissions status (acceptance; placement on the alternate list; or that your file can no longer be considered) will be made no later than April 2012.

Please do not hesitate to call me or *** if we can be of further assistance. Thank you for your interest in the Medical College of Georgia at Georgia Health Sciences University."

I have to say I am confused. They reviewed my application and didn't make a decision? Or is this a mistake e-mail?

You could always call and ask. I'm sure they'd be helpful in giving you a straighter answer.

So, just called. Apparently MCG doesn't alternate list anyone until the class is filled in March or April. Until then, all interviewees get a monthly update that is either accepted, rejected, or continued assessment. Continued assessment can mean that the committee was unable to reach a vote due to some disagreement or uncertainty, or simply ran out of time. They figure that each month you'll want to hear something, so even if it's no news they send you an email. I guess I'm waiting another month...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have an idea of how many applications they review at a time? Think there's any chance they'll get to November interviewees?

*impatience*

Does anyone have an idea of how many applications they review at a time? Think there's any chance they'll get to November interviewees?

*impatience*

Sorry but i interviewed on 10/31 and called today. I was told it was still being reviewed. I would assume that means neither of us will hear for a while.

Sorry but i interviewed on 10/31 and called today. I was told it was still being reviewed. I would assume that means neither of us will hear for a while.

My interviewer warned me that I would probably have to wait for the December meeting to be reviewed. Apparently, there is a backlog of people but the waiting is killing me.

This assumption is true, but a little misguided. It's true, since the committee will not vote again for a month. They vote once per month. It's misguided, because as I outlined above, the 'under review' or 'continued assessment' MAY mean that they didn't get to you, or that your file came up, but they weren't prepared to vote on you yet, and so put your file aside.

I interviewed on Oct. 19 (aka the first day of regular decision interviews) and got this notification, while at least one person who interviewed after me was today accepted. I assume that my file came up, but for whatever reason was not voted upon.

This assumption is true, but a little misguided. It's true, since the committee will not vote again for a month. They vote once per month. It's misguided, because as I outlined above, the 'under review' or 'continued assessment' MAY mean that they didn't get to you, or that your file came up, but they weren't prepared to vote on you yet, and so put your file aside.

I interviewed on Oct. 19 (aka the first day of regular decision interviews) and got this notification, while at least one person who interviewed after me was today accepted. I assume that my file came up, but for whatever reason was not voted upon.

Just to clarify I'm not misguided, my file was not deferred ie "under review". I did NOT get any notification from the school.

I called and specifically asked and she said they had not gotten to my application yet and I interviewed on 10/31.

Last edited:
Just to clarify I'm not misguided, my file was not deferred ie "under review". I did NOT get any notification from the school.

I called and specifically asked and she said they had not gotten to my application yet and I interviewed on 10/31.

My bad. I just re-read my post and realized how snarky it sounded. Sorry about that, and thanks for the additional info.

Accepted!!! :):):)

Good luck everyone, it's still early!

Do you know when they are having the Dec meeting?

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! Interviewed 10/21. Good luck everyone!

I'm interviewing on Friday! :D
<--- excited

I'm interviewing on Friday! :D
<--- excited

Guess I'll finally get to meet you Friday then... since apparently I missed you by this >-< much for Emory interviews!
I'll wish you good luck in person... :)

They meet every Thursday, but it is my understanding they only vote once per month. I was asking about the next voting day, the day after which should be an acceptance/rejection email day for some of us. :/

I didn't realize that. But hopefully today's the day and we both get accepted :)

That would be fantastic! :) I think they will probably meet right before Dec 25

They will be closed the week of Christmas....thus my GUESS would be they would likely vote on 22nd and send results on the 23rd.

If they were nice they would do a week sooner so I can stop stressing....but I doubt that is very important to them :rolleyes:

Guess I'll finally get to meet you Friday then... since apparently I missed you by this >-< much for Emory interviews!
I'll wish you good luck in person... :)

i only just saw this :)
what a small world! it was great meeting you :D

They only meet on Thursday's until later in the cycle. I wouldn't expect acceptances to be made until the week before Christmas. Check the campus calendar to get an idea when this would be.

So I know we are supposed to update the committee once our fall semester grades are final, but has anyone ever waited until Feb/Mar to send these grades in? Does the committee automatically email everyone reminding them to send in an update with Fall grades, or is this more of a suggested rather than mandatory request?

So I know we are supposed to update the committee once our fall semester grades are final, but has anyone ever waited until Feb/Mar to send these grades in? Does the committee automatically email everyone reminding them to send in an update with Fall grades, or is this more of a suggested rather than mandatory request?

Sure. No. Why would you wait?

I believe their last board meeting date should be Thursday, December 15th. So we should be getting our e-mails on the 16th or so. I would say they were meeting on the 22nd, but their school is closed on the 23rd leaving no time to disperse letters. Also, at some point during the interview, I remember one of the hosts telling us that they would take the latter half of December off.

Edit: Last board meeting date for the month of December

Last edited:
Did anyone else get campus assignments this past Friday? Athens here I come...

I am not sure where I would rather be, but I was just curious if there was something wrong with Athens?

I am not sure where I would rather be, but I was just curious if there was something wrong with Athens?

Nope, nothing wrong with the Athens campus. I already live in Augusta so I was relieved to be assigned here. The prospect of uprooting my family to move from Augusta to Athens for no real reason was not very enticing.

Tomorrow should be an acceptance day for some!

And for some, not so much...but for now, good luck everyone!

GL today! That is if there are acceptances going out.

Ok, 10/31 interview and nothing today as of 3PM.

Not sure what they are doing, but not looking like we are hearing today.

Just tired of checking my email!!!

Same here! No news...I interviewed early November also. Hopefully we'll find out next week. If not, I guess January it is.

During my interview, they mentioned they recently made their December vote, so I'm guessing decisions will probably be let out soon? They won't have another big vote until January.

During my interview, they mentioned they recently made their December vote, so I'm guessing decisions will probably be let out soon? They won't have another big vote until January.

When did you interview???????

Just called the Admissions Office. Apparently, "due to some circumstances," the committee did not vote last week, meaning there was no December vote. They will vote in January, but the Office would not say when.

This sucks gigantically, as I have some decisions to make no later than January 9, and they will almost certainly not vote before then.

Just called the Admissions Office. Apparently, "due to some circumstances," the committee did not vote last week, meaning there was no December vote. They will vote in January, but the Office would not say when.

This sucks gigantically, as I have some decisions to make no later than January 9, and they will almost certainly not vote before then.

I just called and got the same answer.

Not happy, since they usually vote end of month we wont likely hear till late Jan.

That will be 3 months from interview to decision. Pretty poor IMHO.

I just called and got the same answer.

Not happy, since they usually vote end of month we wont likely hear till late Jan.

That will be 3 months from interview to decision. Pretty poor IMHO.

Oh, sorry for the misinformation. I was under the impression that they had already voted.

Shoot! I can't wait any longer haha. Well I guess I will go back to playing Xbox.

so I shouldn't expect any MCG love this week? T-T

DO acceptance?

Posted FYI (hopefully helpful) by a proud dad...our prodigy progeny was accepted immediately after interviewing in the first group in Oct....adcom takes about a month, then notifies immediately by e-mail...33Q (score arrived late in cycle...took MCAT in Sept.), 3.81 overall @ GT, best, most competitive technical school in the South (brutal grading > 3.55 graduates Summa Cum Laude), superior EC's and leadership, decent trailing and hospital volunteering, but almost no research (really too busy); traditional first-time applicant. Students were very nice--seemed collegial versus "gunner" atmosphere...good idea to stay with student host. Class size now increased to 230, with 40 of those in Athens. Almost all from Ga. except handful of Ph.D/MD. Low stress interview with one M.D. Good luck kids!
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.